dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-19 08:55:54: Last week Netflix acknowledged that the company's decision to split apart their DVD rental and streaming tiers -- and impose a massive rate hike in the process -- resulted in them losing a million more subscribers than previously predicted. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Asus RT-AC87

1 recommendation

N10Cities

Premium Member

Groan......gotta keep track of two accounts, now?

I can see why they did this....long ago they said that streaming was their future, hence 'Net'flix name.......

Now, I got to keep track of two accounts instead of one...oh well....still pretty good bang for the buck.....

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Awesome

Need to name the main service now Netflikster
jims2321
join:2000-04-05
Suwanee, GA
·Charter

jims2321

Netflix not so smart?

The biggest reason I think Netflix is going to suffer is that their streaming side lacks current content. This alone will hurt their bottom line. Then the inability to stream if the user is a dvd subscriber. This really is going to impact their business.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102

Premium Member

New Logo

Qwikster? Where have we heard this before?

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

You can take physical media out of my cold dead hands

Physical media, unlike streaming can be watched as many times as you wish and can't be pulled at a moment's notice.

I can also show movie for the kids on a long road trip where there is no net access for miles. Not to mention if I have no net access at home (cable will probably be out too) that I can pop in a disc and still watch a movie.

Those two are the biggest reasons I will continue to buy content on physical media.

Sure, streaming is convenient but physical media still has quite a few advantages.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

3 recommendations

FFH5 to jims2321

Premium Member

to jims2321

Re: Netflix not so smart?

said by jims2321:

This really is going to impact their business.

They are writing off DVD by mail business by renaming it and spinning it off. This is a purely financial move to get that business off the books of Netflix so that as DVD by mail is killed off it won't drag down the Netflix stock price. All the pretty words by Netflix's CEO is nothing but a smokescreen for the investors.
FFH5

FFH5

Premium Member

Netflix betting on future Hollywood may not let them have

»Netflix Splits Off DVD Rentals, Calls It 'Qwikster' [133] comments
quote:
While the move is being lamented in the media as a failure before it even begins, it simply signals that Netflix sees the future and plans to focus on what future subscribers will want -- before many even realize they want it.
But will Hollywood let Netflix get to where it says users want to go? Netflix is putting itself at the mercy of the MPAA and so far the MPAA wants to see Netflix die. By betting its future on streaming, Netflix just handed its fate over to the Hollywood studios.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to N10Cities

to N10Cities

Re: Groan......gotta keep track of two accounts, now?

said by N10Cities:

I can see why they did this....long ago they said that streaming was their future, hence 'Net'flix name.......

Now, I got to keep track of two accounts instead of one...oh well....still pretty good bang for the buck.....

Well the people that dropped DVD and went with RedBox had 2 account anyways right?

88615298 (banned) to jims2321

to jims2321

said by jims2321:

The biggest reason I think Netflix is going to suffer is that their streaming side lacks current content. This alone will hurt their bottom line. Then the inability to stream if the user is a dvd subscriber. This really is going to impact their business.

These moves by Netflix will allow them to get more content for streaming. Why people don't get this is beyond me.

if the person is DVD only subscriber they can't stream anyways. So I don't get your point.

88615298 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Netflix betting on future Hollywood may not let them have

said by FFH5:

»Netflix Splits Off DVD Rentals, Calls It 'Qwikster' [133] comments

quote:
While the move is being lamented in the media as a failure before it even begins, it simply signals that Netflix sees the future and plans to focus on what future subscribers will want -- before many even realize they want it.
But will Hollywood let Netflix get to where it says users want to go? Netflix is putting itself at the mercy of the MPAA and so far the MPAA wants to see Netflix die. By betting its future on streaming, Netflix just handed its fate over to the Hollywood studios.

