dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-27 18:45:02: We've often discussed how with the exception of several major cities like New York, Washington DC and Philadephia (and any other areas where pre-existing franchise obligations are being finished), Verizon's FiOS expansion is essentially over. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

really?

Sure, we all want fiber and we want it now...

But... really?

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

2 recommendations

Thaler

Premium Member

I Wasn't Aware...

...that Buffalo, New York was a race. Good to know!
en103
join:2011-05-02

1 recommendation

en103

Population gap/density ?

They're performing a profit margin based on city at a large basis vs. suburb / urban. As far as these cities go - its all over the map.

The main thing that I see in NYC and Philadelphia is population (direct in the city limit) in the +1 million mark.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

1 recommendation

mod_wastrel

I think it's been fairly well proven

that the only color Verizon pays any attention to is 'green'... and lots of it--the sooner the better; and if it ain't soon enough, well... you're stuck where you are with what you've got.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Change the state laws to allow public utility fiber builds.

Change federal, state, and local laws that make it very difficult for public utilities or municipalities to do their own FTTH builds. Then Buffalo and other cities could build their own networks. The private sector is concerned only with short term profits. The public sector needs to be free to take care of the entire public's basic infrastructure needs.

garynyny
@speakeasy.net

garynyny

Anon

FIOS is in Buffalo

FIOS is not deployed EVERYWHERE in Buffalo but it is there. It is in my Sister's neighborhood. I think the speed of the deployment has slowed but I was there last week asking if they were continuing deployment and he said that he saw Verizon still stringing fiber on the poles.
mathfaster
join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

mathfaster

HOA's are discriminated against as well

Verizon would only install FIOS in our HOA IF the HOA would have everyone sign up for FIOS and the HOA did the billing. Fat chance of that ever happening. FIOS is elsewhere in the suburb I live in.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

rchandra to garynyny

Premium Member

to garynyny

Re: FIOS is in Buffalo

Really? I hadn't heard of any at all. Where?

But it's certainly here in my part of Cheektowaga. But it's Inet and phone only; no TV, at least not yet.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

2 edits

2 recommendations

Oh_No

Racism??? LOL

Only a retard would call it racism.
Economic discrimination? Of course there is economic discrimination.

Verizon is going to pick the most profitable market for them.
High population, more current internet customers, higher incomes (more customer potential), current area has a good on time payment rate, etc.

It is only coincidence that lower profitable areas have a higher black population. Being black does not make you less profitable and it is not verizons fault that coincidently the lower profit areas have a higher black (or whatever group) population.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Maybe if there was some kickback...

You know, like the one Rhode Island did. They gave Verizon what they wanted several years ago (State-wide franchise, etc). So in turn, Verizon has installed FiOS in pretty much all of Rhode Island as well as putting the FiOS call center in Providence, Rhode Island. Massachusetts was very upset at this because Verizon played Rhode Island and Massachusetts against each other for the call center.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to mathfaster

to mathfaster

Re: HOA's are discriminated against as well

said by mathfaster:

Verizon would only install FIOS in our HOA IF the HOA would have everyone sign up for FIOS and the HOA did the billing. Fat chance of that ever happening. FIOS is elsewhere in the suburb I live in.

That is what you get for being in an HOA.
Many HOAs resell cable/internet so they can make money off the top. They will force all residents to pay for the cable/internet in their HOA fees every month. This way they get one large commercial account for the whole HOA and pocket the difference of the discount.

I can tell you that you have HOA rules governing that everyone must sign up to get Verizon. Those are not Verizons rules, they would gladly move in it weren't for your crappy HOA trying to make money off the top.

Dont let your HOA lie to you and blame verizon.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No

Re: Racism??? LOL

said by Oh_No:

Only a retard would call it racism.
Economic discrimination? Of course there is economic discrimination.

The cry of racism is just a way for an unhappy group to leverage press coverage and try to overturn a decision they don't like by appealing to current anti-discrimination laws. But as you say, this is economic redlining and nothing else.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

A semi-easy solution: move

I did. I used to live on the border of Buffalo and West Seneca...just inside Buffalo. When I decided to pull the trigger on buying real estate, the top tie breaker was, FiOS available immediately? And I moved to where it was immediately available. Besides, you'd do very well moving anyway. My car insurance went down (I think) $75/yr., no more line item garbage pickup tax...probably other goodies I can't recall at the moment, but those are the two off the top of my head. I also hear West Seneca is nice, and they have oodles of FiOS.

I feel sorry in that respect for people who took jobs where Buffalo residency is a job requirement. Sorry, but sucks to be you.

If it weren't so far away, I'd heavily consider moving to KC so I can feel some of that Gbps love. What the heck...pretty much can't hurt, as it's bound to have more tech jobs available than around here.

Although I hated it where I was w/r/t (lack of good) Internet connectivity (wished they'd have offered FiOS), I don't fault them at all for choosing the areas where they'll recoup their investments faster (i.e., areas where generally higher income people live, therefore higher subscription percentage). I'm really miffed at people who think they're some sort of charity, that they ought to build out everywhere, just because they can (remember, can != should).

