spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-17 18:28:58: For many years we've tracked Chattanooga, Tennessee's attempt to wire the entire city with fiber to the home using the local public utility, Electric Power Board (EPB). Back in 2007, the city council voted 8-0 to approve the $200 million project. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2

Next time

This time the lobbyist pockets were not deep enough.
I am sure Comcast and the like, will fix this.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

And yet.....

....Government is doing everything it can to kill off anything but the cable/phone duopoly. Outside of Verizon FiOS areas, cable can offer anything and it's better than the joke known as the phone company.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

Comcap and AT&Trash

LOL, that is EPB's competition? The worst cable company and the worst telecom company in the United States?

AT&T's pitiful 24/3 Mbps connections and Comcast's low monthly bandwidth caps that restrict you to using your connection at an average speed of 1 Mbps no matter what tier you subscribe to?

No wonder they're scared shitless. EPB Fiber is offering a steak and AT&T/Comcast are offering a piece of gum for the same price.

More cities should follow Chattanooga's lead and hand Comcast and AT&T's asses to them.

New York, NY
reply to Os

Re: And yet.....

That's not entirely accurate. It's really only AT&T that sucks major ass nation wide. Smaller phone companies like CenturyLink or Sonic.net are doing a better job than AT&T.

I saw 40/20 Mbps DSL from CenturyLink in Phoenix, AZ for $50 a month for example. Sonic.net has been offering 40 Mbps DSL for a while now and they're working on 1 Gbps fiber projects in California.

Unfortunately AT&T is a monopoly again so that "joke known as the phone company"... is probably AT&T, no matter where you live.

keithps
Premium
join:2002-06-26
Soddy Daisy, TN
Reviews:
·EPB Fiber Optics
reply to 45612019

Re: Comcap and AT&Trash

And let me tell you, life is rough for $70/month. I should note I've never been able to get more than 30Mb/s upload on test servers, even though I've got over 45Mb/s on torrents. Additionally, between my roommate and myself, we easily use 400-500GB bandwidth a month, up and down. We even managed to use 1.2TB one month, about 900GB of it was upstream, and so far, no nastygrams.

--
RIP Dad (10-28-1955 to 4-10-2010)

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to 45612019

And CenturyLink is jumping on to the cap as well next month.

In the former Sprint areas here, CenturyLink is offering a slumlord connection that maxes out at 5 Mbps. Same with Frontier in the dumped Verizon areas of WV.

mist668

join:2011-02-15
Middleburg, PA
Reviews:
·ProLog
reply to keithps

said by keithps:

And let me tell you, life is rough for $70/month. I should note I've never been able to get more than 30Mb/s upload on test servers, even though I've got over 45Mb/s on torrents. Additionally, between my roommate and myself, we easily use 400-500GB bandwidth a month, up and down. We even managed to use 1.2TB one month, about 900GB of it was upstream, and so far, no nastygrams.

[att=1]

I will never see anything that fast ever where I live in rural PA. Fastest I can get right now is verizon dsl 3/786

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to 45612019

Actually I think they all suck. For over a decade all of them have made all sorts of assertions and promises if a merger was OKed, if some municipality would not do their own ISP service, if this or that and some other thing did or did not happen that it would be a boon to competition and all manner of manna falling to the consumer.

Instead its done nothing but create duopolies and nothing for real competition while the consumer gained very little.

foo

join:2007-06-28
Chicago, IL

hrm

just don't get it. no one lives in chattanooga. wish it were somewhere else

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

That's not entirely accurate. It's really only AT&T that sucks major ass nation wide. Smaller phone companies like CenturyLink or Sonic.net are doing a better job than AT&T.

Centurylink can only give me 5mbps dsl here and 10mbps for the rest of the area. The cable company can offer up to 100 Mbps.

Where CL has its prism service, sure it does match or exceed the cableco offerings but that is a small minority of their service area.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to foo

Re: hrm

said by foo:

They got federal money. In other words you and I paid for it.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to mist668

LTE wireless... someday.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to 45612019

I wouldn't call Sonic an actual threat or even competition to ATT or a phone company. They're one a Reseller/CLEC that NEEDS ATT to survive.

If ATT ever decided to bring Project Lightspeed back out of the closet and deploy full FTTH like they have in several of the Ameritech Regions Sonic would nothing more than an Earthlink/AOL trying to stay alive on dial-up, and later become history along with other resellers.

Toledo, OH
reply to 45612019

other cities have actual priorities and actually serving their cities the way they should; focus on providing higher quality of water, and other essential needs; such as fire/ems rescue and police services instead of wasting money building out some FTTH network; hoping to be out of the red in 10 years.

And now many states have laws that state Cities are NOT allowed to get into these businesses and WASTE money due to the ones that decided to get into BPL or FTTH and FAILED and still owe thousands of dollars to these projects.

