dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-02 15:02:32: As part of an FCC effort to improve their broadband data collection, the company last year hired UK firm SamKnows to provide a better glimpse at the real speeds consumers were seeing. ..

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

FIOS

Look at the Verizon FIOS on the Graph!

WTF is going on with Cablevision?
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker

Premium Member

Re: FIOS

said by DataRiker:

Look at the Verizon FIOS on the Graph!

They were pretty lucky to get special measurement / reporting (unlike U-verse and DOCSIS3.) I expect Verizon will play this up as an ISP vs the select/limited areas that FiOS is available.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

said by FactChecker:

They were pretty lucky to get special measurement / reporting (unlike U-verse and DOCSIS3.)

Please elaborate on this statement.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker

Premium Member

What other ISP got a special measurement category around a specific product / technology over a selected footprint?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

What other large ISP has residential fiber???

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

MediaCom

Looks like MediaCom fails on the download speeds.

Six Gun Kid
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Huntsville, AL

Six Gun Kid

Premium Member

Re: MediaCom

said by rudnicke:

Looks like MediaCom fails on the download speeds.

That's no surprise, been there done that...

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Comcast Loves Packet Manipulation

PowerBoost really fudges the numbers. Comcast customers see above 100% of the advertised speeds *on speed tests*
nweaver
join:2010-01-13
Napa, CA

nweaver

Re: Comcast Loves Packet Manipulation

Actually, they are pretty careful to take such shaping into account in the measurement:

The test is over 30 seconds of full rate, with three concurrent TCP streams. The bandwidth delivered is only measured in the last 5 seconds.

(There is also reporting on the first 5 seconds, which captures the boost effect).
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by nweaver:

Actually, they are pretty careful to take such shaping into account in the measurement:

The test is over 30 seconds of full rate, with three concurrent TCP streams. The bandwidth delivered is only measured in the last 5 seconds.

(There is also reporting on the first 5 seconds, which captures the boost effect).

Boost technology thresholds vary from provider to provider. It is IMPOSSIBLE for them to adjust for it and get meaningful data. The only way to work around it would be to test each time for an extended period of time attempt to detect the drop then start the benchmark...a very difficult task. Not only are the speeds skewed but also the consistency of service. In the case of consistency or QoS anyone using boost technology would have their connection QoS poorer than someone not using boost technology.

This is pretty much why this whole thing is waste of time because virtually all the majors are now using some form of boost technology on one or more tier offerings.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Comcast, TWC and Cox use PB. Others don't.
iansltx

iansltx to nweaver

to nweaver
PowerBoost may still be in effect 30 seconds after a multistream download starts. After PB dies speeds are roughly as advertised *shrugs*
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

PowerBoost may still be in effect 30 seconds after a multistream download starts. After PB dies speeds are roughly as advertised *shrugs*

It's not that simple my friend. I and many others have tried to work around PB in broadband benchmarking and it's extremely difficult and differs like I said earlier with each provider. It also tends to cause havoc with streaming and other applications where the streaming engine is inferior or intolerant of wide datarate fluctuations and/or slower or misconfigured PC's. Simply put PB is great for marketing and real crappy for real world performance where consistency of datarate is important.
nweaver
join:2010-01-13
Napa, CA

nweaver

Comcast's implementation is a "leaky token bucket" shaper, which is over all flows on the user. Since the burst capacity is generally around ~20 MB of data, this should be gone after 10-15 seconds at the data rates we are talking about, so at least for Comcast the measurements are highly likely to exclude powerboost effects.

Additionally, this is data which, IIRC, is or will be made available, including packet traces, through Mlabs. If so, you can validate for yourself that the sustained data rate has dropped down, excluding the burst effects.

