dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-08 08:25:58: You'll probably recall that wireless carriers got terribly excited a few years back by the netbook craze, offering users subsidized netbooks that often involved integrated mobile data plans. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

HA!

O'Donnell predicts that carriers will finally shake up pricing to help move tablets sometime this

Yeah right. Ok maybe 20 GB $30, 40 GB $50, 80 GB $80 then MAYBE you get some more people biting.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

WiFi only tablets will continue to sell well, but cell svc tablets will lag until pricing makes them more competitive. Whether that is bucket o bytes, reasonable tethering pricing, or some other pricing scheme.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Just Tether to a Cell Phone

Rooted Android phone with Wireless Tether + WiFi only Android Tablet = win.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x

It's going to take a bit more...

It's going to take a bit more for me to consider using yet another data hungry device. On my cell phone alone (no tethering, etc.) I use 2-3 GB/mo. Right now I'm on T-Mobile and pay $70/mo.

If AT&T actually manages to acquire TMo and jacks up the rates (or institutes caps instead of throttling) then I'm dropping the data package on my phone altogether.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak

Premium Member

said by betam4x:

When If AT&T actually manages to acquire TMo and jacks up the rates (or institutes caps instead of throttling) then I'm dropping the data package on my phone altogether.

There Eek, fixed the beginning of your paragraph for you.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to thegeek

MVM

to thegeek

Re: Just Tether to a Cell Phone

said by thegeek:

Rooted Android phone with Wireless Tether + WiFi only Android Tablet = win.

You don't even need to root. My Asus Transformer is tethered to my un-rooted Droid-X via bluetooth, with no additional tethering plan.
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

I bought a tablet over the weekend, NO data plan

Wifi is so freely available jut about anywhere I go, that paying yet another monthly fee for data that I will never fully use, is just silly. I see this additional data cost for each device as a mega-scam on the part of the telecom companies.

What I would like to see is a way for my single data plan (on my smartphone) to cover ALL of my data use (Tablet and smartphone). That makes it worth my while.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

im waiting on the quad core.

and wi fi only.

These carriers are nuts for the prices.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

6 recommendations

ISurfTooMuch

I call it "subscription fatighe"

I like to call this situation "subscription fatigue". Every company out there wants you to subscribe to their services, and people are getting tired of it. I mean, you are being asked to subscribe to things like:

Power
Gas
Water
Cable/satellite
Internet
Cell phone
Landline or VoIP phone
Netflix
Hulu Plus
Satellite radio
Newspaper
Magazines

And most everyone has a mortgage and car payments, and many younger folks have student loans.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone subs to all these services, but they're all out there, bugging the hell out of us, and, honestly, it's getting to be too much. And now the cell companies think we are ready to pay yet again for Internet on yet another device. Not me. I just don't see the value in it. If I'm at home, I'll use my home connection, if I'm at work, I'll use my work connection, and if I'm traveling, I'll use my smartphone and wi-fi. Where, exactly, is a tablet going to be so necessary that I have to pay another $30/month to use it?

These guys all seem to think we're swimming in cash, just looking for someone to give it to. Not me, and I suspect many others have also hit their limits. If you want to sell me something that will reduce my bills, I'm listening. Otherwise, bug off.

trebzon
join:2001-09-03
Grandville, MI

trebzon

said by ISurfTooMuch:

These guys all seem to think we're swimming in cash, just looking for someone to give it to. Not me, and I suspect many others have also hit their limits. If you want to sell me something that will reduce my bills, I'm listening. Otherwise, bug off.

Spot on.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to tpkatl

Premium Member

to tpkatl

Re: I bought a tablet over the weekend, NO data plan

said by tpkatl:

Wifi is so freely available jut about anywhere I go, that paying yet another monthly fee for data that I will never fully use, is just silly. I see this additional data cost for each device as a mega-scam on the part of the telecom companies.

What I would like to see is a way for my single data plan (on my smartphone) to cover ALL of my data use (Tablet and smartphone). That makes it worth my while.

