dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-03 10:27:22: AT&T caps on DSL and U-Verse users were supposed to officially go live on May 1, with DSL users facing a 150GB monthly cap, and U-Verse users facing a 250GB monthly cap (both paying $10 per each additional 50GB consumed). ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No

Re: Doesn't work for any uverse customers.

said by Oh_No:

Who a real company answers to:
1. Customers
2. Employees
3. Investors

You have the stakeholders right. But in the wrong order. There isn't a CEO in the USA that doesn't have Investors 1st. Well, at least not one who wants to keep his job.

1. Investors
2. Customers
3. Employees.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

said by FFH5:

said by Oh_No:

Who a real company answers to:
1. Customers
2. Employees
3. Investors

You have the stakeholders right. But in the wrong order. There isn't a CEO in the USA that doesn't have Investors 1st. Well, at least not one who wants to keep his job.

1. Investors
2. Customers
3. Employees.

I said real companies.
1. Customers
2. Employees
3. Investors

A CEO should not be voted in or out by "investors" it should be by employees. Employees have more to lose than any stock market investor.

Anyways employees are bigger investors in your company than your stock investors.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo

Re: I Call BS

No idea what this means....

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

Was in response to your second sentence.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to aperture

Premium Member

to aperture

Re: Has anyone taken a count?

I voted... I still kept mine... right now the monitor doesn't work for me. Even if it did right now peak usage for me (1 netflix box, various computers, iphones and such) is clocking right at 65gb a month.

I don't use services like online backups and such that chew up bandwidth. I use shoutcast streaming like no tomorrow, but turn it off after I am done. I use logmein quite a bit to work on other people's machines remotely.. download updates stream shows, etc.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

1 edit

FactChecker to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo

... still confusing. There is an (incorrect) belief by some that capacity is built once and no $$ are added until some new technology comes out. e.g DOCSIS3, FTTH, etc. That is flat-out false

Last mile fiber/HFC is split regularly across the sub base doubling infrastructure needs, router cards are added throughout the entire path, more / expensive optics, down/upstream CMTS cards, etc are added constantly to keep up with capacity/usage increases month over month. Look at ISP financial reports. Billions are spent on adding capacity regularly.

By some estimates, Internet peak usage is growing by 50+% / year (cumulative). This means in 5 years the infrastructure will need to be 500% larger. New subscribers/revenue is not the main driver of this, it is increased usage and less than 1% of the users are driving 20% of all the growth.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2 to David

Premium Member

to David

Re: Has anyone taken a count?

Still keeping my at&t dsl service, very reliable, works great, peak usage around 130gbs a month according to routers traffic meter

(various computers, ipod touch, and such)

Directv vod
Computers
No online backups
Shoutcast streaming yes
online gaming yes
and of course WIndows updates and such

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker

To put it more straight-forward. The hardware is there to handle it, the resources and manpower are there to make it. The capitalist market is there to prevent it. Myth dispelled.
btop
join:2011-06-26

btop

If 0.00 GB is accurate, that's fine by me!

Not a matter of accuracy, says AT&T? Really? Then how they say that I used 0.00 GB for the entire months of June and July must be accurate. Not "unavailable" or similar, but 0.00 used. If they insist...!
btop

btop to famu720

to famu720

Re: AT&T Struggling With Meter Accuracy

Nor is it our fault that AT&T continues to sign up more users with discounted rates.

vincewarde
@sbcglobal.net

vincewarde to OSUGoose

Anon

to OSUGoose

Re: Doesn't work for any uverse customers.

They will work very hard to figure out a way to implement caps because they know that they will lose a lot of video customers if they do not. Right now only a small percentage of users elect to pass on TV service and get their video entertainment via the internet. I am one of them. Between what I can get on Netflix, Hulu, and Shy Angel IPTV (gives me Fox News and lots of sports channels) and my antenna I get just what want. Including the streaming service portion of Netflix, the cost is about $35.00. My home network lets me access programing in any room I wish, and on my TVs. To get the same programing on the same number of sets would cost me close to $100.00.

If too many people figure out that they can have more choice for less money, more people will opt out of their TV plan, as I have. If they don't stop it now they will really be in trouble when the next more efficient video codec comes along. Lowering their bandwidth limit would probably cause them to face an anti-trust action.

If AT&T were smart, they would bit the bullet and reduce the cost of their plans, offer more choice and try to compete with services on the net.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

I could careless about video through att

Srsly, I got to experience this so called uverse at my buddies the other night, I did a test. it wont handle 2 hd streams and downloading 5 torrents (yes legal iso's) at the same time. it bogged and then stalled and the damn modem reset. So I know what's best when it comes to video and thats flipping comcast and I know they have issues, but at least there not going "derp" we just do this shit because we say we have bandwidth hogs. erm does not work like that. but they fool the country into think it does because alot of normal internet users have no flipping clue, I think it's time to start a campaign on youtube, watch for it.

technologiq
EU2251
join:2000-08-08
Reno, NV

technologiq

Meters aren't accurate...

As someone who has/had U-Verse during the UBB trials in Reno I can say that their meter didn't work worth a crap. It would almost always be off by SEVERAL gigs (sometimes too little, sometimes too much) and took DAYS to update. This was with a FTTP install. I actually think they are having problems making it work correctly with anyone with FTTP. If I had to guess their solution to this will be pulling the info from the RG's.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3