dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-20 12:47:27: Now that the AT&T deal is officially dead (unless they refile a new deal next year) T-Mobile's talking a little bit about that $4 billion consolation package they'll get from AT&T. ..

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

toby

NO tax deductions ever

"Uncle Sam will pick up part of the tab courtesy of tax deductions"

Another reason why no company or person should be allowed tax deductions of any kind, ever.

Then we shall see what true taxes are being paid, until then we shall never know.

Just creates corruption and cheating on taxes.
LostInWoods
join:2004-04-14

LostInWoods

Re: NO tax deductions ever

This is an inane comment. What AT&T deducts, DT adds as income. I don't know how the international aspect of that plays out, but in general one entity's deduction is another's income, so that income is only taxed once. Home mortgage interest deducted by individuals is income to the mortgage provider.

Perhaps you'd prefer the simplest tax form of all, in 2 steps:
1) How much do you make?
2) Send it all in.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by LostInWoods:

This is an inane comment.

From AT&T? How could that be? Are you saying that they are trying to sell people on lies that are so obvious no one will believe them?

No... not AT&T.

It's simply AT&T trying to make it look like they are not the joke that they are.

I'm sure AT&T will start to tell people that the failed take over will actually help them and benefit all AT&T customers.

aelfwyne
join:2004-01-28
Houston, TX

aelfwyne to LostInWoods

to LostInWoods
I think it should be pointed out that even if the DT income is taxed, it won't be taxed by the United States, but rather by Germany. Since the profits clearly are being paid to DT not to T-Mobile U.S.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to LostInWoods

to LostInWoods
said by LostInWoods:

This is an inane comment. What AT&T deducts, DT adds as income. I don't know how the international aspect of that plays out, but in general one entity's deduction is another's income, so that income is only taxed once. Home mortgage interest deducted by individuals is income to the mortgage provider.

Perhaps you'd prefer the simplest tax form of all, in 2 steps:
1) How much do you make?
2) Send it all in.

I'm afraid you fell for it.

Here is an example.

You make $1, you pay 25% taxes, you pay 25 cent taxes.

You make $1, you pay 35% taxes minus a special offer of 10% bonus bargain tax break just for you, you pay 25 cents.

See the difference? There isn't any.

Think of that 2nd problem multiplied by a bzillion crooked special bargains.

Keep it simple, keep it fair.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to toby

Premium Member

to toby
said by toby:

Another reason why no company or person should be allowed tax deductions of any kind, ever.

So you don't even claim your standard deduction? Without a total rewrite of our tax code, your wish simply isn't feasible.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by openbox9:

said by toby:

So you don't even claim your standard deduction? Without a total rewrite of our tax code, your wish simply isn't feasible.

10% flat tax. No deductions no credits, pay as you go.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

That's a good first step, but the main problem is that like the current income tax it exempts people who don't report their income or who work under the table. I'd rather go with the FairTax or some other kind of national retail non-VAT sales tax... best part is everyone will pay something.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

said by pnh102:

said by fifty nine:

That's a good first step, but the main problem is that like the current income tax it exempts people who don't report their income or who work under the table. I'd rather go with the FairTax or some other kind of national retail non-VAT sales tax... best part is everyone will pay something.

issue with taxes like that is it makes every thing cost for for people on fixed incomes that were non-taxable in the first place
unless you plan to some how give these people more money in the first place

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by openbox9:

said by toby:

Is this just the Federal Tax Rate, or are you including all Federally Mandated Taxes like FICA (Social Security) and Medicare?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Make it around 20-25% and you could actually pay for what we have now and start to pay down (slowly) what we already spent.
let's allow 1 deduction, say $10-15k per person basic deduction, so a family of 4 gets the first $40-60 tax free, and flat rate on everything else
We would still be paying far less than the rest of the western world, and most would be far better off.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to toby

Premium Member

to toby
said by toby:

So you take no tax deductions at all, ever, for yourself, right?

And tax deductions are not the government paying for something, they are less money that is earned by someone that is going to the government. Saying anything else is a lie.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo to toby

to toby
I think companies and corporations should never be taxed for anything, i.e., 0% tax rate. No rebates or deductions -- just no tax, period.

