dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-19 08:55:54: Last week Netflix acknowledged that the company's decision to split apart their DVD rental and streaming tiers -- and impose a massive rate hike in the process -- resulted in them losing a million more subscribers than previously predicted. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to SysOp

to SysOp

Re: Call it what ever you want I'll still be a customer

said by SysOp:

I am one of the million who dropped streaming. However, I went from 1 DVD to 2 DVDs by mail.

Goofy name but who cares.

Same here... although I didn't drop streaming, as I had dropped DVDs last year. There aren't that many movies I can't wait to see anymore.

I'll keep Netflix to spite the corporate moguls, if nothing else.

Edit: The "same here" comment refers to the subject that was dropped, about "I'll still be a customer".

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Streetlight

Premium Member

to Streetlight

Re: Netflix betting on future Hollywood may not let them have

said by Streetlight:

Netflix was paying Starz $30 million but Starz wanted $300 million in a new contract. Hey, Starz, which is better, $30 million or $0 million?

Starz won't be getting $0. They already signed a deal with Dish Networks to stream Starz content on a Blockbuster streaming service. Details will come this Friday.
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 11-09-19

Details of how much Starz is getting from Dish/Blockbuster won't be available till Friday, if ever.
abadaba
join:2005-09-25
Mason City, IA

abadaba to SixSpeed

to SixSpeed

Re: Streaming "future?"

Like i said in one of my other posts about NFLX. The studios/Hollywood/Cable Co were waiting for the day they could sock it too Netflix. The first blow was adding caps to users/cord cutters, hoping they would flee away from HD/Online content etc. Then Starz which sent everything spiraling downward from there. Netflix new this was going to be the case with news like this. So before hand, they decided to restructure their pricing to cap revenue losses due to all the bad news they had coming their way. They knew the backlash of the news to come would be horrible for them. So let's jack up the pricing and recoup our losses with the ones that stay. They also knew the bandwidth caps were going to be killer and that the studios/Hollywood/Cable CO was after their throats. I can go on and on about the obvious. Truth is...Netflix will be sold within the next 18 months to one of the studios/Hollywood/Cable CO and then you can guarantee the pricing heads upwards to cable TV prices ALONG WITH YOU STILL BEING CAPPED and paying overage. STUDIOS/HOLLYWOOD/CABLE CO WIN...CONSUMERS LOOSE

joe123Larry
@verizon.net

joe123Larry to TechyDad

Anon

to TechyDad

Re: Netflix not so smart?

Well how many DVDs have they bought from the studios.

Both sides are going to take a hit. Though Netflix looks to be trying to forcing the studios' hands. Well we are not going to be buying anymore DVDs which is a decrease in your pocket of millions, though we have this streaming service over here where you can make up some of that money.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: Also adding video game rentals

Not at all!
I think (as I said in many other threads) that I belive that some price hike was inevitable and justified (I would have structured and announced it somewhat differently) and games should add a another $4-12 depending on available titles (maybe $7.99 per month , they seem to like that #)

I do think the price hike announcement was less than perfect, and was VERY poorly recieved. (I couldn't figure out why people quit (or claimed to) right away, they had already paid for the rest of the month (NF ToS says NO refunds) my price hike still hasn't taken place (next week is the quit/bill date for me, IF I was planning too).
However this, smells like a panic response (Board says ",DO something!) that was ill planned, basicly in the last 2+ months netflix has"shocked" many of their loyal subs with
Large price increase.
starZ play ends in 6 months
ill announced/explained spinoff, namechange, account changes?

Sound like 3 ways to panic/confuse/wakeup/scare off both existing and future customers, and they did them all at once

and little explaination directly to average joe customer from NETFLIX (most has been fluff for stockholders and the press about how they are changing to improve their business) though pundits have added plenty of hype on both sides of the story.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Groan......gotta keep track of two accounts, now?

said by 88615298:

Thew streaming never got a price increase. So I'm not sure what you were referring too.

True. Come to think of it, it was $8 for streaming and an additional $2 for DVD. So technically no, streaming was not changed. The only people really affected are those that pay for both streaming and DVD, with a $6 increase.

