dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-20 11:23:39: Over the last few years, Verizon's been repeatedly tinkering and experimenting with their wireless data pricing -- trying to figure out what customers are willing to pay. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

9 year VZW customer will leave VZW over this...

First of all I'm in contract and if they change the terms of my contract I will hold them in breach of contract and sever the relationship. At the end of said contract I will cancel our nationwide family plan with 4 phones plus data and go to one of the several carriers offering unlimited voice and data.

VZW are you listening? Despite my hate of all things involving your parent company I have come to your defenses several times over the past years....no more if this is the kind of crap you plan for our future kiss this business goodbye.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

time for regulators to step in?

Bye competition... hello Duopoly...
You PAY $$ REAL MONEY in taxes and fees... might be time for the state & federal regulators to step in and force price changes and terms of service changes, in addition quality of service goals such as in the days of land-line copper regulation too!
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to talz13

to talz13

Re: Pricing on family plan?

probably not, it will become the same price per phone, or more. They will probably just charge the same, and call it a bucket.
Its just like AT$T. They just want your money, and will find a way to make your bill go up.
I am still on the $30 per month Iphone unlimited data plan, and i use an average of 8GB per month(I stream a lot of pandora, and tether at work). I have never gotten an email from them about tethering because there is no way for AT&T to differentiate between data from the phone and data from a tethered idevice if it is jailbroken. AT$T is know for taking shots in the dark, and they often go by average data usage in a month. If they see a spike, they claim tether. I will keep my unlimited untill the they wont let me anymore, and then I will be moving to sprint, because by then, sprint will have an idevice.

VZWCustomer
@cox.net

VZWCustomer

Anon

I've had VZW for about 10 years.

This sounds like their greed is showing. They grow their network bandwidth into 4G, but now charge more and give less?

That's evil and sinful. In the least, they ought to continue the same level of service for the same price, rather than up the prices on people and give less.

I sense many people will be dropping VZW in the near future.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

What!?!?!!

We just got 2 D2G's in December (w/2yr Contract) and they're going to toast our data plans?

Like I need to pay more. I already pay around $165/mo. If they switch me to a different data plan I'm going with a dumb-phone (or heavily modify my D2G) and switching to a Straight Talk plan.

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Asus RT-AC87

N10Cities

Premium Member

They don't give a date for the change...

Before they do change their plans, if you get an unlimited plan now or currently have one, wouldn't you be grandfathered in?

(yes I know they were discussing this earlier, but I think they were referring to AT&T)...

Am eligible for phone upgrade and had my eye on a 'Droid phone...

tiffyj
@rr.com

tiffyj to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym

Re: Sprint

i just got a text saying i could upgrade early, im guessing that will be the catch... when you upgrade they will enforce the new rules to your newly extended contract....

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by tiffyj :

i just got a text saying i could upgrade early, im guessing that will be the catch... when you upgrade they will enforce the new rules to your newly extended contract....

Helps if you read the contract you signed. Phone upgrades extend your contract, not replace it. The only way data gets changed from unlimited to the new plan is if you change your data plan or eliminate it and then add it back later.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

same here

if they force me off my Unlimited data, then i'll take my 150+ dollars a month elsewhere

Where exactly are you going when EVERYONES rape n' gouge?
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Nightfall

to Nightfall
Not always true. If you take the promo price for the phone- you lose your current contract and MUST sign a new one that is offered. if you pay full price for that phone then YES your current plan will be there. you can NOT transfer your current plan to a new phone that you get under promo. ALL carriers do not allow that and actually say "NEW contracts ONLY".
hottboiinnc4

to Nightfall
Again; not true. Just because you change your DATA it is NOT required for the phone and is an Add-on service to the phone. It states that. You can change your data plan at anytime without changing your contract. All carriers and customers know that. The only thing is once you change to unlimited you can never get it back if its not offered.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
if you pay promo pricing for that phone NO you will NOT get to keep your current contract. You will get a new plan that is offered. If you pay FULL price for the phone; you'll get to keep your plan.
hottboiinnc4

to Nightfall
if you upgrade your phone under the Promo price you get a NEW contract 99% of the time. You will NOT just extend your contract. Those prices are for NEW customers.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to xenophon

to xenophon
Roaming Limits:

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: irony

correct. VZ was NOT allowed to fully buy out all of their "companies" to create the wireless network. Instead they had to create VZW with VodaFone and with the actual name of CellCo Partnership. And that is actually required to stay if not; they can be split. That is why you'll never be able to talk to customer service on landline side about VZW and the other way around.

It's like at&t mobility and at&t. They're actually TWO separate companies. at&t, Inc and at&t mobility,LLC.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix

Galaxy s2

Don't be in too much of a rush the Galaxy S II currently is a GSM only model phone and on evil ATT band none the less... ( dosen't mean they wont make a cdma version down the line).