Only real people should be taxed, either through a nationwide sales tax that entirely replaces the personal income tax, or via other person-paid taxes.

After all, companies and corporations are just names and legal creations -- they themselves use no resources. They're packaging, only. It is their executives, shareholders, officers and employees that actually use the resources. Introducing taxation to a company merely makes lopsided complex inefficient and overburdened taxation applied very unequally to the affected people, and hinders proper market forces and corporate morals. E.g., it is more advantageous for a corporation to become behemothly large to reduce the number of "packages" (companies/corporations) involved to reduce the number of tax targets, in order to reduce the tax toll, but that largeness creates inefficiencies and immorality. (Those two things would also be caused by many small companies, but at least a non-taxed large number of companies doesn't create artificial immorality like the large companies, that themselves are being subsidized via taxation of companies.)
Automate
join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

Automate

$4 billion -> 1.4 billion after taxes?

How does $4 billion turn into $1.4 billion after taxes? That would imply a tax rate of around 65%
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: $4 billion -> 1.4 billion after taxes?

It's a guess. Nothing will be official until the taxman is paid and the auditors are happy.
said by UBS AG :

Analysts at UBS AG did the math. Their take: The cash hit of the breakup fee after taxes would be $1.5 billion to $1.8 billion — as little as half of AT&T’s cash payment to Deutsche Telekom.

tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to Automate

Premium Member

to Automate
It's the same math they used when the merger would create 5000 jobs and give them the spectrum AT&T could not live without. Now the merger failure is only really going to cost 1.4 billion. But On top of that you and I are going to pay the difference.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

Just because you don't understand something (made obvious by your comments in this thread) doesn't make it evil.

Taking this loss reduces the taxes AT&T would have paid on their operating profit.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I can read.. but I can also understand a spin. If ATT pays TM 3 billion, TM still makes 3 billion. Its simple math. If ATT can than write off that 3 billion, great for them. But that _payment_ was still 3 billion. Easy enough to read?
kram1984j
join:2009-12-06

kram1984j to Automate

to Automate
They're taking a deduction of the value of the spectrum transferred and thus getting tax credit based on that value, and then when saying only $1.4B after taxes they're conveniently referring to the spectrum as $0 cost so that their losses seem tinier. So, it seems more like somewhere around 25% tax rate with $4B deductions, and subtract that from the cash-only portion and you get $1.4B.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by kram1984j:

they're conveniently referring to the spectrum as $0 cost so that their losses seem tinier.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a standard accounting practice not to include costs/expenses that were realized in previous quarters.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

TMO & Sprint??

I just can't see Sprint merging with TMO. Sprint can barely deal with their own LTE conversion and infrastructure upgrade and with all the issues around Clearwire and Lightsquared. And they have totally tapped out their financing avenues.

But what could be possible is a spectrum sharing deal, if TMO can get the money together somewhere to start their own conversion to LTE.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: TMO & Sprint??

said by FFH5:

And they have totally tapped out their financing avenues.

Bingo. Sprint will be lucky to survive its current financial situation, let alone be in a position to do any M&A.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Yeah, and at least T-Mo has some concept of what they're doing for their network. HSPA+ 42 has a lot of life in it, and where they have coverage (i.e. not many places), their network is legitimately amazing. Sprint, not so much. They don't really have any idea of what they are doing. They were goofing around with Clearwire, and now they have some half-baked LTE plan with maybe SMR CDMA or something, who knows.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I just can't see Sprint merging with TMO. Sprint can barely deal with their own LTE conversion and infrastructure upgrade and with all the issues around Clearwire and Lightsquared. And they have totally tapped out their financing avenues.

But what could be possible is a spectrum sharing deal, if TMO can get the money together somewhere to start their own conversion to LTE.

Not to mention Sprint just spent $20 billion on iPhones. Why the devil would they spend another $20 billion+ on a completely incompatible network?

In fact where in the world would they get that money from?

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by sonicmerlin:

Not to mention Sprint just spent $20 billion on iPhones. Why the devil would they spend another $20 billion+ on a completely incompatible network?

They did it before with Nextel...

