dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-19 18:29:26: AT&T today finally acknowledged the obvious: their highly controversial plan to acquire T-Mobile for $38 billion is officially dead. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

1 recommendation

rit56

One for the home team

Victory!!!!!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Here is the official AT&T news release by them

»www.att.com/gen/press-ro ··· -general

AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) said today that after a thorough review of options it has agreed with Deutsche Telekom AG to end its bid to acquire T-Mobile USA, which began in March of this year.

The actions by the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice to block this transaction do not change the realities of the U.S. wireless industry. It is one of the most fiercely competitive industries in the world, with a mounting need for more spectrum that has not diminished and must be addressed immediately. The AT&T and T-Mobile USA combination would have offered an interim solution to this spectrum shortage. In the absence of such steps, customers will be harmed and needed investment will be stifled.

“AT&T will continue to be aggressive in leading the mobile Internet revolution,” said Randall Stephenson, AT&T chairman and CEO. “Over the past four years we have invested more in our networks than any other U.S. company. As a result, today we deliver best-in-class mobile broadband speeds – connecting smartphones, tablets and emerging devices at a record pace – and we are well under way with our nationwide 4G LTE deployment.

“To meet the needs of our customers, we will continue to invest,” Stephenson said. “However, adding capacity to meet these needs will require policymakers to do two things. First, in the near term, they should allow the free markets to work so that additional spectrum is available to meet the immediate needs of the U.S. wireless industry, including expeditiously approving our acquisition of unused Qualcomm spectrum currently pending before the FCC. Second, policymakers should enact legislation to meet our nation’s longer-term spectrum needs.

“The mobile Internet is a dynamic industry that can be a critical driver in restoring American economic growth and job creation, but only if companies are allowed to react quickly to customer needs and market forces,” Stephenson said.

To reflect the break-up considerations due Deutsche Telekom, AT&T will recognize a pretax accounting charge of $4 billion in the 4th quarter of 2011. Additionally, AT&T will enter a mutually beneficial roaming agreement with Deutsche Telekom.

A little bit of whining in there blaming FCC & DOJ for being idiots.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

1 recommendation

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

»www.att.com/gen/press-ro ··· -general

AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) said today that after a thorough review of options it has agreed with Deutsche Telekom AG to end its bid to acquire T-Mobile USA, which began in March of this year.

The actions by the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice to block this transaction do not change the realities of the U.S. wireless industry. It is one of the most fiercely competitive industries in the world, with a mounting need for more spectrum that has not diminished and must be addressed immediately. The AT&T and T-Mobile USA combination would have offered an interim solution to this spectrum shortage. In the absence of such steps, customers will be harmed and needed investment will be stifled.

“AT&T will continue to be aggressive in leading the mobile Internet revolution,” said Randall Stephenson, AT&T chairman and CEO. “Over the past four years we have invested more in our networks than any other U.S. company. As a result, today we deliver best-in-class mobile broadband speeds – connecting smartphones, tablets and emerging devices at a record pace – and we are well under way with our nationwide 4G LTE deployment.

“To meet the needs of our customers, we will continue to invest,” Stephenson said. “However, adding capacity to meet these needs will require policymakers to do two things. First, in the near term, they should allow the free markets to work so that additional spectrum is available to meet the immediate needs of the U.S. wireless industry, including expeditiously approving our acquisition of unused Qualcomm spectrum currently pending before the FCC. Second, policymakers should enact legislation to meet our nation’s longer-term spectrum needs.

“The mobile Internet is a dynamic industry that can be a critical driver in restoring American economic growth and job creation, but only if companies are allowed to react quickly to customer needs and market forces,” Stephenson said.

To reflect the break-up considerations due Deutsche Telekom, AT&T will recognize a pretax accounting charge of $4 billion in the 4th quarter of 2011. Additionally, AT&T will enter a mutually beneficial roaming agreement with Deutsche Telekom.

A little bit of whining in there blaming FCC & DOJ for being idiots.

That's great, AT&T. When do you plan on giving me semi-decent 3G coverage down here? Ever?

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Damaged Goods

That is TMO, anymore.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Great....

Now we got to feel the wrath of the deathstar

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Here is the official AT&T news release by them

Q&A by Wall Street journal on what this development may mean for customers of either AT&T or TMO:
»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· 088.html

By ANTON TROIANOVSKI

AT&T is pulling its $39 billion deal for T-Mobile USA in the face of antitrust opposition. Here's a rundown of what it means for customers.

Question: What if I'm an AT&T customer?

