spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-16 10:36:15: Netflix stock was down 19% yesterday with the company's admission that their new rate hikes, imposed amidst great wailing back in July, will likely result in them losing 1 million customers. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online

They didn't lose me

They didn't lose me as I only had streaming and hence the rate remained constant.

For those that had DVD & streaming and their rate doubled, I still think Netflix's deal is way better than ANY other alternative, although if you cancelled to voice your opinion that is fine.
--
B.S. in Mathematics
Graduate student: M.S. in Mathematics

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

Cancelled my subscription...

the day when it was announced...

hhawkman
Premium
join:2001-02-08
Port Hueneme, CA
reply to Moropo

Re: They didn't lose me

I had both DVD/BD and streaming. I dropped the disc side because of the rate hike, and I was having a lot of trouble playing the discs. The DVD's were scratched up horribly, The BR's looked ok, but they froze up a lot. (and yes, I tried them in 3 different players).

If the Streaming Selection doesn't get better, I may drop that as well.

PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX
reply to cooperaaaron

Re: Cancelled my subscription...

said by cooperaaaron:

the day when it was announced...

Tell me who do you go for movies to??

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

$18 per month for DVDs and streaming still not a bad deal

With the local Blockbuster costing $4 to rent one movie that needs to be returned in 3 days and the added streamed content, it's still not a bad deal.

Anything higher and they could keep it.

Irun Man
Live with fire
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY

works for me!!

I went from 1 DVD to streaming only... now not only am I paying less, NO SALES TAX!! I'll get my discs from the DVDxpress kiosk.
--
I turned on my computer for this?

PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

People that cancelled are stupid

Ok, so you like watching movies (either streaming or on your DVD player), netflix's price goes up and you cancel. What now?? What do you do now?? You now have no supply.

Yes, you may drive around to find a RedBox, but isnt that $1 per movie?? How is that better/cheaper than Netflix???

You may also claim: "I am moving over to Hulu+" - Are you serious?? Hulu+ library sucks and it literally only complements Netflix on giving you the "Live TV" experience.

Dont be mad/angry at netflix, be mad at the studios, if they werent jacking up the prices for netflix to stream the content, netflix wouldnt have had to increase their price. Companies are here to make money, not to make customers happy; people forget this all the time...

You may also say "$16" is too much, well my friend, you might have bigger financial problems and should definitively take care of that instead of worrying about watching movies.

InfinityDev

join:2005-06-30
USA

The threat

Right on target with the real threat to Netflix's business.

A friend is canceling his service after over a decade, and I'm not upset at the rate hike.

I urged my friend to resubscribe because Netflix is the only pure play internet entertainment provider that has the clout to try and get network neutrality passed. Google should do it, but is so in bed with the carriers to keep Android on the front burner that they risk getting them angry.

But Netflix has the best chance with elected officials to explain simply and in sound bite friendly ways why network neutrality and metered internet are big threats to innovation and continued economic growth in the internet services sector. People know Netflix. People like Netflix (used to like it more, it seems, so they did lose some political capital). People just might call their congresscritter if Netflix starts calling out particular carriers as bogeymen.

Yes, Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo should also definitely be leaning really hard in favor of network neutrality so their gaming networks (and phone networks and now for Microsoft their Win8 cloud everything network) will work, but I'm afraid they will cozy up to the carriers and make back-room deals to pay them off to keep the fast lanes open for them instead.

The tv service providers/ISPs hate Netflix. They want to destroy it. There's no cozying up to them, so Netflix has to fight. What Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and everyone else don't realize is that the carriers hate THEM too, and will steadily choke them off one way or another -- by making consumers afraid to use their internet service or making them pay through the nose for access to their customers -- given any chance to do so.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

reply to PToN

Some people simply do without.

I go to maybe 2 movies a year in the theater, if that. Anything that's out new I can wait for.

I usually look through the free on demand movies offered by my cable provider first, and then I check my own (rather small, but respectable) collection of DVD's.

If I can't find anything worth watching there, I can usually just watch something on non network TV.

And there's always Redbox.

Netflix clearly screwed up the timing & execution of their rate hike. A million people hitting the road is no small blip.

A lot of people are strapped for cash. Used to be people would suck up rate hikes for stuff like Netflix, Sirius XM, and cable.

Those days are long gone, and people are looking at that extra $10 to $18 a month for various services as groceries they can buy, or money for pet food, etc.

Netflix is hitting the road long before fluffy is....
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Verizon VoiceWing

No Problem With Me

I dumped on demand download which we never used and went with just getting DVD's and Blue Ray by mail.

