dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-06 10:38:02: Some companies (like Time Warner Cable) don't see significant competitive pressure from FiOS or U-Verse -- and with slow DSL as their only competitive threat, have been somewhat glacial in getting faster DOCSIS 3.0 speeds deployed. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

Doesen't comcast still have some analog only areas?

Doesen't Comcast still have some analog only areas? or other ares that are digital with NO HD at all?
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2

Re: Doesen't comcast still have some analog only areas?

Yes, I am actually in one of those areas with very limited cable options. They just added digital capability recently, but I still can't get cable internet services at all.

I guess I am stuck with Frontier's second connect 3Mb service for some time.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
Yes, up in the tumb on Michigan, its an analog only system. Family has a cabin there...no digital cable, but we do have internet. Its not DOCSIS3 though like my house in the metro-Detroit area.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: Doesen't comcast still have some analog only areas?

At least HSI is a redeeming factor. If it didn't have that, it would be pointless. It would be better to have DirecTV at that point...
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571 to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
DuQuoin, Illinois is the place that you're thinking about. It's deep in Southern Illinois.

It's been mentioned on this website before.

Paladin
Sage of the light
join:2001-08-17
Chester, IL

Paladin

Re: Doesn't comcast still have some analog only areas?

DuQuoin is getting sold off to New Wave, the same company that provides cable here in Chester, they will at least upgrade the cable to having 10 Mbps. This entire area needs fiber IMO.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Got Upgraded

When I signed up for Business HSI two years ago, they said D3 would be rolled-out sometime later that year, and I'd get an automatic bump from 6/1 to 12/2. Didn't happen... until sometime early-to-mid last year, but I did get the bump--without having to change modems. (Tho I had to call and ask "Hey, what's up?")

12/2 is good enough for our uses.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Re: Got Upgraded

12/2 doesn't require D3. I have a D2 modem and I have Charter's 15/3 package with SpeedBoost/PowerBoost/[whatever]Boost. It peaks at just over 30Mbps for the first few seconds and then slowly crawls back to the high teens.

Under optimal conditions, D2 modems can do 38/27. However, depending on plant design/capacity/management, they might require D3 modems even though your package's speeds don't reach the D2 limits.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Proud of that 250GB cap?

Hey Comcast!

You haven't forgotten that 250GB usage cap (upload/download) that you've been sitting on since October 1, 2008 have you?

Just don't want it to go unnoticed with all of these supposed upgrades and corresponding rate hikes....

Like I've said before, you are paying more for less and less of the internet.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg

Premium Member

Re: Proud of that 250GB cap?

Faster speeds mean transferring data faster or more things in parallel, not necessarily downloading things that you wouldn't have downloaded anyway. I can't speak for you, and there are exceptions, but let's be realistic -- the vast majority of people who are impacted by the cap are downloading things that they shouldn't.
axiomatic
join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

axiomatic

Ummmm no! When you have four people in a house all using some form of streaming media like Zune Marketplace on the XBOX 360 along with Netflix streaming its quite easy to surpass 250GB in one month.

All 100% legal consumer uses my friend. Just because you are a light user doesn't mean you can speak from everyone.

As a side note. Other than my ridiculously high bill Comcast is in fact providing me an excellent service level. But the price is officially ridiculous. My only real complaint is that Comcast idea of 1080p is laughable. Maybe 860p-ish. But it's certainly not comparable at all to OTA quality.

In fact Comcast, that should be your new years resolution. Let try to get closer to 1080p. OK?
crk2h
join:2003-03-19
Murfreesboro, TN

crk2h

Nothing is even broadcast in 1080p yet so why would that matter? Maybe for the PPV or on Demand movies?? I don't think I have even seen anything on comcast advertinsing that they had 1080p??

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

Floppy

Yup even OnDemand and PPV HD programming is still 1080i.
krazyfiend
join:2011-02-15

krazyfiend to axiomatic

to axiomatic
it actually is 1080i...however...

when it comes to how Comcast chooses to divvy up the bandwidth for channels and allot those channels to QAM's... is a whole other debate (see AVSforums for in depth discussions)...

Even at a so-call 'hi-def' resolution , I would not consider anything 'hi-def' if the bandwidth stream feeding the A/V is anything south of 15-17 MB/s ... which is frequently the case. Compared to OTA, most cable/satellite will look crappy, 1080i or not, due to overly lossy compression and stifled bandwidth allotment.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

Hey Comcast!

You haven't forgotten that 250GB usage cap (upload/download) that you've been sitting on since October 1, 2008 have you?