I can tell you at least 2 of those projects in Ohio that failed with more on there way. And the one was sold to Cinci Bell for pennies.

keithps
Premium
Soddy Daisy, TN
Reviews:
·EPB Fiber Optics
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by foo:

The federal money was for the smart grid, which they were doing anyway. They also financed quite a bit more to layer the internet/tv/phone on top of it.
--

New York, NY
reply to 25139889

Other cities know how to actually manage their budgets and infrastructure so they can have high quality water, fire/EMS, police, AND a fiber network without going bankrupt! I know, shocking.

I thought America was supposed to be "the greatest country in the world!" And then the brainwashed nationalists who spout that go on in the next sentence to talk about all the things America can't do because it doesn't have enough "resources" or money. So much for the "greatest country in the world" right?

The Scandinavian countries, Japan and South Korea certainly didn't cry this much. They put up and rolled out fiber alongside their solid water, police, fire/etc infrastructure.

It seems like nothing can get accomplished in the United States anymore. The days of Hoover Dam projects and moon expeditions are over. A key sign of a failing empire. It seems like all America can spend its money on these days is war toys.

keithps
Premium
Soddy Daisy, TN
Reviews:
·EPB Fiber Optics
reply to 25139889

According to EPB's last financial report: »www.epb.net/flash/annual-reports···port.pdf

It looks, best I can tell, that the fiber business is already profitable for them.
--

New York, NY
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by foo:

At least it actually went into something to help out fellow citizens instead of being funneled into the military industrial complex where it would be used to slaughter more brown people.

I'm glad to see my tax dollars helping build infrastructure in this country instead of being sunk into some Afghanistan warlord's pocket.

We could do with more of this and less of the warmongering.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to 25139889

Your city is almost certainly spending 10s or 100s of millions on projects that produce no value, not even to all those lazy fat cops and firemen.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to 25139889

Name them and provide references. I've heard of many muni-nets that were sued, or lobbied into oblivion, but none that collapsed under their own weight.

Toledo, OH

Clyde, Ohio bankrupt BPL network; State law blocked them building another network using FTTH.

The other Cincinnati bought- Lenanon: »www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=···6AItsjcw

Those are just TWO in Ohio.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

you are correct... we could have also used it to pay that *cough* 15T debt hanging over our heads. I would like for once not to be "working to pay china's interest off" for once.

Tsk...tsk..... I guess this is america... no one pays debts owed anymore. I must be doing it wrong!
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Arty50
Premium
join:2003-10-04
reply to 25139889

BPL was a non-starter. The city picked the wrong horse. FTTH however is a proven technology that they could have rolled out successfully.

That Heartland article is a joke too. "The failure of Lebanons telecommunications business illustrates why governments should not compete with private enterprise." That's utter hogwash, but I would expect nothing less from an organization such as the Buckeye institute. Someone should teach them about this thing called statistics. One failed muni cable operation does not make a sample. On the contrary, there are a multitude of municipal cable and broadband networks across the country that provide excellent service to their constituents at reasonable prices.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

At least it actually went into something to help out fellow citizens instead of being funneled into the military industrial complex where it would be used to slaughter more brown people.

I'm glad to see my tax dollars helping build infrastructure in this country instead of being sunk into some Afghanistan warlord's pocket.

The MIC is singlehandedly responsible for more employment in this country than anything else.

Building infrastructure is fine too but when the Gov't has to borrow another $1.2T from China and Saudi Arabia just to pay back its creditors, I don't think that giving a few select towns a subsidized fiber network is really that important.

New York, NY
reply to David

The majority of America's debt is held by Americans, not China. And I really don't give a shit about the debt. If the United States ever wants to get serious about paying off its debt it will actually raise taxes on the wealthy instead of continuing to decrease them.

America's national debt is quite possibly the biggest scam in human history.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to 45612019

CenturyLink...not so hot, depending on the area. Comcast has 105M DOCSIS 3 internet. CenturyLink? 12M, tops...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Wilsdom

said by Wilsdom:

Your city is almost certainly spending 10s or 100s of millions on projects that produce no value, not even to all those lazy fat cops and firemen.

you certainly are obtuse.

New York, NY
reply to iansltx

Whoo, 105 Mbps with a 250 GB bandwidth cap, can't wait to use up my monthly allotment of bandwidth in 4 hours!

For the last time: Comcast does not offer residential connections faster than 1 Mbps as long as they have that cap.

New York, NY
reply to fifty nine

Employing murderers and assistants to murderers, the military industrial complex is truly a noble employer indeed!

I love how Americans claim their country is "a force for good in the world" when their biggest industry is employing murderers and accomplices to build equipment for said murderers to use.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

. ...and I really don't give a shit about the debt.

That type of thinking is why we are in this financial mess to begin with.