dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-20 09:12:12: You'll recall that back in 2008 Bell started throttling the bandwidth delivered to wholesale customers without telling them about it. While Bell insisted the move was due to network congestion, they were never able to prove the congestion existed. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Hum...

So maybe there was some truth to why they thought they needed to throttle customers.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

1 recommendation

amungus

Premium Member

simple

Um, "massive investments" happen ALL THE TIME in the telco/ISP business. It's part of, um, you know, business. I'm glad our friendly neighbors to the north have one less thing to worry about, it's at least a step in the right direction. I still feel sorry for those with absurdly low caps though (including some here in the U.S.)
LINCSAT
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

LINCSAT

Premium Member

Smoke & Mirrors
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to battleop

to battleop

Re: Hum...

said by battleop:

So maybe there was some truth to why they thought they needed to throttle customers.

Have you ever heard of investments? Every company does it. If you have a lot of competitors in the marketplace, then you do it to stay alive and you don't pass on all of it to your customers. When you have a captive market, you don't have to do much investing and when you do you can pass the entire cost of it plus a little more down.

Teleco/cablecos are the captive market types of business and they sure don't like competition. If Bell had to throttle customers, that means that they didn't invest enough into their business. But it turns out they were basically lieing, since they couldn't prove their points.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to battleop

to battleop
I'm in shock. A company admits they no longer need throttling because they've made investments?

Other companies could learn from this....

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

Yes, it was a well known fact Bell didn't feel the need to invest at all until the UBB decision didn't go 100% in their favor.

Funny how that works.

The North American Incumbents are pathetic.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight
said by PapaMidnight:

I'm in shock. A company admits they no longer need throttling because they've made investments?

Other companies could learn from this....

The problem with this shell game (and that's all it is) is that we'll never see any proof of if Bell has actually spent a single dime dealing with "network congestion" versus spending the monies on things like ads trying to convince us that Bell is better than the other large incumbent.

NefCanuck

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

There obviously wasn't.
quote:
You'll recall that back in 2008 Bell started throttling the bandwidth delivered to wholesale customers without telling them about it. While Bell insisted the move was due to network congestion, they were never able to prove the congestion existed.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

Congestion... Bah!

Even if congestion was true, Bhell's decision to throttle rather than upscale their networks is bizarre. How can you possibly suggest to offer state of the art networks when you throttle the Hell out of downloads. Their kooky idea didn't work and it cost them many customers in the end.

The regulator needs to keep it's thumb on Bhell. They can't be trusted.

blueeyesm
join:2003-09-05
Waterloo, ON

blueeyesm

Said thumb is made of ex-Bell (and Rogers) execs.

battleop

battleop to NefCanuck

to NefCanuck

I would say that they are doing away with caps is some sort of proof that have spent a few dimes.
fixitman0
join:2005-10-27
Rockford, IL

fixitman0

Are the caps gone?

Does this mean that the 150GB (DSL) and 250GB (U-Verse)monthly caps for home users is now gone? Do I no longer have to worry about going over my limit when watching Netfix?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to battleop

to battleop

said by battleop:

What part of "Bell was never able to prove to regulators Congestion made their throttling necessary" did you not understand?

Your bizarre fetishistic worship of corporations shames the names of Tom and Jerry.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to fixitman0

Premium Member

to fixitman0

Re: Are the caps gone?

said by fixitman0:

Does this mean that the 150GB (DSL) and 250GB (U-Verse)monthly caps for home users is now gone? Do I no longer have to worry about going over my limit when watching Netfix?

no. theres still legacy video revenues to protect. don't cut that cord yet!
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to fixitman0

to fixitman0
No need to get carried away

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

Bell has saved us!!

From the evil P2P users and throttling with their loving investments in their network!!!

Thank you Bell!!!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

KrK to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

No, It was the hue and cry and attention of the regulators that got them to back down.

They were throttling competitor's lines, deliberately in an anti-competitive move. Bandwidth had nothing to do with it. When that got rolled back, they realized that now they'd have to compete or face mass exodus of their customers to the unthrottled competition---- which was the whole reason they throttled them in the first place, so that they WOULDN'T lose customers.

Now they have to back off. They still got a huge win in very bad UBB rates however.

Mr Chulacha
@bell.ca

Mr Chulacha

Anon

MLPPP

pffttt... no diff for me... I'm still going to keep my MLPPP service with Teksavvy.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

They are not removing caps,just throttling
andyb

andyb to fixitman0

Premium Member

to fixitman0

Re: Are the caps gone?

Nothing to do with US ISP's

battleop

1 recommendation

battleop to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin

Since you fail to understand basic English let me help you out....

I did not say "So there was truth to why they thought they needed to throttle customers." I am suggesting that there may have been some reasons why they were throttling users and now that they have done some upgrades they do not see a reason to continue throttling.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

Re: simple

said by amungus:

Um, "massive investments" happen ALL THE TIME in the telco/ISP business. It's part of, um, you know, business. I'm glad our friendly neighbors to the north have one less thing to worry about, it's at least a step in the right direction. I still feel sorry for those with absurdly low caps though (including some here in the U.S.)

Can anyone say MLSE (Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment).

dsoegiarto
join:2010-04-16
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

BS

Bull-shit.

The primary driver is because they kept losing direct consumers as people kept switching to cable or indie ISPs.
smokemonster
Premium Member
join:2011-02-10

smokemonster

Premium Member

Absolutely. That and the fact they are STILL trying to cram a reliable Internet signal onto 19th century technology - telephone copper pairs. I love seeing these massive telecom companies crying foul on our usage patterns, while simultaneously claiming to have the best, most reliable networks. Then they QQ about having to carry data from Netflix and other streaming services...
Jack17
join:2008-08-25
Sherbrooke, QC

Jack17

Investment...

"claiming that the shift is thanks to their "massive investment" in infrastructure"

So let me translate that to : we invest a few thousand box here and there put some ducktape to fix the box now we are good to go...
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
·TELUS

Gardener to smokemonster

Premium Member

to smokemonster

Re: BS

said by smokemonster:

Absolutely. That and the fact they are STILL trying to cram a reliable Internet signal onto 19th century technology - telephone copper pairs.

Um - twisted pair does work, y'know; gigabit around the home, and 25 Mbit down the phone line. But perhaps that is not fast enough for you.

ChucksTruck
@teksavvy.com

ChucksTruck

Anon

Bell has lost so many subscribers to cable internet that...

They don't want to lose all of them. Yet at the present moment more than 99 percent of all dsl subscribers whether it be the ones with Bell Sympatico or all the ones with the third party isp's all are still being throttling. Only a select few on fibe aren't being throttled and a few sparse cities with no population in the middle of nowhere.
ChucksTruck

ChucksTruck to andyb

Anon

to andyb

Bell also raised the overuse fee effective January 2012 to 80 dollars maximum from 60. That also may have had something to do with getting rid of throttling.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to ChucksTruck

Premium Member

to ChucksTruck

Re: Bell has lost so many subscribers to cable internet that...

Better to lose many low paying Cx's, than the one's that shell out big $$$. It decreases all that congestion, ya know. And, still provides the same revenue.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

1 edit

DataRiker to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

said by battleop:

Since you fail to understand basic English let me help you out....

I did not say "So there was truth to why they thought they needed to throttle customers." I am suggesting that there may have been some reasons why they were throttling users and now that they have done some upgrades they do not see a reason to continue throttling.

Nope.

Look up the UBB - CRTC debacle. They were called out by consumer advocates, journalists, customers, and even the CRTC to provide evidence for over a year. It never happened.
page: 1 · 2 · next