dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-06 11:38:15: The start of September seems to have brought with it another round of carriage pricing disputes, with consumers -- already paying sky-high prices for cable TV -- again stuck in the middle. Just as the U.S. ..

prev · 1 · 2

StudioTech
Off The Air
join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ

StudioTech to Tennis Fan

to Tennis Fan

Re: Tennis Channel really?

said by Tennis Fan :

I don't care who is to blame. I don't like having the channel I watch the most cut off in the middle of the most important tennis tournament in North America. It has opened my eyes to what Directv is offering now, which are some good offers such as free NFL Sunday ticket also.

You do realize that at this point of the tournament, almost all of the matches are going to be either on ESPN2 or CBS anyway and all of the matches can we watched live on the US Open's website, right?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: screw channels

said by fifty nine:

said by tmc8080:

just give us some more interactive content via widgets w/o tethering to internet media manager program!!! where the hell has this idea gone? they were supposed to introduce a new guide to metro NY.. and as of now? nothing!

Sure. Willing to pay for it?

No!, However, when the time comes I'm willing to cut the cord for video without it! If cablevision can do video streaming apps then Verizon can get their ass in gear and evolve the cable-tv business model! 2011-2012 is late enough! Btw, you'd have to PAY ME to watch tennis.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

espn is pushing Longhorn Network to a point it may be needed

espn is pushing Longhorn Network to a point it may be needed to keep to epsn.

Now I want to see dish, directv, comcast, Time Warner Cable and others to all to say no and maybe even drop ESPN for some time.
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to jmn1207

to jmn1207

canada is like that.
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

There is a tennis channel??

Never heard of it and won't miss it, or any sports channels. I'd rather have lower prices than sports channels.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

They can demand all the want. If there isn't significant viewership they don't have the upper hand and the cableco can tell them to pound sand.

And that's what Mediacom did. This channel disappeared on Sep 3. Permanently. As in 'we won't carry it anymore' and not 'we are trying to work out some things'

Every person so far reacted like this

'Huh? There was a tennis channel?'

I hope golf channels are next.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

New home for Tennis channel?

I thought it kind of bizarre when Cablevision moved the Game Show Network into sports pak:

»[iO] GSN to sports Pak? WHY Cablevison???

If only the Game Show Network really were a network, then the Tennis channel could be bundled with it
gogreen0
join:2010-09-10
Virginia Beach, VA

gogreen0

netTALK TV

Thats why I cant wait for netTALK TV to come!

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

Tennis Channel.. LOL!

PEACE!!!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

They can demand all the want. If there isn't significant viewership they don't have the upper hand and the cableco can tell them to pound sand.

this channel would just die out if we had true ala carte.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
I fail to see how picking the US Open as a time to do this adds anything to their argument when the open is carried on mass carried channels already.

Its not quite like if Fox where to be pulling the plug on Superbowl Sunday(though id imagine they would get sued by the NFL for loss of ad revenue if they did that in a carriage fight with a big CATV provider)
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Love means nothing to the Tennis Channel

Lots of people watch football and baseball, even if they don't play it themselves.

The opposite may be true for tennis. Many people play it, but who wants to spend hours watching it, except perhaps for a couple of big tournaments each year.

Tennis Channel ?

How is that a broad enough base to be viable ?!

Seriously, if there were one channel that combined tennis, volleyball, bowling, and softball, that might be viable.

----------------------------------------------

In this dispute, the Tennis Channel will end up with "love".

anonnona
@verizon.net

anonnona

Anon

cable/sat/telco should form a coalition

The cable companies, satellite companies, and telco should all form a content negotiation coalition where they all collectively negotiate with the content companies at the same time. Networks would be less demanding if they knew all the carriers would drop them simultaneously. They might even be able to force the price of ESPN down because even though the networks can use the internet as a distribution means, they would lose a lot more for several reasons:
1) The vast majority of consumers still prefer the ease of watching TV versus sitting in front of a computer screen. Also computers limit the number of simultaneous viewers. Most consumers don't know/want to connect their PCs to the TV either.
2) If the networks put their offerings online for Free, they would be canabalizing their own revenue stream. If you have to pay to access it, few subscribers would actually pay a new separate bill to have content, most would learn to live without it.
3) Advertizers would seriously cut spending on those networks no longer being carried by the subscription TV providers.
4) Bandwidth caps and slow broadband speeds would hinder the online viewing experience for many.
In the end there might be a month long blackout or so, but the content companies would come back with their tails between their legs. Of course this will never work because the cable/sat/telcos hate each other too much to try working together on this and as long as the content companies have one way or another to get to your TV set there is no need for them to be reasonable in their pricing.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina to jmn1207

to jmn1207

Don't put it past the government to let them fail and then pump more money into PBS. All part of their plan to create state-run media and control information.

OK -- I know that sounds like a 9/11 conspiracy theorist but I think we need to get rid of PBS and not ever rescue failed businesses. There's a reason species survive on this planet. Billions of predecessor species died. Interfering with this natural selection process is dangerous...

I also think we need to reinstate the regulation that stops content creators from being owned or owning content delivery. It troubles me that Comcast bought NBC/Universal and the "gubbermint" rubber stamped it.
prev · 1 · 2