And this may make consistent datarate apps unhappy (OTOH, constant datarate apps need to adapt anyway because of cross-traffic), but it makes bursty-interactive apps, like web surfing, very happy.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:

PowerBoost really fudges the numbers. Comcast customers see above 100% of the advertised speeds *on speed tests*

Read the report a bit more. That data is for sustained speeds and taken after the Powerboost effect. If you add PowerBoost back in they exceed Fiber as much as 150% (130%-200% over provisioned speed for upload)

Scuty
@smartfutures.org

Scuty to joako

Anon

to joako
I totally agree with you! When I saw Comcast over 100% I thought it's a joke! There is no way Comcast is delivering over 100%!!
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker

Premium Member

said by Scuty :

I totally agree with you! When I saw Comcast over 100% I thought it's a joke! There is no way Comcast is delivering over 100%!!

I think the facts show different and they are.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by FactChecker:

said by Scuty :

I think the facts show different and they are.

Indeed - the facts do show otherwise. These results ran tests on end points that SamKnows and the FCC controlled, to M-Labs servers. There were 1,109 test units in our network. The average peak period and 24-hour sustained (i.e. without PowerBoost) speeds met or exceeded advertised speeds - both upstream and downstream. This is on page 15 of the FCC report.

The numbers with PowerBoost are on page 20 and 21 of the report. One of our tiers achieved 152% of the advertised download speeds, and all were over 100%. In the upstream, one of the tiers delivers over 220%. On a related note, the recent ShaperProbe paper shows similar data, and demonstrates how regularly PowerBoost is delivered.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to Scuty

to Scuty
Why not, since they hardly let their transfer any data?
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to joako

to joako
comcast customers see above 100% because they over-provision. standard 12/2 is actually 13.2/2.2.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to joako

Premium Member

to joako
That's the cool thing about this method of data collection.

It's not being faked out by caching or packet shaping. This is real time, long term data.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Cablevision

Yes, OOL is not what it used to be. I remember back in 2001 when 10/1 speeds were the envy of everyone.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

Re: Cablevision

I am one of the test subjects with SamKnows router on CV's network.
I had CV install Docsis3 modem and ever since then my speeds have been advertised 15/2 any time of the day, any day of the week.
It's the vast majority of Docsis2 modems that still suffer during peak hours.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

Yes, OOL is not what it used to be. I remember back in 2001 when 10/1 speeds were the envy of everyone.

And the terajet was *the* modem to have!
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: Cablevision

What's going to happen when lots more 15/2 customers switch to docsis 3 modems? Do "new" customers on the entry level package still get Docsis 2 modems? I'm shocked Comcast fared so well.. with their soft caps, they've gone a long way to throttle usage so that the network is delivering high speed bandwidth, but everyone consumes less or will be kicked off the network-- same kind of deal with AT&T and many other cablecos, so those caveats need to be defined.

Can't wait until The Islanders leave Long Island... can't happen fast enough.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Satellite

These guys keep insisting on calling satellite broadband so how come thier numbers are not up there for the embarrasment of those companies. I have to admit that Hughesnet has corrected that problem by and large with speeds usually at or above plan speeds on the new systems but those stuck on the old systems and some or most on Wildblue have speeds in the toilet. If your gonna call it broadband and insist it is the best way to reach some people then it should be included in these reports.

fish1000
@army.mil

fish1000

Anon

Re: Satellite

I agree. I guess Hughesnets zero percent during peak hours would have ruined the headline.

TheGremlin
@msln.net

TheGremlin

Anon

Fairpoint?

Why isn't Fairpoint in there? Are they below 50% or something?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Re: Fairpoint?

They probably didn't have too many people with Fairpoint to be able to give results. I think SamKnows/The FCC was looking for a large test subject for particular ISPs.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

Interesting to see how many Cablevision subs

Cablevision looks way out of the norm . My guess is that sample size had to be out of wack for CV.

Now my isp, Windstream they just suck all the time so no suprise in their numbers and yes I have one of those SamKnows routers.
AndyDufresne

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

FCC commisioners should get 80% of their pay

I like how report takes the tone that 80% of what you pay for is ok.

