spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-18 18:16:42: It appears that AT&T wants to gain a little more traction with the SMS cash cow, before SMS and MMS are put out to pasture with the rise of smartphones and push IM services. ..

page: 1 · 2
geoffreyq

join:2009-07-18
Los Angeles, CA

When will AT&T stop RAPING their consumers?

When will AT&T finally realize that they are RAPING their consumers? First they blocked tethering, then they put forth 2GB data plans, and now THIS!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Re: When will AT&T stop RAPING their consumers?

said by geoffreyq:

When will AT&T finally realize that they are RAPING their consumers? First they blocked tethering, then they put forth 2GB data plans, and now THIS!

In financial terms it is called "milking the cow". SMS is dying (SLOWLY) and AT&T and other providers will squeeze every nickle out of it until it does die. That is normal business and has always been so.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

RichzCataz

@ca.gov
I guess AT&T doesn't need customers,, heres hoping they get their wish! (no customers!)

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by geoffreyq:

When will AT&T finally realize that they are RAPING their consumers?

You cannot rape the willing.

As long as people purchase from AT&T, they will keep doing this. Of course the government continues to rubber-stamp every telecom/Internet merger that comes down the pike so simply switching providers is becoming less of a viable option to deal with this.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

Henshinka

@windstream.net

RE:Re:You Cannot Rape The Willing Re:When will AT&T stop RAPING.

You basically just said all AT&T customers are whores and AT&T is the pimp, and I couldn't agree with you more, unless it was about things we haven't discussed yet, and that would be weird at best, but positively creepy at worst, like Lily Tomlin inside Steve Martin's body in that movie which you practically don't need to see because the premise gives you all the chuckle you will receive had you actually seen it.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
said by geoffreyq:

Realize? You're kidding right? Of course they know what they are doing. It isn't like AT&T's executives will wake up one morning and say "oh my god, we are really sticking it to customers. we need to reduce prices and give customers more options". Not going to happen...

@ATTFAIL
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.
ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
Text messaging isn't a critical, life-or-death service for normal people. They charge what customers will pay just like any company, as they should. I use Google Voice when I have a legitimate reason to send a text message every 3 or 4 months.
TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Vote with your wallet.

Do you really NEED the service?

canesfan2001

join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL

How?
They won't let customers block incoming texts and they still charge for them. I get numerous unwanted texts every month.

text

@comcast.net

said by canesfan2001:

How?
They won't let customers block incoming texts and they still charge for them. I get numerous unwanted texts every month.

»mymessages.wireless.att.com/ how to block text

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
$10 dollars for 1000 txt messages would be about 150KB total for $10.
That would be the price of $66,000 per Gigabyte.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
said by geoffreyq:

Their customers are free to go elsewhere. But they won't.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

said by elray:

said by geoffreyq:

Well no, most are not free. Nevermind that most are tied to absurd high penalty fees...most have nowhere else to go as the competition is laughable in most areas and the few that do have multiple companies find that most have the same sky-high prices across the board
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by Bill Neilson:

said by elray:

said by geoffreyq:

Well no, most are not free. Nevermind that most are tied to absurd high penalty fees...most have nowhere else to go as the competition is laughable in most areas and the few that do have multiple companies find that most have the same sky-high prices across the board

No, sorry. They ARE all free to go - the new rates do not apply to existing contracts. Early termination fees are not relevant - you committed to those up front when you were salivating over the latest gizmo.

The competition does offer better rates for nearly every class of service.
Unfortunately, if you don't bother to shop, you'll never discover that.
And that's why AT&T is able to continue their practice.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

said by elray:

No, sorry. They ARE all free to go - the new rates do not apply to existing contracts. Early termination fees are not relevant - you committed to those up front when you were salivating over the latest gizmo.

The competition does offer better rates for nearly every class of service.
Unfortunately, if you don't bother to shop, you'll never discover that.
And that's why AT&T is able to continue their practice.

No need to apologize. As I said and is done every day, most are not free to leave with the hundreds of dollars in penalties leveled against them for wanting to get out months after buying the phone.
Did you happen to stick your head under a pillow recently when AT&T jacked up their ETF's for what...the 3rd time in 2 years? Did you happen to see the sheer number wanting to switch yet not doing so b/c they didn't want to pay an absurd amount even after months of buying the original phone?