They will be fine. Hollywood tried to kill TV because it was going to cost them money. Hollywood tried to kill cable tv it was going ot cost them money. Hollywood tried to kill the VCR it was going ot cost them money. It takes time for Hollywood to wake up.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I can see Hollywood eventually raising the price of content licensing for Netflix to a point that forces Netflix to essentially price itself out of business. I would imagine Hollywood was quite happy about Netflix's recent customer losses due to their last price hike, and would love to do more to "help."

Of course, I still fail to understand why Hollywood wants to cut off a legitimate media distribution outlet for their content. As long as the price of watching content legally continues to climb, the more piracy becomes a viable alternative.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by pnh102:

said by FFH5:

I can see Hollywood eventually raising the price of content licensing for Netflix to a point that forces Netflix to essentially price itself out of business. I would imagine Hollywood was quite happy about Netflix's recent customer losses due to their last price hike, and would love to do more to "help."

You mean mythical loses like the mythical 60% price hike.

Of course, I still fail to understand why Hollywood wants to cut off a legitimate media distribution outlet for their content. As long as the price of watching content legally continues to climb, the more piracy becomes a viable alternative.

As I stated Hollywood tried ot kil off tv, cable tv, and the VCR because they were "threats" to their bottom line. Hollywood being retarded towards new technology is nothing new.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

Netflix making a mistake:
»gigaom.com/video/netflix ··· -future/
quote:
You also lose the power of the bundle. One reason cable companies have been aggressively pushing triple-play packages over the last several years is that users who subscribe to two or more services are much less likely to quit. By separating DVD-by-mail and streaming businesses into separate billing relationships with subscribers, Netflix is exposing both to potentially higher churn.

NPGMBR
join:2001-03-28
Arlington, VA

NPGMBR to FFH5

to FFH5
You have to keep in mind that this move means that Netflix (Qwikster) will be purchasing fewer DVDs. Consumers have not gotten used to the idea of not buying them so the Studios will lose out.
Taget
join:2004-07-29

Taget

Napster died how many years ago?

I mean as something relevant to absolutely anyone. I'm sure the zombie still roams somewhere or another.

But I digress. Is it really necessary to come up with a dumb name.... any dumb name... just so you have the honor of something that sounds similar?

At least be a bit more recent and call yourself "iQwik" or "FaceDisc" or well to be honest just about any name you could possibly think of would be better than "Qwikster."

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

These moves by Netflix will allow them to get more content for streaming.

You say that, but do you have any proof? All actions so far say Hollywood is intent on drying up their content or raising costs so high that users will abandon Netflix as their prices start doubling and tripling.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

2 recommendations

AnonPerson to 88615298

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Well the people that dropped DVD and went with RedBox had 2 account anyways right?

You just have to argue with every single post, don't you? We get it, you like to take the opposite view than everybody else on every single topic in every news article. It's cute, we all get it. Now you can stop.

In response to the OP. Yeah the split did suck, but how realistic was an $8 all you can eat buffet for the long run? I saw a price hike as inevitable. Lets just hope they can get some better content for streaming now.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by 88615298:

You say that, but do you have any proof? All actions so far say Hollywood is intent on drying up their content or raising costs so high that users will abandon Netflix as their prices start doubling and tripling.

Sure. Before the "price increase" 1 DVD at a time and streaming was $10. So basically people were getting up to 10 DVDs a month delivered for $2 a month. That's a loss leader. That money saved can be used for streaming content. Also they project 800K fewer DVD only subscibers. Ok that 's fewer DVDs that need to be bought fewer red envelopes to be bought, less postage to be paid. Once again that money saved can be used to acquire more streaming content.

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

Netflix making a mistake:
»gigaom.com/video/netflix ··· -future/

quote:
You also lose the power of the bundle. One reason cable companies have been aggressively pushing triple-play packages over the last several years is that users who subscribe to two or more services are much less likely to quit. By separating DVD-by-mail and streaming businesses into separate billing relationships with subscribers, Netflix is exposing both to potentially higher churn.

