spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-29 14:39:30: For more than a year we've noted that with the exception of markets that have signed franchise obligations (New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia), Verizon's fiber to the home FiOS build is essentially over. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Same old Crappola!

said by Mr Matt:

I understand that U-Verse and FiOS have similar restrictions as to the number channels that the subscriber can view through one drop at one time.

I'd think the limit for FIOS was the number of STB's. All the video just flows through the ONT to the house coax.

U-Verse is a horse of a different color.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
I wish FIOS would expand ;/
I want epic pings in teh gaimz.

TazExprez

join:2002-04-27
Yonkers, NY
reply to Mr Matt
I currently have 6 7100.1 HD boxes and 1 7232.2 HD multi-room DVR connected to 7 HD TV's & 1 HD projector. I can watch all of the TV's & projector together with HD content if I want to.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to Bill Neilson

Re: Anyone see the letter that Verizon wrote back

The only rationalization required is for investors and regulators. Sad truth for consumers, but it is reality.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to JasonOD

Re: FIOS was never going to be pofitable for most.....

said by JasonOD :

of their customer footprint. How could it be, even DSL over existing copper isn't profitable or even available in all areas. Whether or not they had to 'give up FIOS' as part of the LTE deal with cableco's, VZ didn't give up anything they hadn't already planned.

FIOS is plenty profitable mr. troll.

sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH
reply to MovieLover76

Re: This is all theoretical

How do you know their market penetration was too low? They've maintained or increased landline subscriptions despite hemorrhaging DSL subscribers to cable.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to fifty nine

Re: Not VZ, but someone else?

said by fifty nine:

. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

Your right there. I guess I'm just bitter with a 1mbps upload from Service Electric. That's nice you get 5mbps. I'd have to DOUBLE my monthly bill to upgrade to 5mbps upload. (In excess of $100 a month).

sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH
reply to chgo_man99

Re: US as top wireless dog

said by chgo_man99:

The effect of those all politics will be, Europe has advanced wired connections, USA top wireless industry and Asian countries will have both.

In europe hspa+ dc took deployment in most places and caps come as high as 50 gb or even 80 gb. Some places have LTE already with similar enjoyable caps. And often offer fixed installation at homes like clearwire does here with WiMAX.

It will be interesting or not too see how the US will compete in the next few years. Even vdsl in most countries will have more capacity than what u-verse has here.

Our wireless industry will be dogged by low speeds and unreliability due to over reliance on the radio waves.

sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH
reply to Bill Neilson

Re: Anyone see the letter that Verizon wrote back

said by Bill Neilson:

to the NYT?

A Verizon person basically copy/pasted the same 3 lines that Verizon states (it brings more competition, lower prices, etc...) and that was it.

Nothing to back up the claims, nothing. Just the same sentences and that was it.

I honestly believe that Verizon has just given up trying to actually rationalize its decisions to consumers or really anyone outside its stockholders

Kind of like Republicans then.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18
reply to fifty nine

Re: FCC will kill this deal

FiOS is not overkill.

Third world countries use fiber optics.

Are you suggesting that they are overkilling their infrastructure?

Give me a break.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

The average home user doesn't need more than 1Mbps upload, if that much.

How do you come up with that determination??

I love when people throw around numbers like this.

You do realize that demands for MORE upload bandwidth is one of the chief complaints among users...
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by 88615298:

The FCC will allow Verizon to buy the spectrum and that's it. All of this side deal shit will NOT be allowed.

But the FCC won't force them to expand.

FiOS is way too expensive anyway and is overkill for most home users.

No they can't force but they could say "You know maybe let you have half and give at&t the other half"

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to JRW2

said by JRW2:

You do realize that demands for MORE upload bandwidth is one of the chief complaints among users...

Don't expect fifty nine to get it at all.

JRW2
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by 34764170:

Don't expect fifty nine to get it at all.

I don't, there are too many people who have a myopic view on many subjects.
In this case many people feel that if they don't have any need for it, then no one else does either.
--

CrobertGauth

join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD

FIOS Expansion Plans

If FIOS was truly halting plans, shouldn't there be some some of indicator in their SEC filings? I would think that would be material information that current and future investors would like to know.
Maybe not right away, but should be not that far out.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 recommendation

reply to fifty nine

The phrase "if you build it they will come" comes to mind. If you build a network and offer speeds in excess of what people need and want today, innovation will come and find uses for it.

