dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-06 09:36:21: While Sprint has continued to insist they're dedicated to offering unlimited data, the writing has been on the wall for some time that this dedication is going to have a short shelf life. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Sprint says their CEO misspoke

Sprint corrects their CEO's statement - he meant only the prepaid svcs & not the postpaid Sprint.
»news.cnet.com/8301-1035_ ··· 1_3-0-20

Sprint executive Bill White denied this was the case. Sprint's businesses include its prepaid arms Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile, both of which do practice throttling, and Hesse was referring to those customers.

"We don't throttle our unlimited postpaid customers," White said. "He is not referring to postpaid."

WeKnSmith
join:2001-08-09
Noblesville, IN

1 recommendation

WeKnSmith

Re: Sprint says their CEO misspoke

Engadget, and a few other sites are stating that they misquoted him. It seems as if it is not a case of him having misspoke.

He stated that they throttle the top 1% of users that are using excessive data while roaming. Sprint has always advertised unlimited data while on the Sprint network. The terms and advertising clearly states that there is a limit of 300 MB of data usage while roaming on other networks.

Sounds to me as if one or two journalists misquoted him, and then everyone else jumped on the bandwagon to get the story out. Now everyone, including DSLReports, is going to have to backtrack and fix the news article titles.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium Member
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

King P

Premium Member

You know what's funny, is that whenever I check my usage stats in my Sprint account, it says I have Unlimited Data Roaming.

Now, obviously we all know that isn't true, because (as you stated) it says there is a 300MB limit on roaming data. In fact, I rooted my Nexus S 4G, installed Roam Control and force roamed on Verizon for 3 straight months with 1GB+ data usage per month and Sprint sent me a nastygram in the mail, telling me to cut it out or they'll terminate my account.

With that said, couldn't Sprint get in trouble for stating unlimited Roaming in one place, but saying you have a 300MB limit in the ToS?
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

No. Only because the hard limits are stated in your contract (TOS/AUP) that you agreed to with your service.
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

1 recommendation

40757180 (banned)

In my contract it says unlimited. If i to get such letter I will sue the for false advertisement and breach of contract.

RVAguy
Premium Member
join:2006-01-05
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

Which requires you to prove in court, which also you have to prove damages. It's an uphill battle & don't expect any attorney to take your case unless it's a class action suit (which I don't see many complaining about force roaming data usage). I would terminate you too. All they have to do is see what towers you are roaming on and figure out you have a rooted phone and are forcing it to roam in network. Breach of contract...
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by RVAguy:

Which requires you to prove in court, which also you have to prove damages. It's an uphill battle & don't expect any attorney to take your case unless it's a class action suit (which I don't see many complaining about force roaming data usage). I would terminate you too. All they have to do is see what towers you are roaming on and figure out you have a rooted phone and are forcing it to roam in network. Breach of contract...

1) I see no reason to get a lawyer. There is something called small claim court.

2) Phone get prl from sprint that makes it automatically roam on Verizon when there is no Sprint signal available but there is Verizon.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

I apologize, I reread the statement above and thought it was you. I was referring to the post that said they were forcing it to roam. This wasn't you who said that. Small claims court still requires proof of damages. I am not sure what damages you would claim if Sprint canceled your account, as there are other providers. I think it would be an uphill battle. They may reimburse you for the phone you purchased, but that's about it.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by RVAguy:

I apologize, I reread the statement above and thought it was you. I was referring to the post that said they were forcing it to roam. This wasn't you who said that. Small claims court still requires proof of damages. I am not sure what damages you would claim if Sprint canceled your account, as there are other providers. I think it would be an uphill battle. They may reimburse you for the phone you purchased, but that's about it.

In the contract that I signed with sprint it says roaming is unlimited both on the website and on my bill. I would sue Sprint for damages that resulted in me having to switch to another carrier and having to pay more per month and not get same type of unlimited plan as I had with Sprint.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

Interesting... Can you take a screen shot? I am looking for that under my acct.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by RVAguy:

Interesting... Can you take a screen shot? I am looking for that under my acct.

Here you go

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

Oh ok. Does our contract support that as well? I hardly roam, or even use 3g for that matter. I try to use much wifi as possible. 3g in my parts is a joke now. When I first got the EVO, it was very quick. Now, it takes forever to bring up a webpage, even in its mobile format.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to WeKnSmith

to WeKnSmith
DSLR would NEVER admit to being wrong.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Sprint Has No Choice

First, the government needs to enforce the law and go after Sprint for engaging in false advertising. Of course, since the government blesses the current false advertising on price done by all phone companies, this probably won't happen.

Second, Sprint would get killed if they got rid of non-overaged data plans. Without that, there's nothing that differentiates them from Verizon or AT&T, except for that their quality of service is pretty much a joke.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

Re: Sprint Has No Choice

Please tell me how they are engaging in false advertising? This was sloppy journalism at best and at worst an attemt to defame Sprint.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by RVAguy:

Please tell me how they are engaging in false advertising? This was sloppy journalism at best and at worst an attemt to defame Sprint.