Can't remember if we saved a dollar or two, but at least we only pay for what we use. Their service is great and still cheap.

Wall Street needs their head examined anyway.

I hope Netflix buys a ton of stock, makes some money on the deal so they can keep prices down in the future.

real_goose

join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·localphone.com
·callwithus

Goodbye Netflix

I canceled just before my Sept renewal date. We just don't use either the streaming or DVDs enough to justify paying the new rates. In fact our usage probably didn't justify even the old price but we let it slide. The major rate increase was just too much. I suspect we were actually profitable for Netflix, but they now price for the heavy users.

Most of the DVDs we ordered were either just released or old and obscure. Red Box can handle new releases but we'll miss the oldies. Frankly we are spending less time in front of the TV and enjoying life a little more. We record more than we can watch with a TiVo connected to cable limited basic and OTA. The Canadian stations in our area converted to digital in August, so we have even more options.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to PToN

Re: People that didnt cancel are stupid

said by PToN:

Companies are here to make money, not to make customers happy; people forget this all the time...

I left the only part of your post that was relevant and true.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25

Where is the growth opportunity?

I'm a pro netflix guy, subscriber since 2002. I am just a streaming only subscriber now, and it is great for kids shows, and I've enjoyed some of the AMC shows they have now.

DVD business is dying fast. They'll be extinct as CDs in a couple years. So where do they grow their business. They've pretty much saturated the market now. I don't see a whole of people subscribing to Netflix who don't already.

They are strictly a niche provider of post theatrical/ppv/disc/pay tv window movies. No need to get in the ppv game, as any tv with a few components hooked up probably has access to 8 different providers offering those. Where do they go from here? Probably more valuable to Google, Amazon or Apple to fold into their offerings than anything else, I'd guess. Their stock price is ridiculous, even after coming back to earth a bit.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PToN

Re: People that cancelled are stupid

said by PToN:

Ok, so you like watching movies (either streaming or on your DVD player), netflix's price goes up and you cancel. What now?? What do you do now?? You now have no supply.

Yes, you may drive around to find a RedBox, but isnt that $1 per movie?? How is that better/cheaper than Netflix???

You may also claim: "I am moving over to Hulu+" - Are you serious?? Hulu+ library sucks and it literally only complements Netflix on giving you the "Live TV" experience.

Dont be mad/angry at netflix, be mad at the studios, if they werent jacking up the prices for netflix to stream the content, netflix wouldnt have had to increase their price. Companies are here to make money, not to make customers happy; people forget this all the time...

You may also say "$16" is too much, well my friend, you might have bigger financial problems and should definitively take care of that instead of worrying about watching movies.

WOW, it never seemed to cross you mind that people might mosey on to the illegal, or gray markets at their option with all the good & bad that potentially has in store for them.... From many people I hear about websites that even cater to streaming 1st run movies far ahead of dvd releases so paid alternatives begin looking less and less customer friendly the higher priced they go.

I just happen to notice Netflix's stock price is $160 a share.. and could imagine that these comments are aimed at managing someone's portfolio rather than really trying to convince someone to stick paying a higher price for content for other purposes. Just with netflix, I can imagine there are "PR trolls" for other large earning corporations such as Apple, Google etc... who do the same kind of blogging & message board posts, but I rarely call them out for what they are..

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

you read it here first

"Netflix's biggest problem isn't angry subscribers. A year from now, most users will forget that this shift in pricing strategy even occurred. Netflix's biggest problem remains the fact that studios and ISPs are eager to slow or stop Netflix's disruption of legacy video services through a combination of skyrocketing programming costs and metered broadband usage."

The quote is backwards.
Studios and ISP's are eager to kick the S*@! out of Netflix. The angry subscriber portion comes in after, because in a year the streaming fee will have it's own 60% rate increase.
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to Moropo

I stuck with both too.

1 Million loss isn't much and many will probably come back. Not sure why the stock went down. The net revenue might actually go up.

b0b1234

@spcsdns.net

Netflix online library

I use netflix on the Roku and their online library is lacking and needs more!

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to PToN

Piracy is the default. Information is free. Netflix was able to erode the piracy market by providing a low-cost product that was superior in some ways. Now that the studios have consolidated their power to bend the world to their perverse will and remove any website or user from the internet they are more confident in their pricing ability.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to tmc8080

This whole article is nothing more than a PR/damage control for netflix.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
reply to PToN

Because the streaming selection isn't worth the price it is offered for so we canceled it. We still have the DVD section, but are evaluating Blockbuster's offer at this time.

We use Bluray so that matters. We're also evaluating going to a single disk on either BB or Netflix and using Redbox to supplement.

