dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-18 14:29:38: LightSquared has been under fire for the fact that tests have shown that their proposed hybrid LTE/satellite network interferes with GPS signals. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan

Up Shyt creek

the fact of the matter is ...Lightsquared ... youre FKD. Even the remote possibility of interfering with GPS (which the entire US population depends on now) will lead you down the road to nowhere.

GPS is just one of those things where excess unused capacity is a good thing and was designed as such for a very good reason.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Lightsquared buying old FCC insider to get leverage?

Is LS using the contacts of a previous FCC head engineer, that is now a Lightsquared consultant, as a way to reach and influence or discredit current FCC policies? It wouldn't be the 1st time an FCC insider has sold themselves to the people they used to regulate.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Isn't that kinda the point of testing?

[Testing] was conducted in total secrecy, involved selectively choosing discontinued hardware with limited to no filters for testing, and that the process selected an "extremely conservative definition of failure" unrelated to real world GPS performance intended to increase failure rates.

Isn't that kind of the point of testing? Not the secrecy part, but testing with older devices with conservative definitions/limits? If oil companies developed a new fuel formula, don't you think that they would test it not only with the newest vehicles, but also with older models?

With something like GPS, I think it would be the safer approach to err on the side of caution rather then be liberal and approve something that may work with newest devices, but would break millions of existing ones without some type of an upgrade.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

said by cdru:

Isn't that kind of the point of testing? Not the secrecy part, but testing with older devices with conservative definitions/limits? If oil companies developed a new fuel formula, don't you think that they would test it not only with the newest vehicles, but also with older models?

This is true but in LightSquared's warped sense of reality, those of us with GPS receivers should scrap our paid off equipment and buy new to cover up their spectrum pollution which may or may not work regardless. Hopefully the FCC and government can run out the clock on this company so they collapse under the weight of all their expenses. The next milestone will be January 31st when Sprint can decide to grant another extension to their collaboration or pull the plug.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to StLCardsFan

to StLCardsFan

Re: Up Shyt creek

The last thing we need is for someone's Lightsquared internet connection while they are doing a speed test here at BBR to interfere with the GPS signal of an intercontinental ballistic missile aimed at our enemies

- FM

hbgraul
@rr.com

hbgraul

Anon

Lightsquared and lies

I don't consider myself able to participate in any technical discussion of the specifics, but when I learned that the whole business is the brain child of a suspect investment banker I smelled lies in the wind immediately, they being the sort of snakes that brought the economy low a few years back.

Flibbetigibb
@lmco.com

Flibbetigibb

Anon

Damn skippy they used a conservative definition of failure.

The Air Force doesn't give a rat's ass about commercial GPS vendors. Their concern is LightSquared interfering with military GPS receivers, and rightly so. Bombs being jammed by LightSquared's kludgey network and guiding to the wrong place would be, um, bad.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear

Maybe Iran will want to inquire about this technology?

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH to StLCardsFan

Premium Member

to StLCardsFan

You kidding me?

Everyone knows lightning fast wireless Pr0N is more important than things like weapons guidance, airliners and the 100's of other uses for GPS.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Flibbetigibb

to Flibbetigibb

Re: Damn skippy they used a conservative definition of failure.

Do "smart" bombs use GPS? As LightSquared has shown, GPS is seemingly easy to jam.

I thought smart bombs (i.e. cruise missiles) determined their location using internal terrain maps combined with real-time RADAR/LIDAR. They follow major terrain and literally "recognize" their target in an almost "visual" sense. This approach is very tough to fool and jam. Provided the internal maps are current, it's pretty hard for an adversary to hide/relocate a large geographic feature like a mountain or valley in an effort to send the bomb off-course.

deheza
join:2004-06-10
Allen, TX

deheza

They want us to pay to correct their interference problem!!

I've been in the RF communication field since 1954. Mostly Avionics and Marine electronics and communication. I know the frequencies they propose to use would interfere with GPS. Their attitude is personal, small business ( Farmers and Surveyors ), Airlines, Marine users and Military just need to purchase new GPS equipment and all will be OK.
I feel the same way about BPL internet; the interference problems are too big to make it practical. The faster BPL internet is, the more interference it creates. When the interference is cut to a dull roar it is slow enough that it's not very marketable.

Flibbetigibb
@lmco.com

Flibbetigibb to rradina

Anon

to rradina

Look up "JDAM" when Wikipedia comes back online...
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to Flibbetigibb

to Flibbetigibb
I agree. Light-squared needs to prove that they don't interfere with all existing receiver+antenna combinations. Providing a workaround isn't enough, people expect to install their GPS systems and not worry about them again.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

brooklyn bridge of spectrum

someone sold this company a bill of goods on this spectrum... that's turned out to be fools gold.

nevertheless, with AT&T and Verizon duopolizing the (wireless) industry-- companies squatting on spectrum are NOT going to be getting any NEW spectrum (other than the deals in process excluding lightsquared) anytime soon.

this makes you wonder why the major carriers are crying poor when consumers want unlimited bandwidth. sure, some congestion management and FAIR USE POLICY should begin to apply but the carriers have NEVER historically proven that they ran out of spectrum. what was at fault was the LACK OF BUILDOUT of the current spectrum with INVESTMENTS in NEW technology (such as 4g) and redundancy of footprint-- using the SAME frequencies. today's technology is thousands of times more efficient than old analog cell service per MHZ.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Flibbetigibb

to Flibbetigibb

wiki is NOT a valid source for reference. And wiki is up online if you translate and use another country. so their "blackout" FAILED.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

You just hit esc before the black out loads. But it did not fail. Wikipedia has advertised the issue to more people than anyone else.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Flibbetigibb

Premium Member

to Flibbetigibb
Yeah, in case they needed to bomb targets within the United States, while LightSquared was operating in the area....

