spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-10-04 15:46:57: Apple today talked up the iCloud and iOS 5 -- both of which will launch October 12. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

del ftl

@comcast.net

That was completely underwhelming

Waiting that long for the 4s. Not that impressed. :-(

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Re: That was completely underwhelming

What I don't get is why so many people, including Apple, refer to LTE networks being "unbuilt" or "small". Only AT&T's LTE network is small and unbuilt. Ans Sprint hasn't even started theirs. Verizon has a very large and strong LTE footprint. And it is getting bigger every month. Sure, it's not quite the coverage area as their 3G, but it still covers a large percentage of the population. If it were imperative to have the network build out done before releasing a device to utilize it then we wouldn't have several LTE phones on Verizon right now.

I suspect the main reason Apple didn't put LTE in the iPhone yet is two-fold. 1) They can't get the battery life under control yet with an LTE radio. This is a problem with all LTE devices but it is getting better. But Android device manufacturers haven't seen this as a reason to not deploy. And 2) AT&T would likely lose a substantial customer base to Verizon because AT&T's LTE network is still in it's infancy.

There is likely a third reason also. They will sell a shit load of this version of iPhone and then in 6 months they will be able to release the LTE version and sell a shit load more, many to the same sheeple.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1

There is no LTE voice standard, so LTE is just a data service now. In addition, no carrier wants to be unique in the GPPP v8. So until a voice standard is agreed upon, its going to stay in the air.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
To be fair though, the bar for battery life expectancy is MUCH lower on Android, than for iPhone. In fact, that's one of the things iPhone users love to wave in my face is how "awesome" their battery life is...lol.
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net
nnaarrnn

join:2004-09-30
Nitro, WV

yeah, then I show them my spare battery that I only use after my extended battery is depleted.
rifleman69

join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

said by nnaarrnn:

yeah, then I show them my spare battery that I only use after my extended battery is depleted.

Spare batteries, what is this, a laptop now?
nnaarrnn

Nitro, WV

said by rifleman69 See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

Might as well be with the larger screen. (HTC EVO btw)

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY
said by rifleman69:

said by nnaarrnn:

Definitely not a MacBook Air.
Couch Potato
What?
Premium
join:2004-08-29
Troutman, NC
This may be what makes me switch back to the iPhone. I used to have the iPhone 4 and only had to charge it every other day and it was usually around 30% when I plugged it in. I have the HTC Inspire 4G right now and it's not making it through 1 day of use and it's not even LTE.
--
My posts are of my own opinion, not my employer's.
ditka_b
Premium
join:2001-10-05
Barrington, IL
Verizon's LTE network isn't strong yet either and they know it. A multitude of cities doesn't encompass what apples looking for in 4G.
Would you buy a 4G phone and "live" with 3G service? When 4G gets to 3G's foot print you'll see another underwhelming Iphone with LTE.

del ftl

@comcast.net

They released their 3g iphone on ATT when ATT's 3G network was the size of vzw's current LTE network.

The reason the iphone doesn't have LTE is because what an apple product looks like is FAR FAR FAR more important than what it actually does. If they were worried about battery life, they could have made it a few millimeters thicker, or engineered a phone that could take a larger battery, and give users the option to enable or disable it, etc.. They didn't because what the phone looks like is more important.

How much thicker would it be to take a regular sim card? I mean seriously? These are the kind of insane tradeoffs you get with apple.
davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

Absolutely correct. There are lousy electrical engineering tradeoffs for all Apple battery using products. Looks come first, electrical functioning, reliability, and safety are secondary.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Agreed ... BUT ... all business is show business.

I love the design of many new American cars even though I still have reservations about quality. I know this is shallow but it's similar with people. Bald/balding men are judged less trustworthy than those with hair.
nnaarrnn

Nitro, WV

said by rradina:

Bald/balding men are judged less trustworthy than those with hair.