Not everywhere... both my wife and I work for fortune 100 companies where there is no free wi-fi. So therefore, we're forced to look for 4G tablets... I've got a Dell Streak 7 right now on TMo and waiting to see if AT&T or Tmo get the Samsung 10.1 for my wife (can't stand Verizon's terrible coverage).
NuShrike
join:2010-09-01

NuShrike to thegeek

to thegeek

Unless you're on AT&T. They're hunting you down like the plague because you're breaking their collusional, multi-dipping racket.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to betam4x

Premium Member

to betam4x

Re: It's going to take a bit more...

I'd go to Sprint.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

at these prices?!?

»images.google.com/search ··· 63l1l1l0

»images.google.com/search ··· 6.6l12l0
Good luck.. bad ideas destroy demand, not increase it..
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to NuShrike

to NuShrike

Even if you officially tether, it's better than buying a device that needs another plan. With phone tethering, can do multiple devices with none plan.

The carriers need to stop selling devices with 3G/4G and just promote WiFi with tethering phones. I feel for those suckered into carrier specific tablets. Just not a wise way to go.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

I totally agree. I converted my AT&T iPhone $30/mo unlimited data plan to the $45/month tethering plan. Although I'm now capped at 4G/month, the MiFi is worth it. I recently took the family to YellowStone and my three boys loved having on-the-go Internet access on their iPods and laptops. During the 24hour drive, hey played a game called Minecraft that my middle son said made hours of driving seem like minutes. I must say, though, that Nebraska sucks. I-80 outside of Omaha and Lincoln was horrible (Edge or GPRS -- never before had I seen the iPHone with a small "o" == GPRS. I had only seen 3G or E).

My father, who also owns an iPhone, purchased an iPad2. He wanted the iPad2 with a data plan. I advised him to buy the WiFi version and add the tethering plan to his iPhone. It was considerably cheaper and infinitely more flexible. Instead of just using it with his tablet, he can also use it with his laptop.

Does anyone know if a "data only" plan for a tablet gets hit with USF, E911, excise tax, common line user charges or any of the typical telco/government fees? If so, adding tethering to a plan for which these charges are already covered could be much smarter than paying for all this crap again.
rradina

rradina to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: I call it "subscription fatighe"

You forgot all the coming "cloud" services. I predict that we're fast-approaching a time when we cannot buy a perpetual license to listen to music, watch a movie or even use a software program. It's all going to be a "service" that demands a monthly "access" fee. Oh and just in case that sounds OK, use of the service will also mean they get access to your usage profile so they can include ads-- unless you subscribe to the higher priced "premium" account. Then you'll only get one ad when you first access the content.

Wall Street loves recurring revenue. It helps offset increases in aviation and marine fuel. It also helps to purchase carbon credits.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

said by rradina:

I must say, though, that Nebraska sucks. I-80 outside of Omaha and Lincoln was horrible (Edge or GPRS -- never before had I seen the iPHone with a small "o" == GPRS. I had only seen 3G or E).

Being from MO you should have expected it. MO, NE, KS, IA, IL, WI, MN. All pretty much have shitty spotty coverage from all the major carriers. Corn cobs and cows don't really need 3G ya know.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

I believe MO has 3G on along the interstates. We had it the entire drive between STL and KC.

Montana and South Dakota had 3G the entire trip along I-90. I-80 in Nebraska was the biggest pain. Of course Wyoming was also a pain but with the mountains, getting ANY service was a pain. Jackson, WY, West Yellowstone, MT and Gardiner MT had 3G near the parks. Almost no AT&T coverage inside the parks outside of the Old Faithful area which had Edge. The east side of Idaho along the west side of the Tetons also had 3G coverage. Overall I was impressed with how much of the trip had 3G coverage -- with the exception of Nebraska. Even though it said Edge, if it worked at all, it was worse than dialup.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to rradina

to rradina

It also reduces the need for companies to keep updating their products. I mean, how much more do we need MS Office to do that it isn't doing already? This makes it that much harder for MS to keep people buying new versions. Same with music. If most new music is garbage, why would anyone want it when they already have the albums they want? A subscription model solves these problems. Companies can keep charging you to have access to the same software, music, movies, etc. Suddenly, they can just sit there, producing nothing new of any value, yet still make money.

dmxrob
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Saint Peters, MO

dmxrob to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
I couldn't have said it better myself.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

half way up I-29 and I-35 out of KC the 3G coverage gets spotty. Otherwise, yes it's good along the interstates. But that's it.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

I like to call this situation "subscription fatigue". Every company out there wants you to subscribe to their services, and people are getting tired of it. I mean, you are being asked to subscribe to things like:

Power
Gas
Water
Cable/satellite
Internet
Cell phone
Landline or VoIP phone
Netflix
Hulu Plus
Satellite radio
Newspaper
Magazines

And most everyone has a mortgage and car payments, and many younger folks have student loans.

