spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-26 09:05:08: 400,000 people severed their cable TV connection during the second quarter of this year, more than in any other time in history. Still, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes proclaimed last week at an investor conference that cord cutting "hasn't arrived yet. ..

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Potential Grain of Truth

It could be that Time Warner is cutting deals with cord cutters and lowering rates for those who ask which is keeping them from leaving.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

let's get that new logo on the TWC trucks

here's the new TWC logo:

jbwhite99

join:2005-03-22
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

Re: Potential Grain of Truth

I cut the cord Labor Day weekend (Digital Cable here in NC is $81 plus tax - just 1 regular box - no DVR), and TWC just came later that week and cut my service off. I still have internet, but they haven't called me to make an offer yet.

Hey TWC, if you want me back in November, have Monty Hall call me. But I am not paying $81 per month, and I don't want your phone service.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

Naturally

Naturally, he's going to say this. Look at where he was speaking. You don't tell investors and potential investors that your company has a problem. He wants their money, so he's going to paint as rosy a picture as he can.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
reply to jbwhite99

No doubt - Cox still tries to push the phone too... I'm. Not. Interested. Stop. Sending. Spam!

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to jbwhite99
I have only Internet with TW and I get the occasional offer in the mail from TW. Last i think was Digital Cable+HD DVR box for $55/month or something like that but I had to prove that I was coming from another cable provider to get that offer. I guess they are oblivious that I cut-the-cord and assume I have some cable tv service with someone.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to amungus
said by amungus:

I'm. Not. Interested. Stop. Sending. Spam!

+0.5

I don't mind the SPAM or even the snail mail; it's the telemarketing phone calls that I hate!

No I will not buy your overpriced cable or phone service so STOP CALLING!!!

/M

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by mackey:

said by amungus:

I'm. Not. Interested. Stop. Sending. Spam!

+0.5

I don't mind the SPAM or even the snail mail; it's the telemarketing phone calls that I hate!

No I will not buy your overpriced cable or phone service so STOP CALLING!!!

/M

Tell them to remove you from their marketing calls. I got those too from TWC. I had to get a supervisor/manager.
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to tmc8080

Re: let's get that new logo on the TWC trucks

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head! Yes its the state of the economy... and it's people starting with the most over-priced service that delivers the least. That is the service they are dropping.

Cable companies are like the record industry was (and to a lesser extent, still is)... they won't see the problem until it's too late for them.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Wheres the data

How many of the 400,000 are Time Warner customers. It may be much ado about nothing because cord cutters are being offset by new customers via relocations and those who are jumping from dish

Vumes

join:2009-01-04
Beaverton, OR

Cord Cutter Here

I am a cord cutter. I cut the cord this year when Frontier raised my TV prices by 40%. I can easily afford it, but I can't justify that much money to watch television. Instead, I watch the local channels with my HD antenna, and watch other TV shows via Netflix or the broadcasters website. And with all the other options becoming available lately, it gets even better.

NYC Girl
Premium
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY
reply to pnh102

Yes cable is getting very expensive these days!! I am with optimum and got rid of the phone and most of my premium services. All have right now is internet and family cable w o the extra io channels. Oh yes and DVR as I like fast forwarding and rewinding all over the place. My only cable luxury I have left. I flipped out when I saw the 212.00+ cable bill when all my promotional pricing expired. Boost + went up because I removed the voice service but I got an 20 mbps out of the deal or else I would have cancelled the service. You need good Internet service for steaming movies and such. Poor cable cos they are beginning to feel some of the pain of the POTS telcos. He he he...

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

Young people

Most young people I know have no need to cut the cord, we've simply never connected it in the first place (except to get cable internet).

Cord cutting is just getting started, what has grown from a trickle into a stream will turn into a torrent as the younger demographics replace the old.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Every young person I know has digital cable, TWC, Cablevision, FiOS. 90% of the people that are supposedly cutting the cord are on this site... and in this thread. sigh.

I dont know what the cable co cable losses are, but the vast majority of them are going to telco TV. A few computer geeks arent having any major impacts.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
reply to Vumes

Re: Cord Cutter Here

Do you ride your bicycle to work ?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Young people

OK to be fair I work with engineers designing electronics, not exactly your "point the remote at the box and if it doesn't work you're screwed" crowd.

AC

@rr.com

Interesting...

Interesting topic.. Seeing as the TWC Cincinnati guy just showed up at my house yesterday to put a line filter on so I only get Internet now.

-- Cut the cable TV cord yesterday!

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Naturally

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Naturally, he's going to say this. Look at where he was speaking. You don't tell investors and potential investors that your company has a problem. He wants their money, so he's going to paint as rosy a picture as he can.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

If investors are that stupid... oh nevermind..
anybody want to buy a Tower Records store or the Brooklyn Bridge?