And I thought I was the only person who didn't trust bald people.

thegeek
Premium
right here
said by ditka_b:

Verizon's LTE network isn't strong yet either and they know it. A multitude of cities doesn't encompass what apples looking for in 4G.
Would you buy a 4G phone and "live" with 3G service? When 4G gets to 3G's foot print you'll see another underwhelming Iphone with LTE.

I have 2 LTE devices in my family and we don't live in an LTE area. I'm not going to limit my selection of devices simply because I can't get LTE at home.

The big deference is that an Android user with an LTE phone in a 3G only area knows that they are not getting LTE speeds. An iOS user isn't smart enough to understand that fact. Proof is in the millions of iPhone 3G users who think that they get 3G service everywhere just because 3G is in the name of the device when in fact AT&T's 3G footprint is rather small.
nnaarrnn

Nitro, WV

or the fact that I keep running into clients who have no idea that an iPhone can be plugged into a computer.

del ftl

@comcast.net
I don't think you'll see a new iPhone until next summer/fall.

Sleepy

@pagenet.com

Move on...nothing here to see

Yawn
xenophon

join:2007-09-17

Re: Move on...nothing here to see

And the rumor of Sprint paying $20B to get iPhone is likely way false too...
»blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdail···=BOLBlog

thegeek
Premium
right here

1 recommendation

So basically still inferior to the best Android devices.

And start Apple vs Google fanboy war....

....now!

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

Re: So basically still inferior to the best Android devices.

said by thegeek:

....now!

No kidding. Lol this is big news but android comes on devices like or better than this which seem like on a weekly basis and hardly have any hype. I don't get apple hysteria to be honest.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

thegeek
Premium
right here

In my opinion Apple needs to stick to creating an OS and forget the hardware. They don't need to open up iOS, just license it to other device manufacturers. As an Android user it is a bit hard to admit, but Apple makes a great OS. I still like Android better. Apple just can't compete with hardware anymore though. I was really hoping for mind blowing hardware specs because that would only serve to drive further innovation and development for Android hardware. Instead, Android hardware developers don't really have a reason to go to great lengths now because what's out there now is already better. Thankfully, with multiple Android hardware manufacturers, there is a level of competition between them to drive it forward some.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Here's the issue: Apple is able to make its products work really, really well because they control every aspect of the device, from the CPU to the screen to the camera to the OS. If Apple allowed iOS on other devices what you'd get would be a subpar bunch of products, rather than one good one.

This is from a Galaxy S (Epic 4G) user who very likely won't be getting the iPhone 4S because it doesn't have LTE. If I have an iPhone it'll be mine for long enough that if it's 3G-only I'd be stuck with obsolete technology (as opposed to still-undeployed technology, ahem WiMAX) halfway into the phone's life cycle. Which doesn't strike me as particularly palatable. Heck, the iPhone doesn't even have true HSPA+...14.4 Mbps is still standard (albeit fast) HSPA.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
said by thegeek:

Apple just can't compete with hardware anymore though.

Apple controls the whole environment; hardware, software, and content (to a degree). Apple is about building all-inclusive consumer oriented products to lock consumers into its ecosystem. It doesn't necessarily need to be the best, fastest, or shiniest. As long as it continues marketing the hell out of its products and grows its customer base, Apple will continue to do very well.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
said by thegeek:

In my opinion Apple needs to stick to creating an OS and forget the hardware. They don't need to open up iOS, just license it to other device manufacturers. As an Android user it is a bit hard to admit, but Apple makes a great OS. I still like Android better. Apple just can't compete with hardware anymore though. I was really hoping for mind blowing hardware specs because that would only serve to drive further innovation and development for Android hardware. Instead, Android hardware developers don't really have a reason to go to great lengths now because what's out there now is already better. Thankfully, with multiple Android hardware manufacturers, there is a level of competition between them to drive it forward some.

people like you have been saying that for years. the web is littered with a littany of anti-apple commenters who thought that THEY knew what was right for apple.

it comes down to this: in the last 10 years which one of the following companies is doing BETTER now than it was in 2001?

