spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-01 14:19:40: AT&T has confirmed rumors from last week that the company would be throttling the heaviest mobile wireless users starting October 1. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Verizon throttles too

Verizon has said that they throttle their heaviest users on their EvDO network. I'll bet AT&T's throttling is going to affect a lot more people though.

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13

Cop out much?

This furthers AT&Ts network is crap and they CAN'T provide quality service. They are little whiny b*^%%^%, they remind me of little kids.

Hey, here is an idea AT&Trash, Why don't you actually build your network out and invest something into it, and why don't you eliminate those PATHETIC EDGE only areas you still have masses of? Huh? Before moving into FauxG, try getting rid of 2G. SLOBS
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

iLive4Fusion
Premium
reply to iansltx

Re: Verizon throttles too

said by iansltx:

Verizon has said that they throttle their heaviest users on their EvDO network. I'll bet AT&T's throttling is going to affect a lot more people though.

They rarely do, if ever. I myself have used over 10GB with no effects whatsoever. Every carrier has throttling terms in their contract, doesn't mean they actively do it though. Even Sprint has it that they can throttle, but they don't.

AT&T will, and so does T-Mobile.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to iLive4Fusion

Re: Cop out much?

Are you willing to pay more to fund network upgrades?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

The last paragraph made me laugh...

So they are outright admitting their network stinks? Also I wonder how many people are still on the unlimited plan....

"But even as we pursue this additional measure, it will not solve our spectrum shortage and network capacity issues.  Nothing short of completing the T-Mobile merger will provide additional spectrum capacity to address these near term challenges."

iLive4Fusion
Premium
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

No, we already have been paying too much, it shows if you read their quarterly financial report. Its funny how "other" providers seem to already be ahead of AT&T (LTE *cough* cough*) with an almost all 3G network to boot, while AT&T is busy trying to get people to believe they have 4G.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

AT&T already throttles here

Try pushing around heavy bandwidth for about 5 minutes and watch your speed drop from 3-6 megabits to less than 0.5(if you are lucky). Only happens when you actually use your connection for heavy apps like Youtube HD. That being said, they don't throttle in some of the surrounding counties, using the same phone. I have reproduced this result very reliably. Maybe this is now going nationwide. Upstream is not throttled. I can still get 1.2-1.5 megabits up while this is happening. With all this said about AT&T and knowing about Verizon's throttling, Verizon's throttling has never really affected me. Maybe VZ's threshold is above my typical usage.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to ptrowski

Re: The last paragraph made me laugh...

said by ptrowski:

So they are outright admitting their network stinks? Also I wonder how many people are still on the unlimited plan....

"But even as we pursue this additional measure, it will not solve our spectrum shortage and network capacity issues.  Nothing short of completing the T-Mobile merger will provide additional spectrum capacity to address these near term challenges."

They mean, they want more spectrum, and probably have spectrum for 4G already available, but want to have their spectrum and get some more also to sit on.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

AT&T is about to spend 39 billion, they don't need customers to pay more for network upgrades.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

Spectrum shortage?

What about all that spectrum you bought and are squatting on?

gorehound

join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

ATT are a bunch of asses.To bad their merger will go through so they can screw all of the cusotmers on T-Mobile when they get owned by ATT (Ass To Tits).

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

upgrades? don't you mean making the street happy and giving CxOs larger yachts!
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

You know something

You know something I am getting sick and tired of everybody bitching and complaining that they want more bandwidth but not willing to pay for higher bandwidth. Just think these companys have to pay more and more money for equipment to handle the higher bandwidth. Yes it does cost alots of money for newer and faster technology to handle Larger Bandwidth and Users.

Also just think if they upgrade the equipment and bandwidth pipe how do you think they are going to get there ROI back? I dont care how much they have they would have to get it back some how that means they would charge more for higher bandwidth.

I dont blame these mobile carriers for throttling it just going to show if you want more bandwidth your just going to pay more for higher bandwidth end of story.

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

"Necessary to Fix Spectrum Issues"

Translation: There's still some spectrum that we're not squatting on and that could allow a possible competitor to enter the field so we will use millions of dollars to pay lobbyists and donate millions of dollars to the campaigns of Congressmen (and women) to make sure that we control as much spectrum as possible even though we are using way less than half of what we control.

Side note: There is also some spectrum currently being wasted on free OTA television broadcasts. We see no need for broadcast television and believe that it should be ended in favor of giving us that spectrum as well so we can squat on it too because that would give us more possible customers for our overpriced U-Verse TV service.

End result: Check the donor information of possible politicians in upcoming elections. If they are heavily lobbied by or receive donations from AT & T - DON'T VOTE FOR THEM. CONSIDER ANY CONNECTIONS TO AT & T THE PLAGUE.

That's how things get fixed. Make sure politicians know if you side with AT & T (or any big Telco) that their job won't exist come next term. Isn't it time we end Corporate America's influence on US policies?

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to Selenia

Re: AT&T already throttles here

It's dynamic UP AND DOWN depending on people around you using their mobile devices on the same network/cell site/BTS/nodeB/etc.

Wireless technology is INHERENTLY SHARED.

Surrounding counties probably have LESS POPULATION DENSITY and loading factor.

Go to a rural area upgraded with HSPA+ 21 and see how one can get 11Mbps down. Or test @ 3am.

The reason wired doesn't is because wired has enough capacity on the last mile to take all the demand (and upgrades /w IP-DSLAM, DOCSIS 3.0+, FTTH/GPON, etc/.)

