spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-23 08:49:18: While AT&T may not have gotten what they really wanted from Santa, the company got a fairly decent consolation prize in that the FCC has approved their acquisition of spectrum formerly held by Qualcomm. The $1. ..

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

And good for AT&T the spectrum is in 700 mhz band

What did AT&T get?

One slice of nationwide spectrum — the former UHF channel 55(716-722 MHz).

Former UHF channel 56(722-728 MHz) over New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.

That is 6 mhz worth of spectrum nationally in 700 mhz band, and an additional 6 mhz in the major cities listed above.

Should help AT&T's LTE rollout.
--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Used to be MediaFLO spectrum

That's why it sounds so familiar.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to FFH

Re: And good for AT&T the spectrum is in 700 mhz band

Do you have details on the conditions attached to the approval? The article just glances over it.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

said by Zoder:

Do you have details on the conditions attached to the approval? The article just glances over it.

See this FCC link:
»transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Release···88A1.pdf
Paragraphs 61 to about 70 highlight imposed conditions.

And some more easily readable comments on imposed conditions are found in Copps dissent from the FCC approval of this deal:
»transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Release···88A2.pdf

A news item that explains conditions more fully:
»www.fiercewireless.com/story/fcc···11-12-23

--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

I LOL'ed at that.
--
My Blog 2.2

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Thanks. I was interested in the device interoperability and I see they are going to save that for an industry wide rule making next quarter.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Is AT&T actually doing anything?
Seems like they got up to 15 LTE cities and quit...

Verizon's so far ahead of them, it's pathetic....

georgeglass5

join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

The stipulation should read:

Use it or lose it, you have 12 months to use it all up in the noted cities. There will be "NO" sitting / squatting on frequency spectrums, period.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to fifty nine

Re: Used to be MediaFLO spectrum

said by fifty nine:

That's why it sounds so familiar.

Yes indeed. WLNY-TV channel 55 here on Long Island switched off their analog signal several years early in order for Qualcomm to get their service off the ground. That is the first time I had heard about MediaFLO.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to georgeglass5

Re: The stipulation should read:

said by georgeglass5:

Use it or lose it, you have 12 months to use it all up in the noted cities. There will be "NO" sitting / squatting on frequency spectrums, period.

I'd go one better.. they have to pay a NON-USE fee so it becomes UNPROFITABLE TO SQUAT ON SPECTRUM. These three options: sell it (permanently), give it back, or pay up.. and no slick loopholes with front companies to slosh around the bandwidth. Nevertheless, this would apply to ALL wireless providers.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

Like they didn't have enough. . . . .

YAY more spectrum to squat on!

ackman

join:2000-10-04
Atlanta, GA

Nice

This "job creator" just seems to have billions of dollars burning a hole in their pocket. Can they bring some jobs back from overseas with some of that spare cash? Or maybe give some of their part-time workers health insurance benefits?

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

How?

How are they going to use this unpaired spectrum to roll out LTE? They're saying it will help with the downlink, but what are they going to do for the uplink?

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: And good for AT&T the spectrum is in 700 mhz band

Word has it, SoCal (large area) has LTE, as well as SF and many other areas - but are not 'LIVE'.

WiWavelength

join:2011-11-16
Lawrence, KS
reply to BiggA

Re: How?

said by BiggA:

How are they going to use this unpaired spectrum to roll out LTE? They're saying it will help with the downlink, but what are they going to do for the uplink?

Yes, the former Qualcomm Lower 700 MHz D/E block 6 MHz licenses are unpaired spectrum. AT&T will not be able to utilize that spectrum until LTE-Advanced supplemental downlink carrier aggregation technology becomes a commercial reality. Supplemental downlink will aggregate a 5 MHz downlink carrier in D/E block spectrum with a preexisting 5 MHz x 5 MHz (or 10 MHz x 10 MHz) uplink and downlink in traditional paired spectrum (e.g. Lower 700 MHz A/B/C block, Cellular A/B block, etc.).

AJ