spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-20 08:48:46: We've followed along as for four consecutive years, Time Warner Cable has tried to pass new laws they have written in North Carolina either banning or constricting community broadband in the state. ..

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Won't sign it or veto it - smartest move

My guess is that, as a politician, she will neither sign nor veto it but let the bill become law without her commenting on it. If she vetoed it, she runs the chance of annoying the legislature where both houses bi-partisanly passed it by large margins. If she signs it, she gets all the bad press about being a cable company lackey. Ignore it altogether and at most she just has to say she is honoring the will of the voters thru their elected representatives.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

Re: Won't sign it or veto it - smartest move

The fact that you think this is "smart" is very telling. I would call it being a sell out puddle of primordial ooze.

But hey, to each is own right?
talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

1 recommendation

said by DataRiker:

The fact that you think this is "smart" is very telling. I would call it being a sell out puddle of primordial ooze.

But hey, to each is own right?

By "smart", he merely meant "best for her career".

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

Sounds like the MMJ bill here. We all voted for it and they turn around and "modify" it to please the people who voted against it.

Then the governor decides not to sign it or veto it, which seems just as bad as signing the bill.

The problem is that all it does is make people think you ignored it in the hopes of the bill going away.
--
Bresnan 18M/1M
MyWS[i7-870@4.1G,16G RAM,2x1T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,512M RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital QP DE504,Compaq DP NC3131,2xSun QP GigaSwift, SMC 8432BTA, Gentoo Linux]

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

Gov Perdue will let it become law without signing it just as I predicted. And she used almost the same justification as I thought she would:

»www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/20/···eto.html
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

HappyAnarchy

@iauq.com
He doesn't really sound like he is happy about it.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1

Send her an e-mail

If you want to protest this bill, send the governor an E mail. Link is in the story.

May not change anything but you will feel better.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

Re: Send her an e-mail

Should pressure TW too
drzewo

join:2001-08-22
Cary, NC

Re: Send her an e-mail

Don't know how much traction that would get. I think of that like asking a tiger to go vegan.
drzewo

Cary, NC

1 recommendation

I'm not the best writer, but I did send a quick email to Bev, as we call her here. Just to amuse the group, I have copied the text:

Subject: Please Veto the Time Warner Bill H129

Dear Governor Purdue:

Time Warner Cable faces very little competition from other Internet service providers, not only in North Carolina, but in much of their footprint throughout the nation. This virtual monopoly and sometimes duopoly has allowed them to adopt and roll out advanced services much more slowly than Comcast when threatened by Verizon Fios, or Time Warner themselves when worried about AT&T Uverse.

I am perplexed that both the House and Senate would pass a bill that was essentially written and funded by TWC. The purpose of this bill is so obvious: to stifle local competition initiated by communities who are unhappy with TWC's service. I ask you to respect the abilities and freedom of our communities to make decisions about Internet service deployments--without TWC telling us what's better for us.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

>

Cary, NC

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
You can call Governor Bev Perdue at (919) 733-2391 or email governor.office@nc.gov
--
The Progressive's social model is as obsolete as slavery.
NC_Resident

join:2001-12-22
Goldsboro, NC
Did that and she refuses to veto. While a level playing field is just, I don't feel the playing field is any more level. Now TWC will have more authority to slow down those DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

North Carolina

Guess I can scratch NC off my list of possible states to relocate to someday :/
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Re: North Carolina

said by n2jtx:

Guess I can scratch NC off my list of possible states to relocate to someday :/

Why would you do that? Pretty soon 238% of the state will be covered in broadband!
--
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." --L. van Pelt
drzewo

Cary, NC

1 recommendation

Almost spit out my coffee reading this one. Thanks for the laugh.
poppachocks

join:2009-06-02
Thank God I was able to tell TW to stick it over a year ago when my local phone company rolled out their 20mbit DLS in the area where I live. I laugh when I hear TW's TV ad saying their cable speeds are three times faster than DSL. I was paying almost 60.00 a month for their lousy "turbo" connection at 10mbits over a year ago, I'm sure it has went up even more since then. At least there are a few places in NC where TW has some competiton.
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

They are 3x faster than DSL. It's compared to the lowest tier if you read the fine print. But of course nobody does anymore. And when your DLS line that is older than my house rots you'll have no option but to move if you don't have Internet. Remember Copper telephone wiring is on average OVER 50 years old.
WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

The votes of the state threw out the Democrats and replaced them with Republicans in both state Houses. The voters will get to decide if they like what they are doing or they throw the bums out. The Republican Party makes no bones about being for Big Business and small government so no voter can say they did not realize what they were voting for. Votes count.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by hottboiinnc:

Remember Copper telephone wiring is on average OVER 50 years old.

