dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-20 11:23:39: Over the last few years, Verizon's been repeatedly tinkering and experimenting with their wireless data pricing -- trying to figure out what customers are willing to pay. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

ssj4android
Redefining Reality
join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI

ssj4android to mmay149q

to mmay149q

Re: irony

If the congestion is only at the tower, why would they limit the total amount of bandwidth to something less than full capacity?
Just do some QoS to distribute the bandwidth fairly.
cringey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Whitehouse Station, NJ

cringey

Premium Member

Charging Per Byte for LTE?

It would be nice if VZW can get the 4G LTE network actually working before they start thinking about charging for the byte.

If they don't grandfather in who wants to pay for random reboots, lost connections, and 1X speeds?

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4

Re: Sprint

said by hottboiinnc4:

if you pay promo pricing for that phone NO you will NOT get to keep your current contract. You will get a new plan that is offered. If you pay FULL price for the phone; you'll get to keep your plan.

Typically they do grandfather old plan's. Sprint and Verizon have for me, and if you switch phone's you shouldn't lose your Unlimited 4G data on VZW to anyone who's worried. Once you have it they will likely follow in AT&T's footsteps and grandfather it in. It's not like older CDMA phones, to switch devices all you do is stick you SIM card into the new device.

Heck, I have put my Droid Charge SIM into my Pantech UML290 and had working 4G LTE data without any problems, though they will likely block that from working, but not device switching.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q
said by mmay149q:

said by baineschile:

Here I come. The unlimited data with VZW was the only thing keeping me around. Its amazing how cellphone habits have changed. I have some family plan, 700 minutes. You know how many I used last month? 31.

Agree'd, if they force me out of my unlimited data on my new Thunderbolt I'll be gone from VZW and most likely going with Sprint, I think Sprint roams on VZW's network right?

Matt

they cant change your billing structure in the middle of a contract...

one of the biggest reasons for many people going with the TB despite it being the LTE guinea pig was to grandfather yourself into the current data plans. as this article stated, there've been rumors of caps/tiers/etc for a long time. Sprint charges more for 4G phones even if you 1- dont want 4G speeds and 2- dont have WiMax in your area. We didnt want anything to do with that for 1-2 years
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to bobgwen

Premium Member

to bobgwen

Re: Good

There is a limited amount of spectrum, and normal users who don't sit there and do YouTube all month or run bittorrent on their phones won't have an issue with the cap, and, under AT&T's current system, save $60 per year.

Hello VZW
@nuvox.net

Hello VZW

Anon

Signed up for unlimited data this weekend

I just signed up with Verizon Wireless this weekend. They're still offering unlimited data for $30/month. The sales guy did say there was talk about switching to tiered pricing but that they had no official date yet.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to iLive4Fusion

MVM

to iLive4Fusion

said by iLive4Fusion:

said by hottboiinnc4:

if you pay promo pricing for that phone NO you will NOT get to keep your current contract. You will get a new plan that is offered. If you pay FULL price for the phone; you'll get to keep your plan.

Typically they do grandfather old plan's. Sprint and Verizon have for me, and if you switch phone's you shouldn't lose your Unlimited 4G data on VZW to anyone who's worried. Once you have it they will likely follow in AT&T's footsteps and grandfather it in. It's not like older CDMA phones, to switch devices all you do is stick you SIM card into the new device.

This is what I have been saying.

As long as you keep your contract, they can't change it. Therefore, even if you switch phones, you aren't changing your current contract. You are just extending it. If they decide to change your data plan for you to this new one, then you have grounds to terminate without paying an ETF.

With Sprint thinking about following the lead of data caps too, I really don't see a reason to jump ship to another carrier. I use less than 2gb per month even with tethering. Tmobile is offering 5gb for the same price. If Verizon steps up to the plate and offers the same, I wouldn't break a sweat if I was signing up as a new customer. As it is now, I am grandfathered in, so I don't have to worry about these caps.

rlittlemuel
@verizon.net

rlittlemuel to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym
when i got unlimited broadband card at time it was card, i was told i would always have unlimited and be on the newest, fastest system as long as i bought the equipment. now with 4 g i am told not the case. still will have unlimited but will always be on 3g and i was lied to. this has me so upset as i stuck around for this reason and again was lied to.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by rlittlemuel :

when i got unlimited broadband card at time it was card, i was told i would always have unlimited and be on the newest, fastest system as long as i bought the equipment. now with 4 g i am told not the case. still will have unlimited but will always be on 3g and i was lied to. this has me so upset as i stuck around for this reason and again was lied to.

Lied to by who? VZW salesmen will tell you anything to make a sale. We know more about releases and updates before they do.
vurnun2
join:2011-05-19
Altura, MN

vurnun2 to dvd536

to dvd536
probably back to cable and other phone providers for the unlimited plans they would otherwise miss for data.. Though personally, I dont have cell phones and think that for data needs, they dont cut it. I use data on my computer, thus I never saw the need for data services on my cell - esp since they dont do a good cross-over to my PC, So even when I had a cell phone, I ususally did not bother with data services for them.

But then , thats me and others with computers tht re not integrated with the cell phone...
vurnun2

vurnun2 to chances14

to chances14

Re: Time to Give Up the Smartphones

said by chances14:

said by Os:

It's funny how they're adding all these bells and whistles, and they're all trying to gouge you when you use them.

Considering how ridiculously overpriced data is on phones, I'm strongly considering just cutting mine off and getting out of this circus when my contract runs out.

They think we're dependent on these things. Maybe some people are. But others are really going to rethink this whole charade.

I have a Blackberry Curve now, which isn't good for much more than basic webpage surfing (and can even be poor at that). What's the point in me getting some new fancy Android phone if all it will do is get me overages upon overages? Anyone thinking logically can see what's going on here.

It's no wonder they want to bring the wireless model to the wirelines. And considering the way prices for everything are rising, soon every greedy corporation is in for a rude awakening.

most people nowadays are and verizon knows it

About the only type of cell I would be tempted to buy would be a basic cellphone for emergencies, assuming I had the money for it.. Otherwise, if I break down and need help, i would sooner flag down someone or go visit a farm house and ask permission to use theirs. baring that, if it is close enough i will go walk home if i can find something of use to get my car running again, or walk to nearest gas station. but then, I am also running the car less and a few other precautions to aviod unwarrented and unwanted suprises. I use my internet connection thats on the computer, because it makes more sense. And not only that, but my cell phones and my computers rarely interconnect. Which is especially stupid considering that at least one of them supports USB... So, why bother? Even other tech savy individuals in my family prefer the emergency cell phone plan to most cell phone plans except for my bother. His only phone is one that he feels he needs and gets a little bit of help with.

ally0131
@frontiernet.net

ally0131 to mmay149q

Anon

to mmay149q

I Heard on the news thismorning, that the pple that are already in a contract with vzw wouldnt change for now.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4