If I wanted to choose a company that offered coverage in my area WITHOUT any ETF's, I would not have had any cell phone in 3 of the last 4 cities that I lived in. Ah, what great competition. I had so many choices!

This site sees story after story of people begging someone else besides AT&T or Verizon to come into their area and offer something...anything....remotely decent....and they would jump

But, they can't...and they won't b/c cell phones or service is vital to their jobs, families, etc...and the need of it in general will override the absolutely atrocious service given to them.

The idea of competition being there but the thousands of people on here and elsewhere who cant find it...are just missing it somehow....I mean, huh? Do people not laugh out loud at the stupidity of that?
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by Bill Neilson:

No need to apologize. As I said and is done every day, most are not free to leave with the hundreds of dollars in penalties leveled against them for wanting to get out months after buying the phone.
Did you happen to stick your head under a pillow recently when AT&T jacked up their ETF's for what...the 3rd time in 2 years? Did you happen to see the sheer number wanting to switch yet not doing so b/c they didn't want to pay an absurd amount even after months of buying the original phone?

If I wanted to choose a company that offered coverage in my area WITHOUT any ETF's, I would not have had any cell phone in 3 of the last 4 cities that I lived in. Ah, what great competition. I had so many choices!

Once again - those supposedly "raped" by AT&T's terms do so voluntarily - they only apply to new customers. Those are the customers referenced at the top of this thread. The rest of the flock, under contract, joined voluntarily, with the full knowledge of the ETF / balloon payment, which did not increase within their contract. ETF's were increased with new "smart" phones, to buy down the phone and the rate plan. No one was forced to sign those agreements or buy those phones. Everyone in question is free to go.

I don't know where you live or shop, but I've yet to go anywhere in this country that I couldn't obtain a cell phone from a half-dozen companies without an ETF. Maybe you should ask here, or on HowardForums, before you make your next commitment.

said by Bill Neilson:

This site sees story after story of people begging someone else besides AT&T or Verizon to come into their area and offer something...anything....remotely decent....and they would jump

But, they can't...and they won't b/c cell phones or service is vital to their jobs, families, etc...and the need of it in general will override the absolutely atrocious service given to them.

The idea of competition being there but the thousands of people on here and elsewhere who cant find it...are just missing it somehow....I mean, huh? Do people not laugh out loud at the stupidity of that?

Competition exists all over the place, but in the populist DSLR forum, it is ignored and belittled. I grew up in the monopoly era, and watched it be torn down by the DOJ and Judge Greene, with a little help from the FCC and Congress. I would have preferred we kept the regulated [natural] monopoly, but that ship has sailed.

But of all the domains concerned here (Broadband, Landline, Cellphones/Wireless, Pay TV), cellphones are by far the winner in the deregulation derby. If you can't find multiple competitive options in your town, indeed, maybe we should laugh out loud at the stupidity, if we were as uncivil as Maxine Waters. Where in this country is anyone so limited?
Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

at least add free incoming.

at least add free incoming txt spam sucks and you pay for it.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Re: at least add free incoming.

yeah, i dont have any texting plans and i use to get spam texts and found out they were charging me for them. i told them to blocking texting and i think they said it would cost a fee to do so. assholes.......
old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

I had the same problem with Verizon, but got them to block text completely since I very rarely even used it. no charge.
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
did u tell them you get abused by spam?

this is what I got from their cs when I got bomb spammed and got racked up to $200 for texting overage which thank god they credited. Not sure if they credited tax that was charged on those texts but whatever...

go to »mymessages.wireless.att.com.

Register on this website.
Then go to Blocking options. Most of the text spam is sent as email from domains, websites, mailboxes not from an actual number.
cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Then you aren't an AT&T customer. If you are receiving texts, you're paying for them. Any plan without text messaging will not be able to send or receive texts AT ALL -- they simply disappear. (and it's been like that for some time now.) Up 'til this week maybe, AT&T had "no text" plans.
thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

said by cramer:

Then you aren't an AT&T customer. If you are receiving texts, you're paying for them. Any plan without text messaging will not be able to send or receive texts AT ALL -- they simply disappear. (and it's been like that for some time now.) Up 'til this week maybe, AT&T had "no text" plans.

