dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-18 12:03:57: Last week a law firm working on AT&T's planned $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile accidentally shot the company's primary merger benefit talking point in the foot, after publicly posting a largely-unredacted document to the FCC website. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound

ATT are such scumbags

My post says it all.Caught now in more than one lie.First they lied and got caught with a document red handed and now they lie again telling us the document was blah blah blah.
I do not like any of these big telcos but I think I have a bigger hate for ATT.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Not really astounding

"It's fairly astounding, even in the modern age of public relations, that there is absolutely nothing in that statement that's true."

Is it really astounding? The corruption and deception by the tcom biggees is expected nowadays. And unfortunately, it will have no impact on the merger.

Government is bought and sold by these guys. As long as there's donation money to be had, any claims or actions contrary to blessing the deal is a sham and only for show.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Guess deal isn't in the bag.

The fact that AT&T is going all out because of this leaked document tells me that the merger deal isn't a done deal.
acrowl
join:2001-08-08
California, KY

1 recommendation

acrowl to gorehound

to gorehound

Re: ATT are such scumbags

The document was redacted for our viewing only. That means the government has been able to view this document all along in its full form.

This just screws up the public PR campaign that AT&T is attempting. "Hey Mr. Senator, get this approved for us and we will ensure that our PAC slides a little brown envelope under your door next election cycle."

So this little "miss step" will force the government to do more public grandstanding to look like this was a shock to them.

Judge Greene is rolling over in his grave with this nonsense.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

said by acrowl:

"Hey Mr. Senator, get this approved for us and we will ensure that our PAC slides a little brown envelope under your door next election cycle."

Hey it's all for sale, it's just a matter of price.

Sad, isn't it?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

ArsTechnica

Ars actually had a recent article on how results of a new poll on telecom experts puts AT&T's chances of approval at 50%, down 5% from the last poll (»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· eril.ars). I wish more news sites had reported on this gaffe on AT&T's part. If AT&T can just brush it away... sigh.

Readfineprnt

Anon

Why

Karl has done a very good job explaining that ATT is not buying T-Mobile for the subscribers (although that's certainly nice to have), ATT is buying T-Mobile to ensure that there is a duopoly with them and Verizon for the next decade.

How much would you pay to ensure that happens?

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

So,

the Death Star is trying to use Jedi mind tricks to convince us? (These are not the 'droids you're looking for.)

Geminimind
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Sacramento, CA

Geminimind to gorehound

Premium Member

to gorehound

I can't stand ATT either. They were caught. End of story.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

It doesn't matter....

It doesn't matter. This merger will go through. Know why? Because NOT ONE mainstream media outlet has picked this BIG story up! Why is that? We all know the answer, don't we: GREED AND CORRUPTION!

Congress wants the $$ that AT&T will bribe them FOR it to go through.

Yesterday I read that the Joplin, MO schools are re-opening, and that the United Arab Emirates has donated every middle and high school student there a laptop. What did our govt. do? Eric Cantor came out and said NO MONEY FOR JOPLIN unless we cut an equal amount from the federal budget. He cares more about his rich buddies then the school kids and others in that devastated community.

Fact is, the uber rich only pay 15% of their income in taxes, while the rest of us pay 35-40%! But that's just fine with the republiturds in Congress.

It's all about corruption today in the Corporate States of AmeriKa!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Close, they donated $500,000 to help them get to their goal of raising $2.7 million for a laptop for each student.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

greed, corruption and now a texan in the gop race...

you can't rewrite history as it occurs over and over again..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 75FJkjr8

atth8r
@rr.com

atth8r

Anon

getting raped by your carrier sucks

the sad part is, they are lining the government's pockets so deep that the merger will still go through.

i really hate you, att.

ih8tt.com

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx to gorehound

to gorehound

I agree and as a T-Mobile customer is the reason I do not want to do business with AT&T. I realize companies are in the business to make money (lots of it if they can) but I resent being lied to. I would have more respect for them if they just came out and said "We are buying T-Mobile to eliminate the competition and raise prices. It is all legal and called Capitalism.". Instead they feed us BS and that I cannot stomach.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

cdru to qworster

MVM

to qworster

Re: It doesn't matter....

said by qworster:

Yesterday I read that the Joplin, MO schools are re-opening, and that the United Arab Emirates has donated every middle and high school student there a laptop. What did our govt. do? Eric Cantor came out and said NO MONEY FOR JOPLIN unless we cut an equal amount from the federal budget. He cares more about his rich buddies then the school kids and others in that devastated community.

FEMA has already paid out $32m in aid. The SBA has done $38m in loans. This is in addition to private insurance. Nearly 700 federal employees are in the area performing various tasks. The tab of a variety of tasks is being performed by the federal government is expected to be in excess of $262m. Maybe you can read some of the other things that our government did.

Maybe it's me, but getting an entire town literally back on the map seems slightly more important than making sure 2200 laptops are there for the first day of school. I'm sure if they really needed them, they can probably find some old text books in neighboring school districts, counties, or states that could at least get them started.
said by qworster:

Fact is, the uber rich only pay 15% of their income in taxes, while the rest of us pay 35-40%! But that's just fine with the republiturds in Congress.

Your assertion is not supported with reality. There are always going to be statistical outliers to one extreme or the other, but when looking at the population as a whole, it's not the case.
axiomatic
join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

1 recommendation

axiomatic

¿dónde está el aire caliente?!?!?

Anyone else note the LACK of commentary from some of DSLReports key commenting AT&T apologists?