Netflix tried to bundle and everyone when ape shit over having to pay $16 for both. Sorry charging only $2 for renting 10 DVDs a month is not a sustainable business model

Screavics
Premium Member
join:2011-06-23
Pearcy, AR

Screavics

Premium Member

Cancelled

I have been questioning Netflix with the cost hike and all but this was the over the top decision. I have now cancelled and I will not be alone from the comments I have heard and read on his blog... I will just keep my basic cable and watch the commercials, it's only $10 / more a month vs just having internet...
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to AnonPerson

to AnonPerson

said by AnonPerson:

said by 88615298:

You just have to argue with every single post, don't you? We get it, you like to take the opposite view than everybody else on every single topic in every news article. It's cute, we all get it. Now you can stop.

No I'm pointing out how hypocritical some people are being. and I'm not talking about the OP.

In response to the OP. Yeah the split did suck, but how realistic was an $8 all you can eat buffet for the long run? I saw a price hike as inevitable. Lets just hope they can get some better content for streaming now.

Thew streaming never got a price increase. So I'm not sure what you were referring too.

88615298 (banned) to Screavics

to Screavics

Re: Cancelled

said by Screavics:

I have been questioning Netflix with the cost hike and all but this was the over the top decision. I have now cancelled and I will not be alone from the comments I have heard and read on his blog... I will just keep my basic cable and watch the commercials, it's only $10 / more a month vs just having internet...

If you had streaming only you never got a price hike.

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: New Logo

Ha, I was thinking that too. That's what happens when you have kids I guess.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

You mean mythical loses like the mythical 60% price hike.

Even Netflix themselves admitted that this "mythical" price hike has caused them some pain.

»Netflix to Lose Subscribers Due to Rate Hike
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Also adding video game rentals

No one has brought his up. I've only had streaming never saw the value of renting DVD by mail. Video games would be different. So depending on pricing I might actually get the disc rental now. Hmmm more money for Netflix. Yep Netflix is sure being dumb.

lordfly
join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

lordfly

My thoughts - if anyone cares

I personally cancelled the dvd subscription mostly because I was not getting enough out of it anyway. I like Netflix and there are a lot of movies that my kids like to watch on there. There is still a ton of stuff that I have not ever seen and I will eventually caught up. If I do find something that I really like, I will probably by it on DVD or Blu-ray at Walmart.

So I don't care about the waiting time for new stuff. It used to take 12 months or more to see movies released to VHS. Why is everyone in such a hurry? It seems so strange to see movies go straight to media in under a month.

I also like Crackle, which has old movies and tv shows that I like. Plus it is free.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak to jims2321

Premium Member

to jims2321

said by jims2321:

To add:
I don't think that their streaming content will get better anytime soon. People will realize that $8 is a waste for the same old rehashed content.
spewak

1 recommendation

spewak to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by FFH5:

said by 88615298:

Sure. Before the "price increase" 1 DVD at a time and streaming was $10. So basically people were getting up to 10 DVDs a month delivered for $2 a month. That's a loss leader. That money saved can be used for streaming content. Also they project 800K fewer DVD only subscibers. Ok that 's fewer DVDs that need to be bought fewer red envelopes to be bought, less postage to be paid. Once again that money saved can be used to acquire more streaming content.

You keep rehashing the Netflix CEO's rantings! Look where it has put them. They split the company. Their stock nosedived. The Industry wants to kill Netflix. If you and Reed don't see that yet, it is back to Business 101 for the lot of ya!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: Also adding video game rentals

said by 88615298:

No one has brought his up. I've only had streaming never saw the value of renting DVD by mail. Video games would be different. So depending on pricing I might actually get the disc rental now. Hmmm more money for Netflix. Yep Netflix is sure being dumb.

But they could have added games at any time, without the price hike (but with an extra fee, as they seem to be indicating now) and certainly without the confusing/aliening name change and account changes.

This is a true "no-brainer" as in WTF?

Also see my other comments in the morning links thread
»Monday Morning Links [3] comments

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10 to N10Cities

Premium Member

to N10Cities

said by N10Cities:

...oh well....still pretty good bang for the buck.....

I agree.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next