If I recall, a couple years ago it was just $8 for everything...That's probably what I was thinking.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Whatever they candy-coat the name

its *still* a 60% price increase!

shimonmor
Premium Member
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

shimonmor to abadaba

Premium Member

to abadaba

Re: Streaming "future?"

said by abadaba:

...CONSUMERS LOOSE

You are so right. It's always the same unhappy ending.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit

Skippy25 to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: What about others

Redbox is already experimenting with raising their prices in some markets.

I guess to please the studios they may charge X for one movie and Y for another as Apple started doing at one point.

Or they may just raise the price for all movies all the time.
cornelius785
join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA

cornelius785 to TechyDad

to TechyDad

Re: Call it what ever you want I'll still be a customer

further proof that marketing departments/divisions/groups are 'a little empty upstairs'.

When I came across an article pointing that out, I was instantly wondering why the marketing department didn't dig a little bit more on the name. Now I'm wondering: 1-how is the view count for that particular twitter account and 2- how much money is Netflix going to pay to get the account shutdown or bought?
myerskl
join:2001-05-31
Fairborn, OH

myerskl

I cancelled my account today

I was going to ride it out but with all the stupid changes heck with them. I don't want two accounts to go back and forth. They picked a bad time of year to do this will all the new TV shows starting.

c0c0c02
c0c0c0 is the color of my soul.
join:2004-12-20
Lexington, OK

c0c0c02 to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Also adding video game rentals

I like the DVD by mail over streaming because I like watching bonus features (when the studios don't decide to remove them from rentals), I also like to be able to have a physical disc so I can then make it possible for me to view that movie at a later time at my convience without having to worry if Netflix or the studios has decided that picticular title is now out of rotation. Also there is like 10x the content on DVD than on Streaming. I have a varied taste in movies, I can watch a blockbuster one day and the next watch something from Peter Greenaway or Lars Von Trier. Both directors I have never seen their titles on streaming.
albie
join:2002-03-17
Decatur, IL

albie

Netflix's website has become a joke

Netflix does not have a clue. They were very successful but they had no clue to why they were successful. Amazon.com is successful because it provides lots of product information as well as customer reviews. Amazon understands that one of the advantages of online retailing is providing information. The current Netflix website is a skeleton to what it once was. I stayed with the streaming and did not subscribe to the DVD's. Netflix earlier this year did much injury to their community by no longer allowing reviewers to be identified. I visited the website today and they have dealt their website a death blow. There is no information. If you click on a director it now only shows what films that director has on instant viewing. I formerly enjoyed Netflix Instant viewing because you could find some good out of the mainstream non-commerical cinema by clicking and researching the wealth of information that could be had on their site. To find any out of the way gems that there may be on Netflix Instant viewing now requires too much work because one has to travel to other movies databases such as Imdb or TCM. The demise of Netflix will not be about the demise of DVD's as a delivery system for content or the problem with content providers, their wounds will be self-inflicted because they never fully understood their success in the first place.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Netflix has succeeded ...

in pissing off most of their subscribers in one fell swoop, and now they apologise and shoot themselves in the foot, AGAIN?

Who they hell is running the show over there, ex-AT&T Death Star marketing droids?

... and so begins the death spiral.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Netflix betting on future Hollywood may not let them have

The studios and content owners again show how they have zero clue on how to operate a business. but this should not surprise us. Entertainment has always moved at a glacial pace compared to the technology that can carry it.

However the MAFIAA should know that the more they force reasonably priced content out of the way the more they make it seem less immoral to fly the Jolly Rodger and torrent the content instead.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

BANG!!

That's Netflix shooting themselves in the foot.

Fellas, if it ain't broken don't fix it!!!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Really Stupid move, and they are being savaged on the Blog

Dumb, Dumb, DUMB.
KrK

KrK

Premium Member

Brilliant idea for Netflix management! Adopt at once!

I have a brilliant idea! Let's split the service apart further! Let's make DVD's separate from Blu-Ray's, and let's split streaming between standard definition and high definition, and then we can charge people 4 separate times and make each site completely stand-alone! Yeah! Brilliant!

See, I'm FULLY qualified to be CEO.
KrK

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

They are being savaged on their blog. Rightly so. Nobody likes this move. Not customers, not investors, not pundits.

If they are smart they will back up on this.

