dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-12-29 14:39:30: For more than a year we've noted that with the exception of markets that have signed franchise obligations (New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia), Verizon's fiber to the home FiOS build is essentially over. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD

Anon

FIOS was never going to be pofitable for most.....

of their customer footprint. How could it be, even DSL over existing copper isn't profitable or even available in all areas. Whether or not they had to 'give up FIOS' as part of the LTE deal with cableco's, VZ didn't give up anything they hadn't already planned.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Re: FIOS was never going to be pofitable for most.....

said by JasonOD :

of their customer footprint. How could it be, even DSL over existing copper isn't profitable or even available in all areas. Whether or not they had to 'give up FIOS' as part of the LTE deal with cableco's, VZ didn't give up anything they hadn't already planned.

FIOS is plenty profitable mr. troll.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

2 recommendations

Os

Not VZ, but someone else?

Fiber is the future. And short-sighted money grabs are what the legacy telcos and cablecos have sought out.

While DOCSIS 3.0 is very capable, I think the market will be there for FTTH and if Verizon/AT&T/Comcast aren't interested in bringing it, they run the risk of being displaced out of the market by someone else.

Companies have done this for years. Think short-term, lose long-term. This is why always being pressured by Wall Street has sunk a lot of companies. They want to milk existing industries for all they're worth, but never invest in what's new. Imagine if Sears got into discounting, Kodak into digital photography, Blockbuster came up with streaming first. Companies that have been deemed irrelevant by a changing world could have embedded themselves for future generations.

The only difference is that telcos and cablecos have the advantage of government largely colluding to protect them. That's why some of these things are so alarming in this industry.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

1 recommendation

JRW2

Premium Member

Re: Not VZ, but someone else?

said by Os:

Fiber is the future.

YEP!

Companies have done this for years. Think short-term, lose long-term. This is why always being pressured by Wall Street has sunk a lot of companies. They want to milk existing industries for all they're worth, but never invest in what's new.

This will cost Verizon more than they hope to save.

BTW, this is the mentality that is KILLING this country...

tl1018
@bellatlantic.COM

tl1018

Anon

Not really they are going to be able to push speed thru wireless that will be compariable to what the average person would ever need

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

1 edit

JRW2

Premium Member

said by tl1018 :

Not really they are going to be able to push speed thru wireless that will be comparable to what the average person would ever need

Different people have different needs, so generic statements like that are meaningless..

Secondly, I have NEVER had a wireless signal that was stable, and in many cases the signal was so poor I couldn't hit top speeds...
I don't see it improving anytime soon.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Wireless will always have less bandwidth and reliability than wired, but for outlying areas that have no good wired connectivity, LTE could be great. However, we've heard that Wifi and then WiMAX were going to serve these areas, and so far they haven't. Hopefully it changes this time around.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Os

Premium Member

to Os
said by Os:

While DOCSIS 3.0 is very capable,

I don't see any cable provider even D3 ones offering 35mbps UPLOAD!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by dvd536:

said by Os:

While DOCSIS 3.0 is very capable,

I don't see any cable provider even D3 ones offering 35mbps UPLOAD!

The average home user doesn't need more than 1Mbps upload, if that much.

power users can get by with 10 or 15Mbps.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

3 recommendations

34764170 (banned)

said by fifty nine:

power users can get by with 10 or 15Mbps.

and 640k is enough for everyone. Get real corporate shill.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine
I guess you never had to upload batches of pictures or home videos to family members on photo / video sharing sites, or heck even facebook.

Today's high res cameras output some pretty sizeable files.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by cypherstream:

I guess you never had to upload batches of pictures or home videos to family members on photo / video sharing sites, or heck even facebook.

I do, quite often in fact. Our EOS 5D MkII produces sizable files with its 25 megapixels, as do the other DSLR bodies we use in our studio.

But I doubt that people are uploading hundreds of RAW files from a $2500 camera. Most people are uploading JPEGs from small consumer cameras and smartphones and the last time I uploaded to facebook and photo printing services their app didn't take much time at all. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by fifty nine:

. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

Your right there. I guess I'm just bitter with a 1mbps upload from Service Electric. That's nice you get 5mbps. I'd have to DOUBLE my monthly bill to upgrade to 5mbps upload. (In excess of $100 a month).

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

1 edit

miataman to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by miataman:

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..

Then you can pay for a commercial connection if your needs are that critical.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

1 recommendation

JRW2

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

Add another user or three, and see how much upload gets used in "normal" activities.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Yup.
kxrm
join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX

kxrm to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by cypherstream:

I do, quite often in fact. Our EOS 5D MkII produces sizable files with its 25 megapixels, as do the other DSLR bodies we use in our studio.

