spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-11-21 12:52:51: An anonymous poster to our CenturyLink forums claims the company is preparing to impose usage caps on their DSL customers. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

OMFG this is BS.

I knew this was going to happen sooner than later.

letmoneytalk

@qwest.net

I figured

Centurylink is just following suit, and I can't blame them, as they must see the profits that other ISP's are making with these caps?

They can't blame me when I cancel their service either, as I'm just doing what I see others doing...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

On the other hand

the caps are better than what Charter has on it's lower tiers which is 100 GB. Also 1.5 Mbps can only download 475 GB a month. So 150 GB would be 31.5%. Not bad compared to other ISPs. Once again Charter's caps are less than 3%.

Technicholas
Premium
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·CenturyLink

I've been a Qwest/Centurylink customer for over 10 years.

I've been a Qwest customer for over 10 years..... they shouldn't be enforcing this cap because I get close to the 250GB limit every month.... we have a house of 4 everyone uses the internet on YouTube and Netflix streaming at 7mbps. I think they are out there to reduce congestion. Wonder what they will do? Make us go to a business account or just cut us off hmm?

pooker314

join:2005-04-12
Brush Prairie, WA

I would LOVE to upgrade to a faster tier

but unfortunately, Centurylink's refusal to make any improvements to service in my area makes that impossible. Perhaps the only good thing about CL's craptacular service is that it is slow enough to keep most people from hitting the caps.

On my service level (nominally 1.5mpbs), I have managed to exceed 100GB a month twice in the past two years. Both times were in during Steam's annual Xmas sale, when I was downloading game files 24/7 for well over a week straight. But with video streaming not really being an option, I don't see how I could ever come close to hitting 150GB. Most months are well under 15GB.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Now that CenturyLink has TV over internet (Prism)

Now that CenturyLink has TV over internet (Prism) they want to limit subscribers usage so that they cannot stream many movies from Netflix and others without consequences. Must make subscribers use prism if they want to watch television.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to letmoneytalk

Re: I figured

I haven't read any numbers. How much are they making? Is this because folks upgrade to more expensive packages or because the provider's have overage charges?

For instance, Charter has 100GB cap but as I understand it, it's only used to warn excessive users and possibly take corrective action if they don't abide by the limits. I'm not aware of them stating what they would charge per unit over 100GB or if they would force a user into a higher priced package.

dks7

join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

monopoly

This is what happens when corps are allowed in America. There is zero competition, they make the decisions. Ma bell put herself back together and now she's mad as hell and has a french tickler, bend over.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Now that CenturyLink has TV over internet (Prism)

Streaming Netflix at 1.5 Mbps sucks anyways.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by 88615298:

CenturyLink DSL goes up to 10Mbps here.

Premium
West Tenness

said by fifty nine:

said by 88615298:

CenturyLink DSL goes up to 10Mbps here.

Well your 250 GB cap is better than the 100 GB Charter has on it's 15 Mbps service.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Who still doesn't see the wrong way the US is heading...

... in practically every regard.

Ironic how reports about bandwidth costs dropping dramatically are equally matched by the latest ISP announcing caps and overages and moving towards UBB profiteering.

... and as for consumers voting with their wallets.... there's now not a single broadband ISP I can choose that isn't capping and charging more for usage. So much for the "free market."

Bring on Muni-Fi.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

How Much Data Is In A Packet?

Since the modem records packets sent and received I don't see how they could enforce a limit of 250Gb. How many packets is that?

mlcarson

join:2001-09-20
Los Alamos, NM

Since the amount of data in a packet is variable and the type of packets vary -- it's not a set number.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Technicholas

Re: I've been a Qwest/Centurylink customer for over 10 years.

They wont cut you off.

Many people here and throughout the world are not aware of this... but when you move up to a higher service or just simply begin paying more then "congestion" suddenly disappears and all is good on the ISP's network.

It has something to do with some network physics that scientist are still trying to wrap their heads around. It is believed once these scientist/economist figure this out we will have enough bandwidth in the world to do anything we want.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC

Since I got a SamKnows router (with traffic meter)

We never exceeded the 100GB "softlimit " I put in the router.

This is 2 non- gameplay adults who don't do alot of You-Tube either.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to ArizonaSteve

Re: How Much Data Is In A Packet?

all over head, network ack, arp, resends, etc are part of your cap.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to scooper

Re: Since I got a SamKnows router (with traffic meter)

You should only have to pay like $10/month.

letmoneytalk

@qwest.net
reply to rradina

"How much are they making?"

