dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-13 15:50:11: Citing anonymous sources, IntoMobile claims AT&T will launch their LTE network in New York City as early as June 30, with plans to offer LTE in Los Angeles on July 24. ..

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer

Premium Member

More Death Star Antics...

While this would be normally good news for for people, the Death Star has to implement the caviat that full deployment hinges on approval of the T-Mo acquisition.

This is extortion...industry after industry is doing it. Big oil said yesterday if the tax incentives went away so would jobs. Now big T is saying approve or you have our usual network...which only a few like....no mater how you cut it, this is a quid pro quo..(so was the Baker B*tch)

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Re: More Death Star Antics...

And even if the tmobile merger is approved, I don't think the lte rollout will change. It's going to be a half-ass built network that wont be completed for many years. And if for some reason at&t does build a good network, it will no doubt be filled with low caps, overages and throttling.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by djdanska:

And even if the tmobile merger is approved, I don't think the lte rollout will change. It's going to be a half-ass built network that wont be completed for many years.

If the merger is approved, AT&T will have their hands full merging the 2 companies. Not a whole lot of effort will go in to a fast rollout of LTE beyond the top 10 cities.
RDC17
join:2011-05-15
Vienna, VA

RDC17

Actually most of the current HSPA+ cities should see LTE in the coming months. AT&T will keep rolling out LTE, we shouldn't see a completed combination of the two networks for about a year after closing.

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ

EvelKub to djdanska

Premium Member

to djdanska
Well LTE launched on AWS isn't going to be great... My experience with AWS in Phoenix showed that I would have 5 bars of signal outside of a Target store, step in to the store and I would have no service.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to djdanska

to djdanska
And you think they're not busy building out LTE now? They just don't sit around and wait. Look how fast DSL can be installed once another company is providing HSI to an area. DSL is available over night and why? because the equipment is already installed and just not used. They're doing it now with U-Verse. Install the equipment and leave it until the need or they decide to turn it on.

I wouldn't be surprised if ATT and TMO both started building out LTE already.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Att, yes. T-mobile nope. Tmobile said before the merger they had no plans on going lte anytime soon. They where going to push HSPA+ to over 650 Mb/s instead. I was referring to att's 90+ of the country built with lte. I expect major areas to get it, yes. But I have major doubts about ruralville montana and the likes.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

just because a company says NO they're not doing it- doesn't mean they're not in the back ground. That's what I just said that you agreed to but then didn't. Telco's do it all the time. they'll build out and say "nope not available and we don't have the equipment" next thing you know BOOM! it's there and could have been turned on years ago.
Expand your moderator at work

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList

Premium Member

YIPPEE!

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer

Battery

Doesn't LTE/4G kill battery life? When I had an EVO, the battery would drain within hours with the 4G antenna active. I would never use it for this reason alone.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Re: Battery

Engadget review of Droid Charge indicates the phone gets great battery life even with LTE on. Apparently they fixed the issue or something.
RDC17
join:2011-05-15
Vienna, VA

RDC17

Re: Battery

Newer chipsets. But 4G battery life should get even better once phones get combi 3G/4G chips. Also LTE and WiMAX are data only so they require 2G/3G for voice. Having two radios running at once isn't great for battery life.

Once LTE gets voice support you should see a great improvement in battery life of phones.
Expand your moderator at work

Attowusa
@mycingular.net

Attowusa

Anon

Att least att is more flexible with data Plans

If u have phone, tethering cost nothing extra since they throw for your use extra 2gb. Can Verizon say the same thing that does not even have LTE phones yet lol. and hspa through iphone averages 3mb/s wih latency below 100 ms which is quite nice in terms of speed and coverage outside major cities. Verizoon boo it's fast but caps at 5gb at $50. And it's LTE coverage is still in infancy even at the end of 2011. They want too much money.

Lololo lol lol

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

1 edit

buddahbless

Re: At least ATT is more flexible with data Plans

there not more flexible they just have more plan options theres a big difference in the two! Also ATT does charge you for tethering its included in the price you pay for 2gb of data, did you not notice all the Iphone customers who wanted tethering? ATT told them to get it they had to give up there unlimited plan for $30 a month and only get a 2GB data plan for $25 instead, that seems a lot LESS flexible to me!
vlad1000
join:2005-05-19
Brooklyn, NY

vlad1000

any idea on pricing??

i know this won't be unlimited....but do you think this will be any cheaper than Thief-rizon?
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Re: any idea on pricing??

it will more likely have entry level introductory prices for 3/4g hotspots and sticks like 3GB cap plan starting at $40 or $35 like all we see now more flexible data plans for ipads/tablets. This will compete with sprint and Verizon. But as a dominant company with fastest and largest wireless broadband I don't think so. Now verizon's lte is faster than anything but does not have a large coverage.