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller

yeah we see how well that worked out.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

There is a key word you used that could make this possible, merge. So many people are focused on a Sprint buyout of T-Mobile, but a merger with Sprint as the managing entity is completely possible.

I agree that Sprint is unlikely to find the capital for a buyout of T-Mobile outright, and/or vice-versa.

aelfwyne
join:2004-01-28
Houston, TX

aelfwyne

That doesn't preclude the "merger of equals" option in which a stock swap is made by each side.

thomas2011
@comcast.net

thomas2011

Anon

will t-mobile customer now be able to use AT&T radio bands?

it will be awesome if t-mobile customer will be able to roam onto AT&T 3G radio bands. the second hand market is flooded with bargain priced AT&T phones which can easily be unlocked. there are far fewer nice t-mob phones available at decent prices.

another question if whether t-mobile MVNO's will also have access to the roaming?

simple mobile and/or walmart family talk with full at&t coverage would be awesome.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Re: will t-mobile customer now be able to use AT&T radio bands?

And the iPhone, can't forget about that.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to thomas2011

to thomas2011
said by thomas2011 :

another question if whether t-mobile MVNO's will also have access to the roaming?

I can answer that without needing my crystal ball... NO
Its already been stated by both parties MVNO will still only have coverage to Native T-mobile towers.

"As it was before, As it is now, So shall it be in the future."

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

UMTS Roaming

The UMTS roaming has interesting implications, especially for folks with iPhone's who cannot currently use 3G with T-Mobile due to lack of 1700MHz support. Also, it is interesting to note that some people (as noted in the T-Mobile forum on this site) are seeing T-Mobile 3G service appear on 1900MHz in some markets. Perhaps T-Mobile has been anticipating the implosion of this deal and started making adjustments to their network to be more compatible with AT&T.
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Re: UMTS Roaming

said by n2jtx:

The UMTS roaming has interesting implications, especially for folks with iPhone's who cannot currently use 3G with T-Mobile due to lack of 1700MHz support. Also, it is interesting to note that some people (as noted in the T-Mobile forum on this site) are seeing T-Mobile 3G service appear on 1900MHz in some markets. Perhaps T-Mobile has been anticipating the implosion of this deal and started making adjustments to their network to be more compatible with AT&T.

Seeing service is likely due to roaming agreements. It's a HUGE boon to T-Mobile, as people with iPhones can now gain access to T-Mobile's awesome plans and 3G network.
WiWavelength
join:2011-11-16
Lawrence, KS

WiWavelength

Re: UMTS Roaming

said by sonicmerlin:

Seeing service is likely due to roaming agreements.

No. This is native T-Mobile W-CDMA 1900. In some markets where it has PCS bandwidth of 30-40 MHz, T-Mobile is taking 10 MHz of GSM 1900 capacity out of service and "refarming" that PCS 1900 MHz spectrum for W-CDMA 1900 (i.e. W-CDMA band class 2), which is compatible with several T-Mobile devices released this year, as well as all 3G capable iPhone models.

AJ
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Will it be enough?

I don't know, but I must point out here that many of T-Mobile's problems are of its own making, and, IMHO, Sprint shares the same issues. Still, I'll only pick on T-Mo for the moment.

The main problem, IMHO, is that DT never grew T-Mobile out past the cities and interstates. The United States is a huge country with many rural areas, and even city dwellers travel to these areas, and many also have relatives there. That presents two problems. First, no one wants a carrier that only works in some of the places they regularly visit. Second, many families and groups of friends migrate to the same carrier to take advantage of mobile-to-mobile calling. Therefore, if only part of a family can use T-Mobile, while the entire family can use Verizon, then Verizon has an advantage in getting their business.

T-Mobile could have corrected this in one of two ways, either by building their own network or buying other carriers. They've done neither. They could have gone after CenturyTel, Western Wireless, Alltel, or several others that have been gobbled up. And I suspect the reason they didn't is because these were carriers that used both 850 and 1900, and, for whatever stupid reason, both T-Mobile and Sprint seem incapable of grasping the concept that they need spectrum in the 850 band, especially in rural areas and for good in-building service.

