dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-07-12 16:33:27: As we just got done saying yesterday, Netflix is facing very steep price hikes as they begin renewing contracts with copyright holders who are uncomfortable with the amount of market power Netflix has quickly accumulated. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Physical media hardly dead

Netflix itself admitted this:
quote:
Since then we have realized that there is still a very large continuing demand for DVDs both from our existing members as well as non-members. Given the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs. Creating an unlimited DVDs by mail plan (no streaming) at our lowest price ever, $7.99, does make sense and will ensure a long life for our DVDs by mail offering. Reflecting our confidence that DVDs by mail is a long-term business for us, we are also establishing a separate and distinct management team solely focused on DVDs by mail, led by Andy Rendich, our Chief Service and Operations Officer and an 11 year veteran of Netflix.
I wonder why the about face.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I'll pay less

I had the 1 DVD plan in case I wanted to rent a DVD, but had only used the streaming. You can bet I won't pay $8 for a DVD I may rent someday. It makes better sense to support my local rental businesses if and when I may rent something.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Corporate Bullshit Spin

As you stated, it's completely because of the beating they are going to get in upcoming negotiations, and nothing to do with them realizing all of a sudden that they have their price structure out of whack.

The email I received from Netflix explaining the price increase was curt, at best. "Hi Jeff. Doubling your price, effective 9/1. Thanks!".

An upcoming vote with my wallet decision happening this Fall.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

Once again we see content is king

I wish I could pick lotto numbers this accurately. Get ready for more content and delivery consolidation.

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia

Re: I'll pay less

said by Selenia:

I had the 1 DVD plan in case I wanted to rent a DVD, but had only used the streaming. You can bet I won't pay $8 for a DVD I may rent someday. It makes better sense to support my local rental businesses if and when I may rent something.

I may continue to pay for streaming, but not paying $8/month for a DVD. Surely not paying $16 for both.

wiredmonkey
@sbcglobal.net

wiredmonkey to fifty nine

Anon

to fifty nine

Re: Physical media hardly dead

...and yet they keep taking away features (28 day release window, etc.)

jimi419
Dadof4
join:2002-03-14
Round Lake, IL

jimi419

fine raise prices for streaming

That's fine they want to raise prices but they need to put their entire library for streaming to any device in a house this crap that an xbox or ps3 or pc can only get a portion of what's available is redonkulous especially for paying full price

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

60% price increase

Let's see how well this goes over.

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi

Premium Member

Ugh..

Okay, I have the 2 dvd(Blu-ray)out at a time and unlimited streaming. Now with this increase I guess the streaming option is all I'll get from Netflix. If I need to see something that badly, I'll just hit up a Redbox. Greedy bastards in Hollywood....

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii

Mod

Eventually

It'll cost just as much as cable tv just to have streaming + 1 DVD.
tdouglas22
join:2001-09-25
Memphis, TN

tdouglas22 to Jeff

to Jeff

Re: Corporate Bullshit Spin

And honestly, how do you expect them to stay in business in the first place? I know it sucks when prices go up because I don't like it either. But this rant about corporate crap is just a bunch of crap too. If Netflix expects to keep turning profits then they have to change and adapt with the times as well. Besides, the prices aren't super expensive. I see this as a way to move people to the streaming only option anyway.

RoverDaddy
@mathworks.com

RoverDaddy

Anon

Well that puts some life back into Redbox

I can't see keeping the DVD subscription just to get the few titles I'm interested in that aren't available for streaming. It's probably more cost effective for me to use Redbox for the new releases, and look to Used DVD outlets if there's anything old I really feel like I need to see.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

Re: Physical media hardly dead

I agree. Physical media will be around for a while.

You can only really stream at home, with the low speeds and data caps of wireless internet, streaming while mobile does not make sense.

I'd much rather bring a DVD on an airplane than wager if my airplane has wi-fi, pay money for then, and then see that the connection isn't fast enough for successful streaming.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

pianotech to tdouglas22

Premium Member

to tdouglas22

All in all, still a good deal.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

I don't get it

2 DVDs at a time is $12, but unlimited DVDs is $8? What?

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

The beginning of the end

Content providers would never let Netflix get away with their business model; it means less money for everyone!

Itll only get worse in the future....then netflix (unless they become an ISP) wont be as viable, especially if the incumbant TV providers add a significant amount of OnDemand.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
join:2001-05-09
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

1 recommendation

JAAulde

MVM

BS Sugar Coating Tactics

Price hikes are to be expected over time. (Although a hike from $9.99 to $15.99 is a little obscene, IMO.) But don't send me an email which uses redirect tactics to tell me I now have "choices," hoping I'll overlook the price hike. Tell it like it is, don't sugar coat and condescend.

I think this is the first time you folks at Netflix have actually made me angry at you.

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64 to Bobcat79

Premium Member

to Bobcat79

Re: I don't get it

said by Bobcat79:

2 DVDs at a time is $12, but unlimited DVDs is $8? What?

The difference is:

2 DVDs at a time, unlimited per month ($11.99)

vs

1 DVD at a time, unlimited per month ($7.99)

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Just change my account to...

the 8 unlimited streaming, don't need dvds

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff to tdouglas22

Premium Member

to tdouglas22

said by tdouglas22:

I see this as a way to move people to the streaming only option anyway.

Netflix's streaming content has a long way to go.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to Shrapnel64

Premium Member

to Shrapnel64

Neither are unlimited, because it would be physically impossible to mail more than ~30 DVDs back-and-forth in a month.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese

Re: Just change my account to...

yeah I just deleted all my dvd queue. After im done with this movie im going to switch to streaming only.

brett_
Premium Member
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL

brett_

Premium Member

Just the DVD plan for me

I may just go with the DVD plan. Their streaming library leaves a lot to be desired, and the hiccup with Sony just made things worse.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

Now say it with me...

America's new mantra: "Less for more".

We know that the additional fees aren't going to make things better for the consumer, I would actually expect to see less available for streaming or a longer wait time for new releases included with the higher price.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

Neither are unlimited, because it would be physically impossible to mail more than ~30 DVDs back-and-forth in a month.

More like 18-20 DVDs per month.

They have a limited plan with 2 DVDs per month, 1 out at a time. It comes with 2 hours of streaming per month excluding Starz content.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff

Re: I'll pay less

I'm tempted to just ditch all together. $8/month for DVD & streaming more than made sense. However:

• Netflix's streaming option currently isn't worth $8/month alone to access.
• $8/month for DVD rentals is overpriced. I'd rather just go with Redbox.

I guess I'll just use up my remaining gift card credits and then pull out. Maybe if Netflix could actually make the streaming a real service with this switch, I might come back.

LOSTMEMONY
@pacbell.net

LOSTMEMONY

Anon

No more for them

Gotta agree with the others.... Streaming only for me... at a rate of about 1 dvd a week we watch from them, its much cheaper at redbox when we really want to see something.

Their loss.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

stevennb

Premium Member

unlimited streaming 3 dvds plan...

Maybe I'm a complete (or slight) moron ..but I'm on the :
Unlimited Streaming + 3 DVDs out at-a-time plan.

So how does this affect me?

phxmark
What Country Are We Living In?
join:2000-12-27
Glendale, AZ

phxmark

B.S.

The price of my DVD service through Netfux is going up almost $10!!

Will be cheaper for me to get one of the $10 packages from the satellite or cable company.

Netflix is only hurting itself.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

Way too much.

No more DVD's for me after September 1. I will use Redbox or Amazon VOD. They have $3.00 weekend rentals in HD. Paying $10.00 for one bluray a week is way too much. I may even return to Cinemax!
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next