spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-18 12:03:57: Last week a law firm working on AT&T's planned $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile accidentally shot the company's primary merger benefit talking point in the foot, after publicly posting a largely-unredacted document to the FCC website. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

introversal

@comcast.net

Why is Sprint's position unstable?

Because they're an inferior company! They've been bleeding customers for years. You get what you pay for, people. Government intervention might give you a lower price tag, but it's going to hold us back overall.

We should have known from the beginning that AT&T's 97 percent claim for LTE was a fig leaf for something more lucrative. So what? Instead of spending your time nitpicking and whining about well-crafted PR arguments, get the government to mandate 100% coverage! We could charge a Universal Service Fee (USF) to make sure it happens. We do that for landlines, why not wireless?

So much fuss about nothing. Basically, the weaker companies are getting swallowed up by the larger ones. Let the free market work and let the survival of the fittest happen. T-Mobile is selling to AT&T because it has been cut off by its German corporate parent. It's not able to make a profit on its own. That's why even if the merger is canceled AT&T will still have to pay T-Mobile money, and they will have a roaming agreement that lets their customers use each others' networks.

Airlines do the same thing when the government prevents them from merging. They keep the brand name in name only to keep regulators and the public happy. But in reality, antitrust concerns aren't really being satisfied. At the end of the day, the big money wins. And now United and Continental are one company, Delta and Northwest, Southwest and AirTran …

TK2011

@tmodns.net

New petition to fight takeover

A new petition to the president to speak out against the takeover of T-Mobile due to the lies »act2.freepress.net/sign/att_lies/...

rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT
reply to Readfineprnt

Re: Why

There is no duopoly. You people act like Sprint doesn't even exist. Not only is Sprint in a very good position they have incentive to compete on price. As long as Sprint remains in the game there is no duopoly. Sprint will be at a disadvantage for a period until they roll LTE out, but with Lightsquared paying for the upgrade they are very well positioned to seriously degrade pricing and steal customers. Many of you might not even realize that Boost and some of the cheaper prepaid cellular providers are using Sprints network.

Sprint is a very good network these days, after a decade of mismanagement and the botched nextel merger they've finally brought customer service in line and fixed many of their problems. With unlimited data and the cheapest plans in the country they are very well positioned to compete (they also roam on verizon).

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Geminimind

Re: ATT are such scumbags

said by Geminimind:

I can't stand ATT either. They were caught. End of story.

Yes,
They were caught and something serious should be done about it!!

It's not as if they all aren't crooks though. I'm talking about the phone companies, cable companies and government as a whole here.

Something serious needs to be done with it all.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Monopoly on GSM?

I had so many problems with ATT, that's why I went with T-Mobile and was happy with it (till they refused to offer a phone I needed) and then I tried Verizon. However, after my contract expires, I am considering to go back to TMO, but something is telling me that it won't happen....
--
Semper Fi

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to rahvin112

Though technically you are correct it is not a full duopoly, if they merge the 2 companies will combine for around 80% market share and Sprint will simply be the bigger player sharing the remaining 20%. So for all practical purposes it will be a duopoly system and those that control 80+% of the market will get to dictate a lot of the market.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to qworster

Re: It doesn't matter....

Sorry but no government (not ours, theirs, or anyone elses) should be doing any charity work. That should be left to the compassionate people of the world.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Tomek

Re: Monopoly on GSM?

said by Tomek:

I had so many problems with ATT, that's why I went with T-Mobile and was happy with it (till they refused to offer a phone I needed) and then I tried Verizon. However, after my contract expires, I am considering to go back to TMO, but something is telling me that it won't happen....

If you dont' travel much outside of the NY Tri-State area, sprint (mvno Boost Mobile) & metro pcs will also have decent coverage... I even recommend a month-to-month prepaid option since you can well-afford a post-paid account...(assumption).

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to axiomatic

Re: ¿dónde está el aire caliente?!?!?

said by axiomatic:

Anyone else note the LACK of commentary from some of DSLReports key commenting AT&T apologists?