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to treichhart

Re: You know something

You know something I am getting sick and tired of all these people that have no clue about an argument and yet they spout off their nonsense as though they do. Let's try some education:

They have $39 billion to spend on T-Moble, yet they don't have money to invest in their backhaul? They made $3.6 billion this previous quarter, yet they don't have money to invest in their backhaul? They have more spectrum than Verizon and yet they are in a spectrum crunch and can't survive without T-Mobile?

All of that without them having to charge additional rates. But even then, they did just implement caps with overages so they can now have access to another revenue stream. So how is it they are giving up "all" their bandwidth and not making vast amounts of cash on it?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

How about tethering?

Hell, if they are going to throttle us unlimited users, then they should be offering us free tethering.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

Pathetic money grab

It boggles the mind that a VERY SMALL minority of users somehow overload the entire AT&T wireless system and because of that overload EVERY wireless of AT&T is held accountable. They marketed and advertised their Wireless unlimited plans as "Unlimited" to get people to sign up and now that they signed up they come back and say Oh BTW stupid customer, our unlimited plan isn't unlimited, you can only use a max 5 GB of bandwidth -after that we throttle you till you give up in disgust. Personally, I hope this redefining of "unlimited" backfires and all those Smartphone users say screw it and go back to a simple cell phone leaving AT&T (and others) with a mountain of bandwidth/capacity and no one wanting it.

Ricanlegend

join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY

Easy solution vote with your wallet

You could always go to verizon or sprint

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to treichhart

Do you know anything about high end optical switches or routers? Let me clue you in on them. I work for a company that does about 1billion dollars or more in sales to AT&T and Verizon in terms of upgrading their backhaul and wireless network. We have thousands and thousands of patents on this technology and continually improve and revolutionize this product to the point that data transmission costs are becoming insanely cheap. Also to power that equipment is getting cheaper and cheaper.

This metered billing and data scarcity crap that providers are pulling now is an utter joke and just like when text messaging first came out nothing but a money grab. Their costs for data transmission are dropping year after year, no data scarcity exists nor does it need to be metered to the levels it is now.

So basically what I am saying is when these companies control 80% of the market it's ridiculous to set such rules. Both you and them can shove it if you think it's fair by any stretch.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
reply to treichhart

Wow, spoken just like someone who is trying to get a WISP off the ground...

daniel717

join:2003-12-19
Columbus, MS
reply to fifty nine

How much more do you think we should pay? I already pay $180-190 too much for wireless service now. Its the same old thing as the BellSouth/Cingular merger cheat the customers with bad service. I remember talking to a BellSouth tech working on the DSL box on my property and he was telling me AT&T had told BellSouth they had to have 1 billion in cash reserves for the merger to go through and was complaining about the truck they made him drive (paint was pealing off in large areas and old) he also said they stopped spending money on network maintenance and upgrades to save money. We still have the old Cingular edge 2g networks from that merger, AT&T is still 80% 2g across the country, that never got upgraded but they loads of cash to buy other companies instead of improving service. AT&T has lots of money for buying sprees but not thinking to ever give customers value like 4G LTE across the country they started calling 3G in major cities with fiber backhual, usually it's T-1 lines 1.5 up and down backhaul, 4G when will they phase out the old 2G edge networks? Maybe when the buy Verizon and Sprint. Don't even get me started on how bad the dsl network got after the merger didn't say we would all have fiber to the home if we let that deal get approved maybe if we wished hard enough maybe they will upgrade the dsl networks with fiber!

treichhart

reply to treichhart

Ok please tell me why in rural spots the bandwidth cost so freaking high then?

because for 10x10 meg line from cable company is freaking 1600 dollars.

for a full 45meg DS3 connection to me would cost me 5-6k so dont tell me me the crap is getting cheaper because its not!!!!

treichhart

reply to Ricanlegend

Re: Easy solution vote with your wallet

Verizon also throttles there data plans and sprint is going do the same thing.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379296,00.asp
»www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/spri···-summer/

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

I have SPRINT with three EVO 4G and a clamshell. IF Sprint ever says I will be throttled then I will drop Sprint Smart phones like so much trash and go to a simple cellphone- I've got a drawer full of various phones left over from trade up days. I don't need a smart phone so if Sprint starts the throttling and overages then I do vote with my wallet and a 200.00 a month cell phone bill gets eliminated-works for me big time.
Sprint has been good to me for the last 12 years- Their phones aren't the latest in whiz bang crap that the Gen-Xers like and their network is by far low on the totem pole in performance, I can count the number of dropped calls on one hand. They offer coverage where I live, work and play 90% of the time and they don't drop my calls. They respond IF I do have a billing question and quickly rectify it.
Its not an endorsement of Sprint just my experience. When they say unlimited right now they mean it. Simple, straight-forward experience.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to treichhart

You might want to read the Sprint article again.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to treichhart

said by treichhart:

Ok please tell me why in rural spots the bandwidth cost so freaking high then?

because for 10x10 meg line from cable company is freaking 1600 dollars.

for a full 45meg DS3 connection to me would cost me 5-6k so dont tell me me the crap is getting cheaper because its not!!!!

Did you really just write that and think you made a point? Please go take your CompTia A+ cert classes again.

flyingjoey

join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

AT&T... BIAAATCH PLEASE!

They don't need to throttle anyone, their service is already slow.

WiFiMe

@sbc.com

Simple Solution

These high data users are using bandwidth because there is no WiFi available to them. Simple solution would be to find out where they are located and provide them with a WiFi signal. Problems Solved!

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

Again...

I want to see proof of the congestion that is the supposed need for the throttling.

I have two college friends who work fairly high up in AT&T and when we all get together for beers they claim there is no real congestion except for peak hours and only in the very largest cities and that minimal network upgrades to those towns could alleviate the problem.

This is ANOTHER cash grab, pure and simple.