i got news for ya, ive had att for going on 4 years, and i didnt start out with a text "plan" guess what? it was charged "per use" you know, like 411, but i guess if you dont have a 411 plan you cant use 411 right? sorry but txt was $0.20 and MMS was $0.35 each, with out a "plan" only way they just "vanished" was if you had it blocked, or they screwed up on provisiong and blocked it (course, if you never used it, thats not a bad screw up)
cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

The way the plans have been for several years now, you can opt for no text messaging (no charges), per-use (sent and received), bundled ($5/200, later $10/1000), and unlimited ($20). Whatever plan you had remained active until you touched the wrong thing / walked past an AT&T store / etc.

I, and several of my friends, know too well what happens when AT&T removes SMS from your cellphone. (In fact, Rob ran into this very thing yesterday when upgrading his phone -- and the AT&T store minion lied about the available plans, shocking I know; there is a smartphone 200 SMS plan (as of this afternoon anyway).)
thedragonmas

Albany, GA

said by cramer:

The way the plans have been for several years now, you can opt for no text messaging (no charges), per-use (sent and received), bundled ($5/200, later $10/1000), and unlimited ($20). Whatever plan you had remained active until you touched the wrong thing / walked past an AT&T store / etc.

I, and several of my friends, know too well what happens when AT&T removes SMS from your cellphone. (In fact, Rob ran into this very thing yesterday when upgrading his phone -- and the AT&T store minion lied about the available plans, shocking I know; there is a smartphone 200 SMS plan (as of this afternoon anyway).)

thats my point, "per use" is automatic. unless you specifically "demand" to have it blocked. and yeah it seems that any time i make the slightest little change they screw up the txt messaging and i call and it "wasnt provisioned correctly, sorry sir", very annoying.
LinuxNinja

join:2001-04-19
Kennesaw, GA
said by thedragonmas:

said by cramer:

i got news for ya, ive had att for going on 4 years, and i didnt start out with a text "plan" guess what? it was charged "per use" you know, like 411, but i guess if you dont have a 411 plan you cant use 411 right? sorry but txt was $0.20 and MMS was $0.35 each, with out a "plan" only way they just "vanished" was if you had it blocked, or they screwed up on provisiong and blocked it (course, if you never used it, thats not a bad screw up)

Respectfully sir, you are incorrect. Pay-per-use Text messaging is a text messaging plan. If you remove it from your service, you will be unable to send/receive SMS/MMS messages. There is no cost for this.

I know this first-hand, as this is what I did... and my wife works for AT&T Customer Service as a Wireless CSR. Even she says they suck. (and yes, she hates her job...)
thedragonmas

Albany, GA

said by LinuxNinja:

said by thedragonmas:

said by cramer:

Respectfully sir, you are incorrect. Pay-per-use Text messaging is a text messaging plan. If you remove it from your service, you will be unable to send/receive SMS/MMS messages. There is no cost for this.

I know this first-hand, as this is what I did... and my wife works for AT&T Customer Service as a Wireless CSR. Even she says they suck. (and yes, she hates her job...)

im sorry, but did you miss my post directly above you?

said by thedragonmas:

thats my point, "per use" is automatic. unless you specifically "demand" to have it blocked. and yeah it seems that any time i make the slightest little change they screw up the txt messaging and i call and it "wasnt provisioned correctly, sorry sir", very annoying.

it may be a "plan" but its "default" unless you specifically request it be removed. just like pay per use *69 or long distance on a landline (with out a long distance "plan")

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

2 recommendations

It comes down to what the market will bear

I often hear how something doesn't cost the provider anything to provide it, and I have to wonder, why does that matter? Trade is based on something people want and how much they're willing to pony up for it.

The market for sms or mms isn't based on what it costs a cell phone provider to deliver it; it's based on how much in demand those products are and for what price. It doesn't cost a music content provider but a penny or two in bandwidth to deliver an mp3 to me (if that, even), but if I want the song bad enough to pay $1.29 for it, then I'll pay for it.
NuShrike

join:2010-09-01

Re: It comes down to what the market will bear

MaBell just jumped the shark. People need to switch to free-texting apps at this rate.