Maybe Mom called them out of the basement for dinner.
--
Apple is the new SCO

David_D

@comcast.net
reply to gorehound

Believe Verizon is no better.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

Morons

If I wanted smoke blown up my ass I'd have stayed home with a pack of cigarettes and a short length of hose...

clam01

@rr.com
reply to gorehound

No takeover. I have been with tmobile since they were Voicestream. No takeover.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to qworster

said by qworster:

It's all about corruption today in the Corporate States of AmeriKa!

Wait, you still think it's Amerika? And not Americant?

Matt

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to rahvin112

said by rahvin112:

There is no duopoly. You people act like Sprint doesn't even exist.

There is when one looks at the availability of GSM phones & networks. There are only two in the USA - AT&T & T-mobile. American wireless users that need GSM to use their phone worldwide, must pick either AT&T or T-mobile. When only one is left, one can only guess at what the costs for the phones & SIM card accounts will skyrocket to.

old_dawg
"I Know Noting..."

join:2001-09-22
Westminster, MD
reply to qworster

said by qworster:

It doesn't matter. This merger will go through. Know why? Because NOT ONE mainstream media outlet has picked this BIG story up! Why is that? We all know the answer, don't we: GREED AND CORRUPTION!

Congress wants the $$ that AT&T will bribe them FOR it to go through.

Yesterday I read that the Joplin, MO schools are re-opening, and that the United Arab Emirates has donated every middle and high school student there a laptop. What did our govt. do? Eric Cantor came out and said NO MONEY FOR JOPLIN unless we cut an equal amount from the federal budget. He cares more about his rich buddies then the school kids and others in that devastated community.

Fact is, the uber rich only pay 15% of their income in taxes, while the rest of us pay 35-40%! But that's just fine with the republiturds in Congress.

It's all about corruption today in the Corporate States of AmeriKa!

More appropriate for the echo chamber of the Red Room, n'est-ce pas?
--
"Our network engineers are aware of the problem..."

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL

Surprised? Why?

The very reason I stay with T-Mo after leaving AT&T is reflected in this article. AT&T doesn't need the acquisition to build, it needs a way to stop the competition by any means possible. I hope this acquisition/merger is blocked, period.

JohnnyPhoto

@cingular.com

a leaked document, karl bode-a leak,out context = creation

Storytelling, not professional reporting effort. Create stir to sell a story. Everyone mature enough to have a home budget, pay monthly bills and plan for retirement, or sending kids to college - have choices. With choice comes an eventual decision - all on the time continuum.

Mr_Rhythm

@cingular.com

Doesn't seem like a problem to me

I am an ATT employee and I understand the intent of the article. I have no insider information but offer the following as a potential explanation.

The acquisition of T-Mobile offers not only increased LTE coverage but also increased bandwidth in existing markets that is needed to better support existing subscribers as well as prepare for future growth.

Plus, upper mgmt most likely knew about the upcoming bid for T-Mobile so felt it unnecessary to move forward with LTE expansion given that would be a byproduct of the T-Mobile grab.

Just a thought.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to introversal

Re: Why is Sprint's position unstable?

You do realize that T-Mobile USA has never gotten any money from DT, it was actually the other way around, T-Mobile USA is actually decently strong from a financial standpoint, and has always been.. they just have DT digging in their pockets to pay for their failing (and now being sold off/merged EU markets)

DT has always treated T-Mobile USA as a red headed step child and it's always pretty much been on it's own, but in a way it helped as from what i remember personally working for the company for a few years they were an amazing company to their employees that always tried to do the right thing - focus on customer experience as a whole, well that was until Robert Dotson was booted and this Humm guy was brought in, Robert did not want to sell out but DT would not have it any other way and that's honestly why Humm was brought in.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Mr_Rhythm

Re: Doesn't seem like a problem to me

said by Mr_Rhythm :

I am an ATT employee and I understand the intent of the article. I have no insider information but offer the following as a potential explanation.