If the ads claim they don't throttle, then the CEO says they do, then what are people supposed to think?

Granted, the company says the CEO misspoke, but had be been correct, this would have been false advertising.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

Actually, it wasn't the CEO who misspoke, it was a journalist who deliberately left out the word roaming. Also, one could make a legal argument, that throttling in itself doesn't violate the phrase unlimited data. Again, just saying legally, it could be argued, not that is what I agree with.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by RVAguy:

Also, one could make a legal argument, that throttling in itself doesn't violate the phrase unlimited data.

Indeed it doesn't, but Sprint's ads claim that no throttling takes place.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

I Believe He Misspoke

Having the ongoing experience of Sprint's pathetic 3G service on my iPhone 4S, I do believe they are correct that Dan Hesse misspoke and that they not throttling the top 1% of their users. I believe they are throttling 100% of their users!

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

Re: I Believe He Misspoke

Haha, good point. I wish they would throttle some of these users abusing the system. I am barely breaking a gig/mo on 3g b/c it's just unbearable where I live. I only eat at places that have wifi

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium Member
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

King P

Premium Member

Keep it up Sprint...

If you insist on acting like the big boys, with real networks, I'll be out of here come contract renewal time. I thought you were better than that.

At this point, with your phone selection lacking (compared to AT&T and Verizon at least), no real 4G network (WiMax is stalled, LTE isn't out yet, plus even AT&T has more LTE sites than you do) and now throttling users...you've given me nothing more than your Unlimited* data as your key differentiator.

PS - Had you upgraded your network to EVDO RevB, you might not have such a bandwidth problem on your 3G network.

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

MrMaster

Premium Member

Re: Keep it up Sprint...

I think sprint's problem is their backhaul links from their towers.

Like everyone else, sprint is great in some areas and horrible in others. They are no better and no worse in that regard.

I do like that they gave me a free femtocell to use.
RDC17
join:2011-05-15
Vienna, VA

RDC17

Doesn't even matter

Sprint continues to advertise lower prices and unlimited data than AT&T and Verizon yet they continue to struggle against them.

They'll be in a real disadvantage when VZ and AT&T iPhone 5s are rolling along on LTE when the Sprint one will be putting along on EVDO.

hamburglar
join:2002-04-29
united state

hamburglar

Might as well be throttled

I rarely see more than 300Kbps on 3G anymore. Barely usable at times.

io chico
Premium Member
join:2003-12-30
Marble Falls, TX

io chico

Premium Member

Re: Might as well be throttled

I'm getting 1.5Mbps, that's down in the past 2 months.

It's all the iPhone users that came on board.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI
ARRIS TM1602
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
Ooma Telo

GeekJedi

Premium Member

Get over yourself

Boy Karl, it has GOT to be killing you that Sprint hasn't killed unlimited data yet.

First, this story was debunked last night yet this morning in big font there's "Sprint CEO Says They're Throttling Unlimited Users" while printing the "truth" in a smaller font.

All so that you could once again proclaim that Sprint will be killing unlimited data (all while Sprint is doing a major ad campaign promoting unlimited data).

Let's try something new and actually do some reporting rather than "blogging". This site is becoming the Fox News of technology.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: Get over yourself

Feel free to submit news articles yourself instead of just bitching about it.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi

Premium Member

I would, except that my news articles would have something we call "facts" rather than opinion disguised as news. It would never fly.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by GeekJedi:

I would, except that my news articles would have something we call "facts" rather than opinion disguised as news. It would never fly.

How many have been rejected?

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

Sprint should drop the 10.00 data addon

Ok, they don't throttle. No wait, they do. No, they don't. They have unlimited data. No they don't. They do. They don't. .....

One this is clear. They are charging people 10.00 MORE a month for PREMIUM data usage. They already charged 10.00 more for having a smart phone. Now, as of last Jan, they tacked on 10.00 more. However, I replaced my Samsung Transform with a Motorola Admiral and the store cleark said they were going to charge me 10.00 more for data. However, I have noticed the past month, when I go to download a large file, I'm told it can't and I have to use WiFi to do it. We are talking anything from 8mb and up. I've not did any real testing to see what the size as to be before I have to use WiFi but it still doesn't matter. Why am I paying MORE for data usage and I'm restricted on the file size?
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Re: Sprint should drop the 10.00 data addon

iphone on at&t does the same thing - if you try to download over 20mb app from apple store, it will tell you to connect to wifi or download through itunes on your comp and then sync.

Stupid as single 20 min video session on hulu or netflix app will download 10x more than that!
Stumbles
join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Stumbles

If he said what he said.

How many CEO examples does a CEO need of past CEOs "mis-speak" to realize they should keep their mouths shut.

Personally I am glad they are so thick headed.
JonyBelGeul
Premium Member
join:2008-07-31

JonyBelGeul

Premium Member

Throttling unlimited?!?

Unlimited means "without limits". Throttling is a limit. Therefore Sprint does not in fact offer unlimited.