I would say this move would help their bottom line overall, as it will scare users into wondering if it's ok to "click on that next Netflix/Youtube" video, or possibly face letters inquiring about usage and upgrade requests from their ISP(that alone would probably allow capacity upgrades to be postponed). I pay for 40/5mb service with CL, and for what I pay for and use each month, I don't want a "cap hanging over my head". Although I am not a "problem user", and may have hit 250Gb in a month once in a my time with this account(maybe), I just do not like the idea of throttling users or pushing users to upgrade accounts, when the ISP thinks* your using too much bandwidth - they are writing their own rules/speed limits. That being said, their will always be some users(losers) that leave bit torrents and other file shares open all month long and rack up crazy outgoing bandwidth, and I would appreciate it if those users were singled out by the ISP for this abuse and sent letters or "informed that excessive usage can lead to account termination", but leave the majority of us alone, and don't hold these caps over our heads. At the end of the day though, I feel that we are going backwards in our pursuit of technology, and think that limiting people to the amount of content, or their perception of the amount of content that can reach them monthly, is just wrong. In a world where we compete with each other on an intellectual basis, limiting a users access to rich content, is a sin.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to KrK

Re: Who still doesn't see the wrong way the US is heading...

Ironic indeed.

Meanwhile I passed 40 Terabytes on my seedbox the other day for 18 bucks a month.

Wilsdom

reply to letmoneytalk

With most connections having such pitiful upload capacity in the US excessive torrenting isn't even possible.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Technicholas

said by Technicholas:

. we have a house of 4 everyone uses the internet on YouTube and Netflix streaming at 7mbps.

Then backoff on the quality. Most of the time you won't be able to tell the difference:

»account.netflix.com/HdToggle

Manage video quality
We know that some of you have Internet data caps and we want to make it easier for you to manage how much data you use.
We offer 3 video quality settings to help you manage your data usage. No matter what level you choose, your Netflix membership price will remain the same.

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)
Save Cancel

--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/rss/2012-election-blog.xml

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Clinton, NC

Terrible Leadership to say the least

I can only speak for myself but how do you cap someone who has not gained any improvement in speeds for last 4 years. I mean come on people! Max we can get is 10M down and 768K up. Focus on bigger and better infrastructure and less on cutting your customer base back. The companies focus is heading in the wrong direction and customers can go away.

Wilsdom

reply to FFH

There is no point in watching movies in sub-optimal quality. Certainly not worth paying for it--we aren't taking about pirated cam releases. And unless you have a severe eye disease you will notice. It's like reading CliffsNotes when you aren't in school (or dyslexic).

ShooterX
Premium
join:2004-08-14
Bloomsbury, NJ

Contract

Does this mean I could leave my contract without an ETF?

Even since CL and Embarq merged, my service has gone to absolute crap.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

... in practically every regard.

Ironic how reports about bandwidth costs dropping dramatically are equally matched by the latest ISP announcing caps and overages and moving towards UBB profiteering.

... and as for consumers voting with their wallets.... there's now not a single broadband ISP I can choose that isn't capping and charging more for usage. So much for the "free market."

Bring on Muni-Fi.

You mean who hasn't already seen this years ago?

About the only "free/freedom" thing this country has anymore is the freedom to bend over and answer to the man!!

Sure,
We're better of than some third world country's, but even that is by a declining amount
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

EAQOCaA

join:2010-03-22
Littlestown, PA

how much more is business class?

those who violate their cap will receive an e-mail, call or in-browser web message informing them they've crossed the cap, and advising them to upgrade to a faster residential or business-class tier.
Seems there is no upgrade if one crosses the 250GB cap unless one goes to 'business-class'.
I pay $50 for a 5M/768 naked dsl connection. How much would that cost me with business-class, or is that even possible? Would I need to pick up phone service?

I have stuck with sprint/embarq/centurylink dsl since I have never had to worry about caps. The speed has been fast enough.

CenturyLink is taking away the 1 reason why I have stayed with them.
So CenturyLink tell me, why should I stick with you when you will now have the same cap as Comcast and less then half the speed for the same price?

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to scooper

Re: Since I got a SamKnows router (with traffic meter)

yeah? i have the same router, it said i used 250GB's in one month, however the person i talked to with my isp said i used closer to 500GB's that month, so whos meter is right? and thus points out a flaw in any thing with a limit like this, who's setting the metrics the meters use.

edit: fat fingerd a 3 instead of 5

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

1 recommendation

reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

Meanwhile I passed 40 Terabytes on my seedbox the other day for 18 bucks a month.

Hmm, hard to imagine why residential ISPs are clamping down and securing the means to further monetize consumer behavior.

W7PSK
Just Me
Premium
join:2000-12-04
Everett, WA

More money for the Boards pockets

Just another money grab. We are going to see more and more companies putting on caps so they can charge ridiculous fees for going over. Until we consumers say STOP they wont.