Answer: Nothing will change immediately. But in the coming years, AT&T--like just about every other carrier--will need to find a way to get access to more airwave frequencies to make sure it can support the surge of data traffic on its network. That was a problem the T-Mobile deal was supposed to solve. If AT&T isn't able to find another solution, higher prices and worse service quality could result.

For now, AT&T is likely to continue to manage customers' data use by charging heavy users more. AT&T will also look to improve network performance in heavy-usage markets like New York and Chicago by installing more antennas and building better connections between the antennas and the network's core. And while AT&T will need to pay T-Mobile's parent $3 billion in cash and $1 billion in spectrum assets to make up for the deal falling through, that won't be much of a hit to the company's books. AT&T reported $94 billion in revenue for the first nine months of 2011.

Q: What if I'm a T-Mobile customer?

A: There's a lot of uncertainty swirling around T-Mobile--most of all because its owner, Deutsche Telekom AG of Germany, has said it wants to exit the U.S. market. For now, expect T-Mobile to continue to compete strongly for value-conscious customers. The company is able to offer relatively cheap smartphone rate plans, and it's also been making a push to gain more customers who don't want to sign up for a two-year contract.

But in the longer term, T-Mobile faces serious challenges. The uncertainty of the AT&T deal left the company in limbo for nearly a year--a very long time in the fast-changing telecom industry. T-Mobile is now the only national carrier without the iPhone. And it doesn't have a plan in place to upgrade its network to the fourth-generation standard already being adopted at Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Sprint Nextel Corp. To do that, T-Mobile will need an investment that Deutsche Telekom so far hasn't been willing to make.

Q: What if I'm with another carrier?

A: Expect the wireless industry to remain in flux. Of all the carriers, Verizon is the one with the clearest path forward: it has already built out its high-speed LTE network to cover 200 million Americans, and its purchase of spectrum from several cable companies recently gives it enough frequencies to allow its network capacity to grow for several years, analysts say.

For Sprint, which fought hard in Washington against the AT&T-T-Mobile merger, obstacles still loom--notably a tricky network upgrade, a complicated relationship with mobile-broadband provider Clearwire, and a very expensive bet on carrying the Apple iPhone. Smaller carriers such as MetroPCS Communications and Leap Wireless International, which runs the Cricket brand, are facing spectrum constraints as consumers move to data-guzzling smartphones.

Q: Why did the deal fall through?

A: AT&T orchestrated the rollout of the deal in March to push all the right buttons, promising consumers a faster network and policymakers an expansion of mobile broadband into more of rural America. Key interest groups and politicians came on board and expressed their support for the deal. But AT&T apparently didn't anticipate the depth of concern among regulators and antitrust enforcers about the increasing dominance of Verizon and AT&T in the wireless industry. And while AT&T said it expected the government to analyze wireless competition only by looking at local markets, the Justice Department focused on the national market--where the deal would have reduced the number of competitors to three from four.

Despite AT&T's public stance last spring and summer that the deal would be approved, things started falling apart in late August when the Justice Department sued to block the deal on antitrust grounds. In November, the FCC echoed the Justice Department's concerns, saying it would seek its own trial-like hearing that would take place after the end of the antitrust trial. In the end, the opposition in Washington proved intractable, and Deutsche Telekom and AT&T decided to walk away.

Q: Why did AT&T say this deal would help consumers?

A: AT&T has been pummeled by criticism of its network's performance, especially in dense urban areas. AT&T said buying T-Mobile for $39 billion was the fastest and surest way to solve that problem. The two companies' networks were complimentary, AT&T argued, because both used a technology standard called GSM--unlike Sprint, Verizon, MetroPCS, and Cricket, which all use another standard called CDMA. Combining their networks, AT&T and T-Mobile said, would mean better service for customers of both companies. AT&T also said the merger would allow it to build out its high-speed, next-generation network to cover 97% of the U.S. population--more coverage than it said it would be able to accomplish without the T-Mobile merger. As a result of AT&T's new infrastructure investment, as many as 96,000 jobs could be created, AT&T said.

Q: Why did the government say this deal would hurt customers?

A: Government officials poked holes in AT&T's arguments. Regulators at the Federal Communications Commission said AT&T could improve its network performance without buying its third-largest competitor, that competition from Verizon could force AT&T to build out its high-speed network to cover 97% of Americans, anyway, and that the merger was sure to result in job losses as AT&T sought to realize the "synergies" of combining with T-Mobile. But the biggest focus in Washington was on the competitive dynamics of the wireless industry. Both the Justice Department and the FCC said that T-Mobile was an important and innovative low-price competitor to Verizon and AT&T. If T-Mobile were to be gobbled up by AT&T, the agencies said, consumers would see higher prices and less innovation.

en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to rit56

to rit56

Re: One for the home team

Unfortunately... its too early to call 'Victory' for anyone, unless you're a current T-Mobile customer, or Sprint executive.

