dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-10-14 14:37:48: Earlier this year Netflix began ranking the quality of video streaming performance for each of the nation's largest ISPs. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

VZ top and bottom

VZ FiOS at the top, while VZ DSL is 2nd from the bottom below Frontier.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

You're Fired

All of this might matter if a million of us hadn't said 'You're Fired' to 'Quit-flix'.

On a related note, my monthly network usage numbers for my ISP are down.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by unknvoip:

All of this might matter if a million of us hadn't said 'You're Fired' to 'Quit-flix'.

It still matters to those millions of us who thought "What's all the fuss? $8/mo. for streaming is still a good deal."

Happy to see my ISP, Comcast, is at #3.

Jim

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

Not surprised.

I'm on FiOS, and the HD streams from Netflix look as good as any OTA shows in HD.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

1 recommendation

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

Have Windstream

They suck, not surprised.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

U-Verse

It is interesting that U-verse is at the bottom end of the Cable/Fiber list. For the relatively low bitrate needed for Netflix there shouldn't be too much of a difference.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

decades of traffic management experience shows

The phone companies, or at least divisions of them, have been doing traffic management for a long, long time. To me, it's not particularly surprising T with their U-Verse and VZ with their FiOS do well in this sort of metric. Even when I was a VZ DSL subscriber in south Buffalo, at least when I tried to measure it, it seemed to me that the speeds were really stable (no noticeable dips). I know that's much less than scientific, with only a few samples. But I think knowing nothing else, this is through decades of traffic engineering experience.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10 to unknvoip

Premium Member

to unknvoip

Re: You're Fired

I enjoy Netflix. Can't beat $8 a month unlimited streaming.

I never seen great shows like,

Dexter
Weeds
Sons of Anarchy
And now I starting watching Breaking Bad.

$8 bucks a month is well worth it.
Fire your Cable provider.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Mediacom six too

And should be somewhere on the bottom rankings. Sometimes impossible to stream even SD YouTube 5 min clips.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to wings10

to wings10

Dexter isn't on Netflix streaming any longer. Nor do they make their show available on any internet VOD service that I'm aware of. I've paid $2.99/episode for Amazon VOD to stay current on Breaking Bad. By contrast, Showtime hasn't gotten any of my money because they refuse to make Dexter available through any mechanism other than overpriced cable or illegal P2P.
Crookshanks

Crookshanks to en103

to en103

Re: VZ top and bottom

I wonder what the median DSL speed for Verizon actually is? Where I live I don't know anybody who gets less than 3.0/768 unless they willingly pay for less. This chart suggests that 1.5mbit/s is the average though.

Sucks for people with an HD set; I've seen some HD movies average nearly 5mbit/s when run through Netflix on my TiVo.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to unknvoip

to unknvoip

A price increase is never welcome, but when you compare netflix prices vs other home entertainment services, cable, VOD, video store rentals, they are still a very good deal.
a million may have left, but the vast majority stayed, I'm happy that they didn't go ahead with separating the services into quickster and netflix, that was a dumb ass idea.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to rchandra

to rchandra

Re: decades of traffic management experience shows

The Verizon DSL forum here is littered with people who experience peak hour slowdowns. I was one of them until I raised a stink in the direct forum and had my line re-provisioned. On one hand I can't complain real loudly because they DID fix it; one wonders how many people who aren't knowledgeable enough to complain are paying for service they aren't receiving though?

Incidentally, Verizon stopped offering anything higher than 3.0mbit/s out of my CO. It seems I ordered my 10mbit/s service right in the nick of time because it's no longer offered. The tech who came out to hook up my POTS service a few weeks ago confirmed that they did this because of bandwidth limitations.

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD to wings10

Anon

to wings10

said by wings10:

......$8 bucks a month is well worth it.
Fire your Cable provider.

I guess you didn't get the memo that the content owners have and will continue to pull shows off Netflix until or unless they price on-par with the broadcast model.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to rchandra

to rchandra

said by rchandra:

The phone companies, or at least divisions of them, have been doing traffic management for a long, long time. To me, it's not particularly surprising T with their U-Verse ... [does well]...

"AT&T," U-Verse comes in 8th, behind six cable companies.

Jim

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

Frontier FiOS...

