spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-08-25 18:16:44: AT&T has been engaging in a lot of nickel-and-diming behavior of late that's normal for an anti-competitive giant, but a little odd for a company trying to sell regulators on their $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

vrette
Premium
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL

Really?

A fee for not making enough long distance calls? Really? Why don't they take all that extra bandwidth leftover from people not making long distance calls and put it to good use, like shove it up their... Really, this is one of the most ridiculous "fees" yet.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

Albert71292

join:2004-10-31
West Monroe, LA

Hate AT&T

Dropped AT&T DSL back in May when they announced monthly bandwidth caps, moved to a local DSL provider with no caps. If the local provider didn't require a landline based phone number to use their service, I'd cancel that also, and just get a cheap "pay as you go" phone, NOT through AT&T.

I never make long distance calls, yet that charge was on my bill. After other taxes and fees on that $2.00, it's a total of $4.57/month for NOT making long distance calls!

AT&T are the biggest scumbags on the planet. Hate giving them ANY money, but unfortunately I HAVE to if I want to keep using the DSL provider I'm using.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

I'm surprised it's *only* $2!

The EFF posted an article today that many electric companies charge their customers for not using enough power. The fee can be as high at $10 for using less than 1000 kilowatt hours per month! (and they have been doing this for a while now.)

»stopthecap.com/2011/08/25/more-t···+Service

Companies will do whatever they can get away with to get as much money from their customers.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

wtf?

A long time ago (like in the 80's), we put a block on long distance phone calls due to relatives making long distance calls to korea. Later on we asked AT&T about getting it back after they left. They said its going to cost to take the block off. My parents said forget about it and we've had only local calls all this time. Now we are going to get a $2 fee for not having long distance? Fuck em, going to cancel once we see the first charge.

Now can we port over our landline number to a cellular number?

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
reply to Albert71292

Re: Hate AT&T

Several years ago, when I still had a POTS line, I recall AT&T adding on taxes/fees on my bill just for the ability to make a long distance call. After contacting Qwest, they were able to remove my ability to place long distance calls and those fees were no longer on the monthly bill.

You may want to try contacting your phone company and asking them to remove the long distance carrier from your line.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to vrette

Re: Really?

Just when you thought the toilet couldn't get any more putrid.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
reply to Duramax08

Re: wtf?

said by Duramax08:

Now can we port over our landline number to a cellular number?

More than likely, you WILL be able to port your number. You will need to contact your cellular carrier to be sure.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
I am going to charge you $50 for not using our company.

Albert71292

West Monroe, LA
reply to crazyk4952

I tried that. They said I HAD to have long distance capability, even if I didn't use it. Tried to argue with the phone rep for nearly half an hour, to no avail. Finally gave up trying to get the charge and long distance removed.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
That is B.S.

Maybe it's time to vote with your wallet and move to VOIP....

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

Standard business practice

When Verizon started doing this about 5 years ago I cancelled. AT&T used to actually have a good business sending out $10 monthly long-distance bills to random people who didn't even use their service, so clearly they have reformed!

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland

Killing the business

When your customers are not leaving fast enough for your business plan, you have to find ways to get them to leave. They are trying to collapse the wireline network as fast as they can, so it can be shuttered to an unwitting buyer or so it can be shut down. They truly believe that wireless will haul all the mail for them...
--
Clouds in my coffee...

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA

Last straw/nail in the coffin/etc

Unbelievable. The end of the world in December '12? Hardly. It's happening as we speak. I've been a very-long-time customer of AT&T, with landline/DSL/cell. I've been looking at Suddenlink for internet & possibly home phone service ever since I heard about AT&T's cap/overage crap. I will now vote with my wallet, and visit the local Suddenlink office/Cell Phone provider on my next day off.
--
"There's nothing you can screw up so badly that a judicious application of money can't fix!"

Albert71292

West Monroe, LA
reply to crazyk4952

Don't you need internet for VOIP? If I drop my phone service, I lose my internet from the local provider. Bayou Internet says they can't provide internet without a landline phone number. Switched to Bayou because of no caps. Only other game in town is Comcrap, err, Comcast, and even THEY cap monthly usage, so they aren't an option in my opinion.

Between all the video I watch online and my sons gaming, we'd eat through those caps in no time.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

Don't forget the LD Crap Charges the $2.00 fee will trigger!

AT&T really knows how to screw a customer! Before ILEC's were allowed to offer LD service I used AT&T LD service. One day my bill increased by about $4.00 per month. When I asked AT&T why the increase, I was advised that AT&T had started to charge an in state connection fee of $3.40, in addition to the $12.00 fees I was already paying AT&T for a $0.07 per minute rate. Their excuse for the charge was so they could maintain the $0.07 per minute rate for intrastate as well as interstate LD. I was charged about $0.60 in crap charges over the in state connection fee. When I complained that I almost never made an in state call they said if I did not like their rates to go somewhere else. At the time I used BellSouth for Intra-LATA calls so AT&T did not have to pay the premium for local long distance.

With the minimum $2.00 fee, customers will be charged that fee, plus the crap charges associated with the first minute of a LD Call. When BellSouth was allowed to sell LD I switched to their $0.18 per minute LD service which included no additional charges. That remained in effect for about a year. About a year later I sent a FAX that lasted one minute. I got was billed about $4.00 for the call. Why, they charged $0.18 for the call and an additional $3.82 in crap charges.

The $2.00 minimum fee will wind up costing the customer $5.00 after crap charges are added.