Excepting Water and Power, everything on that list is completely optional.

No one forces you to take student loans, a mortgage, or buy gas, cable, satellite, cellphones, landlines, netflix, hulu, newspapers or magazines.

Companies don't think you're "swimming in cash" - quite the opposite. They're panicked that you don't have cash, and desperately trying to provide a product you'll buy with your limited funds. That's the whole point behind UBB and "low caps" Karl rants about daily. Even Walmart is telling its investors to hang on for a bumpy ride - its customers are running out of coin.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I'm going to nit-pick a little here. True, no one forces you to take student loans or a mortgage, but you almost have to. The cost of college is insane, especially professional programs like med school and law school, so, if you want to get a college degree, loans are a big part of that. Sure, you can skip college, but your earning potential is much lower in most cases. As for a mortgage, unless you want to rent all your life, you'd better buy a house, and, unless you happen to inherit one or have enough cash on hand to buy one outright, you have to take out a mortgage. You can continue to rent all your life, but all you're doing is helping pay someone else's mortgage, and you have nothing to show for it in the end.

Optional, yes, but there are very strong incentives to get them.

Ianto Jones
join:2011-01-01
Merchantville, NJ

Ianto Jones

wifi only here

I have a Xoom which I love, but its the wifi. I just couldn't see getting it with a carrier, even though there have been times when I needed a connection to the net. (Mainly for the GPS feature) but I just drove around until I found a place that offered free wiring (McD's mostly)

Other then that, I just use wifi at home/work/friends etc.

Andyc
@covad.net

Andyc

Anon

I have a better idea

get ipad2 with 3G. Ditch your cell phone contract and install Line2 for $10 per month. Now have data and phone on your ipad2. Use your iPhone or android as a wifi only device. Ditch the overpriced data and text messaging charges. There are some limitations, but $35 for data plus phone is a steal!
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Tablet Without Data = Useless

Last month I purchased an HTC Flyer tablet from Best Buy. I wanted an Android based tablet and I’m an HTC fanboi so I figured what the hell. When I got out to my car, I opened it up and wanted to play but, oh yeah, that’s right I had no data connection. I could not download apps, surf the net or play on YouTube. I had to drive 15 minutes away to a supermarket and use their free wifi they have for the cafĂ©. I was in the parking lot in my car and kept losing the signal. I’m not sure where all this free wifi is, but I can say for a fact there’s it’s sure as hell is not in the Buffalo or Rochester NY areas. Wifi is a joke. I returned the Flyer a few days later and ordered it’s brother, the HTC Evo View, which is the same exact thing, but has CDMA and Wimax radios. It’s so nice having data wherever I go, and when in 4G areas, having data speeds that smoke most free wifi. I pay $35/month for 3GB of data to Sprint for the tablet. It’s in the same category as why I pay for a USB data card. The convenience of having my own reliable dedicated connection on the go is well worth the cost. I’m not a big fan of wifi at all, and hardly ever use it, even at home.
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG to rradina

to rradina

I have an aircard account with VZW (formerly an Alltel customer). Because it's considered an "internet only" device there are no federal, state, local, 911 or other nonsensical taxes on in. There is a tiny -- as in pennies -- Administrative Fee.

Of course, after today's market slump and our government drooling with taxation greed, that could end anytime now...
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

And after they've sat there for a while, even that won't please The Street. Suddenly the monthly access fee will only allow a set number of "free" units after which you'll be charged a per unit overage fee. That's when we'll all try to find old computers and ditch the net -- if by then that's even an option. If you cannot start your car without pairing it to an Internet-attached smart phone, perhaps we'll just be forced into submission...
Expand your moderator at work
page: 1 · 2 · next