dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-01 14:19:40: AT&T has confirmed rumors from last week that the company would be throttling the heaviest mobile wireless users starting October 1. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

siouxmoux2
@sbcglobal.net

siouxmoux2 to gorehound

Anon

to gorehound

Re: Spectrum shortage?

ATT just wants to be The Worst Wireless Carrier USA let alone the Whole World
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

Re: Cop out much?

No.. I think AT&T should use the profits they are already being paid to support what they offer. Call me funny but I think this is how a business should work.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to treich

Premium Member

to treich

Re: You know something

Are you kidding me?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

Do the math

"AT&T insists that these impacted heavy users on average consume twelve times more data than the average of all other smartphone data customers."

Well.... looking at this article »www.cellular-news.com/st ··· 0253.php it would appear the "average" AT&T user consumes 360 MB per month.

The math suggests anyone consuming over 4.3 GB (360 MB * 12 = 4,320 MB) is a "heavy" user and will be subject to throttling.

Something tells me a lot of folks are in for a real surprise come October. (especially those who are only using single-digit GB... if the math holds true)
daniel717
join:2003-12-19
Columbus, MS

daniel717 to WiFiMe

to WiFiMe

Re: Simple Solution

Have you ever tried to use Wi-Fi at an AT&T/McDonalds restaurant? If it is working a lot if those hot spots are running slower than dial-up speeds try sharing that
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to treich

to treich

said by treich:

You know something I am getting sick and tired of everybody bitching and complaining that they want more bandwidth but not willing to pay for higher bandwidth. Just think these companys have to pay more and more money for equipment to handle the higher bandwidth. Yes it does cost alots of money for newer and faster technology to handle Larger Bandwidth and Users.

Also just think if they upgrade the equipment and bandwidth pipe how do you think they are going to get there ROI back? I dont care how much they have they would have to get it back some how that means they would charge more for higher bandwidth.

I dont blame these mobile carriers for throttling it just going to show if you want more bandwidth your just going to pay more for higher bandwidth end of story.

Look dude, yes i agree in some ways people r gonna have to pay its not free nor cheap but what AT&T is doing is takin us back to the days of Ma-Bell, now the FCC broke them up just for the reason that they where chargin whatever they wanted, and where a monopoly, idc really if they did get T-Mobile and i think everyone agrees BUT that leaves us with VERIZION AND AT&T thats it, sprint wont last on its own, this is my concern and so is millions more, AT&T has a history that goes all the way back for 30 years of doing this kind of crap, NO I WILL NOT GIVE THEM THE CHANCE, customers have gave them the chance for the last 30 years and im gettin quite fed up with giving them chances, but its alright cause soon ill be a SPRINT customer just because of this merger, yes im a AT&T customer, after they said they wanted to buy T-Mobile i lost all trust in AT&T. Sure T-mobile should have the right to sell, i understand completely that its owned by a german company and they should be able to get out if they so do wish, but that doesnt mean they should sell to the most worse company, oh and the spectrum idea is completly lies, sure AT&T may not be liein that they need the spectrum but like Verizons CEO said THEY AT&T did not effectively put the spectrum to use in fact its a big mistake how they r using it on the towers..., but of course they believe that its not their fault and instead the gov, so in that case the gov should make more just for AT&T, and no one else.

AT&T if this merger does happen good luck to them, throttleing?? ha thats funny, caps (oh ya they where the ones that wrote the FCC Net Nuetrality)

People are willing to pay but people are tired of gettin screwed over and over and over, wall street is the only thing that AT&T looks to (thats fine i have no problem with that) but saying that our customers love caps is a complete lie, people r willing to pay 15 just to have a smartphone not 25-30.., i pay 15 for data just cause i have wi-fi, AT&T believes that they can walk over who ever, but karma is a ____ and it will only bite them and the stock holders when its said and done

PS: THIS ISNT CANADA!!

little video for yall
»www.hulu.com/watch/4163/ ··· rnestine
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to megarock

to megarock

Re: "Necessary to Fix Spectrum Issues"

said by megarock:

Translation: There's still some spectrum that we're not squatting on and that could allow a possible competitor to enter the field so we will use millions of dollars to pay lobbyists and donate millions of dollars to the campaigns of Congressmen (and women) to make sure that we control as much spectrum as possible even though we are using way less than half of what we control.

