spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-07-07 10:50:30: As leaks had predicted for months, Verizon's new wireless data pricing for both EVDO and LTE smartphones went live today on the Verizon website. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

sprinting

@spcsdns.net

Just downloaded a couple android games over 70MB

Two game downloads were over 70MB. That VZW 75MB plan is a trap. Even the very lightest smartphone users use over 100MB/month with things going on behind the scenes.

I feel for those not in a Sprint area as they are being raped by ATT/VZW. 2GB might be enough for some at this time but smartphone apps are getting more sophisticated, eating more data. In another year, 2GB won't be enough. At least on Sprint you don't have to meter watch.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

Still blows my mind how the ISP's have succeeded

generally speaking in the last few years telling everyone that anyone watching "several" movies on their wireless networks was an "abuser" and how they should pay more because their poor networks just can't take it and if they can just make sure that Grandma is using 2gb instead of 5gb....everything will be ok! Oh, except you can use the larger GB's...just pay us even more

We went from "abusers" being people downloading thousands of GB's to people using.....10gb if that...I mean hell, it is or WAS 2gb until very recently (and for most still is)

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1

And another thing...

Did anyone notice the $30 2GB plan says that it is not eligible for discounts? I assume that means if you have an employer discount program that it doesn't apply for that data package.

I just keeps getting better and better.

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

1 recommendation

My thoughts

I just wish having a phone/smartphone was more of an option for some people. Because people need to access, they will pay. And because they pay Verizon (or any carrier for that matter) will just keep raising rates. It's easy to say "well just don't use it" but for some that just isn't possible. I don't think Verizon was hurting at all with the old pricing plan, making money even, so there is no reason for the change except greed. Bend over...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to unknvoip

Re: And another thing...

said by unknvoip:

Did anyone notice the $30 2GB plan says that it is not eligible for discounts? I assume that means if you have an employer discount program that it doesn't apply for that data package.

I just keeps getting better and better.

Nope only applies if you're grandfathered in. If you upgrade your phone you lose the discount. So in that CASE the $50 5 GB plan would be $40 with a 20% discount only $10 more then the $30 2 GB plan.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to themagicone

Re: My thoughts

Silly me thinking Verizon would actually try to compete with at&t on price. At least at&t offers a under $30 plan. Unfortunately Verizon is the only one that seems to care to offer 3G in my area.

gettagrip

@141.191.20.x

This is why I have avoided data plans!

When I recently replaced my Verizon phone, I chose to get one of the few remaining "Feature" phones expressly so that I could avoid the mandatory data plan. I pay a hefty enough price to get a DOCSIS 3.0 connection for my home, so that I can connect as many devices to the internet as my little heart desires. I don't need Verizon's crap thrust upon me just so I can play with a smartphone.

It's just not worth it to pay these extortionate prices just so I can check Facebook while I'm grocery shopping.

Under this new pricing scheme, my friends who are highly addicted to surfing the web on their phones all day will probably end up with a bill the size of a car payment.

No thanks. I can wait until I get home to watch Youtube.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
reply to themagicone

I think whats changed for Verizon is they have to start paying Vodafone. 5.5b annually is a nice chunk of profits that im sure they would like to see replaced somehow.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

Welcome back AirFone!

They might as well put the credit card swiper in again...

»en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfone

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

just in time

Typing this on my bionic that i got just in time to be grandfathered. They've always allowed those on unlimited 3g to upgrade product and maintain their plan. Hope i don't get screwed in 2 years.

goodcow

join:2004-01-28
New York, NY

Has Verizon actually throttled anyone?

Last night I purchased an iPhone 4 with unlimited data from Verizon. This was a secondary account to my AT&T one, as I wanted to test the network out everywhere before I ported over from AT&T.

I know about the "top 5%" clause, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually been throttled by Verizon for being in that usage tier. I use about 20GB a month with AT&T and while their network sucks in comparison to Verizon so far, they never throttle me and frankly, they're probably too inept to even do so.

I'm worried about canceling my AT&T service and losing unlimited data forever there if Verizon is going to end up throttling me, or pulling some kind of "your data plan isn't compatible with this new phone" nonsense.

Is there any evidence that they do throttle?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to themagicone

said by themagicone:

I just wish having a phone/smartphone was more of an option for some people. Because people need to access, they will pay.

