dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-13 16:26:45: Last month Skype co-founder Niklas Zennström announced he'd be launching a new wireless carrier in 2012 that provides free wireless service. ..

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

I can just hear it Now

Vote for me and there will be an electric car in every garage, Broadband in every rural area, and free wireless for all from Skype.

I also hear the sounds, and smells of Bovine Scatology coming from the mouth of Niklas Zennstrom.

I hear what is being whispered on the wind "It aint going to happen".

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

And now 3 big Gov't agencies want Lightsquared killed off

And now 3 big Gov't agencies want Lightsquared killed off:
»old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ ··· tsquared

If FreedomPop really is basing their whole plan on Lightsquared, they are dead before they even started.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Publicity?

Do these guys simply realize that the network will unfortunately never be built, but know they can get free publicity for their company by just SAYING they would offer it?

Student
@mt.us

Student

Anon

Cellular One offers

Free service to select people in rural areas of Montana. They offer 30 months of free everything. Likely at the tax payers expense.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

Advertising supported free service fails

quote:
He noted the revenue model will be "similar to those proved on Web, whereby the heavy users subsidize the less active," and confirmed FreedomPop is actually pursuing a "freemium" model, where basic services are offered for free but premium services cost money.
This is the same model the billion dollar city-wide municipal wireless deployments pursued. They miserably failed. Sticking a new name (different color of lipstick) on a failed business mode does not mean pig will look pretty.

"Similar to those proved on Web, whereby the heavy users subsidize the less active" works when both tiers are a "pay for", it has not been proven to work when there is a free alternative.

Given the choice between *FREE* moderate speed, pop-up advertising internet and PAY-FOR internet...what will 90% of the consumers choose?
WHT

WHT

LightSquirrel is playing the "be a real man" card.

quote:
LightSquared accused the panel of bias and urged the Federal Communications Commission, which has jurisdiction over use of the electromagnetic spectrum, to retake control of the testing.
LightSquirrel is using the "real men don't neutered their dog" intimidation tactic and telling the FCC to stop letting pesky government agencies and real science stand in the way of LS getting what they lobbied for.

chpalmer
join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

chpalmer

Frequency adjust via GPS

Even if they get the ok to operate, they will never find enough radio sites that would let them build there.

Unless the other users on those sites that use GPS reference to sync their simulcast systems, transmitters, ect decide to quit their operations. Users of GPS include all wireless telephone carriers.

The cost of Lightsqid developing their own radio sites would put them over the top.

sparky2775
@bellsouth.net

sparky2775

Anon

Little do you know? They are collocating on towers with other carriers. I have seen the paper work to do so. They are working with the tower owners (upright Real Estate Companies) to collocate on towers with other carriers for a monthly rent. Also a monthly rent for the ground space inside the site compound. So its not as bad as you would think.

chpalmer
join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

chpalmer

said by sparky2775 :

Little do you know? They are collocating on towers with other carriers. I have seen the paper work to do so. They are working with the tower owners (upright Real Estate Companies) to collocate on towers with other carriers for a monthly rent. Also a monthly rent for the ground space inside the site compound. So its not as bad as you would think.

Contrary to this once they turn on something that cause the multiple other tenants problems the "real estate agents" will have to terminate leases or face mass exodus of those users and the ensuing lawsuits. That includes from government entities (911 radio systems included) commercial radio systems, ect... We all pay rent to be at our sites and its not cheap. So it has the potential to be very bad for all involved parties.