.... I don't think they will.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to albie

Premium Member

to albie

Re: Netflix's website has become a joke

said by albie:

Netflix does not have a clue. They were very successful but they had no clue to why they were successful. Amazon.com is successful because it provides lots of product information as well as customer reviews. Amazon understands that one of the advantages of online retailing is providing information. The current Netflix website is a skeleton to what it once was. I stayed with the streaming and did not subscribe to the DVD's. Netflix earlier this year did much injury to their community by no longer allowing reviewers to be identified. I visited the website today and they have dealt their website a death blow. There is no information. If you click on a director it now only shows what films that director has on instant viewing. I formerly enjoyed Netflix Instant viewing because you could find some good out of the mainstream non-commerical cinema by clicking and researching the wealth of information that could be had on their site. To find any out of the way gems that there may be on Netflix Instant viewing now requires too much work because one has to travel to other movies databases such as Imdb or TCM. The demise of Netflix will not be about the demise of DVD's as a delivery system for content or the problem with content providers, their wounds will be self-inflicted because they never fully understood their success in the first place.

Reviewers? No one I know that has Netflix ever messed around with that. There was a reason they got rid of it.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to jims2321

Premium Member

to jims2321

I am going to laugh hard when the studios get their wish of a world without Netflix.

and then suddenly see their piracy numbers skyrocket. of course they will blame the pirates and not their own blundering stupidity of pushing licensing costs beyond greedy when working with Netflix.

TheFuture
@spcsdns.net

TheFuture

Anon

Netflix streaming will become like Amazon On Demand

What is the future of Netflix streaming? The studios will never let Netflix have recent content and movie releases and offer that for a low monthly unlimited use fee. Never! Netflix will have to move to a pay per view to be able to offer recent material. Just like Vudu or Amazon On Demand does. I'm guessing Netflix will offer a basic streaming service for $8 or so a month for the older content (like the free stuff included with Amazon Prime) and for any new TV episodes or new recent movie releases will be a pay per view pricing model. They will have to do it this way, because the studios will not allow Netflix to offer the content any other way. So the future of Netflix will be a bare bones streaming service for $8+ a month and then you can use pay per view for recent content. That's Netflix's future because the control is in the studios hands. With the Netflix DVD mail service, you could at least get new releases via DVD without have to pay per view costs. But since Netflix wants only streaming for the future and shed the dvd-by-mail service , then pay per view is the only option for new content they'll be able to provide. The studios will not have it any other way. So expect a pricing structure very similar to Amazon On Demand for Netflix's future.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

Re: Awesome

I mean... Qwikster?

Netflix and Mailflix makes so much more sense.

...even Netflix Instant and Netflix?... the we could watch the NI.

EnasYorl
Thieves World
join:2001-12-02
West

EnasYorl

Cancelled DVD/Blu-Ray

Cancelled my Qwikster and told them I don't want two sites etc. I liked it because it was one stop shopping.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10

Premium Member

???

How does splitting the company address the price increase issue? The CEO apologies and then spits the company and the customer that had both streaming and DVD are still paying the same price increase. All he did was make the customer more upset by now having them create 2 accounts on 2 web sites and have 2 separate bills.

I don't get it?

Well I only have the streaming anyway. Still best a great deal at $7.99.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

They made the mistake of not announcing both things together. the price increase and splitting up the disc and streaming should have been announced together. It was no secret they wanted to have separate businesses. At the end of Q2 when they talked about the price increase they also talked about how Discs and streaming would be twe separate entities so they could finally breakout the costs and profits for each division. But they made no mention of having two separte websites. Which is what I do not like. It would be fine if they were going to still allow you to easily deal with both queues together like you can now. But that will not be the case.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: New Logo

Maybe you have seen it here before:
»theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix

SixSpeed
join:2001-12-24
USA

SixSpeed to jims2321

to jims2321

The issue here is the Netflix and the studios seem to be equally cocky and greedy. A perfect match.

I can understand trying to split the DVD business but the did is wrong, VERY wrong.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to ksharp250

Premium Member

to ksharp250

Re: Im actually ok with it

never got an email from Netflix..

Speaking of this so what happens if someone stills has streaming AND DVD?

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK

Premium Member

A lot of people don't seem to get it....

But this guy does: Netflix Spinoff Isn't About DVD Success

A must-read.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next