spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-19 08:55:54: Last week Netflix acknowledged that the company's decision to split apart their DVD rental and streaming tiers -- and impose a massive rate hike in the process -- resulted in them losing a million more subscribers than previously predicted. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Netflix Splits Off DVD Rentals, Calls It 'Qwikster'

Seems to me the name for the slower-to-get mail service should be "Slowster" and the name of the streaming service "Faster" or "Immediatster" or "Streamster".

Otherwise leave the mail service as Netflix and the streaming service Quikster

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to pnh102

Re: Netflix betting on future Hollywood may not let them have

Netflix was paying Starz $30 million but Starz wanted $300 million in a new contract. Hey, Starz, which is better, $30 million or $0 million?

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
reply to 88615298

Re: Blame the correct people

bf69 do you work for netflix or what?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by slckusr:

bf69 do you work for netflix or what?

No just educating the uneducated. I believe an INFORMED populace is a good thing.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to PastTense

Re: This seems too sudden...

said by PastTense:

Why didn't they announce these two changes (the rate change and the name change) at the same time? It would have been more understandable.

That's why the dude is apologizing. He say he fucked up by not doing that. Did you even READ the apology?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Streetlight

Re: Netflix Splits Off DVD Rentals, Calls It 'Qwikster'

said by Streetlight:

Seems to me the name for the slower-to-get mail service should be "Slowster" and the name of the streaming service "Faster" or "Immediatster" or "Streamster".

Otherwise leave the mail service as Netflix and the streaming service Quikster

except MILLIONS of streaming devices have NETFLIX on them.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to jims2321

Re: Netflix not so smart?

said by jims2321:

This really is going to impact their business.

Stock down another 5% today and down about 50% since mid July:
»finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NFLX···ndefined

Their CEO is apologizing because the board is going to toss his butt on the street soon if the stock keeps dropping.
--
»www.rickperry.org/

SixSpeed

join:2001-12-24
USA

Streaming "future?"

Seeing as how their streaming selection is the pits, and they keep losing streaming providers including movies and TV episodes, the "future" isn't looking good.

Right after the price hike, Starz pulled their content.
Netflix is getting too greedy.

I dumped them all together.

SixSpeed

USA
reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by jims2321:

This really is going to impact their business.

Stock down another 5% today and down about 50% since mid July:
»finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NFLX···ndefined

Their CEO is apologizing because the board is going to toss his butt on the street soon if the stock keeps dropping.

Even in his apology he seems indifferent and cocky.

F him. I dropped them.

SixSpeed

USA
reply to ksharp25

Re: Im actually ok with it

said by ksharp25:

My point is this. If Netflix is to survive as a streaming service, I need more than Japanese cartoons, tired old low rated TV series (for the most part), horrible weak-sauce B movies and documentaries no one cares about. I dont care if I have to wait 60 days etc like others, but get me relevant AAA content....still for only $8-10 a month. Or Im out. Period. Not paying $25-45 a month just to get what everyone wants and dreams for Netflix to be (which is the price the industry would love)

You wont get it. They are actually losing content much faster then they are gaining.

Starz content is gone as are many TV episodes.

Netflix streaming is garbage, plain and simple.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to SysOp

Re: Call it what ever you want I'll still be a customer

said by SysOp:

I am one of the million who dropped streaming. However, I went from 1 DVD to 2 DVDs by mail.

Goofy name but who cares.

Same here... although I didn't drop streaming, as I had dropped DVDs last year. There aren't that many movies I can't wait to see anymore.

I'll keep Netflix to spite the corporate moguls, if nothing else.

Edit: The "same here" comment refers to the subject that was dropped, about "I'll still be a customer".

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Streetlight

said by Streetlight:

Netflix was paying Starz $30 million but Starz wanted $300 million in a new contract. Hey, Starz, which is better, $30 million or $0 million?

Starz won't be getting $0. They already signed a deal with Dish Networks to stream Starz content on a Blockbuster streaming service. Details will come this Friday.
»www.fiercecable.com/story/dish-n···11-09-19

Details of how much Starz is getting from Dish/Blockbuster won't be available till Friday, if ever.
--
»www.rickperry.org/

abadaba

join:2005-09-25
Houston, TX
reply to SixSpeed

Re: Streaming "future?"