They haven't forgotten. whatever your speed, legacy video revenues still need protecting.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
I never had a problem with 250GB cap even with fairly heavy on line TV watching I never seem to get above 26GB.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

I wonder

I was in on the D3 upgrades, but I only have 4 bonded channels downstream. I am hoping that areas that were converted will be upgraded even more, so we can get that upstream as well (still only at one stream)

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: I wonder

said by baineschile:

I was in on the D3 upgrades, but I only have 4 bonded channels downstream. I am hoping that areas that were converted will be upgraded even more, so we can get that upstream as well (still only at one stream)

Same here.And I can't get any info from Comcast on when bonded upstreams will hit my area.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102

Premium Member

Oh Good!

Now they can raise the cap so that people can make use of all that higher speed.

Oh wait.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

Re: Oh Good!

You realize it's a soft cap, right?

frenchfry
@bellsouth.net

frenchfry

Anon

No upgade

No upgrade here in Mississippi(Tupelo and West Point market). I would bet that there statement is only were they have competition.

AT&T is not competition with there slow internet and boxes being full. I just don't understand AT&T turning down customers and not upgrading to handle more customers.
ronus
join:2003-02-09
Dallas, GA

ronus

Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 Complete?

Complete. Really? I guess it depends on what you call "complete". The "complete" DOCSIS 3.0 spec. as I understand it bonds channels on UPSTREAM as well as DOWNSTREAM. If you your modem isn't boding channels on both then it's not truly "complete". While I have 4 bonded channels on DOWNSTREAM on my Blast tier, The modem only reports 1 channel on the upstream. Therefore in my area DOCSIS 3.0 is NOT "complete". Apparently, they really mean that they have only completed half of the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade.
mlcarson
join:2001-09-20
Santa Maria, CA

mlcarson

Re: Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 Complete?

I'm not sure what happened in southern NM. I had downstream channel bonding for a while but then it disappeared -- the upstream channel bonding never appeared. Maximum download speed package still seems to be Performance at 15Mbs. Price was $84.46/mo for basic TV + HSI. I just cancelled for CenturyLink DSL which provides me 40/5 speeds at a cheaper price. Pretty sure Comcast considers Las Cruces one of those area they don't care about if ABQ is.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to ronus

Premium Member

to ronus
I have the same problems.

youarestupid
@mycingular.net

youarestupid to ronus

Anon

to ronus
How about a really? to your really? Who ever said that Comcast's DOCSIS 3.0 deployment was of full DOCSIS 3.0 specification? Or that they would ever be required to live up to that specification? Comcast is a business which exists to make a profit, not satisfy each and every customer to the same degree. You live in Dallas, GA, you should be grateful you have any service at all, let alone downstream bonding. Your $50.00 a month does not pay for them to deploy upgrades to every household in the US. Do you want faster internet and upstream bonding? Move to a densely populated area where it is economically feasible to have previous deployments of FiOS(or another ftth provider) or a deployment of DOCSIS 3.0 which includes upstream bonding. Have a good day
ronus
Dallas, GA

4 edits

ronus

To everyone reading this: If you click on the "youarestupid" in the post that this is a reply to, you will see that this person is an anonymous poster with no information. This proves that this person is a forum Troll (or they work for Comcast ). You can find the definition for Troll (internet) here:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr ··· ernet%29
I have no idea of what the definition of working for Comcast is. Maybe "youarestupid" can enlighten us?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by ronus:

To everyone reading this: If you click on the "youarestupid" in the post that this is a reply to, you will see that this person is an anonymous poster with no information. This proves that this person is a forum Troll (or they work for Comcast ). You can find the definition for Troll (internet) here:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr ··· ernet%29
I have no idea of what the definition of working for Comcast is. Maybe "youarestupid" can enlighten us?

Why is it always that when someone here disagrees with another forum posted, registered or anon, that they MUST work for the company that are posting in favor of? ... why are some people, such as yourself, so shallow in your thinking that some people just don't agree with your views and can have an opinion and NOT work for the party in which they support?

... seriously, when did you drop out of school? This kind of lunacy is what is known as trolling. Your post offers nothing to the topic at all.
ronus
Dallas, GA

4 edits

ronus

Why is it that some people, such as yourself, can't post a disagreement without using insults such as "shallow", or "... seriously, when did you drop out of school?"? I have no problems with people who post disagreements with what I say. I do take issue when they use childish insults such as the poster whose user name "yourarestupid", which was intended in and of itself to be an insult to me, uses insults in their rebuttal such as "You live in Dallas, GA, you should be grateful you have any service at all". Disagreeing and debating are healthy things. And it's OK for "youarestupid" to disagree with me, but using ludicrous insults in the process shows a lack of respect and intelligence. I believe this person meant their post to be intentionally inflammatory which, by the definition I linked to, would make them a "Troll". By the way, your post offers nothing to the topic at all either.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Your response here isn't valid.. you're completely taking out one person (the guy I replied to) and laying the burden on me.