So these two carriers have hit a natural barrier to their continued growth, something they seem to not realize. The model of an urban-only carrier might work in some countries, but it doesn't work here. Sorry guys, but if you want to be a big player, you need a big network. Sure, t costs more to operate, and your rates may have to go up, but if you can overcome the urge to be as greedy as AT&T and Verizon, you'll still get plenty of business.
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Re: Will it be enough?

Before AT&T announced their merger T-Mobile had revealed network expansion plans to its shareholders. Its goal was to create a Verizon-size network. This was enabled by Deutsche Telekom announcing they would allow T-Mobile USA to operate independently, including reinvesting all US based profits back into their network rather than draining the US subsidiary of its profits.

AT&T obviously did its part to harm T-Mobile's future plans, but the new spectrum and roaming agreements will do a lot to stabilize the company's finances until they can set up a real 4G network.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: Will it be enough?

I can't see T-Mo ever becoming a viable third competitor in the US market. They have the low-band problem, and then they have a fairly small coverage area.

They have, however, built out a LOT of sites within their coverage area, in many areas denser than anyone else.

If they somehow managed to pull off a Verizon-sized network with HSPA+ 42 plus wifi calling it would be pretty freaking awesome.

mikesterr
join:2008-04-18
Sanford, FL

mikesterr

I don't understand this though

I don't get why AT&T would agree to pay 4 billion if the deal falls apart. I understand some insurance maybe a little some legal fees and some other things that AT&T should pay for I get that. But 4 billion. that's crazy. I mean I don't walk into a Store and say I want to buy this but if I don't I still owe you 10% of the price i was going to pay. That's just stupid, and AT&T gets Nothing for that 4 billion. Talk about having money to throw away.

••••

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Time for the iPhone....

Perfect time for Apple to swoop in with the iPhone....

Please do it Apple.

•••

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

Going zombie?

Layy Dignanat at Zdnet has a diffrent view
"The most likely scenario for T-Mobile is that it becomes a zombie carrier. It lacks the heft to compete with its largest rivals."

"The scenarios go like this:

•T-Mobile will continue to be a fourth rate carrier that lacks Apple’s iPhone. The faux 4G pitch will eventually wear thin for T-Mobile.
•T-Mobile will wither away over time without AT&T. It’s possible that T-Mobile becomes a zombie carrier that can’t be overly aggressive because it lacks the spectrum on its network.
•Financial engineering—joint ventures, a T-Mobile IPO and other changes—will be attempted so Deutsche Telekom can get it U.S. carrier off its books.
•Consumers are likely to see T-Mobile suffer from a lack of investment going forward.
In other words, the Federal Communications Commission and Department of Justice wanted a No. 4 wireless carrier in markets so bad that it was ready to risk potentially killing one to make a point."

Forget about Sprint; the FCC and Justice department’s message just made T-Mobile toxic. There is a lesson in all this, messing with the free market leaves us with sub-par service.
WiWavelength
join:2011-11-16
Lawrence, KS

WiWavelength

Re: Going zombie?

said by Scatcatpdx:

Forget about Sprint; the FCC and Justice department’s message just made T-Mobile toxic. There is a lesson in all this, messing with the free market leaves us with sub-par service.

The Dignan blog and your post are both ideological screeds, seemingly designed to fit your delusions about the so called "free market," which the wireless industry never has been and never can be, as the laws of physics create inexorable barriers to entry.

T-Mobile is the proverbial "canary in the coal mine." If it is unequivocally doomed to become a "zombie carrier," then that is symptomatic of serious anti competitive illness within the wireless industry. In such case, you do not kill off the patient by handing T-Mobile over to AT&T. No, you treat the illness. And the anti competitive practices of VZW and AT&T are the illness.

AJ
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

T-mobile Get's Roaming, but what does AT&T get...

Roaming agreements are sometimes a two way street..

Will AT&T customers get access to portions of T-mobile's HSPA+ network? Don't be too surprised...

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 recommendation

MovieLover76

Re: T-mobile Get's Roaming, but what does AT&T get...

I for one think the roaming agreements could really strenghten t-mobile not ever cares about crazy fast 4G speeds, the average t-mobile customer is looking for value, if they live in a city that is well served by t-mobile and can still get service in the sticks thanks to roaming agreements, you've just killed the #1 problem that most people have with t-mobile, which isn't their lack of true 4G, but lack of coverage in places.

