dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-20 11:23:39: Over the last few years, Verizon's been repeatedly tinkering and experimenting with their wireless data pricing -- trying to figure out what customers are willing to pay. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Sprint

Here I come. The unlimited data with VZW was the only thing keeping me around. Its amazing how cellphone habits have changed. I have some family plan, 700 minutes. You know how many I used last month? 31.
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

Here I come. The unlimited data with VZW was the only thing keeping me around. Its amazing how cellphone habits have changed. I have some family plan, 700 minutes. You know how many I used last month? 31.

Agree'd, if they force me out of my unlimited data on my new Thunderbolt I'll be gone from VZW and most likely going with Sprint, I think Sprint roams on VZW's network right?

Matt

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

Say Bye Bye to Unlimited Data

/sarcasm

Wow, I didn't see that coming!
said by Verizon CFO Fran Shammo :
After this change the company will look to soften the blow
An admission they know how consumers will see LTE as very expensive.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00 to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q

Re: Sprint

same here

if they force me off my Unlimited data, then i'll take my 150+ dollars a month elsewhere
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

Pricing on family plan?

I wonder what the price for family plan data buckets will be? Hopefully it will be cheaper than having 3 or 4 $30/mo. data plans attached to the account...

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00

I just got an Inspire phone through ATT, got the 2 gig data plan, which isn't much, but between the wifi, and pass through internet option ( kind of like tethering ) don't use much of the wireless other than calls. this country sucks when it comes to wireless.

icp1
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

icp1

Premium Member

irony

No irony at all with the other half of verizon saying the opposite on the FIOS side (for now)

»Verizon Still Doesn't See the Need for Caps [51] comments
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

mmay149q to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT

Re: Say Bye Bye to Unlimited Data

said by WHT:

An admission they know how consumers will see LTE as very expensive.

More like an admission that they know consumers won't be too happy and will know they are getting screwed (if overages are included) I still have more faith in VZW on consumer happiness than I do some other companies, but I'm curious if this "keep your unlimited data with LTE!!!" pull to get people over has been a "testing ground" to see what all the network will handle, and what average data people are pulling to set the caps/family caps/etc at a reasonable level.

See I don't see why they can't just have different plans for different people, so IE Customer A Needs the phone to always have full bandwidth 100% of the time for work or whatever, so Customer A buys a data plans with XGB cap and will pay reasonable overages after passing that cap (especially if the monthly data charge is lowered because of this)
and another option for Customer B that says "Well you have XGB cap on your 4G and after you pass this cap you are then throttled back to CDMA/EDGE speeds)

To be honest, I don't even see why any company would want to throttle anyone back to dial up speeds on their mobile, yeah it will let you browse Facebook or etc on your phone, and yeah it will let you do most things online you want to do with your cell, but it majorly limits you, whereas bumping down to 3G speeds still allows you to do most things, why ruin the customers experience?

Matt

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345 to mmay149q

Anon

to mmay149q

Yes they can roam on Verizon network but it is limited to 300MB a month.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to icp1

Premium Member

to icp1

Re: irony

No irony at all considering network capacities are significantly different between the two offerings.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to woody7

Premium Member

to woody7

You're grandfathered in.

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

Skipdawg to Woody79_00

to Woody79_00
I left AT&T for their nonsense. If this is happening with VW then yes I'll go to Sprint too and if they do it I'll just go to a simple prepaid burn phone and say the heck with it all. I kept my land line for a reason. I saw them ALL getting stupid.

icp1
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

icp1 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

said by openbox9:

No irony at all considering network capacities are significantly different between the two offerings.

Major irony, because they are the same company. What you are saying is its ok not to invest in network capacity for wireless and just charge for that lack of foresight? Huh, sound like anyone else in the market these days??

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I have plans to jump the AT&T ship in a year...

I have plans to jump the AT&T ship in a year to Verizon. I hope that their data plans will be more in line with sanity as versus AT&T in which their data plans are just plain stupid!
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to south1178

Premium Member

to south1178

Agreed. Everyone that has unlimited now will be grandfathered. Though, at some point, they'll figure out a way to get you un-grandfathered.

Should that point come, I'll just get a plain ole no-data-at-all-phone.

It's like my 3G data card. Grandfathered in to the unlimited plan. They'll have to pry that account from my cold, dead hands. And if they do, I'll just turn it off.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to icp1

Premium Member

to icp1

No, they are actually different companies, with Verizon Communications, Inc. owning a 55% share of Cellco Partnership, d.b.a. Verizon Wireless. Verizon Wireless has, and is, investing heavily in wireless infrastructure and capacity.

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345 to Razzy12345

Anon

to Razzy12345

Excuse me, I am wrong I think.