SOME of us enjoy having conversations with people that post something of substance - even when we disagree. However, the post *I* responded to is exactly what you're asking ME to answer to.

The poster that I replied to was in fact being shallow by all definition. He has nothing valid to respond with so he goes for a completely un-founded reply and accuses the poster for having some sort of financial or special interest in the point of topic. It is FAR more common for trolls around here to bash people who actually are in agreement with the viewpoint of the "big evil corporation" by accusing them (note, "accusing") them of being a sock holder, a corporate mouthpiece, etc. (those labels are plentiful around here)

That attack on posters is in-fact trolling and VERY common around this site.

Yet, I call that person shallow for having no substance to his post, accusation, and attack and it's ME you want to explain myself?

No.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to ronus

Premium Member

to ronus
said by ronus:

The "complete" DOCSIS 3.0 spec. as I understand it bonds channels on UPSTREAM as well as DOWNSTREAM. If you your modem isn't boding channels on both then it's not truly "complete". While I have 4 bonded channels on DOWNSTREAM on my Blast tier, The modem only reports 1 channel on the upstream. Therefore in my area DOCSIS 3.0 is NOT "complete". Apparently, they really mean that they have only completed half of the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade.

As the spec doesn't limit the number of bonded channels then I guess they're not "complete" on the downstream either then as they don't have an unlimited number of channels bonded. It's not complete until I see listed as the number of channels bonded

A.k.a. your understanding is wrong. While the spec does allow for bonded channels, it does not require them.

/M
ronus
Dallas, GA

ronus

Your understanding of my point is wrong, not my understanding of the spec. It doesn't "require" them to bond channels. However I do not believe Comcast CMTs in my area are DOCSIS 3.0 compliant on the upstream. While they can bond channels on the downstream they can't on the upstream. My point is that they made the comment that their DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades were complete. It's not "complete" unless they are capable of doing it on the upstream also.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

No upstream bonding though

I've had the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade for a year or two now. There's still no upstream bonding though.

jblues
join:2001-04-28
Allen Park, MI

jblues

Most have only downstream bonding...

Upstream was deployed in a lot of markets but pulled when some CMTS couldn't handle it. Extreme tier and above lost their normal advertised upstream speeds in most cases. Will come back soon, according to ComcastSteve and a few others I talk to. (Don't know how soon that "soon" is....)
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn

Not Fully Complete

The upgrade is only fully completed where there is competition. In my area, where only Comcast is allowed to offer wired internet, the speed upgrades have not taken place. A few miles away where another competitor is allowed the upgrades are fully done. My friend has three times the speed that I get for less money.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Maybe?

In our area, which is in the last 30% to get upgraded to anything, they killed analog a month or so ago, but our internet is stuck at 8/2 and while the website shows Extreme 105 being available, but it doesn't show the 50mbps tier being available, which is a little strange...
BiggA

BiggA

Premium Member

Other areas

We've also got areas near us that only have 20-30 HD's, so they clearly aren't done upgrading the whole system there, even if they did manage to cram D3 on there somehow.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Frostburg, MD/Keyser, WV

Didn't make the list.

A limited digital cable lineup without a ton of the channels Comcast usually carries, no phone service, 15/1 is your fastest internet service, and you don't get any HD channels.

I'd hate to live on the other end of this county. We'll have D3 by the end of the first quarter this year with a max of 40/3, and we're up to 60+ HD channels.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

now what?

deployment of the technology does not make competition

neither of the two companies who have the largest overlapping footprint have ANY interest in a "broadband war" or anything resembling competition. [ AT&T and COMCAST ]

I don't see Verizon lowering prices.. as it is I see bill creep with a "Regulatory Reovery Fee" on my latest bill! PFFT!!!!!

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

I am wondering why you mention TWC as deploying D3.0 slowly.

According to this link TWC has already deployed DOCSIS 3.0 in 60% of their nationwide footprint:
»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· s-in-nyc

One of the reasons it has taken TWC since 2009 to deploy DOCSIS 3.0 to at least 60% of customers is they have had to add SDV in some markets to free up bandwidth, replace old fiberoptic lasers, replace nodes completely in some cases and other various factors of reading their networks for DOCSIS 3.0 . One of the reasons Dallas the market I am in got DOCSIS 3.0 at the top of the list is we were a recent upgrade to 860MHz and had all of the equipment updated to handle DOCSIS 3.0 some of TWC's areas have old 750MHz line gear that is not capable of handling DOCSIS 3.0 so they have to replace it before they can deploy it in those systsms with some of the first 750MHz line gear products made in the 90s.