1. Apple
2. Microsoft
3. HP
4. IBM
5. Dell
6. RIM
7. Nokia
8. Sun
9. AOL
10. Palm
11. Yahoo
12. Google
13. Pets.com
14. Compaq

(in case you couldn't figure it out the answers are 1 and 12)
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

1 recommendation

LOL @ Pets.com
en103

join:2011-05-02

IBM is doiing well »finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM+Bas···art&t=my

HP nope
Palm (bust = gone to HP)
Compaq (part of HP)

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Click for full size
said by en103:

IBM is doiing well »finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM+Bas···art&t=my

HP nope
Palm (bust = gone to HP)
Compaq (part of HP)

IBM looks pretty flat to me and it doesnt hold a candle to AAPL.

Oh, FYI that is a logarithmic scale
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
I thought Microsoft set record revenue and profits.

For the year as a whole, revenue was $69.94 billion, up 12 percent on 2010, with operating income and net income of $27.16 billion and $23.15 billion, representing growth of 13 percent and 23 percent respectively. Earnings per share rose 28 percent, to $2.69.

»arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2···rket.ars

Management reiterates the following guidance for the full fiscal year ending June 30, 2001:

Revenue is expected to be in the range of $25.2 billion to $25.4 billion. Diluted earnings per share is expected to be in the range of $1.80 to $1.82.

»www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres···2er.mspx
Is "doing better" an opinion?

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA
said by thegeek:

I would say they are about the same when it comes to specs. I like IOS better but both are about them same now with what they can do and spec wise. I just really think it's about what eco system you buy into and what OS you like better.

IDude

@navy.mil
You must be joking.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
My phone is better than your phone.

My daddy can beat up your daddy.

My child is an honor student at Leonid Brezhnev Middle School.

My kid beat up your Honor Student at Leonid Brezhnev Middle School.

My dog is smarter than your honor student.

Thread Locked
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power
bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

My Windows Phone is better than your phone
--
- Bill

whocares

@ca.gov
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by thegeek:

....now!

As a Droid Bionic owner, I would still put the 4S up there with any Android phone on the market in terms of hardware specs.

The dual-core A5 chip they brought over from the iPad 2 is very, very fast.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

1 recommendation

I am an android user, and a former iphone user.
While I couldn't go back to that 3.5 inch screen, my biggest complaint. for a lot of low tech users it's perfect.
The truth is neither is better they are better than each other in different ways.

I'll use the screen size as an example
iphone has a 3.5 inch screen and my thunderbolt has a 4.3 inch screen
Now most android users will should the bigger screen makes it better
iphone users upon hearing the same statement say but your phone is too large to use comfortably and the screen is the perfect size for me
etc etc.

Stop to Apple vs Google fanboy war and just buy what you want
and when you give recommendations, don't just push your favorite device/ OS decide based on the users preferences.

generally I suggest Iphones or HTC to new users who aren't as technically inclined.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4

wow...

Fail.. on so many levels.
desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

Re: wow...

said by djdanska:

Fail.. on so many levels.

You mean a motion-stablized 1080p video recorder with temporal noise filtering on the CCD block shoved into a cell phone is a fail?

I take it your current phone has this?
towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

Siri is awesome!!

Siri looks awesome. I'm about 99% positive I'm ditching my Android phone in April and getting this or the 5 if it's announced/released by then.

TD

•••••
ADL

join:2000-12-20
USA

Apple with the obvious Money Grab

Same screen size with a faster processor. Yawn. Will still sellout though regardless and Apple knows it.

••••••••••

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

iStore is iDown

Looks like Apple's iServer's can't iHandle the iTraffic.
»store.apple.com/
[iQuote=Apple]Http/1.1 Service Unavailable[/iQuote]

iDo not see iHow the iPhone 4S has anything iNew in it to iJustify iBuying it over any other iPhone.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Re: iStore is iDown

And the funny thing is that it's not even iValiable to order until Friday.
flycuban

join:2005-04-25
Homestead, FL
MSNBC has been down for the last 2 hrs, and Sprints online store is also down

Raul33602

@navy.mil

iPhone makes Android phones look like kiddie toys

iPhone makes Android phones look like kiddie toys. Anyone who says Android is better needs to try out an iPhone. No contest.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Improvement?