If you really support small gov't and/or tax cuts, you wouldn't be feeding the AT&T troll.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

10 MILLION Percent

According to the article on Gizmodo it works out to a 10M% premium over what they charge for regular data.

»gizmodo.com/5832245/atts-new-tex···10000000

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Re: 10 MILLION Percent

said by thegeek:

According to the article on Gizmodo it works out to a 10M% premium over what they charge for regular data.

»gizmodo.com/5832245/atts-new-tex···10000000

And their data is priced at least 10X higher than it should be.

It takes 7 million texts using all 160 characters to equal 1 GB of data. You'd have to send and receive 19,000 a day to use that much in a year. So even if you buy at&t's notion that 1 GB cost $10 texting shouldn't be more than $10 a year. What's sad is if at&t charged say just $5 a month for unlimited texting a year they'd still make over $5 billion a year. Yet that's not enough.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

Re: 10 MILLION Percent

I don't fault them for making all sorts of money though. I do what I can to earn as much as I can in the businesses I own. I don't royally screw my customers over like they do though. But I also don't have multi-billion dollar profits and millions of customers either.

••••

anon8769

@mich.net

I know how to fix them!

Just thought how to fix them. Get the $20 unlimited texting plan and get a program to send your data via texts. You can send unlimited 160 byte packets and start racking up megabytes worth of texts!!

••••••••

Premium
West Tenness

Interesting facts

from at&t website

Key Facts

We are the largest communications holding company in the world by revenue. Operating globally under the AT&T brand, we are:

Proud to offer one of the world's most advanced and powerful global backbone networks, carrying 23.7 petabytes of data traffic on an average business day to nearly every continent and country, with up to 99.999 percent reliability.

Ok so if data actually cost $10 per GB at&t would be spending $250 million a DAY( or $90 billion a year ) on data. We all know they don't.
TWCcdman

join:2002-04-14
Kernersville, NC

Google Voice +1 by me

I have the old $5 for 200 messages on 2 of my phones. I'm going to cancel it, place a texting block and oh use google voice or yahoo messenger. F&$? AT&T. They are actin just like the old AT&T that was broken up in the 80s. Hope ut happens again.

•••

HarveyRabit

@windstream.net

Blame the FCC

They allowed this duopoly of Verizon/AT&T. Give Verizon a month and they will do the same thing. Consumers must suffer with this lack of options... its our fault... its our government.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

Next up: 200 MB data plan.

Better kiss that 200 MB plan goodbye if you want it. Oh, and next year the 2 GB plan is gone in favor of the 4 GB+tethering plan. Better lock yourself in soon!

To hell with this; a local carrier is launching their HSPA+ network soon. As soon as my contract is up, I'm dropping AT&T, unlocking my iPhone, and taking it elsewhere. I'll buy an unlocked iPhone when the then-coming version comes out.

No, the data plan isn't going away. I was being sarcastic

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL

Re: Next up: 200 MB data plan.

I don't see this happening. The 200MB plan allows AT&T to target those "casual" smartphone users. The moms, the dads, hell even the grandparents. They don't use a lot of data but want a smartphone. Hey, it's only $15 a month!
majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
The problem is if you have an iphone my quick pricing for a family plan shows that its not any cheaper with verizon either.
millerja01a

join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC

We dropped txt about 2 wks ago

My wife has a Cappy and I, the Infuse. That means more chat clients than there are stars in the sky to choose from.

SMS/MMS is so '90's now.

Plus geting back $20 a month...WIN!!!!

EDIT: BTW, you can tell AT&T to block all incoming/outgoing SMS/MMS to your number, so if anyone tries to send you a SMS, it's blocked and you don't get charged.

Need to send SMS? Google Voice, Skype...the list is long.

Premium
West Tenness

Re: We dropped txt about 2 wks ago

said by millerja01a:

Need to send SMS? Google Voice, Skype...the list is long.

Sure just get a new number you ave to tell everyone to use. that's not a pain.
millerja01a

join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC

Re: We dropped txt about 2 wks ago

I did that and no it actually wasn't that hard on others. They adjusted quite easily.
ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

I would use GV for all texting....

However it's still too inconvenient to give people my GV number, then when I miss their call, I have to make sure I call using my GV number otherwise they will have my real cell number.

It's not very convenient....
rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

Re: I would use GV for all texting....