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to qworster

Premium Member

to qworster

said by qworster:

In the top 10 list of Richest Congressman 7 are Democrats, Harman at 435 million, Kerry at 249 million, Polis at 285 million, Warner at 283 million, Kohl at 231 million, Rockefeller at 136 million at Feinstein at 108 million. So maybe you should talk to your Democrap leadership before going after republiturds.. ya know, keep your own house clean.
said by qworster:

It's all about corruption today in the Corporate States of AmeriKa!

And let me guess, only 1 side has corruption... the one you don't like.
flbas1
join:2010-02-03
Fort Lauderdale, FL

flbas1 to cdru

to cdru
»www.nytimes.com/2011/08/ ··· ich.html

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Did you even bother to read the link I posted? I'm well aware of that article. And Buffet's 17.4% is below the "super-rich" average. My link even points to this statistical outlier. Buffet makes reference that he is the lowest in his office, and others range from 33-41%. I'm going to bet that there is more than one person in his office that is regarded as being "rich" and they apparently are paying 33% or more.

83% of the country's households earn less than $100k. Presuming married filing jointly, that's max 17.25% effective tax rate. Filing single, it's 21.68%. And that's before any additional deductions, credits, exemptions, etc. That's just the standard 10-15-25-28 tax brackets. So when qworster said:
quote:
the uber rich only pay 15% of their income in taxes, while the rest of us pay 35-40%!
apparently he clearly wasn't referring to 83% of the country when he mentions "the rest of us".
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

Some numbers to think about

There are about 75M att wireless customers currently. If att spent the $39B on these existing customers, instead of buying tmobile, it turns out to be about $520 per customer.
So on a typical 2 year single line contract, $520 is about 25% of the contract.
Heck if att is going to offer a 25% discount to all existing or new customers, i think they will put sprint under, effectively doing what they want to do with this merger.

introversal
@comcast.net

introversal

Anon

Why is Sprint's position unstable?

Because they're an inferior company! They've been bleeding customers for years. You get what you pay for, people. Government intervention might give you a lower price tag, but it's going to hold us back overall.

We should have known from the beginning that AT&T's 97 percent claim for LTE was a fig leaf for something more lucrative. So what? Instead of spending your time nitpicking and whining about well-crafted PR arguments, get the government to mandate 100% coverage! We could charge a Universal Service Fee (USF) to make sure it happens. We do that for landlines, why not wireless?

So much fuss about nothing. Basically, the weaker companies are getting swallowed up by the larger ones. Let the free market work and let the survival of the fittest happen. T-Mobile is selling to AT&T because it has been cut off by its German corporate parent. It's not able to make a profit on its own. That's why even if the merger is canceled AT&T will still have to pay T-Mobile money, and they will have a roaming agreement that lets their customers use each others' networks.

Airlines do the same thing when the government prevents them from merging. They keep the brand name in name only to keep regulators and the public happy. But in reality, antitrust concerns aren't really being satisfied. At the end of the day, the big money wins. And now United and Continental are one company, Delta and Northwest, Southwest and AirTran …

TK2011
@tmodns.net

TK2011

Anon

New petition to fight takeover

A new petition to the president to speak out against the takeover of T-Mobile due to the lies »act2.freepress.net/sign/ ··· tt_lies/...
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112 to Readfineprnt

to Readfineprnt

Re: Why

There is no duopoly. You people act like Sprint doesn't even exist. Not only is Sprint in a very good position they have incentive to compete on price. As long as Sprint remains in the game there is no duopoly. Sprint will be at a disadvantage for a period until they roll LTE out, but with Lightsquared paying for the upgrade they are very well positioned to seriously degrade pricing and steal customers. Many of you might not even realize that Boost and some of the cheaper prepaid cellular providers are using Sprints network.

Sprint is a very good network these days, after a decade of mismanagement and the botched nextel merger they've finally brought customer service in line and fixed many of their problems. With unlimited data and the cheapest plans in the country they are very well positioned to compete (they also roam on verizon).

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Geminimind

Premium Member

to Geminimind

said by Geminimind:

I can't stand ATT either. They were caught. End of story.

Yes,
They were caught and something serious should be done about it!!

It's not as if they all aren't crooks though. I'm talking about the phone companies, cable companies and government as a whole here.

Something serious needs to be done with it all.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

Monopoly on GSM?

I had so many problems with ATT, that's why I went with T-Mobile and was happy with it (till they refused to offer a phone I needed) and then I tried Verizon. However, after my contract expires, I am considering to go back to TMO, but something is telling me that it won't happen....
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to rahvin112

to rahvin112

Re: Why

Though technically you are correct it is not a full duopoly, if they merge the 2 companies will combine for around 80% market share and Sprint will simply be the bigger player sharing the remaining 20%. So for all practical purposes it will be a duopoly system and those that control 80+% of the market will get to dictate a lot of the market.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to qworster

to qworster

Sorry but no government (not ours, theirs, or anyone elses) should be doing any charity work. That should be left to the compassionate people of the world.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to Tomek

to Tomek

Re: Monopoly on GSM?

said by Tomek:

I had so many problems with ATT, that's why I went with T-Mobile and was happy with it (till they refused to offer a phone I needed) and then I tried Verizon. However, after my contract expires, I am considering to go back to TMO, but something is telling me that it won't happen....

If you dont' travel much outside of the NY Tri-State area, sprint (mvno Boost Mobile) & metro pcs will also have decent coverage... I even recommend a month-to-month prepaid option since you can well-afford a post-paid account...(assumption).

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to axiomatic

Premium Member

to axiomatic

Re: ¿dónde está el aire caliente?!?!?

said by axiomatic:

Anyone else note the LACK of commentary from some of DSLReports key commenting AT&T apologists?

Maybe Mom called them out of the basement for dinner.

David_D
@comcast.net

David_D to gorehound

Anon

to gorehound

Believe Verizon is no better.
page: 1 · 2 · next