So does it still look like a slice of bread and are they fixing the antenna issue? I have not heard any details on the iPod Touch but I gather my "4" is still current.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

Re: Improvement?

The iTouch didn't really get rev'd spec-wise. Your iPhone 4 is still current, though it sounds like processing power for the iPhone 4S vs. the 4 is like comparing a PS3 to an XBox 360.

iPhone Fan

@rr.com

Had both...kept iPhone

I like what people are doing with Android, but for my personal use, I like iPhone more. I think its a better product overall. To me it feels more cohesive than most Android phones. If they really put some thought into the Android interface for future phones, then I think they would have something worth switching to...but as of right now, iPhone is the right choice for me.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

Well now

This was not a great announcement for Apple. The phone looks exactly the same, no bigger screen, no 4g. Apple seems to always be behind in times. I am in need of a new phone, and will probably be getting the Iphone 4S only because I do not want to drop 300 dollars for a 2 year contract on one of the Droids. I guess in a way Apple has keep it's pricing the same and sort of affordable for a smartphone. $199 for a 16gb is in my price range.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

••••••••••••••••

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

I think I'll hang on to my Verizon iPhone 4

Not much different than the current iPhone 4
xenophon

Re: I think I'll hang on to my Verizon iPhone 4

Since older iPhones can get iOS5, seems the only reason to get the new one is for gaming or if the current one is too slow for you.
Methadras

join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

A pointless upgrade... Suckers line up...

A pointless update for 4 users, not for 3g or 3gs users who are looking to leap frog into a newer model. I have a 4 and there is no need for me to drop another few hundred bucks on something that is barely a modular upgrade hardware wise. Just upgrade to IOS 5 and be done with it.
xenophon

Re: A pointless upgrade... Suckers line up...

Apple made a mistake allowing older devices to get iOS5. They would sell many more devices if iOS5 only works on 4S devices.
en103

join:2011-05-02

Re: A pointless upgrade... Suckers line up...

I agree. At a minimum - iPhone 4/4S.
iPhone 3GS has been a big numbers sale (low prices).
puck0114

join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR

Nexus Prime!

Bring on the Nexus Prime! And let's hope it's more exciting than this (which wouldn't require much)!
xenophon

Re: Nexus Prime!

The GSII large screen already is more exciting. Is amazing iPhone is still that tiny screen with that giant bezel.
pkorx8

join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

Re Sprint and other things

So on sprint, this 4S will be EVDOrev1 3G only, cuz there's no wimax radios.
Sprint's 3G is sub-par, compared to ATT and Verizon, so I don't see sprint getting a huge rush of new subscriptions from this 4S.

Also, wondering how ATT/verizon/sprint will deal with customer provided handsets? will they force mandatory 2-year contracts?

Also wondering if the GSM bands on the 4S will cover Tmo's AWS band?

•••
dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

Hey Apple- ever heard of MicroSD cards?

Without getting into an Android vs iPhone war, the thing I find really sleazy about the iPhone is the pricing. An extra $100 per 16GB? When most phones have removable MicroSD cards that cost all of $30 for a 16GB card or $45 for a 32GB?

Pretty weak, Apple.

•••
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

And here we go... ;)

said by Karl Bode:

The iPhone 5 will launch sometime next year, likely with a more dramatic redesign and more importantly -- LTE support.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4

apple.com down

access denied!! Rumors are of a whois hack and not due to site load. Other sites are affected too.

•••
nanaki333

join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

iPhone

The iPhone is just a smart phone for dummies.
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Re: iPhone

said by nanaki333:

The iPhone is just a smart phone for dummies.

+100. I stole that by the way. Great quote!
AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

battery life issues and unbuilt LTE networks

1- Verizon LTEis pretty much in every major market
2- Extended batteries ftw- opps my bad forgot you can't change battery on iphone
tman852

join:2010-07-06

Re: battery life issues and unbuilt LTE networks

Cases with built in batteries nearly doubling the overall battery life...