It all is based on your consumption.

You may think $16 isn't much, but many times those who are in good financial shape got there by using fiscal discipline on all their financial matters. It all adds up.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

Movie Selection

I have seen their movie selection deteriorate.

Movies that used to be available are no longer. I mean for streaming. I know that Netflix often cant do much about it.

My brother and I also share an account and you cant stream at the same time any more.

I would gladly pay 20/month for streaming that had a normal selection of movies as I do not have or want cable TV.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
reply to nfotiu

Re: Where is the growth opportunity?

We cancelled the streaming because we have enough kids shows at the house and the streaming selection of movies was just the pits unless you liked old or B movies.

Streaming won't be a threat to DVDs until they can get the exact same titles on the same release dates. At this rate that's going to be a long time.

Even Netflix themselves state that 60% of their streaming are TV shows where as only 18% of their DVD rentals are TV shows. There in lies the fact that people are mainly using DVD for new releases and the streaming just to fill in the gaps.

Plus, how's that ISP cap going to work out streaming 1080p/24 with full DTS?

»www.multichannel.com/article/473···vior.php

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 edit
reply to hhawkman

I have been a Netflix subscriber since 2005 and had the 2 at a time DVD/BD as well, but had dropped to streaming only a couple of months before the rate hike because I just couldn't find the time to watch the disks. The rate hike really didn't affect me. While I have to go rent blu-rays or brand new releases if I want them, I still find value and convenience with their streaming library.

Edited for grammar and sentence structure.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29

I left before this...

Very little streaming on there servers is the main reason for my disconnect from them..

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

2 recommendations

Huh?

Someone is missing the point, and this time it's not just Netflix.

quote:
Consumers continue to pay for cable despite bi-annual rate hikes after all, and $8 for streaming or DVD rentals continues to present good value in the face of ever-soaring cable TV rates.
I'm not sure exactly how many are "content" with bi-annual rate hikes, but for the last several years I've made damn certain that I continually get put on promotional rates with my TV and/or Internet providers. If they refuse, I switch. End result, my entertainment costs have remained flat over the last several years.

What Netflix fails to realize is that by raising prices, they are quickly falling out of "complementary service" range when it comes to cable TV. Myself and many I know originally subscribed to Netflix in order to rent DVDs as a complementary service to broadcast/cable TV. When they added streaming, their selection wasn't great, but rapidly got better. In the end, it was STILL only a complementary service though, as everything they had was available on cable or elsewhere anyway. But for the price, Netflix still offered a value advantage for what it provided. But then they went and all but "doubled" the price or split up the service.

Let's face it, the streaming portion, especially with it losing a good deal of content recently, is a mediocre attraction at par price. The DVD component is still competitive with the industry, especially given Netflix's ability to provide recent content in a timely manner. But honestly, with companies like Redbox breathing down their throats and becoming ubiquitous - I mean really, how many people actually plan out what movies they want to see in advance for months at a time?

Sorry, this move was purely a shareholder move. I have a feeling it will be far more than just a "blip on the radar" in the long run.

MTBikerChris
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Broomfield, CO
reply to cooperaaaron

I did the same, When i got that Email i X my Acct that day.. I now use blockbuster Xpress for the few movies i rent a month!!!

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to PToN

said by PToN:

I think that you miss the people who like movies but have their financial limits, so they do without. Yes, if $16 is going to break you, then you have bigger problems, but it isn't just that $16; it's all the other little charges that people encounter that start to add up. For example, I just had to pay a car tag renewal, plus I just found that my city garbage fee is about to increase, and I need to have some storm windows fixed, and my quarterly bill from the termite inspection company is coming soon, etc. No one bill is a burden, but these things wear you down after a while.

scott2020

join:2008-07-20
MO
reply to Moropo

I dumped the DVD and kept streaming for now. The streaming portion seems to get worse, not better. Let's hope the $$ they bring in is put to good use.

We use Redbox now once very 2 weeks or so, sometimes less. I can't pay $8 a month for the added convenience of getting DVD's in the mail, when I walk past a Redbox almost every day. I can get 8 Redbox DVD's for that money.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

1 dvd

I do 1 dvd at a time being gas is soo high that makes redbox pretty much worthless for me... Wish I could do streaming, but wireless is soo flaky that its just not dependable...

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Moropo

I dropped the DVD also and kept the streaming. I really enjoy it as I watch a lot of old TV. I may come back as a DVD subscriber as I will have more time to watch the DVDs. For the last coup,e of months I had DVDs out for 4 weeks before I got around to watching them so it didn't pay. And there are no Redboxes near me.