spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-18 18:16:42: It appears that AT&T wants to gain a little more traction with the SMS cash cow, before SMS and MMS are put out to pasture with the rise of smartphones and push IM services. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

geoffreyq

join:2009-07-18
Los Angeles, CA

When will AT&T stop RAPING their consumers?

When will AT&T finally realize that they are RAPING their consumers? First they blocked tethering, then they put forth 2GB data plans, and now THIS!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

at least add free incoming.

at least add free incoming txt spam sucks and you pay for it.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

2 recommendations

It comes down to what the market will bear

I often hear how something doesn't cost the provider anything to provide it, and I have to wonder, why does that matter? Trade is based on something people want and how much they're willing to pony up for it.

The market for sms or mms isn't based on what it costs a cell phone provider to deliver it; it's based on how much in demand those products are and for what price. It doesn't cost a music content provider but a penny or two in bandwidth to deliver an mp3 to me (if that, even), but if I want the song bad enough to pay $1.29 for it, then I'll pay for it.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

10 MILLION Percent

According to the article on Gizmodo it works out to a 10M% premium over what they charge for regular data.

»gizmodo.com/5832245/atts-new-tex···10000000

anon8769

@mich.net

I know how to fix them!

Just thought how to fix them. Get the $20 unlimited texting plan and get a program to send your data via texts. You can send unlimited 160 byte packets and start racking up megabytes worth of texts!!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Joe12345678

Re: at least add free incoming.

yeah, i dont have any texting plans and i use to get spam texts and found out they were charging me for them. i told them to blocking texting and i think they said it would cost a fee to do so. assholes.......

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to geoffreyq

Re: When will AT&T stop RAPING their consumers?

said by geoffreyq:

When will AT&T finally realize that they are RAPING their consumers? First they blocked tethering, then they put forth 2GB data plans, and now THIS!

In financial terms it is called "milking the cow". SMS is dying (SLOWLY) and AT&T and other providers will squeeze every nickle out of it until it does die. That is normal business and has always been so.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to thegeek

Re: 10 MILLION Percent

said by thegeek:

According to the article on Gizmodo it works out to a 10M% premium over what they charge for regular data.

»gizmodo.com/5832245/atts-new-tex···10000000

And their data is priced at least 10X higher than it should be.

It takes 7 million texts using all 160 characters to equal 1 GB of data. You'd have to send and receive 19,000 a day to use that much in a year. So even if you buy at&t's notion that 1 GB cost $10 texting shouldn't be more than $10 a year. What's sad is if at&t charged say just $5 a month for unlimited texting a year they'd still make over $5 billion a year. Yet that's not enough.

Premium
West Tenness

Interesting facts

from at&t website

Key Facts

We are the largest communications holding company in the world by revenue. Operating globally under the AT&T brand, we are:

Proud to offer one of the world's most advanced and powerful global backbone networks, carrying 23.7 petabytes of data traffic on an average business day to nearly every continent and country, with up to 99.999 percent reliability.

Ok so if data actually cost $10 per GB at&t would be spending $250 million a DAY( or $90 billion a year ) on data. We all know they don't.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to anon8769

Re: I know how to fix them!

Or got to Sprint... unlimited text included and $10 for unlimited data.

TWCcdman

join:2002-04-14
Kernersville, NC

Google Voice +1 by me

I have the old $5 for 200 messages on 2 of my phones. I'm going to cancel it, place a texting block and oh use google voice or yahoo messenger. F&$? AT&T. They are actin just like the old AT&T that was broken up in the 80s. Hope ut happens again.

quantitious

@cox.com
I have that plan too, and upon reading the comments on the article, apparently that's been gone for several months now.

I'm holding onto it as long as I can, as most of my friends don't know my Google Voice number. I usually only use 100-150 texts a month max, but that's enough that $5 a month is still a good deal.

HarveyRabit

@windstream.net

Blame the FCC

They allowed this duopoly of Verizon/AT&T. Give Verizon a month and they will do the same thing. Consumers must suffer with this lack of options... its our fault... its our government.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

Next up: 200 MB data plan.

Better kiss that 200 MB plan goodbye if you want it. Oh, and next year the 2 GB plan is gone in favor of the 4 GB+tethering plan. Better lock yourself in soon!