I'm not saying t-mobile is going to do wonderful now, but they may surprise us and I think their is a lot of people spouting doom and gloom for t-mobile because they had government regulation even when it's good for the consumer
*cough* Republicans *cough*
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to tkdslr

to tkdslr
said by tkdslr:

Roaming agreements are sometimes a two way street..

Will AT&T customers get access to portions of T-mobile's HSPA+ network? Don't be too surprised...

Many roaming agreements are reciprocal, but I doubt this one will be, since it was part of a package that T-Mobile would get if the deal fell through.

As for AT&T getting access to T-Mobile's HSPA+ network, that will only work for phones that can use AWS, and none of AT&T's current handsets can do that.

Andrew
@charter.com

Andrew

Anon

Gave up spectrum? Affect on AT&T's network load... ?

I'm a little worried about "As part of the break-up fee, T-Mobile USA will receive a large package of AWS mobile spectrum in 128 Cellular Market Areas (CMAs), including 12 of the top 20 markets". Did AT&T really have that much spectrum (worth what, 1 billion or something?) laying around not being used or planned to be used for expansion or LTE?! I can't picture this NOT affecting AT&T somehow, either having to buy it back from someone else or having to cram more devices on less spectrum. I'll be pissed if the axing of this deal actually slows down LTE deployment for AT&T users or hurts coverage/service capacity!

I can understand handing over the cash and forced agreements to share cells but to hand away the main thing which makes wireless work, that kinda pisses me off. Unless it honestly was just sitting around not getting used to planned for future roll out.

•••

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

Is Sprint Even Likely?

I have to ask as considering Sprint's cost in upgrading it's own network and the fact that it does not use a GSM network like T-Mobile does, the cost here seem to outweigh the likely benefit of acquisition.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

Re: Is Sprint Even Likely?

said by PapaMidnight:

I have to ask as considering Sprint's cost in upgrading it's own network and the fact that it does not use a GSM network like T-Mobile does, the cost here seem to outweigh the likely benefit of acquisition.

GSM at the moment for Sprint would be a middling technology. Yes it would be incompatible. It would also mean that it would have to be run as a separate entity. That being said, if this were to happen. You would have sprint do a freeze on new gsm phones. Any of the phones Tmo would sell would be on Sprints new LTE network. This way as contracts end and people get new phones. they would all be on a unified standard. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it would make the most sense.

Andrew
@charter.com

Andrew

Anon

Re: Is Sprint Even Likely?

When did we start talking about Nextel... oh wait...
catbrat909
join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

T Mobile benefits from failed merger

T Mobile looks like they will be in a strong postion to improve their network with the cash and spectrum they will get. They also will get beter roaming coverage with at&t.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

If DT does not want to keep T-Mobile

If DT does not want to keep T-Mobile, then they should just split it off into an independent company. Motorola just split into two companies, one is Motorola Solutions (Police Radios, Barcode Scanners, and Handheld computers) and Motorola Mobility (Set-Top Boxes, Cell Phones, and Cable Modems).

A spin-off of T-Mobile would be better than merging with AT&T.
05678973 (banned)
join:2011-11-30
Cottontown, TN

05678973 (banned)

T-mobile sucks

Im surprised at&t would buy this company but now that the deal is dead t-mobile is history just like cricket and metropcs.....small companies can NOT compete in the 4g wireless world!!!!!!!!!!
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead

Premium Member

Re: T-mobile sucks

I actually think T-Mobile will be in a better position long term than Sprint. This whole merger failure could end up being the deal of the decade for TM

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

The gamble paid off.

With more AWS spectrum and a 7 year UMTS roaming deal, looks like it might be enough to stay in the game. At least for another 7 years. T-Mobile already has a good size network. »www.t-mobiletowers.com/T ··· rch.aspx

T-Mobile introduced a $30 Unlimited plan to increase new activations. This will be a game changer.

$30 monthly prepaid
5gb 3G/4G
unlimited 2G
100 voice, then 10 cents a min
unlimited MMS

My Samsung Exhibit II 4G Tri-Band UMTS phone will be here tomorrow!