spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-18 12:03:57: Last week a law firm working on AT&T's planned $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile accidentally shot the company's primary merger benefit talking point in the foot, after publicly posting a largely-unredacted document to the FCC website. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:1
reply to WiFiguru

Re: Doesn't seem like a problem to me

said by WiFiguru:

said by Mr_Rhythm :

I am an ATT employee and I understand the intent of the article. I have no insider information but offer the following as a potential explanation.

The acquisition of T-Mobile offers not only increased LTE coverage but also increased bandwidth in existing markets that is needed to better support existing subscribers as well as prepare for future growth.

Plus, upper mgmt most likely knew about the upcoming bid for T-Mobile so felt it unnecessary to move forward with LTE expansion given that would be a byproduct of the T-Mobile grab.

Just a thought.

ROFL!!!

Get back to answering support calls.

+1 !!!!
--
dslreports.com

PurpleSage

@clearwire-wmx.net

+1

SonnyB

@rr.com

Arrggghhh!

I loathe AT&T wireless. This whole "lying will make it all better" approach is more or less par for the course here. They make Credo mobile look better and better.

myrv

@bellsouth.net

Competition is good

Any time you combine two companies that overlap in the marketplace there will be a reduction in jobs, not an increase. To those who think otherwise, then we should just let Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, and Sprint merge into one company as obviously that would create a HUGE surge in jobs! /sarcasm off

The fact of the matter is that towers are expensive and usually don't add new customers or reduce competition. However, buying a competitor does both. The less competition you have, the more you can charge for a product of increasingly inferior quality.

Even at a retail job loss will occur. Why would you need 2 stores that occupy the same geographical location? The solution would be to close the smaller of the two stores and possibly transfer a portion of the employees to the larger store.

wingdo

@bobbroadband.com
reply to whizkid3

Re: Why

I cannot speak for Sprint, but Verizon has a number of "world phones" which are CDMA / LTE but support GSM outside the US. AT&T would not be the only way to use your cell phone out of the country.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

said by wingdo :

I cannot speak for Sprint, but Verizon has a number of "world phones" which are CDMA / LTE but support GSM outside the US. AT&T would not be the only way to use your cell phone out of the country.

Understood. But 'supporting' means they can accept a SIM card. You just don't get one with your contract; meaning you typically have to buy a SIM card in the country your visiting; or from AT&T or T-mobile here. Exactly my point. There will be only one provider here.

HiDesert

join:2008-08-17

2 edits
reply to myrv

Re: Competition is good

said by myrv :

Any time you combine two companies that overlap in the marketplace there will be a reduction in jobs, not an increase. To those who think otherwise, then we should just let Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, and Sprint merge into one company as obviously that would create a HUGE surge in jobs! /sarcasm off

The fact of the matter is that towers are expensive and usually don't add new customers or reduce competition. However, buying a competitor does both. The less competition you have, the more you can charge for a product of increasingly inferior quality.

Even at a retail job loss will occur. Why would you need 2 stores that occupy the same geographical location? The solution would be to close the smaller of the two stores and possibly transfer a portion of the employees to the larger store.

True. If this deal goes through ATT will do just that. They will have sweeping cost cutting across the board with a task force of project managers looking for each and everything they can to cut corners, service and to fatten up the bottom line for the shareholders. The top execs will give themselves a fat bonus for their hard work. These days, companies don't like to compete the old fashion way. They want to secure markets by buying off politicians or have a legal department like Apple and sue everyone in sight for patent violations. Banks got congress to rubber stamp their bankruptcy bill, content holders bundle channels so individual channels don't have to compete based on viewership/quality for carriages etc.. Oligopolies and monopoles do not like traditional competition and for the most part, don't.

rockdirector

@mindspring.com

It's about time for another AT&T Breakup

Can we strap some balls on the FCC and tear a limb or two off this greedy octopus?

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to atth8r

Re: getting raped by your carrier sucks

said by atth8r :

the sad part is, they are lining the government's pockets so deep that the merger will still go through.

Not government pockets but pivotal and willing individuals within. If it were for governance we'd all benefit.

avgbowler6

join:2005-08-10
Venice, CA

AT&T Has Always Been Cheap

Remember when the had the chance to do FTTH? What happened? They went cheap and did FTTP. Are they paying the proce now? Yes they are. AT&T never looks at the big picture. They still think like the old phone company, and never use the most advanced tech.

Czarembo

@qwest.net
reply to rahvin112

Re: Why

Except when you want a signal. Sprint's coverage blows big time.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

said by Czarembo :

Except when you want a signal. Sprint's coverage blows big time.

Very poignantly put.

countscabula

join:2010-03-09
reply to HiDesert

Re: Competition is good

how many 1000's of jobs do you think at&t's previous mergers have cost? Who was in office then?

countscabula

join:2010-03-09
reply to avgbowler6

Re: AT&T Has Always Been Cheap

some day at&t will look back and see the errors of their ways in treating the employees and customers as enemies. its really a shame because the right management could make this an awesome company. when all is said and done it will be CWAs fault just like the morons at GM that kept building 10MPG SUVs when gas went through the roof. Hey didnt our exCEO go over there to straighten GM out?

Paulster

@rcn.com
reply to rockdirector

Re: It's about time for another AT&T Breakup

As I flip through the tv channels at any moment of any hour, you wil find an AT&T commercial running somewhere. Full of glowing reviews about it's own marvelous achievements. They are spending billions in tv adds to keep their pretend good face on for the ignorant masses. This money is only matched by the amounts they are pouring into politicians pockets to buy political endorsement. They must be so stinking fat with i pay phone money; they think can buy anything. I hope the feds stick it right up their---.