dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-28 14:30:11: The other day we reported that Earthlink appeared to have joined a long list of ISPs using new technology that allows them to net search referral fees for both the hardware vendor and ISPs -- by sniffing and modifying user search traffic. ..

pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

I enabled a web feature on my browser ...

Recently I enabled a web feature on my browser, it shows where people in my home (or things as many devices don't necessarily need people to go places).

One feature was to record the search history. It lets me see the last 500 or so searches that were done.

If my home router can do this, I can only imagine what the routers at large ISP's can do.

BigStew
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
Atlanta, GA

BigStew

Premium Member

Keep it up Karl!

Bringing these hidden issues to the forefront makes these ISPs put their shady tactics back in closet and then they try to claim they never did anything like this in the first place.

Yeah baby!

Exposure is the only way to TRY and keep 'em honest.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Redirecting searches? Yuck.

I can't figure out why people still use Earthlink. Seems like you get none of the good, customer oriented service that you should get by choosing a third party ISP. I remember when they were a local ISP in Glendale, CA. Now they're like a zombie that won't die!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Using https whenever possible kills these search hijackings

Almost every site I go to on a daily basis has support for encrypted links, except for my.yahoo.com. And when you use that type of connection they can't redirect you based on search terms because those terms are encrypted. So when I do google searches they can't see my search terms so they can't hijack me.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

You beat me to it. There's a reason why Google rolled out Google SSL. I can't think of any compelling reason NOT to use it, even if your ISP is on the up and up.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Crookshanks:

You beat me to it. There's a reason why Google rolled out Google SSL. I can't think of any compelling reason NOT to use it, even if your ISP is on the up and up.

And I use an add-on to Firefox that makes it easier to use HTTPS on many, many web sites automatically.
»www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt

More screwing of the consumers by ISP's.

I wonder what would happen if your telephone company pulled the same crap as these abusive ISP's. What would happen if they were caught rerouting a call you placed to Hertz, to Expedia, and had a CSR at Expedia that represented that they worked for Hertz. How long would it take for the Justice Department to file a lawsuit against a telephone company that pulled that crap. Fact is that many ISP's are amoral and have no sense of decency.
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

We're innocent ! We didn't do anything!

But we're going to stop doing what we weren't doing.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to djrobx

to djrobx

Re: Redirecting searches? Yuck.

Where I am Earthlink is $13 cheaper than Roadrunner and the CSRs are usually better than TWC's (though you need to talk to TWC to get anything done).
cewagy
join:2004-02-03
Santa Barbara, CA

cewagy

How can we tell?

Is there an easy way to see if my ISP is tinkering with my search traffic?

Does it only happen if I use the ISP's DNS service?
nweaver
join:2010-01-13
Napa, CA

nweaver

a: This is done using DNS. Using a third party DNS service like Google Public DNS prevents this from happening.

b: Netalyzr ( »netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ ) automatically detects this behavior.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

TIL

I had to read this only because I had no idea Earthlink still existed ...

dlathem
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11
Birmingham, AL

dlathem to nweaver

Premium Member

to nweaver

Re: How can we tell?

Why does that netalyzr link always crash when I try to go to it? The page will show for a few seconds and then IE closes and says the page was a problem. I have never seen IE do this on any web page. Either it gives me a 404 error or it churns and does not load. I am on Earthlink but I have been an OpenDNS user for some time.
nweaver
join:2010-01-13
Napa, CA

nweaver

Its probably triggering some obscure IE bug on your system.

You could try Firefox.

If you are using OpenDNS, this wasn't a problem because it was a problem with Earthlink's DNS servers.

lhvetinari
yaW gnorW
join:2008-09-26
Kenosha/Chgo

lhvetinari to not quite right

to not quite right

Re: TIL

Right? Lol, same here. Even if I had earthlink it wouldn't matter though, as the 2nd thing I do after setting up a new internet connection is set the DNS servers to OpenDNS.