NYC26
@rr.com

NYC26

Anon

Re: I am wondering why you mention TWC as deploying D3.0 slowly.

Shouldn't they upgraded to 1GHZ instead of being on the same problem two years from now. Time Warner here in NYC is 860 too,and they removed 90% of the analog channels and implemented SDV on top of it and the quality of service sucks. They decided to waste bandwidth on gimmicks like star over,and others enhanced digital gimmicks. Of course they don't give a crap about the picture quality of HD channels and the 3/1 compression continue. I am done with these idiots and switching to DirectV since Fios is taking forever to wire my building.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Re: I am wondering why you mention TWC as deploying D3.0 slowly.

said by NYC26 :

Shouldn't they upgraded to 1GHZ instead of being on the same problem two years from now. Time Warner here in NYC is 860 too,and they removed 90% of the analog channels and implemented SDV on top of it and the quality of service sucks. They decided to waste bandwidth on gimmicks like star over,and others enhanced digital gimmicks. Of course they don't give a crap about the picture quality of HD channels and the 3/1 compression continue. I am done with these idiots and switching to DirectV since Fios is taking forever to wire my building.

well TWC in my are has some 1GHz gear but is mainly 860MHz I think maybe the line amps are 1GHz but the Motorola nodes are 860MHz and the aurora networks nodes are 1GHz. Here TWC uses 24 QAMs for SDV which is plenty.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

comcast 1ghz upgrade weirton/steubenville

Heard from multiple sources that the jefferson county ohio, hancock and brooke counties in west virginia are going to be 1ghz by the end of 2012.

•••••

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr

Anon

Sigh... again?

Going docsis 3 did not enable greater channel line ups. Going ALL/MOSTLY digital did that. They are NOT the same thing.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

We were one of the first upgraded

Springfield, MA (which is on the Westfield headend) got upgraded around December of 2008. When I first upgraded to D3, I was assigned an IP address that placed me in Longmeadow, which is an affluent suburb of working class Springfield. I once had a virtual presence in millionaire territory. At the time, they only allowed rented modems but I bought a modem and virtual life in suburbia ended as they gave me an IP address that placed me in Springfield. I live near the town lines of Ludlow and Wilbraham but that's Charter's turf (quite frankly I'm glad I have Comcast as I've heard bad things about Charter).

I currently have the Extreme 50 tier on my purchased Arris TM722G EMTA along with my CDV.

Now hopefully Time Warner will upgrade southern Maine to D3 as I would like to get a D3 EMTA for Grandma's house as they perform better even though she has no intention of upgrading her speed.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Re: We were one of the first upgraded

said by IowaCowboy:

Springfield, MA (which is on the Westfield headend) got upgraded around December of 2008. When I first upgraded to D3, I was assigned an IP address that placed me in Longmeadow, which is an affluent suburb of working class Springfield. I once had a virtual presence in millionaire territory. At the time, they only allowed rented modems but I bought a modem and virtual life in suburbia ended as they gave me an IP address that placed me in Springfield. I live near the town lines of Ludlow and Wilbraham but that's Charter's turf (quite frankly I'm glad I have Comcast as I've heard bad things about Charter).

I currently have the Extreme 50 tier on my purchased Arris TM722G EMTA along with my CDV.

Now hopefully Time Warner will upgrade southern Maine to D3 as I would like to get a D3 EMTA for Grandma's house as they perform better even though she has no intention of upgrading her speed.

Ip address location does not mean anything it is just where it is registered to by ICANN. My IP address says I am in Kansas but I am actually in Texas. When I got moved to an new Arris C4 CMTS my IP address no longer shows the correct city location when doing speed tests.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

U. S. Broadband continues to fall behind

Verizon has stopped rolling out FiOS to new areas. Comcast won't upgrade its entire footprint. Investors are only interested in short term profits and want any upgrades to be paid for with corporate welfare. Our national broadband policy (that is not based on fiber to the premises) is nothing but a crony capitalism bad joke. If it continues like this for another decade the state of our nation's broadband infrastructure will be right up there with third world countries.

jimi419
Dadof4
join:2002-03-14
Round Lake, IL

jimi419

guess i dont get it in Round Lake

Downstream
Freq/Power: 693.000 MHz 8 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 36 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 36.400 MHz 44 dBmV