Winners ??
T-Mobile customers (currently)
Sprint

Losers: AT&T obviously
T-Mobile itself and customers. T-Mobile will still be sold off or picked apart.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Here is the official AT&T news release by them

So what does T-Mobile do?
»www.intomobile.com/2011/ ··· -do-now/
quote:
The one major exception to that is Dish Network, which has been publicly saying that it would partner with T-Mobile if the AT&T deal fell through. Dish has its own spectrum and has been itching to aggressively dive into the mobile space, so a deal with T-Mobile or eventually, an outright purchase may be the most logical conclusion. I doubt the price tag would be as high the second time around, though.

Another realistic option is for Deutsche Telekom to sell off T-Mobile piecemeal: a few assets could go to AT&T, others to Verizon or Sprint and others to regional carriers like Leap. This approach would likely not be as lucrative as the outright purchase but it would produce some revenues.
Dish buying TMO would be an interesting development, but TMO selling off pieces would be quicker and have less regulatory involvement.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan to Bill Neilson

to Bill Neilson
I'm sure with 4 Billion less in the bank, it'll take a little bit longer...

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

1 recommendation

fatness

gambling losses are tax writeoffs?

quote:
AT&T will now have to pay T-Mobile owner Deutsche Telekom a $4 billion break up fee, which AT&T recently acknowledged will be closer to $1.4 billion after a tax write off.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

jchambers28

Premium Member

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Happy Happy Joy Joy Happy Happy Joy Joy

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· OD1N5lR4

jsinaiko
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL

jsinaiko

Premium Member

Woot!

Woot!

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to fatness

to fatness

Re: gambling losses are tax writeoffs?

This is a legitimate business expense, but even for you and me, gambling losses are a tax writeoff to the extent of our winnings.

NJxxxJon
2 0 1 7 Mmm Here We go man!
Premium Member
join:2005-10-22

NJxxxJon

Premium Member

Payphones

T-Mobile should buy ALL THE PAYPHONES and MAKE THEM touch screen HOT-SPOTS!!!!! FTW!

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to en103

Premium Member

to en103

Verizon is a winner as well. They will remain the largest wireless provider in the US.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Wasted time and $$

I wonder just how much AT&T spent on lawyers and paying educating politicians and charities to try and get their way. While wasting all this time and money, Verizon sneaks behind their back and sucks up tons of spectrum and looks to actually grow by growing instead of grow by buying.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to rit56

Premium Member

to rit56

Yes!!!!!
Gbcue

Gbcue

Premium Member

Google, PURCHASE THIS!

Buy it now before Apple does!
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

What metered billing victory?

In Canada -- maybe. But in US ATT's DSL is still metered and there's no victory in sight. Unfortunately

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Good

At least it will keep my Verizon rates from going up with increased competition. I keep begging my mother (who lives with me) to switch to Verizon, but she insists on staying with AT&T for her cellular needs. I have Verizon and I remind her who has a better signal (big red) when she drops calls or I have a signal and she does not. She still uses a basic phone (Samsung Rugby II) with no data plan other than texting so she can send picture messages. She gets 200 per month and I get 250 per month of text messages. At least big red is a little more generous with txt messages. I have the iPhone. She was a little angry when I decided to switch to Verizon because I broke apart a FamilyTalk plan on AT&T and gave her the remaining lines while I ported my line to Verizon. Now we have two cell bills instead of one.

Now she uses my phone when hers does not work. When the Nor'easter hit in October, causing widespread power outages in the New England area, AT&T's network went down and their coverage became spotty and unusable. My Verizon phone worked like it usually does and they even maintained full 4G LTE coverage so I was able to use my 4G Mobile Broadband card to connect to the internet when we were without power. My mother used my iPhone quite a bit during the power outage. I was able to charge it with the power from my aftermarket car stereo's USB connection, while mother charged her useless AT&T phone at the Holyoke Mall (which never lost power), and she was not the only one using the power outlets at Holyoke Mall to charge her phone. I was up in Maine when the storm struck (Grandma's house never lost power) but I came to Mass to assist my mother and I spent a couple of nights without power and ours came back on in a few days while many others went without a week.