Business use? If so, it's an expense. If not business, what do you "need" a smartphone, and requisite data plan, for?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to biochemistry

Re: just in time

Where'd you get a Bionic?

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
reply to 88615298

My new every two is about to hit. So once I upgrade to a new phone.. I will not have unlimited data anymore?
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

openbox9
Premium
Germany
No, you'll still be unlimited as long as you maintain your existing plan regardless of your device. New/Added lines won't be eligible and changing your plan obviously loses the unlimited status.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

Remember this anybody?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1fCgca9ZNk

It's back... And it's from Verizon...

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

1 recommendation

reply to sprinting

Re: Just downloaded a couple android games over 70MB

said by sprinting :

Two game downloads were over 70MB. That VZW 75MB plan is a trap. Even the very lightest smartphone users use over 100MB/month with things going on behind the scenes.

Except you have to take the 2gb plan or higher for smartphone access. Good try, though.

Full disclosure: I'm on Sprint, so I don't care about Verizon's caps anyway... until they come to Sprint

ZeddicusToo

@verizon.net

Translation...

and by "cash in" you actually mean "rip-off".

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to openbox9

If you squint, my Charge looks just like a Bionic.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
Heh, ok. I thought maybe you had some connections to get the Bionic a month early.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to biochemistry
The Bionic isn't out yet. I'm stuck with a Charge until it comes out at the end of this month or the beginning of next month!

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
reply to MuDvAyNe

My original Motorola Droid came up for renewal yesterday and I grabbed a LTE 4g phone and locked in for two years at unlimited data. Talk about perfect timing!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

If you upgrade your phone you lose the discount.

False information. You can upgrade and still keep your unlimited plan as long as you were on a smart phone with unlimited before today.

This won't last forever though.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to biochemistry

I'll be returning my Charge for a Bionic at Costco when it comes out. I don't like the plastic feel of it and the fact that I can't load Netflix and have Skype Video... (LOL).

But, hey, I got unlimited data for a while!

rocco really

@comcast.net

Who's watching the watchers

I want to know who is monitoring the telco's data meters. Would you buy a gallon of gas at a pump that hadn't been inspected by the State for accuracy. Data should have to meet the same standards.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

Times have changed

I am on Comcast at home. When the soft and now hard cap of 250GB was made known, there was a loud minority protesting. But, it was "obvious" these guys were all pirates (bare with me a second) so it was no issue. Then (in my opinion) Netflix and other legit streaming started, and even 1GB/hr meant that families with multiple kids and multiple players (the Wii plays Netflix now, right?) could easily hit the caps. The "only pirates hit caps" went away, slowly.

Now, we're there on smart phones/ tablets. I don't know how much bandwidth (transfer) a scaled movie takes, but a long car ride can blow through the caps. I have an ATT grandfathered unlimited service, and I don't cancel in case I'm somewhere with no WiFi and want to use the streaming. So my usage is low many months, than blow thru the cap (if I had one) in another month.

Phatty

join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

No Verizon smartphone in my future

Think this new pricing has permanently delayed any chance of my getting a smartphone through Verizon now. Been on month to month since last November, and no way I am willing to spend so much for so little.

Oh well, I hadn't renewed yet because even with unlimited data I still don't see the benefit to spending $30 a month on internet access for such a small device. I wish they would have copied off AT&T and offered a lower price option.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to goodcow

Re: Has Verizon actually throttled anyone?

I have a grandfathered Alltel contract with no cap. I have never experienced throttling...unless you count the total collapse of data speeds after the takeover was complete. I used to get 2.2-2.5Mb down with Alltel but VZW fixed that. I've been stuck at 20-30KB for over a year.

My question is how long "dumbphones" will continue to be available. I have no use for a smartphone -- the screens are too small for comfort -- and the data pricing is a bigger reason to avoid them. The last time I got a new phone the selection was markedly smaller than in prior years and that's probably intentional.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

when the price is TOO DAMN HIGH!

STOP BUYING IT!
CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0

stop feeding companies who charge too much!
when at&t and verizon see a 50, 60, 70% drop off in subscription rates they will get the message and be sitting on a commodity that is becoming less and less valueable by the day! let these companies keep paying that FCC rent for property service they can't GIVE AWAY, LET LONE PRICE GOUGE FOR!

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to gettagrip

Re: This is why I have avoided data plans!

IIRC you need data plans for feature phones now.