spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-11-04 09:15:41: Of the 75 million broadband subscribers in the US around 42 million, or 56%, have some form of data cap in place from their internet service provider (ISP) according to data from Leichtman Research Group. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

TV 5 Hrs per DAY ??

quote:
Based on the average 154 hours of TV a US individual will watch per month
That's over FIVE hours per DAY !!! Well...At least they won't be data hogs.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Re: TV 5 Hrs per DAY ??

Five hours of TV is not that much, when you think about it that is only 7-12 which is effectively Jeopardy, Wheel, Primetime programming, News, Nightline(or some other late night show). pretty much a typical TV night in America.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

ctceo
Premium
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

Honestly.

VERY short term, MAYBE. Wanna keep capitalism afloat a bit longer, certainly.

But honestly, in the long run no, No and NO!
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

Question

Are there any other countries in the world, other than Canada, where the local ISPs have caps and overages?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Re: Question

said by Timmn:

Are there any other countries in the world, other than Canada, where the local ISPs have caps and overages?

The United States of America ?
(It sure ain't Canada, and it definitely is a different country )
Did you mean outside of North America?
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
-Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1 + Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1 + Dupont POI + eXtreme Cable Pr0

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV

Re: Question

said by TwiztedZero:

Did you mean outside of North America?

Yes, I made the mistake of assuming that since I was in the US, that the readers would understand that I was talking about the US. Sorry about that.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....

join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

hmm

I went through 100gb in 2 days. And thats not even keeping it busy full time.

So, i could in real life terms, suck in 140gb in 2 days.

x15 = 2.1tb a month.

interesting.

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

You guys think that the big boys are screwing customers?

You think that the big guys are predatory? This company charges $50.00 per GIG for overages.
»www.vabb.com/signup.php

flwpwr

@comcast.net

RECAP THIS

Caps were part of the internet, then not part of it, and now have come back. Originally you bought a chunk of time over dial up internet, I remember having to look at my prodigy account or getting kicked off after a certain amount of time, but that was becasue dial up modems were not cheap enough and others wanted to dial in, even my local freeenet limited you to 2 hours, prodigy was substantially more time per day but it was there.

cable and DSL wanting to take over dial up business advertised as unlimited, meaning there was no time limit, as well as no wait [for the damn dial up negotiations].

Time goes on, dial up is all but extinct now, and more house holds are on line then ever, suddenly the data usage went through the roof, companies are now scrambling to limit [instead of upgrade] their network limits.

This is the same approach dial up isp's took back in the day though. They would not get cheap enough, nor would they be needed much longer, and whala, a few still exist reselling services such as comcast under their own ISP name via earthlink and others. But for the most part they too are dying a slow death. I wonder if CC can enforce caps on earthlink cable though... Its technically a network portion sold to someone else as mandated by the government, so...

How is that going to work out...

And suddenly new life was breathed back into dying isp's like earthlink, if only momentarily.

Bet they get a lot of web hits in the next few days just from this site looking in to that though..

Support nightmare, but meh, whatever.

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

Re: RECAP THIS

said by flwpwr :

Caps were part of the internet, then not part of it, and now have come back. Originally you bought a chunk of time over dial up internet, I remember having to look at my prodigy account or getting kicked off after a certain amount of time, but that was becasue dial up modems were not cheap enough and others wanted to dial in, even my local freeenet limited you to 2 hours, prodigy was substantially more time per day but it was there.

I remember it well. I wrote a script in Expect to keep track of our PRI lines. It monitored who had been on the longest and when the last line got connected it kicked off the person who had been on the network the longest. We had 120 lines at our peak as a dial up ISP. Our customers loved us because we kept track of how long that person had been logged in and added lines when it went below 4 hours on average.

said by flwpwr :

cable and DSL wanting to take over dial up business advertised as unlimited, meaning there was no time limit, as well as no wait [for the damn dial up negotiations].

Time goes on, dial up is all but extinct now, and more house holds are on line then ever, suddenly the data usage went through the roof, companies are now scrambling to limit [instead of upgrade] their network limits.

Well this is primarily due to streaming video. Some networks simply can't deliver a large number of streams simultaneous streams to their customer base.

It is reasonable to try to distribute bandwidth uniformly across your customer base when bandwidth becomes your limiting factor.

Our philosophy was that we were not making money if our lines were not all full and our backhaul(s) were not running a 100% all the time. Clearly that is not possible but it is a reasonable goal if you can deliver a quality service at a price point that does not make you a target for your competition.

The WISP mentioned above believes his competition is mobile wireless. Clearly he is mistaken. But even if he were not mistaken he can not compete with mobile wireless at $70.00 per month for 2 gigs.

He will loose his customer base at their earliest opportunity for any other service.
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit

Some points

AT&T tries to justify data caps and overage fees by arguing that the top 2% of their subscribers put a disproportionate strain on the network by gobbling up around 20% of their bandwidth saying:

those 2% are using 20% of all bandwidth being used. Not 20% of AVAILABLE bandwidth. Huge difference. If someone CHOOSES to drive 10 miles a day in their new car doesn't mean I have to. Nor does it mean I'm being a road "hog" if I drive 100 miles a day. ISPs seem to want to based what people should used on those that use the least.

Also for those saying that most people don't care because they are nowhere near the caps. Well they aren't near the caps NOW. If the majority wait until they hoit the caps before complaining well its' too late then.

Also ISPs saying "only" 2% exceed the caps. Well if the caps don't increase then that % will grow each year. So far ISPs haven't chosen to increase caps. Charter's and Comcast caps have been the same for 3 years now. Moore's Law says they should have doubled every 18 months to 2 years. ISPs keep increasing SPEED which pretty much irrelevant now. Yet they keep the caps the same. Increasing my speed from 18 mbps to 30 Mbps means nothing if I'm limited to 250 GB. Unless I have 6 devices all streaming Netflix at the same time that increase means nothing. And of course I can't stream Netflix to 6 devices because of the cap. So don't tell me you're increasing my speed for free and act like you're doing me a favor. You're not.