spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-19 18:29:26: AT&T today finally acknowledged the obvious: their highly controversial plan to acquire T-Mobile for $38 billion is officially dead. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1

Suck it att

Suck it real good losers! Jagoffs!
jumpinjustin

join:2011-05-09
Hazel Park, MI

Pass it on the the customers

The att customers will pay the 1.3 billions dollars for it.
Notice there will be an 2,000 dollar bill increase in ur monthly bill for ur U-verse branded DSL on steroids.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

At&t Giving D.T/Tmo US AWS in 128 CMA's & UMTS Roaming aggr

"As part of the break-up fee, T-Mobile USA will receive a large package of AWS mobile spectrum in 128 Cellular Market Areas (CMAs), including 12 of the top 20 markets (Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Washington, Boston, San Francisco, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Baltimore and Seattle)."
and
"The UMTS roaming agreement for the U.S. in T-Mobile USA’s favor has a term of over seven years and will allow the company to improve its footprint significantly among the U.S. population and offer its customers better broadband coverage for mobile communications services in the future. Population coverage will increase from 230 million potential customers at present to 280 million. As a result of the agreement with AT&T, coverage will be
extended to many regions of the U.S. in which T-Mobile USA reviously had neither its own high-speed mobile communications network nor the associated roaming agreements."

As a t-mobile customer, i can't wait for this added roaming to come into effect. Both my devices support HSPA+ on At&t and T-Mobile's network. (HSPA+ on 850/1900/aws/2100) so i can't wait! Nice!!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan
jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

Re: At&t Giving D.T/Tmo US AWS in 128 CMA's & UMTS Roaming aggr

yeah the total break up is close to $6b - $3b cash, $2b spectrum, $1b in roaming

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4

Granted the cash goes to D.T. (Im told for use in the U.K. Operations) the spectrum and roaming is nice though!

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

That works for me. T-Mobile USA needs spectrum to compete more than it needs the cash. Throw in the roaming agreement onto ATT's 3g network, and suddenly ATT looks a helluva lot less attractive to T-Mobile customers.

And now there's evidence that T-Mobile has already begun refarming its PCS 2g network and deploying a carrier of UMTS in many areas. Those millions of customers with 3g iPhones will soon have access to T-Mobile 3g nationwide.

Things couldn't look any better for T-Mobile customers right now. I'm sure happy.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara
underthehood
Premium
join:2006-01-04

Too Bad

It really is too bad. T-Mobile will survive for now but the truth is Dueutche Telekom wants out of the US so it will go away. SO the sad thing is it will proly go away to a CDMA carrier like Sprint and than the GSM footprint will not expand as it should here.
Verizon is nothing but a cobbled up bunch of carriers, Sprint took up Nextel, I fail to see the "victory" here. When T-Mo goes current customers will be left in the lurch with no carrier and needing to buy new phones. Yeah sure that is victory.........................RIGHT

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Re: Too Bad

I had T-Mobile for a couple years and they were WAY better than Verizon in my neck of the woods.

Not enough coverage around here for me to have ever even thought of AT&T for anything, but the people I know who do have AT&T, every one of them say how bad it sucks!

My wish is that T-Mobile sticks around as it currently is, or grows itself, in case I ever decide to leave Boost Mobile, which isn't happening anytime soon. T-Mobile is easily my second best option here.

Sure am glad this deal didn't go through though as even a blind person could see how bad this was!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

I call BS

this is very one sided, anti-AT&T. Nothing really to learn here. To pretend this is some kind of victory for something is really not a thoughtful position.

See the CNET story for an actual perspective on what happened.

The unintended consequence of this anti-AT&T jihad is that T-Mobile has been thrown under the bus. They will never get as good a deal as what AT&T was giving them.

AT&T and Verizon are going to dominate the US wireless market over time. There's no stopping it. Verizon was actually ahead strategically by betting their chips on an LTE leap forward and by their multi billion dollar spectrum buy, and are now further ahead. Spiking the AT&T-TMobile deal is not going to increase competitiveness, pretending T-Mobile can survive on its own is fantasy.

Be careful what you wish for. Do you really want Verizon (the mirror image of AT&T) to be dominant?

grunt

@charter.com

Re: I call BS

Who really loses is the lowly middle management people at AT&T, since now I imagine next week AT&T will announce that there will be no bonuses or raises for next year do to this merger failing.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium
Austin, TX
Here's another article with an actual business-oriented view on the situation.

Ironically, regulators and "progressives" who think that by killing these deals they are "increasing competitiveness" are actually most likely reducing it, and also reducing the services the big wireless companies are able to provide.

Look, it's the way of a free market. As a category matures, there is consolidation, especially when there is a high capital expense required to offer a service. It's actually better to let the market figure stuff out than try to centrally plan it. Central planning and regulation just slows things down and makes companies focus on things other than actually competing.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium
Austin, TX

Re: I call BS

Yet another article from a business publication pointing out the futility of trying to regulate your way into having 3 or 4 viable wireless providers in the USA.

Verizon + AT&T is inevitable. The regulators are stupid (I can think of no better word) to think that by nipping away at them via challenges to their spectrum acquisitions, they can somehow change the way the market is consolidating. All they are really doing is getting in the way of innovation and progress.

They'd be better to simply ensure that neither gets a chokehold on the other and allow them to battle it out in the marketplace.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8

4 bllion could have been spent ...

THE $4B could have been spent on building out their network and on rural broadband they have been promising over the years.
--
Follow your dreams, except the one where you're naked in church.
Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA

Re: 4 bllion could have been spent ...

I agree, I sure wish at&t gets their act together, but that's not going to happen in this lifetime.

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

Well I am glad

I didn't and don't want to deal with the death star.

if either of the two companies alone can't make it than the other can buy on the auction block.

the idea that any company with $32bln/quarter in revenue doesn't have options outside of buying into a monopoly position. as mentioned above $38bln would build out a lot of towers and infrastructure. or even better pay down almost half of at&t's repoprted 70bln debt load.

yeah i am armchairing this no i don't have anymore knowledge on the subject than most. on the surface this looks and sounded like a solution to a manufactured problem. kinda like the exa flood thing.
--
my site