dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-07-08 14:45:47: Netflix initially tried to downplay metered billing as a threat to their business, though in recent months the company has gotten increasingly vocal about the issue -- especially after launching streaming video service in Canada and running face firs.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Need More $

We need more deep-pockets fighting other deep-pockets. It's the only way the lowly consumer can win!

When all internet is capped in your area, how competitive is that?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

mail competition

suddenly the post office option looks better and better, doesn't it?

sending 50gb over capped broadband, or $1.50 (each way) through the mail vs $10 overage?
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

said by tmc8080:

suddenly the post office option looks better and better, doesn't it?

sending 50gb over capped broadband, or $1.50 (each way) through the mail vs $10 overage?

Thats something i've been preaching about. Technology has officially gone backwards when we went from being able to transfer over the internet to putting something on a flash drive and mailing it and it being cheaper! And for some people, probably even faster! Sad sad time in the technology world...
bman212121
join:2005-06-09

bman212121

Actually sneaker net has always been the most efficient method of transferring data. Back in the days of dialup it would still be more cost effective to ship a hard drive through the mail. It would possibly be faster that way too.

One thing you have to consider though too is you have to purchase the storage medium, which is part of the costs. Obviously existing infrastructure can send 1GB for .01 cents but it will cost more add more capacity. That said it's very unlikely that 1GB would need to even cost $1 per GB as long as the equipment was running more data through it.
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga to tmc8080

to tmc8080
In the end they don't care. Because as of right now their margins on downloadable delivery is this much higher.
Well, capped internet + a little re-negotiation of Starz contract and other charges from lovely content providers may change that.
Not that Netflix will ever introduce disk-only plan again (which it already repriced at least twice, both times claiming the online delivery was the cause)

I hate it when business abandons profitable market for something that is a bit more profitable, instead of just expanding

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

1 recommendation

Daarken

Premium Member

Greed ruins innovation.

Every time an article of this nature comes out it makes me smile, then I stop smiling because of all the major media outlets ignore them.
Greed keeps North America low on all of the rankings for fastest and affordable internet access.
Greed allows corporations insist on keeping the profits instead of spending on network improvements and infrastructure upgrades.
Greed keeps the government from forcing an even and level playing field.
axiomatic
join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

axiomatic

Dear Netflix

Dear Netflix,

I eagerly await the time you become your own ISP because you will have my money immediately and then some TRUE competition will exist in this market.

(I know this is "pie in the sky" but I can dream.)
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by axiomatic:

Dear Netflix,

I eagerly await the time you become your own ISP because you will have my money immediately and then some TRUE competition will exist in this market.

And the reason this isn't happening is that it would be completely unaffordable for Netflix to do that. They don't have billions of dollars to drop on building out their own infrastructure. But, somehow, magically, the current ISPs are supposed to do it for free, just for Netflix. Because the ISPs are greedy or anticompetitive or something.

The logic Netflix has is completely flawed. "If it's so cheap why don't you do it yourself?" is exactly the correct comeback. And, they never will, because they are spouting crap about the costs. You just, perhaps unintentionally, exposed their bluster for what it is.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

1 recommendation

Wilsdom to Gbcue

to Gbcue

Re: Need More $

All of the deep-pockets are aligned against Netflix's shallow ones. Netflix should be grateful that it is allowed to rent DVDs.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: mail competition

USPS could use more of our money.they need it.
netflix can go to hell.i hate a capped internet but i also have a real hate for netflix.

just lost my retail job of 18 years due to them.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to axiomatic

to axiomatic

Re: Dear Netflix

said by axiomatic:

Dear Netflix,

They can't do that because they'll have to cap just like other ISPs.
axiomatic
Tomball, TX

1 recommendation

axiomatic to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas
Except the ISP's aren't doing it for free. My subscription to my ISP pays for these costs as well as Netflix's bill for their connection to the internet. If what you say is true then the major ISP are just incompetent at pricing the internet connections they've sold? (Which of course they aren't and are priced to the high end compared to other countries.)

Nice try but the large ISP's are trying to double dip as well as protect their own video services no matter how you look at it.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to gorehound

to gorehound

said by gorehound:

USPS could use more of our money.they need it.
netflix can go to hell.i hate a capped internet but i also have a real hate for netflix.

just lost my retail job of 18 years due to them.

Blockbuster or Hollywood video? Problem I had with them is the prices and the overages.. Though I understand your anger towards them, their pricing model wasn't really that great.. Competition proved that. Sorry to hear about your job loss though... Always sucks..
axiomatic
Tomball, TX

axiomatic to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Where again is this proof of a need for a cap? I await los links.

