dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-19 15:34:00: Bandwidth.com recently launched a new wireless carrier named Republic Wireless promising unlimited text, data, and voice for an unheard-of $20 a month. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
glinc
join:2009-04-07
New York, NY

glinc

meh

Don't know what's funnier. Holding your phone and searching for wifi or move from one stop to another if you have no service.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

it's a joke right

Pathetic

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

CUI index too difficult to understand

I dont like playing games in a wireless world.

this CUI index is crap, and i can't see where a user at any given time could tell how much airtime or data usage they had left.

this is more complicated that the FAP systems used by satellite providers.

THUMBS DOWN for Republic Wireless.

kataan
Premium Member
join:2003-04-22
Greenacres, WA

kataan

Premium Member

I can imagine that the mathematical equation to what you air time is looks only slightly more complicated than the the quantum theory for gravity.
tivoboy
join:2004-05-10
Menlo Park, CA

tivoboy

great

Honestly, I think this is a GREAT offering the marketplace. Literally 20$ for no limit SMS, calling and data as long as we use a lot of WIFI, like home, office, hotspots, etc. I think this offering is going to even more successful that the current sold out status suggests. This is going to do a lot to cannibalize the boost and metropcs offerings of the world.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna

Re: CUI index too difficult to understand

You can apparently scam this index quite easily. Just use your phone at home over WiFi network and run non-stop speedtests or file transfers to up the amount of WiFi usage on the phone. This gives you lots of 3g usage over Sprint network based on examples listed in story.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

Seems very open and honest of Bandwidth.com so far!

I like their policies! They indeed seem reasonable and fair, and very straightforward for the technologically aware population.

One thing to note regarding cellular use:
one megabyte of data is equivalent to
two minutes of voice talk time, which is equivalent to
six SMS text messages
I think that's pretty telling of how the SMS prices are way overblown. Can either send probably around 200 to 2000 SMS messages over the cellular data connection with something like Google Voice, or 6 messages over the standard cellular text-message means? Heh.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

How can this be legal?

quote:
unlimited text, data, and voice for an unheard-of $20 a month
limited to 550 minutes, 150 texts, and 300 megabytes of data a month
Definition of false advertising.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5

Don't forget to only transfer within your local network. Otherwise you're using up your ISP's bandwidth cap.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020 to ConstantineM

to ConstantineM

Re: Seems very open and honest of Bandwidth.com so far!

I like the idea, but public wifi is painful to use in some cases. I have been at many hotels and public areas that require you to log in via a portal before wifi works. It won't be like roaming from place to place on cellular. If you have to accept wifi terms every place you go, it will turn a lot of people off.

RWConfusion
@comcast.net

RWConfusion

Anon

Not really "Unlimited"

I believe Karl got it wrong. Read through the complicated formulas and you'll see that more Wifi does not generate more cell minutes/data/txt.

The complicated "CUI" formula hides the fact that there is a "soft cap" of cellular use for all users. Yes, you can exceed it for a few months before getting booted off, but if you're a consistent heavy cell talk/data/txt users, you will get in trouble.

And, no, making a dummy Wifi call all night long won't magically replenish your "cell bucket". If your bucket is empty, the only thing you can do is cut back immediately on your cell usage, to bring your average cell usage in line with what they want you to use.

The overall business model is a sound and simple one: a Wifi centered phone service, with a cell phone backup. But their initial advertisements of "unlimited for $20!", while true in one aspect, won't work for someone who's looking to consume a lot of cellular data/txt/talk.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to tigerpaw509

to tigerpaw509

Re: it's a joke right

No joke. Can you get a cellular plan for $20 per month that costs nothing when you're at home and, assuming you talk at home enough, unlimited while elsewhere?

metroarea
@equinix.net

metroarea

Anon

optimum wifi

If you have cablevision in the NYC metro area this is a no brainer with optimumwifi.

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM

So according to them, the average text message is 174762.66666 letters long.

With a standard 160 character text message limit, 6 texts are 960 bytes, round it up to a kilobyte after overhead. A kilobyte is not a megabyte. 1 megabyte of data is equal to more than 6000 texts since texts aren't always 160 characters each, they're usually much less.

And I doubt the quality of a voice call is 32 kbps each direction.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to aannoonn

MVM

to aannoonn

Re: How can this be legal?

said by aannoonn :

quote:
unlimited text, data, and voice for an unheard-of $20 a month
limited to 550 minutes, 150 texts, and 300 megabytes of data a month
Definition of false advertising.