Also im sure if Verizon wants to ( be dirty like ATT) they will change your TOS and wiggle in some BS if you upgrade, you can keep your unlimited talk and text, but you can NOT keep your unlimited DATA.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

unfortunately

Sadly, i'm sure sprint will at the advice of probably the same that advise att and verizon, jump on the super low cap band wagon as well in the future. Granted, imo, they'd do much better if they didn't, but the grass is always greener on the other side ya know!....

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

just get a freaking Virgin Mobile phone on Sprint! LOL
$25 a month unlimited.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q

said by mmay149q:

said by baineschile:

Here I come. The unlimited data with VZW was the only thing keeping me around. Its amazing how cellphone habits have changed. I have some family plan, 700 minutes. You know how many I used last month? 31.

Agree'd, if they force me out of my unlimited data on my new Thunderbolt I'll be gone from VZW and most likely going with Sprint, I think Sprint roams on VZW's network right?

Matt

Yea, they roam every time you leave the interstate

buddahbless
Premium

buddahbless to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Re: unfortunately

unfortunate Virgin caps you @ 5GB than throttles u down to stone age speeds just like Tmobile , cricket..etc.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory

Re: Great

I've needed proof of residence once, and any utility bill with my name and address was sufficient. Printed copy from the Internet worked just fine. Never had a problem obtaining a passport or driver's license, and I didn't need a copy of any utility bill. Maybe I'm an anomaly in this regard?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Good

They are being smart and proactive in network management like AT&T is now. Hopefully both carriers will finally kill off unlimited data in the coming years.

spork
@sbcglobal.net

spork to woody7

Anon

to woody7

This assumes the availability of a no-data phone and an no-data plan. The last time I swapped phones on my ~$8/mo. 50 minute legacy employee plan, they informed me that I had just performed my last swap. You had better believe I take good care of that phone.

bobgwen
join:2001-07-07
Bartow, FL

bobgwen to buddahbless

to buddahbless

said by buddahbless:

unfortunate Virgin caps you @ 5GB than throttles u down to stone age speeds just like Tmobile , cricket..etc.

Well isn't it better to be throttled when you reach the so called "cap" instead of being cut off?
bobgwen

bobgwen to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: Good

said by BiggA:

They are being smart and proactive in network management like AT&T is now. Hopefully both carriers will finally kill off unlimited data in the coming years.

What?? Are trying to be funny? Why sell smart phones at all? Why sell these phones that they advertise that can watch movies on or watch tv or browse internet or whatever, and I can see how a person can easily reach the phony "cap" every month. Why advertise "unlimited" with selling an ever increasing smart phones that get smarter every few months then they penalize you for utilizing the freakin thing.
apollo80
join:2002-01-31
Richmond, VA

apollo80

What if...

...when my contract is about to expire, I upgrade my 3G Android Incredible to a 4G phone. Anyone know if going from 3G to 4G means a new contract and bye-bye to unlimited data?

Thanks in advance.

sprintccrep
@107.34.11.x

sprintccrep to Razzy12345

Anon

to Razzy12345

I work for care there is a 300mb whilre roaming cap we see not enforced unless you live in a roamimg area if your visiting or traveling they dont look at it we do same thing with voice roaming if you live in a roaming area. Thats always been there, but there is no caps or throttles and if you do go over the roaming data you get a text telling you to call sprint something is wrong. So we can fix the issue and no one is billed

buddahbless
Premium

buddahbless to bobgwen

to bobgwen

said by bobgwen:

said by buddahbless:

Well isn't it better to be throttled when you reach the so called "cap" instead of being cut off?

Id prefer Not being "caped" or "throttled" at all !!!

However if I must be it depends on the speed they throttle us down too. If I get at least a 256- 512kbps threshold than yes, sure, thats OK not good but OK. However as we see more and more companies are throttling down to 100k, 56k, or less thats ridiculous , anything you'd really want to use your dual core ,android, super smartphone phone for IE: youtube, pandora, netflix etc... its useless and not worth the hassle!

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

said by hottboiinnc4:

Not always true. If you take the promo price for the phone- you lose your current contract and MUST sign a new one that is offered. if you pay full price for that phone then YES your current plan will be there. you can NOT transfer your current plan to a new phone that you get under promo. ALL carriers do not allow that and actually say "NEW contracts ONLY".

Now I have Verizon service for My Phone, I recently had to replace said phone at My own cost, As It had no insurance, the old phone had gotten washed by accident as I was in a hurry cause of some reasons that were compelling Me to hurry, In any case I replaced the phone with one I bought off of ebay($11.13 I think & that includes shipping), which works just fine, Now I don't have a data or internet plan as I just use the Samsung sch-u540 as a phone as that's all I need, I have a PC for internet after all. The used sch-u540 was put on My contract as if It was the original, Which still partly works, It just can't detect the Verizon network and It eats the battery like crazy, Even when the cover is closed as the phone stays on... So now I have a spare battery and battery cover. Of course service where I live could be better, But then I live under a metal roof which probably doesn't help much.

sream
Premium Member
join:2002-08-17
Kalamazoo, MI

sream to buddahbless

Premium Member

to buddahbless

No they don't. I tethered at least 15GB last month plus what I use on the phone.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next