As for "racist"...I was not aware that the black folks (or anyone else for that matter) on my street were refused service. Just sayin'...
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman

Re: Change the state laws to allow public utility fiber builds.

said by davidhoffman:

Then Buffalo and other cities could build their own networks.

With what money? They can't even keep the potholes patched in Buffalo or control their crime problem. Where do you suppose the money for a city wide fiber build is going to come from?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr to Harddrive

MVM

to Harddrive

Re: Maybe if there was some kickback...

said by Harddrive:

(State-wide franchise, etc). So in turn, Verizon has installed FiOS in pretty much all of Rhode Island as well as putting the FiOS call center in Providence, Rhode Island.

State-wide franchise wasn't too difficult to get through. Only 38 municipal entities to make promises to.

State-wide installed base, though. Definitely not. Fiber is installed in denser areas, not so much in rural areas. South County is still waiting. Plus, I drive by quite a few intersections in my area where the orange duct is buried and comes up near overhead fiber. But they're not hooked up. I've been connected for 5 years. And these are not gated communities or HOAs.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

2 recommendations

davidhoffman to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks

I advocate mainly for electric company FTTH builds like EPB Fiber »epbfi.com/ in Chattanooga, TN, LUS Fiber »lusfiber.com/ in Lafayette, LA, Greelight »www.greenlightnc.com/ in Wilson, NC, and CDE Lightband »www.clarksvillede.com/Hi ··· rnet.asp in Clarksville, TN. They can use electric utility rights of way to go FTTH by basing the fiber on smart grid present and future uses.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to birdfeedr

Premium Member

to birdfeedr

Re: Maybe if there was some kickback...

I was a member of IBEW 2323 when I worked for Avaya. It was the same Union that Verizon techs worked for. The stories I heard... Nothing illegal but the Union sure bends for whatever way helps them the most.
Verizon pretty much wired up the State where they want it. So what do they do with all the techs they hired to wire up the State? Can you say lay-off?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to mathfaster

Premium Member

to mathfaster

A) That should be illegal to bundle and limit consumer choice, but also, the HOA is so stupid. Verizon FIOS is far superior to cable.
BiggA

1 recommendation

BiggA

Premium Member

Ridiculous

Verizon is just installing where it will make money. Poor areas that happen to be mostly black/latino likely won't subscribe to FIOS at as great a rate as richer, whiter suburbs. It has nothing to do with race per se, it's all about economics.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

hahaha.
They may not have it in San Francisco, or Pleasanton, or the whole Bay Area, but forgetting Buffalo? THE HORROR
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Pleasanton ? Might as well be building it out in Brentwood, CA.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Tanks for nuttin, Verizon!

Verizon was given a statewide FiOS franchise in New Jersey yet many areas were untouched.

In Marlboro (in Monmouth County) a prosperous community, half of the township was wired for FiOS and the other half not....

In this case, I don't think that there was any racism, as there are relatively few minorities in any event. But newer homes (hence more expensive homes) seemed to be favored.

I have to give thanks to Cablevision (Optimum) for providing Internet service to ALL its service area! Otherwise I would not be here....

------------------------------------------

It seems horribly inefficient for Verizon to send mailers to every house (including mine) advertising a FiOS service that is NOT available. Likewise for massive TV advertising budgets when half the viewers can't get FiOS!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to rchandra

MVM

to rchandra

Re: FIOS is in Buffalo

Come out my way and Verizon is stringing some cabling up on the poles, too. It's been taking it's time for sure, but it is coming from the looks of things.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus

Re: really?

Play the race card. It always gets attention.

Mostly the wrong kind, however.... rightly so.
KrK

KrK

Premium Member

Verizon is RACIST against...

Oklahoma! Where's our FIOS!

Don't bypass Oklahoma on racial grounds!!!

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman

Contrary to the City of Chattanooga's PR department EPB and VW are not the saviors of Chattanooga. They have spent 300+ million dollars on trying to put large and small businesses out of businesses.

Muni projects should be treated just like public roads. ANYONE who wants to buy access to the network should be allowed to do so. There are several small providers in Chattanooga that have made attempts to buy retail services from EPB and they have flat out refused to sell them service because they offer similar services to EPB.

I have a HUGE problem with any public agency that is out to destroy private businesses. Fair and friendly competition is fine but underhanded back room deals are not.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Re: really?

I am OUT-RAGED!

/Al Sharpton off
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to mathfaster

Premium Member

to mathfaster

No problem with my HOA here. VZ FiOS has been treating me well for a year now.
tom thomas
join:2010-11-04

tom thomas

wonder if they target lighter users oNLY?

one thing that would be very interesting is if they intentionally do not offer service to people they believe would quickly overwhelm the network because they are known as heavy video streamers, etc.

it would actually make business sense for Verizon to target people willing to pay extra for higher speeds but unlikely to actually use that speed to increase their total traffic.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

1 recommendation

Phil

Premium Member

3-0!

What more do you want Verizon!?!
page: 1 · 2 · next