dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-09-30 10:12:29: Back in March Suddenlink gave users a new usage meter in order to help better "educate" users about their bandwidth consumption. ..

prev · 1 · 2
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Doesnt seem bad at all to me.

Numbers look reasonable to me.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

In the lack of a competitive enviornment...

There is nothing to constrain companies from abusing market position on heavily demanded services such as high speed internet.

The only thing that would prevent this in a non-competitive market would be regulation, and we all know that's not going to happen.... so Caps, overages, by-the-byte billing, etc etc are what we all can expect in the future.

I used to think that a possible counter would be expensive class action lawsuit losses that would punish greedy ISP's with large judgement expenses (Consumers damaged by paying for Data they did not want, need, request, but are forced to pay for anyway, virtually a slam dunk win.)

However since the Supreme Court threw us under the bus on that one too and now your AUP/TOS can remove your legal rights to work as a class, I really don't see anything to prevent the coming destruction of the Internet future.

Basically; Little competition; No regulatory framework, high demand (approaching utility like status, almost required) means we're all going to get overcharged and future services (such as third party IP content businesses via Internet) will be curtailed or severely restricted.
AricBrown
join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX

AricBrown

State regulators

I say we all need to complain to our local state regulatory commissions. If they want to charge by the byte then we all have the legal right to make them prove what they say is what we use. ATT can't do it so I think they would have a hard time too.
skitz0ut
join:2003-09-12
Abilene, TX

skitz0ut

Re: State regulators

OK, this is bad. I stream HD videos and play online games all the time. I live in San Angelo, and have the 20/2 MB plan. I use a lot more then 250gb a month. I pay over $70 a month for service, there is no way, paying that much, that i should have a cap. I will be switching to another provider if that takes effect. It makes me sad, because this is the best internet i have had yet. Great speeds, great performance, hardly down time.

This is with the kids streaming a HD movie off of netflix.
AricBrown
join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX

AricBrown

Re: State regulators

said by skitz0ut:

OK, this is bad. I stream HD videos and play online games all the time. I live in San Angelo, and have the 20/2 MB plan. I use a lot more then 250gb a month. I pay over $70 a month for service, there is no way, paying that much, that i should have a cap. I will be switching to another provider if that takes effect. It makes me sad, because this is the best internet i have had yet. Great speeds, great performance, hardly down time.

[att=1]

This is with the kids streaming a HD movie off of netflix.

I know what you mean I told my son he might loose Netflix and he almost cried... My daughter asked if streaming music counts and I said yep.. She said that's stupid. I am the biggest user of bandwidth but still I seem to hit about 275 to 300 a month. Hell I haven't done anything but web browse today. My daughter watched 2 episodes on MTV.COM (why she would watch that crap is beyond me) and my son watch a tv show on netflix and some you tube and it was almost 10gigs

What sucks is I just came here from ATT because of their caps... bastards
thecp
join:2004-07-15
Sacramento, CA

thecp

The way they do the caps are utter BS.

Like AT*T and comcast, the caps are designed to rope in as many subscribers in the name of "heavy usage". Except it's not based off your average use but your "unpredictable" usage.

My DSL cap is 150 Gigs, my average usage is probably 1/3 of that, but during the summer we'll have family movie weekends where we'll stream 3 or 4 HD movies over the weekend that'll use up 20~30 gigs right there each week, add on our normal usage and we'll just hit around 150~200 gigs a month. During the rest of the year we use less than 30 gigs a month, and that's for a family of four.

On the other hand someone who consistently uses and averages 149 GB a month will fly under the radar while we get charged overages every single summer even if our average usage is a small fraction of that. These companies can take their "enhancing the user experience" and shove that motto up their collective asses.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

canada

has horrible caps on most major wireline hsi connections. Look at Rogers or Bell!
prev · 1 · 2