Like i said in one of my other posts about NFLX. The studios/Hollywood/Cable Co were waiting for the day they could sock it too Netflix. The first blow was adding caps to users/cord cutters, hoping they would flee away from HD/Online content etc. Then Starz which sent everything spiraling downward from there. Netflix new this was going to be the case with news like this. So before hand, they decided to restructure their pricing to cap revenue losses due to all the bad news they had coming their way. They knew the backlash of the news to come would be horrible for them. So let's jack up the pricing and recoup our losses with the ones that stay. They also knew the bandwidth caps were going to be killer and that the studios/Hollywood/Cable CO was after their throats. I can go on and on about the obvious. Truth is...Netflix will be sold within the next 18 months to one of the studios/Hollywood/Cable CO and then you can guarantee the pricing heads upwards to cable TV prices ALONG WITH YOU STILL BEING CAPPED and paying overage. STUDIOS/HOLLYWOOD/CABLE CO WIN...CONSUMERS LOOSE

joe123Larry

@verizon.net
reply to Jason Levine

Well how many DVDs have they bought from the studios.

Both sides are going to take a hit. Though Netflix looks to be trying to forcing the studios' hands. Well we are not going to be buying anymore DVDs which is a decrease in your pocket of millions, though we have this streaming service over here where you can make up some of that money.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to 88615298

Re: Also adding video game rentals

Not at all!
I think (as I said in many other threads) that I belive that some price hike was inevitable and justified (I would have structured and announced it somewhat differently) and games should add a another $4-12 depending on available titles (maybe $7.99 per month , they seem to like that #)

I do think the price hike announcement was less than perfect, and was VERY poorly recieved. (I couldn't figure out why people quit (or claimed to) right away, they had already paid for the rest of the month (NF ToS says NO refunds) my price hike still hasn't taken place (next week is the quit/bill date for me, IF I was planning too).
However this, smells like a panic response (Board says ",DO something!) that was ill planned, basicly in the last 2+ months netflix has"shocked" many of their loyal subs with
Large price increase.
starZ play ends in 6 months
ill announced/explained spinoff, namechange, account changes?

Sound like 3 ways to panic/confuse/wakeup/scare off both existing and future customers, and they did them all at once

and little explaination directly to average joe customer from NETFLIX (most has been fluff for stockholders and the press about how they are changing to improve their business) though pundits have added plenty of hype on both sides of the story.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to 88615298

Re: Groan......gotta keep track of two accounts, now?

said by 88615298:

Thew streaming never got a price increase. So I'm not sure what you were referring too.

True. Come to think of it, it was $8 for streaming and an additional $2 for DVD. So technically no, streaming was not changed. The only people really affected are those that pay for both streaming and DVD, with a $6 increase.

If I recall, a couple years ago it was just $8 for everything...That's probably what I was thinking.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

Whatever they candy-coat the name

its *still* a 60% price increase!

shimonmor
Premium
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to abadaba

Re: Streaming "future?"

said by abadaba:

...CONSUMERS LOOSE

You are so right. It's always the same unhappy ending.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit
reply to 88615298

Re: What about others

Redbox is already experimenting with raising their prices in some markets.

I guess to please the studios they may charge X for one movie and Y for another as Apple started doing at one point.

Or they may just raise the price for all movies all the time.

cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA
reply to Jason Levine

Re: Call it what ever you want I'll still be a customer

further proof that marketing departments/divisions/groups are 'a little empty upstairs'.