If you are on Android, get the free program Flex Dialer Light. My dial pattern is A,B,2,C#,

MIABye
Premium
join:2001-10-28
united state

ATT Must Hate Me

I am still clinging on to the $5 per month SMS option and I'm not letting go!
Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

More Abuse from the Cell Phone Companies

I'm really about to here with these guys. I've recently learned that with US Cellular (My provider for the last 5 years) that if you go over 5GB, you get to pay the bargain price of .25 a MB! How nice of them to cap overages at $200 extra a month. So now 5.8 GB of data costs $230.

It's not a problem with a Blackberry, but why then would I want an Android on your worthless network? Bye bye USCC, time to go to a prepaid dumbphone.

The wireless companies are the devil, and there's only one way to teach them a lesson. Cut their services out of our lives.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

Re: More Abuse from the Cell Phone Companies

said by Os:

I'm really about to here with these guys. I've recently learned that with US Cellular (My provider for the last 5 years) that if you go over 5GB, you get to pay the bargain price of .25 a MB! How nice of them to cap overages at $200 extra a month. So now 5.8 GB of data costs $230.

I am helping my GF shop for a new cell phone plan and US Cellular was one we were looking at. It says on there plans that overages are capped at $50.....are you on an old plan that possibly does not have the capped overages? There pricing looks really good....she will never come close to 5 GBs though.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts
Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: More Abuse from the Cell Phone Companies

No, this is from their website last night. Their old plans (before the "Belief Project") had unlimited data. Then they started having with those "Data Plus" which had 5GB which appeared to be a soft cap at first. Now it's this.

Perhaps they're different in other more competitive regions. Here in MD, their overage limit is now $200. They're essentially charging $250 a GB, which makes AT&T and Verizon look like saints.
iwin32

join:2011-07-11
Reedley, CA

I dislike

I dislike monetary systems.
elray

Santa Monica, CA

Protest Too Much, Much?

I haven't been an AT&T customer since 1995, when other pastures opened up. Today, there are near a dozen alternatives.

And yet, nearly a hundred million sheep would rather whine and complain, than switch.

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24

It's not so bad

The $20 unlimited text plan is not that bad. Anyone who subscribes also gets unlimited mobile to ANY mobile essentially getting unlimited calling.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

••••
duked

join:2000-08-12
Bath, ME
Reviews:
·Comcast

Do we really need all this

Do we really need all the "toys" that come with these smart phones?
I have to admit,I think these phones are cool and I have had a couple in the past. Then I got the bills with the 2 year contract which basically says "gotta for 2 years". it was just ridiculous.
2 years later i have a 35 dollar a month phone,and it does everything I need a phone to do,talk to people. I remember the reason to get a cell phone,for me and the wife was. if the car broke down or something like that. we could call for help.
anyone seen a payphone lately
scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC

Re: Do we really need all this

Prepaid cell service works well for this. (And for my cell usage as well).
thedragonmas

Albany, GA
grab a prepaid, put i think $100 of minutes on it, and your good for a year (last time i looked $100 card stated the minutes did not expire for one year) im seriously considering this as we really only use our phones to find each other or some place (legally blind)

as to your OP, some of those features are nice, but definitly not worth the mandatory fee's. i tryd a smartphone for a short time because all i wanted was the large screen and it was the only phone i could find with text to speech. but paying the mandatory fee's just to get text to speech was a bitch much.

if i could find a standard phone with talking voice mail (name as well, not just the number) and could do said text to speach for txt's, id be set.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

DIE SMS!

google voice for me..

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

iMessage

I will use the new iMessage from Apple on my iPhone when OS5 comes out. It is free and everyone I know use iPhones.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."
lifespeed

join:2009-09-08

Anybody ever hear of email?

Don't think I saw a single mention of email in this thread. You know that email address you have? That everybody already knows? Setup up your smartphone email to use IMAP IDLE to the server instead of ancient POP3. Tell your phone to "ding" when you get an email. It is instantaneous, no waiting for the email client to poll every XX minutes.

Problem solved, same thing as text messaging using what you already have, and an address your friends already know. No need for an SMS app with a phone number, handle, or ID your friends will need to learn.
--
Lifespeed
MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA

Re: Anybody ever hear of email?

lol yeah time to ditch SMS