To hell with this; a local carrier is launching their HSPA+ network soon. As soon as my contract is up, I'm dropping AT&T, unlocking my iPhone, and taking it elsewhere. I'll buy an unlocked iPhone when the then-coming version comes out.

No, the data plan isn't going away. I was being sarcastic

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL
reply to xenophon

Or if you use Android, install the Google Voice app, get a GV number, and use that to send all your text messages. That's what I do, I don't need Verizon's grossly overpriced text plan. If it were free, I'd take it but I sure as heck am not going to pay for it.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
You can do this with an iPhone too. Trust me, I know

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
reply to koolman2

Re: Next up: 200 MB data plan.

I don't see this happening. The 200MB plan allows AT&T to target those "casual" smartphone users. The moms, the dads, hell even the grandparents. They don't use a lot of data but want a smartphone. Hey, it's only $15 a month!

millerja01a

join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC

We dropped txt about 2 wks ago

My wife has a Cappy and I, the Infuse. That means more chat clients than there are stars in the sky to choose from.

SMS/MMS is so '90's now.

Plus geting back $20 a month...WIN!!!!

EDIT: BTW, you can tell AT&T to block all incoming/outgoing SMS/MMS to your number, so if anyone tries to send you a SMS, it's blocked and you don't get charged.

Need to send SMS? Google Voice, Skype...the list is long.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to 88615298

Re: 10 MILLION Percent

I don't fault them for making all sorts of money though. I do what I can to earn as much as I can in the businesses I own. I don't royally screw my customers over like they do though. But I also don't have multi-billion dollar profits and millions of customers either.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to koolman2

Re: Next up: 200 MB data plan.

The problem is if you have an iphone my quick pricing for a family plan shows that its not any cheaper with verizon either.

old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA
reply to Duramax08

I had the same problem with Verizon, but got them to block text completely since I very rarely even used it. no charge.

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

I would use GV for all texting....

However it's still too inconvenient to give people my GV number, then when I miss their call, I have to make sure I call using my GV number otherwise they will have my real cell number.

It's not very convenient....

Premium
West Tenness
reply to millerja01a

Re: We dropped txt about 2 wks ago

said by millerja01a:

Need to send SMS? Google Voice, Skype...the list is long.

Sure just get a new number you ave to tell everyone to use. that's not a pain.

NuShrike

join:2010-09-01
reply to pianotech

Re: It comes down to what the market will bear

MaBell just jumped the shark. People need to switch to free-texting apps at this rate.

If you really support small gov't and/or tax cuts, you wouldn't be feeding the AT&T troll.

RichzCataz

@ca.gov
reply to geoffreyq

I guess AT&T doesn't need customers,, heres hoping they get their wish! (no customers!)

RichzCataz

@ca.gov
reply to rmdir

Skype now does voice and video for Android! Theres a choice! dump AT&T

MIABye
Premium
join:2001-10-28
united state

ATT Must Hate Me

I am still clinging on to the $5 per month SMS option and I'm not letting go!

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to Duramax08

did u tell them you get abused by spam?

this is what I got from their cs when I got bomb spammed and got racked up to $200 for texting overage which thank god they credited. Not sure if they credited tax that was charged on those texts but whatever...

go to »mymessages.wireless.att.com.

Register on this website.
Then go to Blocking options. Most of the text spam is sent as email from domains, websites, mailboxes not from an actual number.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to geoffreyq

said by geoffreyq:

When will AT&T finally realize that they are RAPING their consumers?

You cannot rape the willing.

As long as people purchase from AT&T, they will keep doing this. Of course the government continues to rubber-stamp every telecom/Internet merger that comes down the pike so simply switching providers is becoming less of a viable option to deal with this.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

More Abuse from the Cell Phone Companies

I'm really about to here with these guys. I've recently learned that with US Cellular (My provider for the last 5 years) that if you go over 5GB, you get to pay the bargain price of .25 a MB! How nice of them to cap overages at $200 extra a month. So now 5.8 GB of data costs $230.

It's not a problem with a Blackberry, but why then would I want an Android on your worthless network? Bye bye USCC, time to go to a prepaid dumbphone.

The wireless companies are the devil, and there's only one way to teach them a lesson. Cut their services out of our lives.