spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-11 10:15:09: Last week we discussed how AT&T has decided to escalate their war on unofficial tethering, announcing they'd revoke grandfathered unlimited data service for any customers found to be tethering unofficially. ..

Not me

@twtelecom.net

Agree - no change

I seldom use it, but I can confirm that my tethering app still works as it always has. I have a Droid 2 (not on Froyo yet).

-
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

AT&T

I don't have issues tethering on AT&T. Probably because I have the 2GB plan, so they don't care, since I pay more if I use more.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

Re: AT&T

Yeah it's still not clear where the line is that triggers notification by AT&T. Casual MyWi users who just tether occasionally don't seem to be getting warnings...
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Yeah, I don't use it that often, so I probably fly in under the radar.
MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA

I have a an unlimited aircard plan and the "unlimited" iphone plan. Been looking for an excuse to dump both and it seems I have now found a good reason too other than the fact it is way to expensive

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
I wifi tethered a few times when I was up in the Poconos. Like you said, all I really did with it was check my email and read some news bits with it.

All stuff I would have simply used the phone for anyway had I not been able to tether it. I'm sure the laptop sends a little bit more info, but not enough to be noticeable.

Start downloading Netflix movies on it, and I would expect a letter....
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1

said by N3OGH:

Start downloading Netflix movies on it, and I would expect a letter....

Why? I have a netflix app on my phone and watch netflix tethered all the time.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

Good point.....
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

2 recommendations

Ouch!

Verizon charges $20/GB overages? AT&T is only $10/GB. Compared to Verizon, at least AT&T is using lubrication.
bngdup

join:2007-02-20
Old Bridge, NJ

Droid user with wireless tethering

I have the original Motorola DROID on Verizon. After many updates over the years the phone was running too slow due to junkware like a forced twitter app and others. I have since rooted the phone and installed Cyanogen Mod 7 which runs great. The update also gave me the ability to tether wirelessly which we were told was a "hardware limitation".

I have used the feature sparingly and it runs great. I would recommend it to anyone who still has the original droid. It comes in handy in a pinch, like when FIOS goes down

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX

Not entirely true

I was one who had a rooted droid x when they pushed out gingerbread.

I retained my root access and used "Wireless Tether For Root Users". I got the signup screen. I disabled my wireless tether and moved to "EasyTether Pro" where I was directed to the same signup screen. I also tried barnacle wifi and a couple other tethering apps. None would work until I installed the TBH tethering patch (which broker other functionality), so I ultimately sbf'd back to froyo.

So I experienced the redirection with multiple tethering spps... Not just the one as verizon claims.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!
NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

Re: Not entirely true

The detection is also baked in to all 2.3 roms I believe. Xperia Play exhibits the same behavior.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX

Re: Not entirely true

That is pretty much what I had assumed. But this article says that verizon claimed it was one phone and one app.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

Thunderbolt

Still tethering with no additional charge on my Thunderbolt.

xpkranger
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Atlanta, GA

Re: Thunderbolt

Which app? I have a T-bolt and was considering tethering.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

Still works on iPhone

i still tether on my iPhone with 4.26 build (jailbroken) . i will NOT update the phone. This has come in handy during a DSL outage other then that i take it easy with it rather then abuse this. sometimes i just tether my iPod touch streaming slacker to it which is the same thing as if i used the handset directly to stream slacker.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151

For what its worth....

I'm posting this from a tethered (non VZW sanctioned) Droid X without any issues at all. No landing page...nothing.

Mods feel free to verify....

duckforit
Duckforit
Premium
join:2003-04-12
Carmel By The Sea, CA

T-Mobile and tethering

Why don't I hear any mention of the Tmobile plans. for $49.95 I run a small network (3-4 'puters) have 5gig cap...but when it is reached , they tell me all thaat will happen is I'll get throttled until the next billing cycle. (2yr contract, no credit ck.) It hasn't been a month yet, so we'll see.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Tethering Fine

I'm using a Rooted Droid X and Wireless Tether running on Gingerbread and I have no problems.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T DSL Service

hasn't changed there tactics...YET

Thats all I have to say.. those of you who think differently must not know American wireless companies very well..

To the post above me.. Im typing this on my HP elitebook wireless thethering it to My TMO G2X with no fear of the ATT or Verizon boogie man.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

PDAnet FTW (so far)

PDAnet still kicking here

Stray Bullet
Dangerous?
Premium
join:2004-04-03
Rochester, NY

EasyTether Pro FTW also

Droidx rooted gingerbread...
Hasher

join:2000-06-19
Rocky River, OH

Tethering.

I have and will always tether with programs that do not belong to Verizon. The functionality is part of the phone I purchased and not some service. The same issue was litigated with in-home routers when ISPs tried to charge for multiple connection charges into the home if you split your connection to multiple pc's and they lost. Someone will litigate this and Verizon will lose too since we already are paying for the data. I don't seem to use any more data when tethered than if I am not. Since Netflix still sends the same amount whether tethered or not.

I am tired of these companies pushing out updates to block functionality on a phone because they want to charge for it. I don't use their Navigation software so they can't charge me for it. The same applies to tethering.