Side note: There is also some spectrum currently being wasted on free OTA television broadcasts. We see no need for broadcast television and believe that it should be ended in favor of giving us that spectrum as well so we can squat on it too because that would give us more possible customers for our overpriced U-Verse TV service.

End result: Check the donor information of possible politicians in upcoming elections. If they are heavily lobbied by or receive donations from AT & T - DON'T VOTE FOR THEM. CONSIDER ANY CONNECTIONS TO AT & T THE PLAGUE.

That's how things get fixed. Make sure politicians know if you side with AT & T (or any big Telco) that their job won't exist come next term. Isn't it time we end Corporate America's influence on US policies?

so correct, id like to see them try to take FM, or even AM (which AM i dont think will ever make it that far) and try to get the govement to sell it to them...

o wait our goverment will do anything!!
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to flyingjoey

to flyingjoey

Re: AT&T... BIAAATCH PLEASE!

said by flyingjoey:

They don't need to throttle anyone, their service is already slow.

no kiddin, i just got 3g here in town in feb, now all the sudden this last month or so its slow like edge....., eh at least theres choice.......O WAIT NO THERES NOT
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to axiomatic

to axiomatic

Re: Again...

said by axiomatic:

I want to see proof of the congestion that is the supposed need for the throttling.

I have two college friends who work fairly high up in AT&T and when we all get together for beers they claim there is no real congestion except for peak hours and only in the very largest cities and that minimal network upgrades to those towns could alleviate the problem.

This is ANOTHER cash grab, pure and simple.

So correct, AT&T prob sits back and shuts down servers or even makes it look like theres congestion all the time..., I keep wishin that the FCC would do their job and regulate (check AT&T and other companys all the time)
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to rebus9

to rebus9

Re: Do the math

said by rebus9:

"AT&T insists that these impacted heavy users on average consume twelve times more data than the average of all other smartphone data customers."

Well.... looking at this article »www.cellular-news.com/st ··· 0253.php it would appear the "average" AT&T user consumes 360 MB per month.

The math suggests anyone consuming over 4.3 GB (360 MB * 12 = 4,320 MB) is a "heavy" user and will be subject to throttling.

Something tells me a lot of folks are in for a real surprise come October. (especially those who are only using single-digit GB... if the math holds true)

Ya i know, the few buds of mine that where lucky enought to still have unlimited im gonna have to tell them AT&T is gonna screw them to lol, this town where i live is all AT&T, but everyday it looks closer to Sprint.., verizon sucks out here.., and no way im gonna sign for a contract with T-mobile under these cirumstances
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to rebus9

to rebus9
All this is is a ploy. First this is designed to make customers think they are hurting so they can slowly impose the same caps and overage fees as verizon got away with and second this is a ploy to make people believe there really is a crunch and get them behind the merger and get it passed for them because they know approval of that merger is going to be close with so much of America believing it is crap. AT&T and Verizon will just keep squeezing tighter and tighter as long as the public lets them get away with it, watch and see. They know they own us and as long as they can take advantage of that they will.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion

Re: Verizon throttles too

Bringing up Verizon in a conversation about ATT is just wrong.

One is a near monopoly trying to get bigger that doesn't give a $hit about those pesky PITA customers.

The other is a Telecommunications company... very big but with EXCELLENT customer care (and retention.) Not without faults... but a company I am happy to do business with.

Unfortunately... I am required do business with both and IMHO... they do NOT compare.

DSLR from now on should just say

"8/1/2011, ATT's lips are moving again"

Then we will all know that higher prices and lower services are ahead so we can just bend over and skip the details.

ATT is so bad they make Comcast look good. I have taken the time to write to many members of congress to oppose the merger... now I just pray (against it)

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

There's ALWAYS a top 5% though!