It wasn't long ago that the average home user didn't have a home network and was streaming Netflix, but that's changed today thanks to the advances in technology.

Of course we could have "gotten by" with dial up, 1 PC in the house, and cell phones with voice only and no touchscreens...

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..
--
"Not a stick, not a spliff, not even a puff."
.... The Harder They Come, with Jimmy Cliff.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to voipnpots

Re: Is Comcast on top now?

said by voipnpots:

I wonder if Comcast will be in the wireless phone business someday...

Hopefully not, because I think "Xfinity Wireless" would fail miserably.

They will. The cable companies will have the option to become a MNVO after a certain period of time as it stated in the original article.

over time, the cable companies will have the option of selling Verizon Wireless' service on a wholesale basis.

You can bet Comcast won't want to keep reselling Verizon wireless service in areas they currently compete with FiOS, so they'll likely resell it on a wholesale "Xfinity" wireless basis.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

This stinks worse then dead, rotting fish.....

on the beach on a 100 degree day!!! You don't know how badly people in our town wanted FIOS only to be snubbed by VerLIEzon!!!!! Oh well RIP FIOS we hardly knew thee!!!!

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to miataman

said by miataman:

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..

Then you can pay for a commercial connection if your needs are that critical.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to JRW2
said by JRW2:

Among which users? Maybe the techno geeks here but not the general population.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Zero
Except that the average home broadband connection is designed primarily for content consumption.

I think some of you have the idea that you are supposed to be able to run things like servers on a residential connection. That would be pretty much the only scenario where you need constantly fast high upload.

Even online backup doesn't need a fast upload connection. You're not doing full backups every night.

JRW2
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Among which users? Maybe the techno geeks here but not the general population.

In my job I deal with many people who are NOT techno-Geeks, and more than three quarters of them complain about how long it takes to upload things...

That is several hundred people.....
--

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to HaloFans

said by HaloFans:

FiOS is not overkill.

Third world countries use fiber optics.

Are you suggesting that they are overkilling their infrastructure?

Give me a break.

The average home user does not need more than about 10Mbps at the current time. 5Mbps would be fine for most people in fact.

35, 50, 100Mbps IS overkill for most residential users. The only reason FiOS has penetration is because they are offering better prices than the competition. People (as in not the techno geeks here) switch to cable providers when Verizon doesn't give them a good deal price wise. They don't really care about the tech details, they just care about the bottom line, which is $

I have 50Mbps but rarely ever have the need for it. I use a 7Mbps DSL line at another location and to me the experience for average use is about the same.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to JRW2

said by JRW2:

In my job I deal with many people who are NOT techno-Geeks, and more than three quarters of them complain about how long it takes to upload things...

That is several hundred people.....

See. I told you he wouldn't get it. He's stuck in his lala land.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to fifty nine
iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

JRW2
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by BiggA:

iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

Add another user or three, and see how much upload gets used in "normal" activities.
--

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Community Fiber

Community Fiber or even nationwide fiber is the only way to go. If we weren't spending so much money on foreign entanglements we were warned about, we could spend it at home. (Why not vote for a candidate who actually doesn't like war? I cry inside when I hear people like dick morris call a candidate who doesn't like war but does like personal freedoms - dangerous)

Anyway, FTTP or GO.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to CrobertGauth

Re: FIOS Expansion Plans

said by CrobertGauth:

If FIOS was truly halting plans, shouldn't there be some some of indicator in their SEC filings? I would think that would be material information that current and future investors would like to know.
Maybe not right away, but should be not that far out.

You must be living under a rock. They already said they won't be expanding any further.

kxrm

join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by cypherstream:

I guess you never had to upload batches of pictures or home videos to family members on photo / video sharing sites, or heck even facebook.

Today's high res cameras output some pretty sizeable files.

I do, quite often in fact. Our EOS 5D MkII produces sizable files with its 25 megapixels, as do the other DSLR bodies we use in our studio.

But I doubt that people are uploading hundreds of RAW files from a $2500 camera. Most people are uploading JPEGs from small consumer cameras and smartphones and the last time I uploaded to facebook and photo printing services their app didn't take much time at all. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

Maybe I am nuts but I absolutely enjoy my 35mbit FIOS service. The upload is a HUGE selling point for me. I can essentially setup services and save large amounts of cash on dedicated systems.