However, I think LightSquared is screwed, although they did make a few valid points.

sundrop
Premium Member
join:2004-08-21
Springfield, MO

sundrop

Premium Member

Bigger Fish

Being as how over the last year we have "accidentally" dropped several BLU-110/B at the wrong target. I say there is bigger issue's the (PNT EXCOM) needs to handle.

JDAM
@comcast.net

JDAM to 25139889

Anon

to 25139889

Then look up JDAM anywhere else on the internet and find...pretty much the same information as on Wikipedia.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

2 recommendations

r81984 to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
said by 25139889:

wiki is NOT a valid source for reference. And wiki is up online if you translate and use another country. so their "blackout" FAILED.

wiki has links to valid sources. That is what people use it for.
As for the blackout it is Javascript so all you need to do is disable JS or hit stop really fast while the page is loading to stop the JS cover from loading.

The block was to help people like you who have no idea how technology works to learn how our government wants to control the internet.
Your post = fail
r81984

r81984

Premium Member

Why wont they give up?

They built their business model on being able to trick the FCC to approve the spectrum they knew would cause interference from day one.
Good thing the FCC could not be bought this time.
Now they are in bash FCC mode, i guess they think they can somehow arm twist to get their waiver approved.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to FutureMon

to FutureMon

said by FutureMon:

The last thing we need is for someone's Lightsquared internet connection while they are doing a speed test here at BBR to interfere with the GPS signal of an intercontinental ballistic missile aimed at our enemies

- FM

Where is this hypothetical enemy located? Any supposed interference would be in the continental US not anywhere else in the world. Also why does the missile not have better filters to block out the type of interference that is claimed to result from Lightsquared use of their assigned frequencies (which are not allocated to GPS usage but are being seen by the GPS equipment which are looking at the Lightsquared frequencies when they should be ignoring them.
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop

The last time I dealt with ICBMs was as a Launch Crew Commander, the missiles didn't use GPS for guidance.

nodog
@fluor.com

nodog

Anon

GPS is interfering with LightSquared

Read »www.forbes.com/sites/dan ··· l-sides/

DaveRickmers
join:2011-07-19
Canyon Country, CA

DaveRickmers to KrK

to KrK

GPS is also used to navigate airplanes. Not just for imaginary missiles. Airplanes full of people.

errno
@comcast.net

errno to nodog

Anon

to nodog

Re: GPS is interfering with LightSquared

Receiving outside spectrum isn't interference, transmitting is. Lightsquareds power output will bleed into GPS due to the high power considering adjacent signals are supposed to be satellite based.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to RARPSL

to RARPSL

@Austinloop - ya learn something new every day.

Prior to learning that, however, I was going to reply to RARPSL with the following (which now would appear I'd have been talking out of my a$$ but it would have been my logical assumption)

1) We have lots and lots of missile silo's throughout the country. Think Kansas. These things have got to go over our land on their way to their destination, wherever that may be.

2) Why would these preinstalled GPS systems on the missiles require a filter to block out interference that has not been present due to the exclusive use of the band up until now. They'd presumably have to retrofit all the missiles with new filters to do such blocking if Lightsquared had the capability of encroaching on the signal space.

Flibbetigibb
@lmco.com

Flibbetigibb to KrK

Anon

to KrK

You mean like the live bomb drop tests that happen all the time on military ranges inside the US?

Nah, it wouldn't matter at all if LightSquared were operating in, say, Las Vegas or Pensacola or Los Angeles. Nobody lives there...
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to FutureMon

to FutureMon

ive thought about this some ... quite a bit actually. I think having the public network so close to guidance systems has doom written all over it.

I mean really ... look at something as simple as a hacker unlocking/locking/starting/disabling cars ... i dont think we need the entire world having access to GPS frequencies. True ..one could say that millions have GPS receivers ...but thats the point ...receive only.

I am no radiospectrum scientist ...but even the remote possibility could prove to be catastrophic.

YOu dont get the 777 dreamliner back ...nor the JDAM bomb once its set off course with GPS interference.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Flibbetigibb

Premium Member

to Flibbetigibb

You haven't been following the discussion. LightSquared doesn't completely jam GPS, but it can interfere with precision positioning made possible by using many different satellites including ones that are at the far limits of range and have frequency shifted via the doppler effect.

So, it's possible that LightSquared operating near a bomb range could cause a GPS guided test missile to miss the target by several yards vs a foot or two..... Yes..... but go way off target and threaten personnel or civilians away from the target.... not a chance.

Also I am unaware of guided bombs that fall by gravity being GPS based. They may have them, but I am unaware of them. That would seem inherently dangerous to me.
page: 1 · 2 · next