But I doubt that people are uploading hundreds of RAW files from a $2500 camera. Most people are uploading JPEGs from small consumer cameras and smartphones and the last time I uploaded to facebook and photo printing services their app didn't take much time at all. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

Maybe I am nuts but I absolutely enjoy my 35mbit FIOS service. The upload is a HUGE selling point for me. I can essentially setup services and save large amounts of cash on dedicated systems.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

How do you come up with that determination??

I love when people throw around numbers like this.

You do realize that demands for MORE upload bandwidth is one of the chief complaints among users...
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by JRW2:

You do realize that demands for MORE upload bandwidth is one of the chief complaints among users...

Don't expect fifty nine to get it at all.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

Don't expect fifty nine to get it at all.

I don't, there are too many people who have a myopic view on many subjects.
In this case many people feel that if they don't have any need for it, then no one else does either.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to JRW2

to JRW2
said by JRW2:

Among which users? Maybe the techno geeks here but not the general population.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

Among which users? Maybe the techno geeks here but not the general population.

In my job I deal with many people who are NOT techno-Geeks, and more than three quarters of them complain about how long it takes to upload things...

That is several hundred people.....
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by JRW2:

In my job I deal with many people who are NOT techno-Geeks, and more than three quarters of them complain about how long it takes to upload things...

That is several hundred people.....

See. I told you he wouldn't get it. He's stuck in his lala land.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 recommendation

Zero5 to fifty nine

to fifty nine
The phrase "if you build it they will come" comes to mind. If you build a network and offer speeds in excess of what people need and want today, innovation will come and find uses for it.

It wasn't long ago that the average home user didn't have a home network and was streaming Netflix, but that's changed today thanks to the advances in technology.

Of course we could have "gotten by" with dial up, 1 PC in the house, and cell phones with voice only and no touchscreens...

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Except that the average home broadband connection is designed primarily for content consumption.

I think some of you have the idea that you are supposed to be able to run things like servers on a residential connection. That would be pretty much the only scenario where you need constantly fast high upload.

Even online backup doesn't need a fast upload connection. You're not doing full backups every night.
Expand your moderator at work

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

Dumb move, it will cost them.

The original idea to convert the copper to fiber was a bold move, and pure genius. It took someone who thought out farther than five years and could see the savings they were buying to make this decision.
Sadly, the rest of those in charge were not.

Canceling the FIOS roll-outs will cost them in the future, more than it would have had they continued.

LTE may be cheaper now, but it is going to cost them in the near future to stay with broadband trends for more speeds.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Fine print of deal will eventually come out anyway

»Does Verizon Cable Deal Spell Death of FiOS Expansion? [84] comments
quote:
I'll assume that neither cable operators or Verizon are going to let us see the deal fine print to confirm the Times guess, but the logic fits Verizon's strategy
The details of the deal will eventually come out. Either thru DOJ looking at deal for anti-trust oversight, or because some 3rd party will file a civil anti-trust lawsuit against the deal. Legal discovery results will eventually be made public by court order or will be leaked.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

Re: Fine print of deal will eventually come out anyway

said by FFH5:

The details of the deal will eventually come out. Either thru DOJ looking at deal for anti-trust oversight, or because some 3rd party will file a civil anti-trust lawsuit against the deal. Legal discovery results will eventually be made public by court order or will be leaked.

By then it may be too late...
voipnpots
join:2011-10-13
USA

voipnpots

Is Comcast on top now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that Comcast is the only true winner here for the time being? U-verse's technology doesn't compare, and Verizon has stopped building. Other cable companies like Brighthouse, etc. are not nearly as big as the others (at&t, Verizon, Comcast).

Comcast has had the largest chunk of the market for a while, but this move by Verizon makes it definite that Comcast will be #1 for a while (availability/popularity wise).

•••••
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

FCC will kill this deal

The FCC will allow Verizon to buy the spectrum and that's it. All of this side deal shit will NOT be allowed.

•••••

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 recommendation

MovieLover76

This is all theoretical

The reason FIOS stopped the buildout is simple, their market penetration was too low in existing markets, I'm a lucky one and FIOS is available where I live, and I can tell you this, it's happening but one by one friends and family are switching to FIOS, because they hate the cable companies (Comcast and Cablevision in my area) crappy service, market penetration will increase and it may take a long time years and years before Verizon restarts the deployment but I think it will happen, DOCSIS 3.0 can only go so far, and Verizon above all wants more of customers money, they may settle for a few more LTE customers through cable deals for a few years, but eventually when FIOS market penetration becomes high enough and they are making good money on FIOS, they will continue to deploy to markets that look profitable, Like Boston which never saw a deployment and other places like it.