Sprint Smartphones should have unlimited data roaming - I checked my data usage on sprint.com and it says Unlimited on Data Roaming part.

So the tethering plans has the 300MB data roaming limitation.
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to icp1

Premium Member

to icp1

I don't have a article to back it up, because I can't find it, but there was a article put out within the last year talking about VZW saying they will throttle people and they are already putting it into practice, you never know, VZW has had a long time to sit back and see what happens with AT&T going to caps and overages on the cell data, they may just go the way of T-Mobile and throttle you after a certain usage limit.

Also VZW and FiOS are technically two separate companies just so you know. That's the way it's setup.

Matt

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Great

More of this crap.

I hate to say this but, we might just go back to the old days before internet use. Go back to paper billing and checks.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q

VZW added the throttling verbiage to it's ToS last year and there were a few articles/discussions on the matter.
openbox9

openbox9 to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303

Re: Great

Uhuh. How are you going to do that when banks and businesses are scaling those down as fast a possible? Besides, checks need to disappear. They are an expensive and slow method of transferring money.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

elray to icp1

to icp1

said by icp1:

said by openbox9:

Major irony, because they are the same company. What you are saying is its ok not to invest in network capacity for wireless and just charge for that lack of foresight? Huh, sound like anyone else in the market these days??

And just how much wireless network capacity do you think is available to buy and deploy? FCC Auctions typically yield 10-12 Mhz.

No amount of money can change the laws of physics.

That "anyone else" knew well they were going to oversubscribe their capacity, but did not care, nor did the vendor that gave them the exclusive sales contract, self-assured that their flock would lay down the coin regardless of the quality of service delivered.

»www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/ga ··· eligion/
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Time to Give Up the Smartphones

It's funny how they're adding all these bells and whistles, and they're all trying to gouge you when you use them.

Considering how ridiculously overpriced data is on phones, I'm strongly considering just cutting mine off and getting out of this circus when my contract runs out.

They think we're dependent on these things. Maybe some people are. But others are really going to rethink this whole charade.

I have a Blackberry Curve now, which isn't good for much more than basic webpage surfing (and can even be poor at that). What's the point in me getting some new fancy Android phone if all it will do is get me overages upon overages? Anyone thinking logically can see what's going on here.

It's no wonder they want to bring the wireless model to the wirelines. And considering the way prices for everything are rising, soon every greedy corporation is in for a rude awakening.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56 to openbox9

to openbox9

I still use paper checks because why should I do something that is going to save my bank or wireless company money? As long as I write a check and mail it they still have to pay to print it, mail it and pay someone to open it and manually enter it. Screw them. I'm happy to inconvenience them.

FWIW my health insurance is automatically deducted electronically. Don't want to let that miss a day. Any excuse they have to drop you they take full advantage of.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

said by rit56:

I'm happy to inconvenience them.

we think alike.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to rit56

Premium Member

to rit56
And you pay $0.44 to mail that check that cost you a couple of pennies to print in the first place. Add that to overhead your bank and companies that you do business with incur, and you're going to pay increasing prices for services. Personally, I could care less about you inconveniencing them, but I'm honestly surprised that anyone is willing to inconvenience themselves any more than necessary in today's world. To each their own I guess. For me, I can't wait for the day that fax machines, paper checks and billing, even cash, and of course my most detested holdover from that last generation, cursive writing, finally die.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to Razzy12345

to Razzy12345

Sprint will need to capitalize on this as it's really the only way they can differentiate from the big 2. Sprint simply must keep the unlimited data option to remain relevant.

Even so, for those who would be roaming full time with Sprint, you shouldn't use them as voice minutes do have roaming limits. I travel a great deal and roam on Sprint at times in small towns/rural areas but haven't even come close to the roaming (voice) limits. Even if they eventually have roaming data limits, is not an issue as long as you live/work in Sprint coverage.
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Just curious, since usually the congestion is located to just the cell tower (at least as far as I know and from what I've read) what's to stop them from just throttling all users on that tower when it's over subscribed down to a slower capacity that the tower can handle (so let's say they run 1Gbps to the tower, and with all the current people on it they are trying to pull 1.5Gbps and it throttles everyone back to a max usage of 800Mbps) Or is this technology already in use today?

Matt

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Discrimination...

against those that don't have families. /sarcasm

On a more serious note, if they lower their price model based on metrics of usage (since only 5% use 90% of the bandwidth) in that say MOST never exceed 5GB/month and price that at $19.99 ... I'm happy with that.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

I would rather give 44 cents to the post office, then give 44 cents to a greedy isp company so there stock can go up 1/2 a point up.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next