When I came across an article pointing that out, I was instantly wondering why the marketing department didn't dig a little bit more on the name. Now I'm wondering: 1-how is the view count for that particular twitter account and 2- how much money is Netflix going to pay to get the account shutdown or bought?

myerskl

join:2001-05-31
Fairborn, OH

I cancelled my account today

I was going to ride it out but with all the stupid changes heck with them. I don't want two accounts to go back and forth. They picked a bad time of year to do this will all the new TV shows starting.

c0c0c0
c0c0c0 is the color of my soul.

join:2004-12-20
Lexington, OK
reply to 88615298

Re: Also adding video game rentals

I like the DVD by mail over streaming because I like watching bonus features (when the studios don't decide to remove them from rentals), I also like to be able to have a physical disc so I can then make it possible for me to view that movie at a later time at my convience without having to worry if Netflix or the studios has decided that picticular title is now out of rotation. Also there is like 10x the content on DVD than on Streaming. I have a varied taste in movies, I can watch a blockbuster one day and the next watch something from Peter Greenaway or Lars Von Trier. Both directors I have never seen their titles on streaming.
--
»crazycomputing.net
»projectpostcard.org

albie

join:2002-03-17
Decatur, IL

Netflix's website has become a joke

Netflix does not have a clue. They were very successful but they had no clue to why they were successful. Amazon.com is successful because it provides lots of product information as well as customer reviews. Amazon understands that one of the advantages of online retailing is providing information. The current Netflix website is a skeleton to what it once was. I stayed with the streaming and did not subscribe to the DVD's. Netflix earlier this year did much injury to their community by no longer allowing reviewers to be identified. I visited the website today and they have dealt their website a death blow. There is no information. If you click on a director it now only shows what films that director has on instant viewing. I formerly enjoyed Netflix Instant viewing because you could find some good out of the mainstream non-commerical cinema by clicking and researching the wealth of information that could be had on their site. To find any out of the way gems that there may be on Netflix Instant viewing now requires too much work because one has to travel to other movies databases such as Imdb or TCM. The demise of Netflix will not be about the demise of DVD's as a delivery system for content or the problem with content providers, their wounds will be self-inflicted because they never fully understood their success in the first place.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Netflix has succeeded ...

in pissing off most of their subscribers in one fell swoop, and now they apologise and shoot themselves in the foot, AGAIN?

Who they hell is running the show over there, ex-AT&T Death Star marketing droids?

... and so begins the death spiral.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to FFH5

The studios and content owners again show how they have zero clue on how to operate a business. but this should not surprise us. Entertainment has always moved at a glacial pace compared to the technology that can carry it.

However the MAFIAA should know that the more they force reasonably priced content out of the way the more they make it seem less immoral to fly the Jolly Rodger and torrent the content instead.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

BANG!!

That's Netflix shooting themselves in the foot.

Fellas, if it ain't broken don't fix it!!!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Really Stupid move, and they are being savaged on the Blog

Dumb, Dumb, DUMB.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Brilliant idea for Netflix management! Adopt at once!

I have a brilliant idea! Let's split the service apart further! Let's make DVD's separate from Blu-Ray's, and let's split streaming between standard definition and high definition, and then we can charge people 4 separate times and make each site completely stand-alone! Yeah! Brilliant!

See, I'm FULLY qualified to be CEO.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to FFH5

They are being savaged on their blog. Rightly so. Nobody likes this move. Not customers, not investors, not pundits.

If they are smart they will back up on this.

.... I don't think they will.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to albie

Re: Netflix's website has become a joke

said by albie:

Netflix does not have a clue. They were very successful but they had no clue to why they were successful. Amazon.com is successful because it provides lots of product information as well as customer reviews. Amazon understands that one of the advantages of online retailing is providing information. The current Netflix website is a skeleton to what it once was. I stayed with the streaming and did not subscribe to the DVD's. Netflix earlier this year did much injury to their community by no longer allowing reviewers to be identified. I visited the website today and they have dealt their website a death blow. There is no information. If you click on a director it now only shows what films that director has on instant viewing. I formerly enjoyed Netflix Instant viewing because you could find some good out of the mainstream non-commerical cinema by clicking and researching the wealth of information that could be had on their site. To find any out of the way gems that there may be on Netflix Instant viewing now requires too much work because one has to travel to other movies databases such as Imdb or TCM. The demise of Netflix will not be about the demise of DVD's as a delivery system for content or the problem with content providers, their wounds will be self-inflicted because they never fully understood their success in the first place.

Reviewers? No one I know that has Netflix ever messed around with that. There was a reason they got rid of it.