Eventually the only way to avoid being throttled is to pay for a service and not be able to use it. There is ALWAYS a top 5% of users!
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to RiseAbove

to RiseAbove

said by RiseAbove:

Do you know anything about high end optical switches or routers? Let me clue you in on them. I work for a company that does about 1billion dollars or more in sales to AT&T and Verizon in terms of upgrading their backhaul and wireless network. We have thousands and thousands of patents on this technology and continually improve and revolutionize this product to the point that data transmission costs are becoming insanely cheap. Also to power that equipment is getting cheaper and cheaper.

This metered billing and data scarcity crap that providers are pulling now is an utter joke and just like when text messaging first came out nothing but a money grab. Their costs for data transmission are dropping year after year, no data scarcity exists nor does it need to be metered to the levels it is now.

So basically what I am saying is when these companies control 80% of the market it's ridiculous to set such rules. Both you and them can shove it if you think it's fair by any stretch.

you are right to, man, i mean what has AT&T done in the last week.. they now offer unlimited minutes on family plans AS LONG AS you have family txtin...........um id rather txt threw data then give these people my money

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Cobra11M

Premium Member

to Cobra11M

I would say it's smart to sign a T-Mobile contract at this point.

They wouldn't be able to change the terms (price/minutes/etc.) of your contract without letting you out without ETF.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to WiFiMe

Premium Member

to WiFiMe

Re: Simple Solution

Some problems with your plan. If in a business area you have to convince businesses to provide public WiFi. That assumes AT&T has enough DSL capacity to do so. If there is no DSL capacity then you are stuck with cellular. In residential areas AT&T would entrust public WiFi to whom? AT&T does not want municipal fiber or WiFi networks, so that avenue is not available. Thus, stuck with cellular. If every business and dwelling in the country had at least the 24Mbps Uverse that AT&T promised it would deploy in its wireline telephone areas, then you could use WiFi to offload cellular traffic. If AT&T would have deployed bonded DSL to get 48 Mbps then that would have helped provide WiFi access. You cannot provide WiFi if there is no significant wired service to support it.
sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc to Skippy25

to Skippy25

They have $39 billion to spend on T-mobile because it's an enormous value to them. If T-mobile had to be replicated by AT&T, it would cost far far far more than $39 billion to do that. When the sale was first announced, there were many that indicated there could be somewhere near $40 billion in cost savings alone. i.e. AT&T basically gets T-mobile for free.

Plus they get all that done immediately without waiting years for a real build out.

If you were a business executive in AT&T, there's little alternative but buying T-mobile. Keeps the investors happy, your fat compensation keeps rolling in, compatible technologies, and the customers have little choice with only two other primary competitors.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

1 recommendation

Veloslave to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski

Re: The last paragraph made me laugh...

I mean c'mon... how do you expect them to afford upgrades with all this nasty competition in the market?

(translation) Give us a near monopoly and then we will be able to afford upgrades... of course you will have no where else to go so... screw the upgrades, it's time for corporate bonuses! Gotta pat ourselves on the back for pulling the wool over BIG TIME!
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

Customers..

will still get the shaft. They are just making up things so that the T-Mobile merger can go ahead so they can gobble up T-Mobile then slowly allow T-Mobile's system to go down the drain, forcing the customers to go to the Death Star and laying off all the T-Mobile people.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion to treich

Premium Member

to treich

said by treich:

Ok please tell me why in rural spots the bandwidth cost so freaking high then?

because for 10x10 meg line from cable company is freaking 1600 dollars.

for a full 45meg DS3 connection to me would cost me 5-6k so dont tell me me the crap is getting cheaper because its not!!!!

Its expensive to provide service to little hick towns. Trust me I know. It does suck, but not much you can do about it. Were getting LTE in many rural areas this year from Verizon, so i can get 15-50 Mbit/s down and I have unlimited hotspot so when I am at my lake house I will have unlimited broadband, otherwise its a still expensive $50 for 5GB or $80 for 10. Cheaper than cable.

If you want wired broadband, move to SK, or the UK where they are supposedly getting 90% DSL availability.
iLive4Fusion

iLive4Fusion to axiomatic

Premium Member

to axiomatic

Re: Again...

said by axiomatic:

I want to see proof of the congestion that is the supposed need for the throttling.