Of course, that means the copper in my neighborhood must have been deployed four years before the tract was built here. And ignores the fact that some telcos do expend capital to maintain and upgrade the plant. No way U-verse (or ADSL 2+, for that matter) can work on rotting copper. AT&T installed a spanking new 100-pair F2 in our neighborhood just over a year ago. And that was about five years after SBD replaced the aging 50-pair 19 ga. copper with newer 50-pair 26 ga. copper.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
poppachocks

join:2009-06-02
My house was built in 2001, so I think my copper is still good for a while.
megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

All you need to know is...

VOTE OUT OF OFFICE ANY POLITICIAN WHO ALLOWS LAWS LIKE THIS.

To allow a law like this only serves one purpose - to stifle competition and keep their monopoly. This type of politician needs to be run out of office once and for all and send a clear signal to others to never, ever allow laws that stifle competition in the marketplace ever.

People of NC - take a look at the bill, write down the names and put them aside for the next election cycle. Vote for those who stood against it and vote out anyone who put their name on this bill. Send them home.

vzw emp

@rr.com

Re: All you need to know is...

She took the easy way out. This bill in no way has the best interests of the citizens of North Carolina in mind, it is anti-consumer in every conceivable way (as previous incarnations of the NC legislature determined by killing this bill four times). Saying she's honoring the will of the people through their elected representatives is a lie and she knows it. She criticized the law but didn't use the power at her disposal to do anything about it. Politics at its worst.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

Re: All you need to know is...

said by vzw emp :

She took the easy way out. This bill in no way has the best interests of the citizens of North Carolina in mind, it is anti-consumer in every conceivable way (as previous incarnations of the NC legislature determined by killing this bill four times). Saying she's honoring the will of the people through their elected representatives is a lie and she knows it. She criticized the law but didn't use the power at her disposal to do anything about it. Politics at its worst.

While I don't think this law is as bad as some are making it out to be, I do agree she should have used her veto power to nullify it. I voted for her because she ran on a platform of standing up for citizens and sticking to her guns ... I won't be voting for her again.
megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
I don't see many politicians that ever have the people in mind and how someone can ever claim that is true when the only purpose of the bill is to block a competitor from ever existing just blows my mind. If they are there to do the job WE send them there to do then this is clearly them not doing their job and they need to be fired - either by recall or by electing them out of office.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

1 edit

The actual bill is very different from the message on DSLR

Karl, the actual bill would be nice to be included, instead we are stuck with your characterization.

Here's the link (had to Google to find it)

»www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/20···29v3.pdf
MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

Re: Maybe a link to the actual bill so people could read it?

Well, slap me silly. The actual bill (now that I found it and took the time to read it) is absolutely nothing like it's characterized here.

To summarize the bill: (let's use the term MuSP for Municipal-Owned Service Provider, to save typing)

- MuSPs must follow all communications regulations like ISPs.
- MuSPs must have separate books, follow accounting principles, and publish an audited annual report.
- MuSPs must serve the municipality, not grow extra territorially.
- MuSPs must provide access to their infrastructure for ISPs at the same terms and rates that they give their customers.
- MuSPs must buy their own advertising, and not piggyback on government communications channels.
- MuSPs cannot be subsidized by other government fund sources.
- MuSPs cannot price their offerings below the cost of providing the service.
- MuSPs must pay back to the city/state an amount equivalent to what an ISP would pay in taxes/fees for an equivalent service.
- MuSPs must hold public hearings before starting up a new service.
- MuSPs must hold a special election before issuing debt bonds.
- A Municipality must hold an open RFP process to allow private bidders to compete for the MuSP business.
- None of this applies to internal municipality networks, MuSPs only fall under this bill if they offer consumer services.
- None of this applies to MuSPs that are serving "unserved areas", which means more than half the households have no broadband service (and satellite doesn't count).

So, basically, the bill says that if a municipality wants to start their own MuSP, they have to do it on a level playing field basis with private services, be open and transparent with their accounting and funding, not subsidize it, pay the same taxes/fees that private industry would, and be open to accepting bids for the service from private industry, rather than just doing it themselves. Oh and by the way this only applies if the MuSP is essentially overbuilding in an area already served by private services -- not if it's some rural underserved area.

How is this "banning or crippling community fiber projects"? All it says is that they have to do it openly and fairly.