I wonder if they're still including Frontier users in the FiOS numbers, if we're in the DSL graph, or neither. My suspicion is that it's the second possibility...
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to Michail

to Michail

Re: U-Verse

said by Michail:

It is interesting that U-verse is at the bottom end of the Cable/Fiber list. For the relatively low bitrate needed for Netflix there shouldn't be too much of a difference.

I've watched Netflix when I had U-Verse and now with WOW. The WOW stream does look a bit better. But Netflix still looks better than my sisters U-Verse HD channels!

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour

I guess I'm interpreting "does well" a little differently. In terms of overall throughput, yes, they're just above Clearwire, and below (on most days) under everyone else. But four of those lines are in the same general neighborhood (roughly 2200-2400) with similar variability (all curves rise and fall approximately equal amounts relative to a baseline). Two of those six have higher variability in the data, most prominently Cablevision, along with Cable One. Again, I'm talking about the variability of the connection (which I think would cause the most problems in viewing a stream), not the throughput absolute value. After all, the Y axis is "kbps," not some quality number. I would think individual subscriber preferences (what the access speed is for the service they choose) could account for at least some of the relative speed differences...although U-Verse is supposed to be zippy like FiOS. Hmmm....

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to rchandra

MVM

to rchandra
Well, that may be the issue, but the real problem is that the DSL companies are all stuck with people seeing congestion at night in some areas, speed limitations due to distance or equipment (Remotes!), and in the case of a bunch of Verizon lines, speed issues due to equipment setup/configuration. Now look at FiOS where none of that really exists. Don't think the Telcos are traffic shaping if FiOS is really kicking the cable companies off to the side like that...

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

MonkeyLick78

The problem is that Netflix tends to choke on it's own during busy nights regardless of your bandwidth.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to rchandra

to rchandra

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you making a statement about variance or throughput or both?

If I look at the chart, some cable providers, who by implication have not been doing traffic management as long as Ma Bell, do have a higher variance than ATT U-Verse and VZ FIOS. However, the variance seem the same for Charter, Comcast and ATT/VZ.

Charter has 5.2 million customers (cannot find Internet breakout), VZ FIOS has ~4million Internet customers and Comcast has 16.7m Internet customers. If anything I would have to surmise that Comcast is tops in traffic management since they server 4 times more customers and yet their variance isn't any greater than VZ.

In terms of FIOS, their higher throughput is likely due to their minimum speed being similar to cable's mid to upper tiers.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

variance between providers...the telcos' curves seem overall flatter (less variance from day to day) than the others. And the other statement I was trying to make could probably be better made with an example: if the throughput on any given day (X axis) goes up for Charter, it goes up approximately (but not absolutely) as much for AT&T (and Comcast, and Verizon, and...)

But that's a great point about subscriber base. I hadn't thought about that.
I stand corrected.

vzw emp
@144.191.148.x

vzw emp to MonkeyLick78

Anon

to MonkeyLick78

Re: .

If the do then I've never experienced it.

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

1 edit

MonkeyLick78

quote:
If the do then I've never experienced it.
Look around online and you'll see plenty of complaints. Considering how often they have outages it's not surprising.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to vzw emp

Premium Member

to vzw emp
I don't know if it is related to Netflix's connection but I have had issues ever since they switched to Silverlight... what a piece of CRAP! Netflix tech support points their finger at Microsoft and Microsoft says it's your hardware. Strange, I never had a problem when the player was WMP based nor do I have problems playing 1080P in VLC.

Got rid of Netflix, use P2P now... better selection anyway.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

amazon uses flash. no problems there

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to en103

Premium Member

to en103

said by en103:

... below Frontier.

I didn't know such a place existed.
Truely the depths of hell.

oh wait we call that wireless

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

HaloFans to en103

to en103
If Clearwire weren't on the list as it should have not been in the first place as a wireless operator, Verizon DSL is the WORST Internet provider in the USA.

There you have it folks.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to mogamer

Premium Member

to mogamer

Re: U-Verse

said by mogamer:

said by Michail:

I've watched Netflix when I had U-Verse and now with WOW. The WOW stream does look a bit better. But Netflix still looks better than my sisters U-Verse HD channels!

Sad but true. And Netflix does it with less bandwidth.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to Crookshanks

MVM

to Crookshanks

In a lot of areas 3Mbps IS the Max for Verizon's DSL. Some people wind up getting 1.5Mbps on a 3Mbps connection due to some known issues and some simply get stuck at a lower speed. Then there's those homes who have everyone using the connection...
page: 1 · 2 · next