I have two college friends who work fairly high up in AT&T and when we all get together for beers they claim there is no real congestion except for peak hours and only in the very largest cities and that minimal network upgrades to those towns could alleviate the problem.

This is ANOTHER cash grab, pure and simple.

There are severe congestion problems with AT&T in MANY cities, but only because they are too cheap to add capacity/backhaul to existing towers.
iLive4Fusion

iLive4Fusion to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

I would say it's smart to sign a T-Mobile contract at this point.

They wouldn't be able to change the terms (price/minutes/etc.) of your contract without letting you out without ETF.

Do you realize what is going to happen the day of the merger? First off they are opening up T-Mobiles GSM network for "Roaming" so they will likely use that to offload their congested network, plus harvest additional T-Mobile spectrum for WCDMA use.

Service is probably going to deteriorate as much as they can get away with it.
iLive4Fusion

iLive4Fusion to sparc

Premium Member

to sparc

said by sparc:

They have $39 billion to spend on T-mobile because it's an enormous value to them. If T-mobile had to be replicated by AT&T, it would cost far far far more than $39 billion to do that. When the sale was first announced, there were many that indicated there could be somewhere near $40 billion in cost savings alone. i.e. AT&T basically gets T-mobile for free.

Plus they get all that done immediately without waiting years for a real build out.

If you were a business executive in AT&T, there's little alternative but buying T-mobile. Keeps the investors happy, your fat compensation keeps rolling in, compatible technologies, and the customers have little choice with only two other primary competitors.

They could just buy Spectrum from one of the spectrum hoarding company. All they are going to do is turn around and shut down T-Mobiles HSPA+ infrastructure and migrate everyone over ASAP. They claim they are doing it for the AWS spectrum. But thats pathetic, its not like they are going to build out rural areas with AWS spectrum anyways. 700Mhz is needed, they are already behind Verizon and this isn't going to help.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion

Since no AT&T phones can use T-Mobile's 1700 MHz, I'm sure nothing will happen.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

Since no AT&T phones can use T-Mobile's 1700 MHz, I'm sure nothing will happen.

When they start sharing backhaul and BSTs.. But besides that, the vast majority of the T-Mobile network is still GSM and in those areas its going to be a nightmare.

I have been with AT&Trash during acquisitions and its not a good thing.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion

said by iLive4Fusion:

They could just buy Spectrum from one of the spectrum hoarding company.

Who would that be? Who would they buy from, and which spectrum is available?

All they are going to do is turn around and shut down T-Mobiles HSPA+ infrastructure and migrate everyone over ASAP.

Indeed they are.

They claim they are doing it for the AWS spectrum. But thats pathetic, its not like they are going to build out rural areas with AWS spectrum anyways. 700Mhz is needed, they are already behind Verizon and this isn't going to help.

Haha, right. Well, tell that to ATT. You can build out a good sized network with AWS. They'll use their 700mhz spectrum in some areas, but they have more AWS spectrum than 700 spectrum already. With T-Mobile they'll have even more in many markets, plus they'll have nationwide spectrum.

I'm always disappointed when I see people who equate poor network engineering (Clear/ATT), or business decisions (TMO/ATT/Sprint) with spectrum limitations.

Whatever the spectrum, so long as the network is properly engineered (with proper cell sizes, microcells/picocell deployments, and correct carrier-usage it doesn't matter what spectrum is used - all spectrum can be used for rural or urban deployments.

anon
@97.67.138.x

anon

Anon

5% bar will lower over time

As heavy users quit AT&T and as throttling limits usage, the threshold for the top 5% will be lower over time.

I may be using the same amount of data month after month, but since the bar is continually being lowered, I could find myself in the top 5% one day.

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ

EvelKub to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion

Re: Cop out much?

They still sell 2G phones in stores... I don't get it.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Unfazed in my plan....

If AT&T is really going to do this, I will let my iPhone 4 stream Netflix freely for the last few days of my Billing Cycle...

I see you and raise you AT&T... Bring it.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to Twaddle

to Twaddle

Re: Pathetic money grab

I think you need to re-read it.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next