The acquisition of T-Mobile offers not only increased LTE coverage but also increased bandwidth in existing markets that is needed to better support existing subscribers as well as prepare for future growth.

Plus, upper mgmt most likely knew about the upcoming bid for T-Mobile so felt it unnecessary to move forward with LTE expansion given that would be a byproduct of the T-Mobile grab.

Just a thought.

ROFL!!!

Get back to answering support calls.

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:1
said by WiFiguru:

said by Mr_Rhythm :

Just a thought.

ROFL!!!

Get back to answering support calls.

+1 !!!!
--
dslreports.com

PurpleSage

@clearwire-wmx.net
+1

SonnyB

@rr.com

Arrggghhh!

I loathe AT&T wireless. This whole "lying will make it all better" approach is more or less par for the course here. They make Credo mobile look better and better.

myrv

@bellsouth.net

Competition is good

Any time you combine two companies that overlap in the marketplace there will be a reduction in jobs, not an increase. To those who think otherwise, then we should just let Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, and Sprint merge into one company as obviously that would create a HUGE surge in jobs! /sarcasm off

The fact of the matter is that towers are expensive and usually don't add new customers or reduce competition. However, buying a competitor does both. The less competition you have, the more you can charge for a product of increasingly inferior quality.

Even at a retail job loss will occur. Why would you need 2 stores that occupy the same geographical location? The solution would be to close the smaller of the two stores and possibly transfer a portion of the employees to the larger store.

wingdo

@bobbroadband.com
reply to whizkid3

I cannot speak for Sprint, but Verizon has a number of "world phones" which are CDMA / LTE but support GSM outside the US. AT&T would not be the only way to use your cell phone out of the country.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
said by wingdo :

I cannot speak for Sprint, but Verizon has a number of "world phones" which are CDMA / LTE but support GSM outside the US. AT&T would not be the only way to use your cell phone out of the country.

Understood. But 'supporting' means they can accept a SIM card. You just don't get one with your contract; meaning you typically have to buy a SIM card in the country your visiting; or from AT&T or T-mobile here. Exactly my point. There will be only one provider here.

HiDesert

join:2008-08-17

2 edits
reply to myrv

Re: Competition is good

said by myrv :

Any time you combine two companies that overlap in the marketplace there will be a reduction in jobs, not an increase. To those who think otherwise, then we should just let Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, and Sprint merge into one company as obviously that would create a HUGE surge in jobs! /sarcasm off

The fact of the matter is that towers are expensive and usually don't add new customers or reduce competition. However, buying a competitor does both. The less competition you have, the more you can charge for a product of increasingly inferior quality.

Even at a retail job loss will occur. Why would you need 2 stores that occupy the same geographical location? The solution would be to close the smaller of the two stores and possibly transfer a portion of the employees to the larger store.

True. If this deal goes through ATT will do just that. They will have sweeping cost cutting across the board with a task force of project managers looking for each and everything they can to cut corners, service and to fatten up the bottom line for the shareholders. The top execs will give themselves a fat bonus for their hard work. These days, companies don't like to compete the old fashion way. They want to secure markets by buying off politicians or have a legal department like Apple and sue everyone in sight for patent violations. Banks got congress to rubber stamp their bankruptcy bill, content holders bundle channels so individual channels don't have to compete based on viewership/quality for carriages etc.. Oligopolies and monopoles do not like traditional competition and for the most part, don't.

rockdirector

@mindspring.com

It's about time for another AT&T Breakup

Can we strap some balls on the FCC and tear a limb or two off this greedy octopus?

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to atth8r

Re: getting raped by your carrier sucks

said by atth8r :

the sad part is, they are lining the government's pockets so deep that the merger will still go through.

Not government pockets but pivotal and willing individuals within. If it were for governance we'd all benefit.

avgbowler6

join:2005-08-10
Venice, CA

AT&T Has Always Been Cheap

Remember when the had the chance to do FTTH? What happened? They went cheap and did FTTP. Are they paying the proce now? Yes they are. AT&T never looks at the big picture. They still think like the old phone company, and never use the most advanced tech.