If your in a rural area though don't expect it even then, I don't think they ever planned to expand there.

jfleni
@rr.com

jfleni

Anon

Re: This is all theoretical

Sure, but since Boston is a city in Mass, they could take advantage of the new state "Light Plant" law, start some electric service for the city snowplow yard or something similar, then finance and build a municipal fiber system as part of the "Light Plant." VZ would squawk, but so what.

Result: the biggest city in NE would have the best fiber, and all the economic development, as well a a potful of TV/internet profits, while VZ plays tic-tac-toe on their smartphone keyboards.

John Lenihan
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76
How do you know their market penetration was too low? They've maintained or increased landline subscriptions despite hemorrhaging DSL subscribers to cable.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080

shakeout..

There is no guarantee that wireless will be this huge money maker that will be accepted as a 100% replacement for wireline. The only reason why someone might think this is the case is because there is a **POSSIBLE** scheme underway by AT&T and Comcast to NOT develop broadband so that wireless may flourish and companies can reap huge profits from a more "REAL" resource of scarcity (so the theory goes). Afterall, airwaves are more prescious than a virtually limitless swath of fiber optic cables, right?!

Let's see how long that lasts before consumers begin the drumbeat of pushing companies to do better or lose their exclusive duopoly / monopoly status. Wireless is NOT a replacement technology for landline/wireline.

Also, let us not forget these are the same greedy bastards behind trying to shape the internet for special interests like SOPA. With millions of FIOS customers at stake, I doubt Verizon wants to be associated with this kind of corruption in the ISP market.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

US as top wireless dog

The effect of those all politics will be, Europe has advanced wired connections, USA top wireless industry and Asian countries will have both.

In europe hspa+ dc took deployment in most places and caps come as high as 50 gb or even 80 gb. Some places have LTE already with similar enjoyable caps. And often offer fixed installation at homes like clearwire does here with WiMAX.

It will be interesting or not too see how the US will compete in the next few years. Even vdsl in most countries will have more capacity than what u-verse has here.
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Re: US as top wireless dog

said by chgo_man99:

The effect of those all politics will be, Europe has advanced wired connections, USA top wireless industry and Asian countries will have both.

In europe hspa+ dc took deployment in most places and caps come as high as 50 gb or even 80 gb. Some places have LTE already with similar enjoyable caps. And often offer fixed installation at homes like clearwire does here with WiMAX.

It will be interesting or not too see how the US will compete in the next few years. Even vdsl in most countries will have more capacity than what u-verse has here.

Our wireless industry will be dogged by low speeds and unreliability due to over reliance on the radio waves.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

Anyone see the letter that Verizon wrote back

to the NYT?

A Verizon person basically copy/pasted the same 3 lines that Verizon states (it brings more competition, lower prices, etc...) and that was it.

Nothing to back up the claims, nothing. Just the same sentences and that was it.

I honestly believe that Verizon has just given up trying to actually rationalize its decisions to consumers or really anyone outside its stockholders

•••

Union Buster
@verizon.net

Union Buster

Anon

Union killing

The cable deals are designed to kill the union.

Verizon will force the union to walk out again and use the cable companies to keep customers happy. Negotiations are going no where for a new contract. Verizon management could keep up with the work load of repairs and they did little to no installs and that is the real driving force behind the cable deals. Take or leave it I can care less.

Don't ask how I know, I just do.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 recommendation

cypherstream

MVM

"This is FIOS, this is SMALL!"

That should be the taglines on the trucks since (in the grand scheme of things) they only cover a very SMALL footprint of the US.

Unless they can come with a more efficient way to deliver via some kind of wireless or magic DSL technology...

My area is a mere 30 minute drive from the closest Fios deployment. So yes, I've seen fios... but sadly will never get it at home. I don't even live in a bad area either.

That's too bad Verizon. Your loss. You could of had many more potential customers. If you build it, they will come. Unfortinately you won't build it. Verizon DSL tops out at 3mbps here. Cable is 50mbps on the top tier, and Comcast a mile away has a 105mbps package.

Seems like Fios is old news.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Re: "This is FIOS, this is SMALL!"

said by cypherstream:

My area is a mere 30 minute drive from the closest Fios deployment.

I'm just 600 FEET from a Fios area, but Verizon says they won't make it available to us. So I get to pay Cablevision's high rates.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Same old Crappola!

CenturyLink is our local Teleco. They are pitching Prism. All these schemes like U-Verse, FiOS and Prism appear to have the same problem, significant limitations as to the number of simultaneous channels that can be viewed. Prism offers two HD Streams and two SD streams. That sucks if you want to have seven televisions in your home accessing different channels.

