dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-06-15 08:15:25: The other day we noted once again that as voice and SMS become just data, voice minute and SMS revenues are threatened and carriers are pre-emptively responding by constricting the pipe and jacking up data costs. ..

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

Google Voice

I pay nothing extra for texting..

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

fifty nine

SMS is simple, that's why it's here to stay.

SMS is like POTS.

It's simple, easy to use and is a universal standard that comes preinstalled on every phone, from the smartest iPhone or Android to the dumbest free phone available.

You don't have to add or authorize contacts, or even get someone's permission to send them a message. All you need is their wireless number.

No IM standard can ever compete with that unless everyone gets together and makes it standard and preinstalled on every phone.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

You don't have to add or authorize contacts, or even get someone's permission to send them a message. All you need is their wireless number.

Which puts SMS at a huge disadvantage. Carriers, at least last time I checked, make it nearly impossible to block text messages from certain people (unless you pay an additional monthly fee).

In China and Europe, SMS Spam is a huge problem. Not so much here - yet.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

It is a problem here, but you can just delete texts. It's why I don't have SMS enabled on my wireless account.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

SMS is like POTS.

It's simple, easy to use and is a universal standard that comes preinstalled on every phone, from the smartest iPhone or Android to the dumbest free phone available.

No IM standard can ever compete with that unless everyone gets together and makes it standard and preinstalled on every phone.

You are right. Sending to a non-regular contact based just on their cellphone # is still the biggest selling point of SMS.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

I agree
+3

Just like everyone thinks here that POTS is going to up and disappear tomorrow. As long as AmerenIP works on the power lines over here, many will be keeping their POTS lines after the last instance.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Your reply had the answer. Every phone has a unique number. IM system just has to use that number as a unique ID and communicate with that over their protocol. Problem solved but carriers can still block it like they block any other thing that they can charge extra for (tethering).
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

I switched to Verizon this month, and didn't get a text package. I had to get a text block put on the phone after Verizon(!) sent me a couple of texts confirming my opting in the paperless billing system. I had to get them to remove the charges, they should have known better. I use Google Voice for sending all my texts. There's really no need for VZW's overpriced service.
matrix3D
join:2006-09-27
Middletown, CT

matrix3D to fifty nine

to fifty nine
It's a problem because a lot of carriers here will give you the run around saying they "don't have the ability to block text messages" (which is utter bullshit) so you end up paying for any spam txt messages that come through. Just because you can delete them doesn't solve the problem at all... after all, you can still "just delete" spam email as well.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

It's easy to block txt messages

It has to come from email domain though. It's simple as adding. Mail rule on special carriers website . At
Least att has it. You just cant block individual SMS coming from actuall cell phone numbers.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to M A R S

to M A R S

Re: Google Voice

i dont text. simple as that

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to Robert

to Robert

Re: SMS is simple, that's why it's here to stay.

said by Robert:

Which puts SMS at a huge disadvantage. Carriers, at least last time I checked, make it nearly impossible to block text messages from certain people (unless you pay an additional monthly fee).

T-Mobile offers free blocking and I have it enabled as I got tired of getting dinged $.20 for each and every unwanted message. I now use TextFree.us on my iPad 2 and iPod 4. BTW, I am not sure about the other carriers but T-Mobile had been sued and that may be why blocking is free for them.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by n2jtx:

said by Robert:

T-Mobile offers free blocking and I have it enabled as I got tired of getting dinged $.20 for each and every unwanted message. I now use TextFree.us on my iPad 2 and iPod 4. BTW, I am not sure about the other carriers but T-Mobile had been sued and that may be why blocking is free for them.

Are you able to block individual numbers and not text messaging altogether? That's what I was referring to.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester to rmdir

to rmdir
I also had Verizon Wireless completely block text messaging, when I started getting spam.
Google Voice SMS works just fine for texting family members.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to rmdir

to rmdir
said by rmdir:

I use Google Voice for sending all my texts. There's really no need for VZW's overpriced service.

Yeah except when your friends on verizon get your non-Verizon text since you use Google voice and THEY get dinged. How nice.
Expand your moderator at work