See also: Fine Print.
Common to: Every other company known to man.

FastDSL1
join:1999-08-22
Snellville, GA

FastDSL1

service

So far I've been loving my republic wireless service. Def had my first snag today as the service isn't available if the wireless network blocks VOIP and other ports... Most likely because it was a guest network to a hospital.

Still browse and whatever else on WIFI but Calls and SMS go back to Sprint Network. Not a big deal since it's only one day out of seven I am at that location.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to RWConfusion

Premium Member

to RWConfusion

Re: Not really "Unlimited"

Yes, you're absolutely right. Their numbers are just based on using more wifi, so you get more total, not more cellular. The cellular is limited on it's own, and wifi doesn't count against anything.

This service is going to be great for kids, or people that want a smartphone, but don't have high usage patterns, or can deal with the limits and want better coverage at home.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Blue State MBAs

Must be the same group that believes you spend your way out of debt.
Even Reed Hastings couldn't "clarify" things worse.

knighthawktf
@clearwire-wmx.net

knighthawktf

Anon

horrible

To think I thought clearwire's non-unlimited non-cap caps were bad. Haha this puts them to shame. BTW on what planet does 6 sms messages = 1mb ?
chex383
join:2003-03-13
Victoria, BC

chex383 to cdru

to cdru

Your wireline ISP transfer cap is many times greater than a typical wireless data cap. I think it can handle it.
chex383

chex383 to FastDSL1

to FastDSL1

Re: service

Do they allow you to connect over a VPN client setup (Android this is trivial to do) inside your phone? You can bypass all local network blocks by connecting to your ( or some VPN providers) network, and always have access to all ports you need.
chex383

chex383

This is so cool!!

As an American living under the strict Canadian wireless data plans, where I have to scrimp and save to watch that I dont go over a very stingy 500MB of data every month, I find This is AMAZING!!! I work -very- hard to always hook my phone up to wireless when I can, and I would benefit greatly from this plan. I would sign up with these guys if I were in the US in a heartbeat.

- Stefan
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

cool

A great option for those who are near wifi most of their day. and cheap to boot. How much is it to add a landline to your home service ?
staregazer
join:2006-12-15

staregazer

Think about it this way. Vonage charges more and it is limited to a landline. Cable companies charge $30+ per month for their phone service. This service is $20 per month and is great for those that do not make a whole lot of calls while they are away from home. This is a solution that combines home phone and cell service for one cheap rate. Magic Jack is only $20 a year though and Net Talk is only $30 a year.

I think you can use Magic Jack or Net Talk on the smart phone. If you could get data only for pretty cheap and the voice does not take all that much data then that would be the perfect solution. It would give you unlimited calls and text where you have wifi and a lot of calls and texts on data if voice does not use much data.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Re: Blue State MBAs

said by elray:

Must be the same group that believes you spend your way out of debt.

What??

FastDSL1
join:1999-08-22
Snellville, GA

FastDSL1 to chex383

to chex383

Re: service

Did not even think of trying that. Thanks!
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: it's a joke right

said by iansltx:

No joke. Can you get a cellular plan for $20 per month that costs nothing when you're at home and, assuming you talk at home enough, unlimited while elsewhere?

Agreed, for $20/month 1 GB of data and 1500 minutes isn't bad at all.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to compuguybna

to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

I dont like playing games in a wireless world.

this CUI index is crap, and i can't see where a user at any given time could tell how much airtime or data usage they had left.

this is more complicated that the FAP systems used by satellite providers.

THUMBS DOWN for Republic Wireless.

It's complicated, but once you understand it you realize it's a pretty good deal.

Unfortunately your mindless rejection is very likely to be the main reaction among customers.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

You can apparently scam this index quite easily. Just use your phone at home over WiFi network and run non-stop speedtests or file transfers to up the amount of WiFi usage on the phone. This gives you lots of 3g usage over Sprint network based on examples listed in story.

The article says to a maximum of 1 GB over 3G.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to NickD

to NickD

said by NickD:

So according to them, the average text message is 174762.66666 letters long.

With a standard 160 character text message limit, 6 texts are 960 bytes, round it up to a kilobyte after overhead. A kilobyte is not a megabyte. 1 megabyte of data is equal to more than 6000 texts since texts aren't always 160 characters each, they're usually much less.

And I doubt the quality of a voice call is 32 kbps each direction.

Yeah I had to laugh at the whole "1 MB = 6 text messages". In what universe does a text message require 160 KB? I think there was an error by a factor of 1000.
page: 1 · 2 · next