dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-18 14:34:23: Time Warner Cable has been talking about a brand change ever since they were spin off from Time Warner back in 2008. Much like their DOCSIS 3. ..

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil

Premium Member

Informative article! Learn something new every day!

Never knew that was an eye and an ear...

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH

Premium Member

Re: Informative article! Learn something new every day!

Knew it was an eye, but never picked up on the Ear..

MEEP MEEP!

Bugger
@rr.com

Bugger

Anon

It is akin to the Masonic Eye of Providence on top of the pyramid (nose). It evokes the true meaning of triple-play:

Watching...
Listening...
Sniffing...

19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to N3OGH

to N3OGH

What is everyone talking about??

All i see is ROADRUNNER (Like in the cartoon)

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil

Premium Member

Re:  

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

Edrick to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
MediaOne Roadrunner was our first internet provider when we had the Shark Fin Modem, it then became AT&T Broadband for us and then Comcast.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

said by Edrick:

MediaOne Roadrunner was our first internet provider when we had the Shark Fin Modem, it then became AT&T Broadband for us and then Comcast.

That covers the same path as up here in Ohio... My fondest memories were from MediaOne, when cable modems were brand spanking new... Not to mention the LanCity modem was a tank and one could easily kill someone with it:

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by talz13:

said by Edrick:

That covers the same path as up here in Ohio... My fondest memories were from MediaOne, when cable modems were brand spanking new... Not to mention the LanCity modem was a tank and one could easily kill someone with it:

[att=1]

You get that from an episode of Hoarders?

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Asus RT-AC87

N10Cities

Premium Member

said by Koil:

said by talz13:

said by Edrick:

[att=1]

You get that from an episode of Hoarders?

No kidding! Look at that rat's nest behind the modem!!
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to Koil

to Koil
Nah, just a google for LanCity on the image results

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Edrick

to Edrick
60127178 (banned)
K.U. Sweet 16
join:2001-02-15
Wichita, KS

60127178 (banned) to Edrick

to Edrick
said by Edrick:

Good times. I was on Multimedia Roadrunner which changed to Cox Roadrunner before it was dropped sometime in 2002. I believe that only OKC and Wichita had the Cox Roadrunner brand. Used a Surfboard 3100.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel to Edrick

to Edrick
said by Edrick:

Ahhh, those were the "good ole days"... slower, perhaps, but still more fun than now. I miss that "reckless abandon" feeling that came with having broadband way back when.
60127178 (banned)
K.U. Sweet 16
join:2001-02-15
Wichita, KS

60127178 (banned)

Napster and 10meg advertised IRC feeds for MP3.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Does this mean I have to stop referring to Roadrunner as Roadkill?

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Koil

to Koil
said by Koil:

It always reminded me of the "Eye of Horus" hieroglyph.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

That is exactly what I thought too. In looking at it again, I still don't see the ear ...

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

I'm pretty sure Picasso could see it... if he looked really, really hard.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by mod_wastrel:

I'm pretty sure Picasso could see it... if he looked really, really hard.

I see it now. If you take the top line off, it does look like an ear.
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned)

Good for Verizon markets.

At least they're no longer falsely advertising in markets where they have to compete with Verizon FiOS. Verizon is the Road Runner and Time Warner is without a doubt the coyote in those markets.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Have some food for thought....

TWC Logo

Naruto Logo
They look almost similar....

Elector
join:2000-05-25
Albany, NY

Elector

Re: Have some food for thought....

It does but its up side down. And I never noticed an ear until a poster above mentioned it. Yes I can see it now.

An Eye & Ear for the logo.

Beep Beep

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

i allways thought it was eye, ear, and mouth, symbolizing tripple play, eye=internet, ear=voice, mouth=tv, or something like that

skuv
@rr.com

skuv

Anon

Of all things, why would mouth=tv?
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Elector

to Elector
...and all of these year I only saw the eye. Now I can see the ear too!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

I dont see the ear.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Start at the center of the swirl and take the vertical path.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08
except I think the TWC eye/ear logo predates the cartoon by far.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Something to go with usage based billing..

Act fast, I hear AT&T and Verizon might steal this one first..
Expand your moderator at work

jfleni
@rr.com

jfleni

Anon

Now if they would fix their DNS

If you really want a "road-runner", change your DNS to something other than their system; otherwise you might believe you are really connected to the "Juno" spaceship to Jupiter which will be traveling for five years!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

Re: Now if they would fix their DNS

Does this mean we will have to change our e-mail address someday? How about whoever@groundsquirrel.com? Oh wait, that won't do because there is already a groundsquirrel.org.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

New change, same system

"create excitement around the eye-ear symbol,"

Always watching, always listening....
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs

Premium Member

Re: New change, same system

said by exocet_cm:

Always watching, always listening....

Same could be said for the cops
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Sooo..