FailOverflow
join:2011-02-23
united state

2 recommendations

FailOverflow to gorehound

to gorehound

Maybe the real hate is the fact you spent 18 years in retail.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

said by Wilsdom:

All of the deep-pockets are aligned against Netflix's shallow ones. Netflix should be grateful that it is allowed to rent DVDs.

That's another BS thing... Why should the **AA be able to tell them what to do with their DVDs? They bought them. They're not making public performances out of them. They own them. Why can they tell netflix that they have to wait 90 days for new releases, when netflix could just send some people down to the nearest costco and pick up a bunch of copies to add to their rotation?

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to axiomatic

to axiomatic

said by axiomatic:

Where again is this proof of a need for a cap? I await los links.

The proof is the bandwidth charges that they and Level 3 are trying to get ISPs to eat to deliver their service.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to fifty nine

to fifty nine
Correction. They'd have to cap everything but their own service.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by axiomatic:

Dear Netflix,

They can't do that because they'll have want to cap just like other ISPs.

axiomatic
Tomball, TX

axiomatic to fifty nine

to fifty nine
So then it seems that you agree that the major ISP are inept at pricing their connections they sell at both the consumer and commercial level.

doublea
join:2007-06-04
Rancho Cordova, CA

doublea

Finally this is getting some light.

I am glad netflix is bringing this whole data cap business into the light finally. There are a few of us who care and know about it here, but were simply labeled as the "data hogs" by the media and ISP's so no one will listen typically. Maybe people will notice this is real finally.

The fact that AT&T uverse TV is not included in its own cap is 100% bogus, its an IP packet, it must be counted as one.
axiomatic
Tomball, TX

axiomatic to talz13

to talz13

Now this is very likely the truth. The temptation to cap and charge overages by the average American middle/upper manger at an ISP is too great to resist.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

said by Wilsdom:

Warning - KoolAid drinker detected!

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Gbcue

MVM

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

We need more deep-pockets fighting other deep-pockets. It's the only way the lowly consumer can win!

said by Netflix :

The marginal cost of providing an extra gigabyte of data—enough to deliver one episode of "30 Rock" from Netflix

It takes a gigabyte to stream 1 episode of a 30 minute show? If so, it's not more money fighting money that we need. Its compression thats worth a damn!

HappyAnarchy
@iauq.com

HappyAnarchy to MyDogHsFleas

Anon

to MyDogHsFleas

We have invested at least as much in the major ISPs networks as they have, through taxes, easements, access to utility poles and other public property, tax breaks, etc etc etc.

Trying to pretend they did everything themselves is just a joke.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to doublea

to doublea

Re: Finally this is getting some light.

But then poor AT&T would lose all those u-Verse TV subscribers under a cap that included any TV streaming. They'd get a ton of people back to Comcast/TW or to Dish/DTV.

Won't somebody think of poor AT&T here?

hrmmmm
@comcast.net

hrmmmm to doublea

Anon

to doublea
If it cost to the ISP were really the issue, they would sell various tiers of bandwidth.. However, they choose to state, this is all you get.. Go over it and we will charge you a disproportionate fee.. Or we will throttle you connection.. Sure sounds like a conspiracy the more I think about it.. Anyone know where the cheapest place I can find some tinfoil???
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas

That is some answer: monopoly exists therefore it should exist unless a bigger monopoly can be formed? Yeah, Netflix is a movie rental company, and isn't likely to become an ISP, just like they aren't likely to become a nuclear power plant operator or lumber mill if they aren't happy with those vendors. But they can certainly muster citizen pressure, enough that shareholders of Comcast/NBC might become a little less concerned with becoming multi-millionaires while sitting on their asses and more concerned with not losing money when the company is busted apart.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to talz13

Premium Member

to talz13

said by talz13:

That's another BS thing... Why should the **AA be able to tell them what to do with their DVDs? They bought them. They're not making public performances out of them. They own them. Why can they tell netflix that they have to wait 90 days for new releases, when netflix could just send some people down to the nearest costco and pick up a bunch of copies to add to their rotation?

The DVDs you buy at the retail level are most likely not licensed for any commercial use, including rentals. My guess is that NetFlix has to enter into special legal arrangements with the movie studios to get the rights needed to rent out DVDs.
cptmiles2
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Swayzee, IN

cptmiles2

Premium Member

Edge (cache) Servers

I don't know where Netflix has its servers or even pretend to know how their network works, but why don't they work with the service providers to build edge routers (servers) in key areas and then keep those servers updated during off-peak hours.

Then the majority of the downloading will be done on the local network and off the backbone, which, I assume, is the issue.

I operate a small ISP and would love to be able to put a Google, Netflix, Hulu, and anything else type of server in my CO to cut down on my backbone costs.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next