AT&T is taking advantage of the fact that our Fascist Supreme Court has prohibited class action suites against corporations that require binding arbitration to settle disputes in their contracts so consumers have no power against such abuse.

myself

@intnet.net
reply to Duramax08

Sprint came out with Phone Connect. It's a modem-looking box with an antenna sticking out of it. It uses Sprint's cell service. The box also has phone plug, so you can plug your landline phone into it. All you need is a power outlet and you can make phone calls using your old phone. And you CAN port in your old landline.

I obtained two of these boxes for locations where phone wiring from Verizon was crappy. No more service calls to Verizon!

And on top of that, your unlimited nationawide calling is around $20/month. That's all you pay. I would leave AT&T left-right-and-center.

Cheers

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to vrette

Verizon also has a similar fee if you use their LD. It's around $5 though.

You can get around this fee by switching LD providers to someone like Pioneer Telephone. My parents, who still have a basic (albeit unmetered for local calls) landline have done this and their phone bill is less as a result.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to Albert71292

Have you measured your internet usage?

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to crazyk4952

Re: I'm surprised it's *only* $2!

Some utilities just have a monthly fee no matter what, in addition to KwH usage. CTEC (local electric cooperative) charges $22.50 per month per meter plus X cents per KwH based on market conditions (their cost), plus another X cents per KwH as a distribution charge (around 2.7 cents iirc). There *is* a fixed cost for providing utility service so I don't have a particular problem with this, but if your energy bill is $10 then stop complaining.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to myself

Verizon has the same thing, though off-contract pricing for the box is a little more I think.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Um

they have allways had this fee ever since they had LD here back when it was SBC there awas the 2.00 min fee. And that was 2003ish

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to vrette

when i had a landline with bellsouth i rarely used LD, i didnt want to pay a monthly just to be able to make LD calls every so often, and i didnt like the "base rate" they charged if you didnt have a LD plan. so i talked to them, at the time they had a plan that charged $0 a month UNLESS you used it, then it cost you $5 for that month plus the per minute rate. dont know if ATT has a similar plan

but frankly this is dumb as all get out. cell phones dont charge extra for LD, my voip (through mediacom) doesnt charge extra for LD either. so att is gonna go pull some crap like this? i know its "just" $2 but i wonder how many people will consider this the last straw and port out?

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Some utilities just have a monthly fee no matter what, in addition to KwH usage. CTEC (local electric cooperative) charges $22.50 per month per meter plus X cents per KwH based on market conditions (their cost), plus another X cents per KwH as a distribution charge (around 2.7 cents iirc).

I completely understand this. I believe my electric company charges me a $2-3 fee every month just to have a connection. This is reasonable to me.

said by iansltx:

but if your energy bill is $10 then stop complaining.

It's not that simple. As an example, if you used 900 KWH for the month (and you were charged $0.10 per KWH), then you would be billed $90 PLUS the $10 fee.... (it's not just a minimum fee).

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to Albert71292

said by Albert71292:

Only other game in town is Comcrap, err, Comcast, and even THEY cap monthly usage, so they aren't an option in my opinion.

I no longer have Comcast as they are not in the city I now live in. But last year I had Comcast, and to be honest I had a hard time even coming close to the 250GB limit. I mean, if one was really inclined to do so, they could, but it takes effort.

Granted I wasn't streaming HD Netflix shows back then nearly as much as I am now, so it might be a different story now.

Moral of the story, if you don't do anything excessive, Comcast may be worth looking into if you really want an alternative to a phone company.

Six Gun Kid
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Huntsville, AL
reply to rlt2562

Re: Last straw/nail in the coffin/etc

If I see it on our bill, the cord will be cut. This Company is becoming more and more of a joke as time goes on.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

Verizon beat them to it

Verizon started doing this like 5 years ago. They imposed a $6 minimum monthly charge if you didn't make at least that much in LD calls per month. I wound up switching to the Freedom Essential bundle with my DSL and "unlimited" LD. I still make few LD calls on my landline, but I satisfy the criteria for calling-in to my IPKALL virtual numbers at least once a month. Several times a month, actually...and leave the line open for 20-30 minutes at a time. At least I'm supporting a free service.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

hrz

join:2007-12-01
Utica, MI

Surprise, Surprise!

I'm an AT&T/AmerITech/SBC/at&t customer in LATA 340.

Got rid of "local toll" & "long distance" years ago when ILEC
tried to pull similar-but-not-identical crap. Each set as NONE.

Used GC-now-GV for those needs, plus GOOG-411 -> TellMe
DA & similar. Never EVER looking back. My MRC is $22.97;
"Call Plan 50" + 6016/768 line-share, minus LifeLine & other
negotiated credits. If at&t mis-behaves, I beat 'em up!

Cheers - from Metro Detroit.

PS: Don't even get me started about "Zone" calling...

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Don't forget the LD Crap Charges the $2.00 fee will trigger!

said by Mr Matt:

AT&T is taking advantage of the fact that our Fascist Supreme Court has prohibited class action suites against corporations that require binding arbitration to settle disputes in their contracts so consumers have no power against such abuse.

The simple, but impossible to sell, solution is for *the people* to stand up and make it clear to the people they vote for who they are supposed to be representing. If the electorate would pull its head out of the sand and actually *participate*, corporations and banks would be smacked-down right and left, with Congress passing laws that keep them from screwing the consumer.

I have said for decades: The only thing a politician fears more than pissing off a huge donor is a pissed-off and engaged constituency that won't vote for him no matter how much money he raises.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to vrette

This is hilarious. And I thought my local telco (Bell Canada) was the king of ripoffs. I wonder how long they sniff out this gem and we see it on our bills here.
--
BUCK FELL. From UBB to AVP. Same wolf in sheep's clothing.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to crazyk4952

Okay, so it's a service fee that goes away when you hit 1000KWh. Makes some sense but is marketed badly