•••••••
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Time Warner

Must be nice to live in markets where Time Warner actually invests money into their infrastructure. I don't know anybody in my area that receives 90% of their download speeds from 8pm to 10pm.

At my last apartment I was lucky to get 3mbps during those hours on my 10/1 connection.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Comcast fudges speed tests

My downloading over the past 24 hours on Comcast. Only once did it spike over what I pay for. Of course I get 25mbps consistently on speed tests but the real speeds I get are about 40-50% of what I actually pay for (the dark black line in the image).

••••••

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus

Premium Member

My monthly SamKnows stats for July

Click for full size
I am currently in frontier's 15/5 FiOS speed tier. My stats have been like this for the past 6 months at least, consistently.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

Re: My monthly SamKnows stats for July

very interesting and accurate stats typed in notepad

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus

Premium Member

Re: My monthly SamKnows stats for July

said by MxxCon:

very interesting and accurate stats typed in notepad

What's wrong w/ my stats? I took them directly from my webpage report.

My webpage report is here if it makes you feel any better.
»reporting.samknows.com/r ··· d1db651d
hutington
join:2011-05-04
Boulder, CO

hutington

Actual / promise ration and FiOS

Some people write that they don't get the actual/promised ratio as given in the report. Remember, the report uses a large database and an individual experience may vary from it. From Qwest VDSL, I get consistent upload / download speed >92 % of the advertised speed with a latency of 24 ms. Qwest's statistics in this report are far worse than that.

What struck me in this report is the superior performance of Verizon FiOS. Will some one educate me, why FiOS is far superior to other technologies ?.

I am waiting for a day when Fiber-to-home internet comes to Boulder, CO.

•••••

OldschoolDSL
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

OldschoolDSL

Premium Member

ALL going down hill

I noticed 1 thing ALL of them have in common (not so mcuh Verizon FIOS)..... They ALL are going down.

This either suggest 1 or 2 things.

1) Major American ISP's services are becoming poor. Through lack of development and over taxed networks.

Which would be ironic since ALL of them have been raising their rates 2,3, sometimes 4x a year in the name of wanting to improve their services.

2) Something I have always suspected, but never could prove.... When you 1st sign up, you are given priority network access. And once you "get use to" having their services. They figure you'll be less likely to switch and will settle for less and / or will not notice.

•••••••••

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

Rambo76098

AT&T LOL

I love it - Not only do subscribers not get the advertised speeds ever, there is also very little slowdown during peak hours.

But, but, the metering! And the congestion! We need it so badly!
Expand your moderator at work

ATTNot
@sbcglobal.net

ATTNot

Anon

ATT

I wonder if there are lawyers out there just waiting for someone to sue ATT. The last time ATT was sued for this, I didn't get anything out of it cuz the account was not in my name though i was paying for it. Bummer.

RedCaliSS
Premium Member
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

RedCaliSS

Premium Member

Sam Knows Participant.

I was one of the test subjects.. was nice getting the reports and seeing exactly what my bandwidth & Latency was during off peak and peak times. FIOS user here and the reports sure helped knowing during peak times playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 it was just me sucking at the game and not a bandwidth issue

Received an email stating the test was over, and later this year they are going to do it again, which I guess means I get to keep this $139 netgear router they sent. Unless Sam Knows is planning on sending out an upgraded router. Nowhere could I find any statement saying I had to return it.

••••
RedCaliSS

RedCaliSS

Premium Member

samknows FAQ's

here are a few FAQ's regarding this test, what data they look at and what is transmitted as well as how they address those few (or many) that have cap's...

»www.testmyisp.com/faq.html

They are recruiting more users should those non tin foil wearing hat users want to participate.

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

MonkeyLick78

Seems to be limited to only major isp's. Seems like it would be a better idea to get the whole picture instead of just most of it. I would have participated but I guess I can't.