I understand that U-Verse and FiOS have similar restrictions as to the number channels that the subscriber can view through one drop at one time. The teleco's attitude seems to be that we are not Burger King so have it our way or blow it out your ass.

The teleco's should have beat CATV at there own game and used RF over Fiber like the cable companies do. A 1GHz system would have given teleco., the ability to carry a bazillion channels plus voice and data. Tell teleco not forget to reserve 1Mhz to 114Mhz for upstream channels over their cable system.

••••••••
CrobertGauth
join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD

CrobertGauth

FIOS Expansion Plans

If FIOS was truly halting plans, shouldn't there be some some of indicator in their SEC filings? I would think that would be material information that current and future investors would like to know.
Maybe not right away, but should be not that far out.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Re: FIOS Expansion Plans

said by CrobertGauth:

If FIOS was truly halting plans, shouldn't there be some some of indicator in their SEC filings? I would think that would be material information that current and future investors would like to know.
Maybe not right away, but should be not that far out.

You must be living under a rock. They already said they won't be expanding any further.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

This stinks worse then dead, rotting fish.....

on the beach on a 100 degree day!!! You don't know how badly people in our town wanted FIOS only to be snubbed by VerLIEzon!!!!! Oh well RIP FIOS we hardly knew thee!!!!
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Community Fiber

Community Fiber or even nationwide fiber is the only way to go. If we weren't spending so much money on foreign entanglements we were warned about, we could spend it at home. (Why not vote for a candidate who actually doesn't like war? I cry inside when I hear people like dick morris call a candidate who doesn't like war but does like personal freedoms - dangerous)

Anyway, FTTP or GO.

•••••
eandras
join:2001-08-28
Pompton Lakes, NJ

eandras

Verizon

Verizon's build out was designed to be in affluent communities. If you look at the average income of where FTTH is deployed the income is above the national average. Verizon is only going to where the demographics are going to pay. They will not deploy in low income areas. So they are now at a standstill.

Capitalism at it's best

•••
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

FTTH not needed for a while..

You guys realize that there ARE ways to offer higher upload speeds to customers with docsis 3. The need/demand isn't there which is why its not being done. Just with 4 16qam upstream channels you can reliably do about 10mb up consistently. Many companies are employing or testing 32 and 64 qam upstream channels which will allow even more. When they really get hungry for upload they can replace that diplex filters set around 50mhz up wherever they want it, dump analog 2,3,4,5 etc and bond several more channels together AND start getting away from the noise issues found in the sub low band and even potentially offer 256qam upstream channels.

The potential and technology are there, Its just not cheap and its not needed yet. Of course, the 10 of you on here will argue that it is needed but think of the other 99% of internet users and what they are doing. There not going to spend tens of millions on the 1%
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: FTTH not needed for a while..

said by tim tim tim:

You guys realize that there ARE ways to offer higher upload speeds to customers with docsis 3.

Docsis is fully capable of 240mbits down and 120-160( I think 160 up is Euro docsis 3)...

**however, the market forces outside of the pitiful competition we see with Verizon and Cablevision (NY metro) are just not going anywhere but to a stagnation of paying more and getting less. the cable industry will have to face up to their challenge of cannibaizing VIDEO services to move forward with their business model-- much in the same way PART of telco did with cannibalizing "COMMERCIAL GRADE & HIGH QUALITY QOS" ISDN/long distance ethernet services over copper/fiber lines in the past by deploying similar services to residential customers.

For that to move forward, alot of top managment at AT&T and Comcast would have to no longer be with the company for this to happen. I can think of several ways for that to happen.. many are not quite nice for them.. and I'd rather stay on topic. You can also consider a 3rd carrier entering the race should this stagnation of duopoly continue for too long a time-- then docsis nearly becomes irrelevant. A new company would most likely choose FTTP for a new build. Docsis 3 was not meant to compete with 500-1000mbits to the home symmetrical fiber.

CharliDolphi
@verizon.net

CharliDolphi

Anon

Verizon-CableVision-CWA

Add to that, the fact that CWA, the Union that represents Verizon Employees, is actively trying to Unionize CableVision employess. Yep, say good bye to FIOS.

my 2 cents
@cox.net

my 2 cents

Anon

It will not change for a while

Alot of people do not understand it's not all about giving what the customers want when the return is 10 years out. Investors want results now, not later.

Fiber to the home great, but to build out the cost add up and take years to pay off.
Paying for Permits to Dig
Materials
Labor (planning, installation, Build out of network, etc)
Cost to Carry networks, etc

It is just costly and return is not over night. It will always be all about the money and stretching their current tech out as far as they can...for any provider
page: 1 · 2 · next