spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-07-11 18:27:07: With the recent news that Netflix now controls more than 61% of the digital video distribution market, we noted that it seemed likely that there would be a more concerted effort by both ISPs (with one foot in the traditional TV business) and broadcas.. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
tjmone

join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON

Netflix will become a content producer if this keeps up...

As prices increase, the incentive to create your own content increases as well.

Netflix will be in a position to create first-run content on their own network, then sell it to the networks to run a few months later. Heck, it wouldn't hurt them that much to let it run concurrently. They could even set up tons of product placements within shows to get people to drop cable and buy a Netflix subscription.

Netflix seemed perfectly happy to play the remnant inventory game. But price increases will only create a new competitor for major producers.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tiered approach

I know lots of people who have netlflix only because it is significantly cheaper than cable. They either have basic package only or cut the cable completely.

Now Netflix may have to offered two tiers, existing and "premium" to feed Hollywood bonus fund. I think that would more fair, as studios will see how many people are willing to pay extra for their content.

Some people may simply go to some chinese sites and stream their shows from there
--
Semper Fi

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

Pressure worked

This just in my Email from Netflix:

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month
Starts in first billing cycle in September.
decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

thing is

Ya know, if the studios wanna help slow down netflix's popularity maybe, just maybe they orta start encouraging some of the hundreds of worthless cable channels we receive to actually rotate more than once a month on shows. I lost interest in hbo and the rest when I realized they were doing this. Pathetic! You get burned out soo quick on the monthly programming. I remember them playing much more than they currently do, but apparently they wanna continue to be lazy as hell and push the same crap every week down our throats while ranking in the dough.

I feel like the studios want stores like walletbuster and dark alley video to come back to soo called encourage video purchase's.. Its like all forms of entertainment is being capped or taken away from americans. Do they not realize if we are not passive and occupied on entertainment that we will quickly realize just how bad we are being pounded in this country with unneeded laws in the name of safety? My god when will this crap stop..

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium
join:2011-02-03
Reviews:
·Shaw

Bogarting is not the solution

If your content is not on netflix people will just download it for free then. For those of us who get on news and entertainment from online sources we expect the content companies to license their products to these new online markets like netflix or itunes or we will help ourselves the content by any other means IE bittorrent.
--
WCG Can you BOINC it?!?