What is the new name for Roadrunner replacement brand?

••••
twoodward
join:2005-03-18
Onalaska, WI

twoodward

Bright House Networks

Whats this mean for Bright House Networks? Do they continue to use the Road Runner brand or do they change as well?
OneL
Premium Member
join:2003-02-02
Brooklyn, NY

OneL

Premium Member

Probably a Matter of $$

I'm guessing that the deal which spun off Time Warner Cable from Time Warner only permitted TWC to use Time Warner's trademarks for free for only so long and that period is coming to a close. So moving off the Road Runner to something else is a matter of not spending money for something that used to be without cost.

hhawkman
Premium Member
join:2001-02-08
Port Hueneme, CA

1 recommendation

hhawkman

Premium Member

Dropping RR

So when do we have to change our email address AGAIN?

•••
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

RoadRunner Logo

by using the RoadRunner logo they pay $$$$ to Time Warner/Warner Bros to license the image. by going to the "eye" that TWC already owns; they don't have to pay for it. But not only are they getting rid of the RoadRunner in NEO/WPA Ohio they're calling the Internet its new name; Time Warner Cable BroadBand. NOT Internet nor RoadRunner.

And Xfinity isn't nothing more than product brand NOT the name as the article suggests by calling Comcast: Comcast Xfinity. But infinity means limitless- which Comcast is saying they have no limits

•••••
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound

From a South Park teacher

Used on my trading platform as an alert.

"Did you just flip me the bird? Yes you did! You just flipped me
the bird!"

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Brand changes

My first broadband connection was the Excite @Home which folded into mchsi.com (Mediacom, when i was living in iowa). maybe time warner will do twchsi(dot)com. My current provider is Comcast but my grandmother in Maine has TWC. Back in the '90s Cable systems changed hands all the time, I remember the system in my hometown of Cedar Rapids, IA was owned by Cox, TCI, AT&T Broadband, then current owner Mediacom. The city had an overbuilder which was McLeod USA that went under and was bought by I'm On. When I moved to Springfield MA the system was AT&T broadband but was sold to Comcast. According to forums it used to be Continental Cablevision then MediaOne before AT&T broadband. It also used to have a dual cable system with those annoying A/B switches and was analog only with no HSI until the end of 2002. Right after they replaced the Dual cable system, Comcast took over.

Brand changes in the cable industry occur like clockwork.
jkeelsnc
join:2008-08-22
Greensboro, NC

jkeelsnc

New branding

Sometimes in business rebranding is a good idea to reduce confusion with customers. However, if time warner really wants to be "innovative" which is rather missing in most companies nowadays then why not make it a little more bold and actually introduce new technology to really make the new brand exciting. Because otherwise continuing with the same old Docsis 2.0 thats been around for 10+ years is just continuing to recycle the dirty dish water and then wondering why its dirty and whining when it needs to be changed for fresh water. A lot of companies are doing that nowadays. They have trillions of dollars they won't spend on anything. What are they waiting for? Talk about an economic stimulus package. The corporations complain that Washington's stimulus didn't work. But then the corporations aren't even willing to try to stimulate the economy themselves.
jkeelsnc

jkeelsnc

Re: New branding

If a company just wants to rehash the same old crap over and over with a stable bottom line then maybe they should get into the casket and funeral business. Or how about making clothes pins or even lawnchairs. Well, but then I forgot that they don't even want to do that in America anymore cause they can't get away with paying us all .50/hr like they can in China. And have unsafe work conditions like they do in China. Its just so much easier to sit around with the same old stuff and wait for a check in the mail.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

Woot!

Obviously I'm the only one in this thread feeling the excitement?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I thought it was Oceanic's idea of an ocean wave

I had no idea this was TWC logo! I thought it was Oceanic's rather dumb notion of a Pacific ocean wave. It appeared here right after Oceanic won their battle with TWC corporate to retain the Oceanic name so I think most everyone in Hawaii thinks that is Oceanic's rendering of an ocean wave.

It bears zero resemblance to an eye or an ear! It is just stupid looking and if it looks like anything meaningful it is an ocean wave.

I think it is a bad move from Road Runner and its history to some odd looking symbol that makes no sense and a company that wishes to divorce itself from its own history. Why would that be? Ashamed of its history? That would be the only reasonable explanation.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Re: I thought it was Oceanic's idea of an ocean wave

said by Mele20:

I think it is a bad move from Road Runner and its history to some odd looking symbol that makes no sense and a company that wishes to divorce itself from its own history. Why would that be? Ashamed of its history? That would be the only reasonable explanation.

TWC has to pay licensing fees to use the Roadrunner name and images, which belong to Time Warner. This is a cost cutting move.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Re: I thought it was Oceanic's idea of an ocean wave

Yeah, well....I didn't think much of the spinoff in the first place and now this.