dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-06-28 18:37:39: Fairpoint Communications acquired Verizon's unwanted New England DSL network in 2008, then subsequently imploded under the not so watchful eye of New England regulators. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

What speeds are Fairpoint DSL users getting?

Are they getting the kinds of DSL speeds Verizon delivers to non-FIOS customers? Something on the order of 1500/256 kbps on low end and 3000/512 on the high end? If so, they may offer the service, but if cable internet is available they won't be signing up many customers.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Mason NH

Local paper had a story that FairPoint was finally able to deliver DSL to Mason NH. Topic of the story was about a person that was servicing his neighbors off an expensive T1 line. Now they are all able to get DSL.

»www.nashuatelegraph.com/ ··· son.html

If circuit lengths are between 10-15 kft they should have no trouble delivering 1.5 and 3 Mbps service. My guess is in a lot of these rural areas they installed fiber fed remote terminals, but I'm just guessing.

/tom
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

FTTN

might be better doing more FTTC and/or coax instead of trying to milk the copper forever. there are some cost savings of adding signal amplifiers for coax insteadof powering a remote terminal at certain low customer densities. if it wasn't cost effective.. Comcast wouldn't be doing it...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: What speeds are Fairpoint DSL users getting?

if you go here »www.fairpoint.com/reside ··· et-high/
and click the "show coverage" map (on the right side) ,you can see that they will probably meet the 'some sort of coverage' percentage on time.
their DSL/ broadband speed are listed as 1.5/386k to 15/1 with "standard" @3/512.
some areas show fiber coverage in place but using a series of local zips/addresses. (my usual method) I couldn't find any actual offers for fiber service.
looks like slightly wider than narrowband is all you'll get there on Friday.
Estragon
join:2003-06-20
Greenville, NH

Estragon to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: Mason NH

I have Fairpoint DSL in Mason, and the 15/1 service actually seems to run at 12/.9

Which is far better than anything Verizon had to offer us.

Unfortunately I was never able to join in on the COOP T-1. Between hills and trees I could not get a radio signal.
Estragon

Estragon to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: FTTN

said by tmc8080:

Comcast wouldn't be doing it...

We asked Comcast about wiring our town for cable service. It wasn't cost effective, so Comcast wouldn't do it.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Estragon:

said by tmc8080:

Comcast wouldn't be doing it...

We asked Comcast about wiring our town for cable service. It wasn't cost effective, so Comcast wouldn't do it.

Unfortunately, that's not too suprising.
Greenville, NH has lees than 500 households, so with a typical take rate of 30% (generally less in rural areas as there are plenty of outdoor things to do) would give around 150 or so subs, figure most already have satellite, use OTA, or don't want TV so figure mostly internet with some phone and some TV figure (generously) 500 revenue units total and maybe $10 profit per unit above NORMAL build out cost, so MAYBE they net $5000 per month to paydown the hundred of thousands it would take to wire your town (construction costs jump a lot away from major facilities, even if it's a 1 hour round trip to the nearby motel/resturant/etc. imagine the bid/bill when you pay travel time for a crew of 20 for several months) in addition if you aren't close to another franchise the backhaul, headend and TECH costs skyrocket. (imagine paying a tech for 3 hours of driving for every install and service call and emergency repair.
some places just don't have enough business to support some types of services at prices people are likely will/able to pay.
tshirt

tshirt to Estragon

Premium Member

to Estragon

Re: Mason NH

The map makes it appear that the are building out in a circular fashion around each CO/remote hut, but I wasn't sure if that was real world or just the map style/icon used. If it's real speed should be fine for those in range.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt

Re: What speeds are Fairpoint DSL users getting?

Interesting the overlay does not render correctly in either IE or FF. Cannot relocate it and bottom of page is cutoff so cannot enter all the data and press buttons.

One would think they would be very careful about that kind of PR stuff.

/tom

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

yes it took several refreshes to get a clear view on some pages, either the story has made the site "way too busy" or the site is "way underwhelming"
I think I'll vote B.