I guess AT&T only has generators on a select few of their towers in each town (just enough to maintain basic, but unusable service) while Verizon has generators on ALL of their cell sites and maintained full service and coverage. Or maybe AT&T does not have generators and they deploy portable cell sites to disaster stricken areas.

AT&T also has poor coverage in many high traffic areas. Hampshire Mall in Hadley, MA is also an AT&T dead zone while VZ has full coverage throughout the mall. Also the southeast section of Springfield, MA (Sixteen acres area) is also very weak AT&T coverage. Also in areas that have spotty coverage on both VZ and AT&T; Verizon has a stronger and more usable signal. I'll be standing next to my mother at the Christmas Tree Shops at Holyoke Mall (which is spotty on both VZ and AT&T), I'll call her phone (with 1 bar of signal) and her phone will go straight to voicemail (typical when the phone has no signal). AC Moore at Holyoke Mall is also a dead zone.

no one
@comcast.net

no one

Anon

CEO

It must be nice to be a CEO and lets not forget the legal team who made a 4 BILLION DOLLAR MISTAKE. I wonder if I can get a job with them and make a 4 billion dollar mistake and say oh well......
Bet you he stays and the legal team is still used.

kara
@comcast.net

kara

Anon

Good Job

about time

rockhounds_5
Premium Member
join:2004-07-29
Lewisville, TX

rockhounds_5

Premium Member

How about this?

Turn off your phone, pick up a good book, and leave the digital age behind us. Maybe like some sort of Butlerian Jihad. My books have never failed me due to Nor'easters, clogged circuits, or silly phone issues. What is this: a smartphone in every pot? I saw an elderly lady at the store the other day trying to steer her cart and talk on her phone. Wasn't working well for her or the people in her way. Then on the next aisle, she was texting someone blocking traffic for other shoppers. Where were we before the smartphone came along? I suppose we are at a point now in our society where no one can do without a smartphone. We must have mobile broadband...we must have it now! Jaysus!
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to thegeek

to thegeek

I don't think Verizon Wireless was ever worried. I personally dislike VZW (more than AT&T Wireless actually ), so it doesn't make me feel much better (40% of VZW is actually not a 'home team', and 100% of T-Mobile ownership is not a home team).

rideboarder
welcome to the social
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Snohomish, WA

rideboarder to no one

Premium Member

to no one

Re: CEO

He will stay for sure, and he will probably get a huge bonus!
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno to en103

to en103

Well, I'm a current T-Mobile customer, both for prepaid cellular (they've got the best deal out there if you're an infrequent cell phone user) and prepaid mobile broadband (again, they have the best deal that actually delivers the goods--unlike VirginMobileUSA--at least for me), so I'm pretty psyched.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Extremely unfortunate

It is extremely unfortunate that the government has decided to give Verizon a de-facto monopoly on being the only top-tier carrier, and not allowing good, strong competition against them.

This is over-regulation at it's worst, since the US can not and will not support more than two or three world-class 4G networks. Now there are only plans for one.

Verizon should be happy with this, however, as they have now cemented themselves as the only top-tier carrier, effectively making a new tier above the current ones.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to rockhounds_5

Premium Member

to rockhounds_5

Re: How about this?

said by rockhounds_5:

Turn off your phone, pick up a good book, and leave the digital age behind us. Maybe like some sort of Butlerian Jihad. My books have never failed me due to Nor'easters, clogged circuits, or silly phone issues. What is this: a smartphone in every pot? I saw an elderly lady at the store the other day trying to steer her cart and talk on her phone. Wasn't working well for her or the people in her way. Then on the next aisle, she was texting someone blocking traffic for other shoppers. Where were we before the smartphone came along? I suppose we are at a point now in our society where no one can do without a smartphone. We must have mobile broadband...we must have it now! Jaysus!

There are nay-sayers to all changes in the way we live. (When POTS telephone service was becoming common, some people thought that it was a bad thing since it would decrease face-to-face conversations.)

Change is inevitable. There will always be those that try to hold onto the past kicking-and-screaming... remembering the "good old days" when life was simple and we didn't have cell phones, computers, electricity...etc.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

The merger in a few seconds..

Crash and burned for making bad choices.. fool us once with Bell South.. never get fooled again..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· E2cbplGc

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to en103

Premium Member

to en103

T-Mobile iPhone customers are getting a pretty good christmas present.

Reports are filing in that T-Mobile has activated 3g on the 1900mhz band in some areas.

more info here: »www.howardforums.com/sho ··· -HSPA-4G

(Mobile Network 260 is T-Mobile-USA)
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next